Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHAT'S UP WITH all the city and county employees and police officers getting fired in McDuffie County? How come no one can actually come up and make a statement or give a comment as an official as to what's going on?

I'VE BEEN LOOKING at this here Republican field for the 2012 election, and I tell you what. The field itself is a joke. I really respect Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty, but Mike Huckabee has turned into a showman, and he says he used to be a preacher. But Donald Trump is a joke. Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin, no way. And Newt Gingrich, way too much baggage.

THIS IS A RAVE . We want to thank the drama teacher and the students at Greenbrier High School for the fantastic job they did putting on the play Peter Pan . It was very professionally done, and a good time was had by all who attended.

THIS IS A RANT . Augusta utility employees -- not workers -- caught smoking pot while they should have been working is the worst case of waste, fraud, theft, etc. Now the question is, what are they going to do to them? That's typical Augusta government. Hiring known criminals.

COUNT ME IN for boycotting this year's Summerville Tour of Homes. I refuse to give any of my money to an organization so it can hire lawyers to keep a church from providing a safe environment for our children. Once Summerville comes to its senses and gets some common sense, I might patronize its tour again.

TO THE OFFICER who put in 18-plus years: You are no different from anyone out here We all miss events in our child's life for our work. You are not due anything but your paycheck and retirement. To "take" what you think you deserve is stealing from taxpayers -- no different from a Walmart worker taking a few bucks from the register because she thinks she works the hardest but doesn't get paid enough.

WHAT IS GOOD for the goose is good for the gander. Demand mandatory drug testing for all elected officials and all Richmond County personne.

WHY IS IT BP OIL'S gas is anywhere from 1 cent to 10 cents higher, and the rest of them are going up too. We need to boycott BP.

THIS IS A RANT for Columbia County transportation. We still have five brand-new special ed buses sitting in the field out here, that have been here since October. Your children are still out here on hot buses that could be in a brand-spanking new bus. Somebody needs to look into this.

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 03/25/11 - 11:42 pm
Regarding the Summerville

Regarding the Summerville neighborhood comment: It's a NEIGHBORHOOD, not a business district. I commend them for protecting their rights as property owners. Churches don't pay property taxes, or have we all forgotten that? Sorry, I forgot, liberals only play the "separation of church and state" card when it is to their benefit.

mike71345
mike71345 03/26/11 - 12:54 am
The Parsonage Books & Gifts,

The Parsonage Books & Gifts, 2232 Walton Way
Here is another disgusting example of what churches are doing in Summerville, and it's right next to the proposed daycare. Is there no stopping these hideous commercial enterprises? This one even says it operates for profit. Vile, vile! Where are my smelling salts.....

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/26/11 - 05:26 am
On the comment about Donald

On the comment about Donald Trump, calling him a joke. Do yourself a favor...and I'm being serious here and not disrespecting you...listen to what he has to say and you might change your mind. He really has some good things to say, things that I was surprised at. Maybe it's time we ditched the political way of thinking to help get our country out of this mess..after all, the politicians are what got us here, right? Maybe it's time we ran it more like a business..much the same way we run our own households. Just listen to him next time he talks about running. The politicians are scared of him running because he'll expose them for what they haven't been able to do.

carcraft
carcraft 03/26/11 - 05:35 am
Lets see-Palin-A mayor, Head

Lets see-Palin-A mayor, Head of the natural resources board for Alaska, Governor, and helped her and her busband build a multi million dollar business. Mike Huckabee- Baptist minister, successful Governor and talk show host. Bachman-successful lawyer, congressmen and business women..Gingrich -speaker of the house and brilliant historian. Obama community organizer and votes present, destroying our energy production and jobs, unemployment at records highs for record periods, who thinks there are 57 states and Kentucky is next to Arkansaw is OK Whew, pass the kool aid. Probably didn't mention the tea party favorite Hermen Cain because Cain is black and the writer didn't want to be thought a racist!

carcraft
carcraft 03/26/11 - 05:38 am
Oh Trump-only one out there

Oh Trump-only one out there with the "stuff" to head on confront the birther issue..still waiting for Abercrombie to produce Obama's birth certificate or certify the one on line as being accurate...LOL I will wait and wait and wait BWAHAHAHAHAHA

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/26/11 - 06:30 am
Re: Republican candidates.

Re: Republican candidates. Looks like all of them you have named except Bachmann has more experience than Mr. "community organizer" Obama. I'm not crazy about Romney and his MA healthcare snafu but other than him there is not a socialist among the rest. Pick one, any one, and they would be better than "present" Obama. Personally I am hoping Mike Pence runs, but Pawlenty would be okay too. And I will bet every one of them has a birth certificate they can show.

bclicious
bclicious 03/26/11 - 07:30 am
Fine, let's bring up the take

Fine, let's bring up the take home car issue for law enforcement officer's again.

Here's the only 2 alternatives that I have:

#1. Do like Hawaii does, and have all police officers in Georgia use their Personally Owned Vehicles. The County reimburses police officers for insurance, gas, maintenance, etc.

#2. All law enforcement officers turn their vehicles in. Claim your mileage and gas expenses as a work related expense on your tax returns. Oh, and when you are off-duty, turn off your cellphones, and any other communication device in case your department even thinks of calling you in during an emergency. In other words, when you are off, you are OFF!

I really don't want to do either one of these options, but since folks out there are in such an uproar over police vehicles, this is the best I got.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/26/11 - 07:36 am
You just had to bring it up

You just had to bring it up again...didn't you...LOL

Who is Mike Pence?

Good am Augusta/CSRA...

Smoke On The Water
Smoke On The Water 03/26/11 - 07:38 am
To "I've Been

To "I've Been Looking".............Check out Freshman Florida Congressman Allen West.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 03/26/11 - 08:12 am
Here's my 2¢

Here's my 2¢ worth...enjoy.

All municipalities are cutting costs...get used to it..the good ole boy system is dying...and everyone not doing their jobs is at risk.

Let God be true..and every man a liar.

Good to see someone appreciates the fine arts..must not be a Republican.

Augusta gov't doesn't hire known criminals..they ARE known criminals.

Summerville tour of homes is a promotion done around Master's to tout the old historic districts...why does this bother anyone? As for the laws governing the use of a non-profit to establish a daycare inn a residential area...let the court decide.

Public service is an unrewarding job. No thanks most of the time and everyone wants to throw stones...don't like what they do or say...go do it yourself for a while and then just be quiet once you realize how difficult it is.

Drug testing is a violation of personal privacy. Period.
Unless you cause an accident or hurt or damage someone or some thing, you should not be held to this requisite. I work for myself and don't ask about people's live during their off time. That's their biz. If they show up and do their work, what do I care what they do when no under my supervision? Get off this track folks. Big brother is looming just around the bend.

BP, locally has always been higher than competition...so what's new?

Key words are "Special Ed" buses...what part of your own rant do you not understand?

It's another Naturday...go get those plants planted before it rains..mow those lawns and enjoy the cooling down before Easter...it always happens, always will..the Earth endures and we will still be here as long as it does....then go have that cold one and relax in your easy chair as the sun peeps in and out...wait for the rain...it's coming.
Now go out and win one for the gipper, give more than you get, and help out your elderly neighbor who can't do as much these days...you'll be glad you did.

God bless n G'day.

dani
dani 03/26/11 - 08:40 am
The University Hospital

The University Hospital daycare center will be non-profit? I missed that part.

Emerydan
Emerydan 03/26/11 - 08:58 am
Funny thing about rant# 5, if

Funny thing about rant# 5, if you say essentially the same exact thing on the comments under the article about the woodlawn daycare in today's edition, it will be promptly removed.. So how can something be ok to be printed in The Rants and Raves, yet not ok in the comments section under an article? strange

happychimer
19565
happychimer 03/26/11 - 09:51 am
Hotrod has not been found. I

Hotrod has not been found. I don't know why people put ads in the paper and won't respond to phone calls. Someone found a bob tail cat, and won't answer their phone, and won't return calls.

ADAMS
ADAMS 03/26/11 - 10:40 am
Its good employers give a

Its good employers give a criminals a second chance,for non- violent drug offenses, but majority of time people with out a criminal records are the ones who committ hideous acts like church,school,public officials, and work place shooting massacre. I never read or heard in the news a non-violent drug offender went may-hem.,so who can employers trust when they hire people for employment?

dani
dani 03/26/11 - 11:58 am
That is awful Happy. They

That is awful Happy. They might have gotten rid of the cat, I hope if they have that they found it a good home..

dani
dani 03/26/11 - 12:15 pm
happy...I did a search for

happy...I did a search for the phone number and found where the same number was used for a "found" Akita some time ago. The number might belong a foster home. Check with all the rescue shelters.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 03/26/11 - 12:17 pm
Their mailbox was full, but

Their mailbox was full, but now it is not full. About an hr ago I called again, and it went straight to voice mail. I left a message, but nothing yet. I hope it is not a sick joke someone is playing.My daughter called and called yesterday and got no answer. I know she has been calling today too.

corgimom
corgimom 03/26/11 - 12:45 pm
"If they show up and do their

"If they show up and do their work, what do I care what they do when no under my supervision? Get off this track folks."

Drug testing isn't about personal privacy, it's about reducing insurance premiums. An employer doesn't have to do drug screens; but then they pay astronomical liability premiums and workman's comp insurance.

If you don't want to be drug tested, don't take a job where the employer does drug screens. Problem solved.

dani
dani 03/26/11 - 12:52 pm
For a while we had a foster

For a while we had a foster home for lost and abandoned animals in our neighborhood. There are several rescue shelters listed on Google.....

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/26/11 - 02:15 pm
Happy, did you do a 411

Happy, did you do a 411 reverse phone search? If you still have my email address, email the number and I will try to check out the location for you.

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 03/26/11 - 02:16 pm
I wonder if county employees

I wonder if county employees are permitted to smoke cigarettes in the county vehicles.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/26/11 - 02:26 pm
Happy, Email me the number!

Happy, Email me the number!

happychimer
19565
happychimer 03/26/11 - 03:44 pm
ok Sarge. Let me find your

ok Sarge. Let me find your address.I found it and sent it to you. thank you. Maybe you will have better luck.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 03/26/11 - 07:19 pm
I think there was no bob tail

I think there was no bob tail cat found. The ad was a fake. They saw my posts that Hotrod was missing.

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 03/26/11 - 08:17 pm
It does not hurt the poor

It does not hurt the poor little kiddies to be on a hot bus. I never rode a school bus with AC.

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 03/26/11 - 08:20 pm
dichotohmy what is going to

dichotohmy what is going to happen when Donald Trump runs for president with gingrich as his vice president.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 03/26/11 - 09:06 pm
"On a side note, the next

"On a side note, the next time you see an officer in uniform, please walk over to them, shake their hand, and tell them how much you appreciate their service!"

With over a Trillion $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ saved up by the drug Cartels that could be used to arm sleeper cells ALREADY IN PLACE we may want to shake a cop's hand and thank them sooner than later as FBI & OTHER intel indicates later may be too late.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/26/11 - 09:18 pm
I became personally aware of

I became personally aware of one drug-trafficking network about 2000. Some of the key players are now in various prisons, but they left some pretty annoyed people (co-dependents, enablers, customers, friends, families) behind, to say the least. The nightmare continued and continues through the present. Based on the results of this most recent guns and drugs sting, their illegal industry continued to thrive. I am thankful for every good officer I would gladly shake their hands. For any and every dishonest, compromised and or corrupt one, I'm too polite to write what I'm thinking. And yes, it may be too late, but we can't give up as long as drug-trafficking is an illegal enterprise.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 03/27/11 - 05:41 am
Corgi, to your comment using

Corgi, to your comment using mine in quotes, I'm not big on insurance either..biggest rip-off in this country's history...to me, drug testing is a violation of my personal rights, be it for alcohol or legal or illicit drugs...heck for all I know, herbal tea made from fresh herbs could cause a drug test to fail...don't trust the tests, their results or the employers who depend on them...but that's just MHO.

corgimom
corgimom 03/27/11 - 08:32 am
Nobody forces anyone to take

Nobody forces anyone to take a job, ZE. Adults need to pick. Do they want to work or do they want to do drugs? I made my choice, other people can make theirs.

I like to eat, pay my electric bill, and put a roof over my head. But if someone would rather do drugs, let them; but then they can deal with the consequences of their choice.