Camp Hancock was a tent city supplemented by 1,319 temporary buildings consisting of mess halls, showers, latrines, stables, garages, storehouses, infirmaries, administration buildings and barracks. The campsite proper measured 1,777 acres, while the entire tract was 13,811 acres, according to The Augusta Chronicle's archives.
Wrightsboro Road and Wheeless Road (now Highland Avenue) ran through the camp, which featured nine miles of clay and sand roads. Water and electricity lines were installed.
In its final configuration, Camp Hancock could accommodate 45,099 troops. The highest number of soldiers in camp in any one month was 35,148 in October 1918. The lowest number was 11,824 in May 1918, when the 28th Division went overseas.