Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

JUST SPENT THE DAY at the Richmond County School System staff development. My three instructors (all with doctorates) used "ain't," double negatives, incorrect pronunciation and other grammatical errors. Oh, yes, they told us we need to teach using "formal English." Let's practice what we preach and set an example for students, parents and teachers!

AFTER SEEING THE recent census results for the CSRA, there's one conclusion to be made: Augusta is a dying city. Being originally from Michigan, Augusta reminds me of a small Detroit in many ways. When we moved to this area, there was no question that we would live in Columbia County and not Richmond County. It looks like we are not alone.

TO THE PERSON who saw a Columbia County deputy dropping off kids at school in the patrol car: I saw a Richmond County deputy dropping off kids at a school in North Augusta!

AFTER READING THE comment made by someone who saw a deputy drop off two children at a middle school using a county vehicle, I had to make my own comment. I have been a deputy for 18-plus years, and during that time I have served the public faithfully. I have at times placed the job above the needs of my family. Many a time I have missed birthdays, Christmases, school plays and, most of all, spending time with my family. I believe I have earned the right to drop my children off at school as I am on the way to work.

PRESIDENT OBAMA taught a constitutional law class at an elite university. Why then did he say was it unconstitutional for a president to launch an attack against a non-threatening nation when he was a senator but now as president it is OK?

AMERICA'S SUPPOSED to be so broke. Here we are, going to spend millions and millions of dollars butting into Libya's business.

AN INNOCENT YOUNG MAN was killed again and authorities are wondering why. The answer is obvious to most of us. It's been going downhill for years since prayer and discipline were taken out of schools and parents were being told how to punish their children or not. Wake up before it's too late, if it's not already. Our prayers are with the family of James Gillette Jr.

COME ON, COMMISSIONERS , let's put the power hunger aside long enough to clean up the streets of Augusta and spruce up our town a little bit. The Masters is coming, and trash is everywhere. Let's get ready for the people all over the world coming into our wonderful town, but it's so embarrassing at this particular point. Let's clean up. Thanks, commissioners.

omnomnom
omnomnom 03/24/11 - 12:19 am
Wednesday, Mar. 23 12:58 AM

Wednesday, Mar. 23 12:58 AM "...get it(sic) lit or get it(sic) down"
finally, I agree with usapatriot! this is truly a time of great progress!

Itsnotaclowncar
Itsnotaclowncar 03/24/11 - 05:25 am
To Faithful Deputy Use of a

To Faithful Deputy
Use of a take home car is a priviledge not a right. It doesnt matter how long you have served. It is against county police and SO Policy. If you have been here 18 years you should know that. Once you get into your car you are on duty. Putting your children in it puts them at risk. Hopefully your just a troll trying to make us look bad. If you are a real deputy, then maybe you need to pull out your policy manual.

bclicious
bclicious 03/24/11 - 06:04 am
In argument of

In argument of ITSNOTACLOWNCAR's comment, and the other negative comments regarding the deputy using his patrol car to drop off his kids at school on the way to work; I would have to say that it is not really a big deal. If the majority of people in Columbia County and the Sheriff's office really think that this is a status offense, then I would suggest that the deputy quit and go to another department with better priorities then chastizing a deputy for dropping his kids off at school on the way to work.

Come on people, get a life. Oh, and Mr. Deputy (ITSNOTACLOWNCAR), don't pretend to be innocent. If you have been in the business for a few years, then I gurantee you that you make mistakes from time to time, and you sometimes do things that are not completely within the policy and procedures of CCSO. If you say that this is not so, then you must be a robot, because every human-being I know is subject to being flawd and making mistakes.

In closing, SUPPORT LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT and stop chastising us every chance you get. You never know, you might actually need our help one day!

Itsnotaclowncar
Itsnotaclowncar 03/24/11 - 06:12 am
Yes I have made "MISTAKES"

Yes I have made "MISTAKES" and I have flaws but I have not intentionally violated policy and I certainly dont think it is my priviledge to do so due to my term of service. And I certainly havnt violated any CCSO policies. Mainly because I dont work there. Most agencies have the same policy, I am sure some dont. And the reason it is a big deal is it gives people another reason to complain about LE. Especially now with the fuel crisis and some local agencies are considering taking away the priviledge of a take home car you would think these guys would be more careful. And Bclicious I guess you dont care about the risk that the children are put in the moment they get in that car. Police cars have been shot at and intentionally targeted in the past. Just the simple fact that a deputy with children in the car could run up on an serious accident. What is he going to do, drive on by or do his job and stop to help. Lets see the complaints come flowing in when he keeps on going.

And Mr. Deputy Bclicious, yes support your local law enforcement. You never know when you might need OUR help one day. Hopefully if I ever need backup I wont see a patrol car just drive by because he is taking his kids to school.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/24/11 - 06:36 am
Get a grip folks.....about

Get a grip folks.....about the police droppin off his kids..
Could the mother be in the hospital
Could the mother be at a JOB
Maybe sick
If he left them at home alone what would you say then
I have been married to security with official cars....believe me there are times when it is necessary for the FATHER to take the kids to school.

They also MISS a lot of birthdays-family group reunions---funerals--etc.
BECAUSE of their JOB....

Martinez
Martinez 03/24/11 - 06:48 am
As an adult child of a

As an adult child of a retired LEO - Let me tell you that I find this whole arguement rediculous. Officers and their families make countless sacrifices, some even pay the ultimate price. If an officer goes home to see his/her family on a lunch break, uses his company vehicle to pick a sick kid up from school, or yes, even drives their children to school once in a while - don't judge. That moment in route to school or that quick moment over dinner may be their last. More so then most professions, those familes understand and accept that at a moments notice or at the whim of the nearest crack head, their lives can be changed dramatically. If using their department vehicle for a few minutes helps acheive some resemblence of work life balance, something hard to find in an officer's life, I say we applaud him/her rather then point fingers and pick a part a profession everyone needs but only a few have the personal strength, committment and compassion to endure.

Martinez
Martinez 03/24/11 - 06:53 am
BTW - I don't believe for one

BTW - I don't believe for one minute that Itsnotaclowncar is a true LEO, contracted securty officer maybe, but definitely not a true member of the local police family. Anyone who has truly worn the uniform knows nothing is as black and white as you would like to state here and believe.

augustarookie
augustarookie 03/24/11 - 06:57 am
As a former officer, we knew

As a former officer, we knew the rules and pay when we signed up. Who pays the bills if an accident with injuries occurs while transporting civilians?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/24/11 - 07:00 am
I agree martinez......you

I agree martinez......you have to walk the walk to know the facts of the LEO's job......
Some think that all work 8-5pm.....Mon-Friday....what a joke!!

Sometimes LEO's (esp. fire officials) are on the job 24+ hours----maybe away from family for days.

justus4
justus4 03/24/11 - 07:05 am
"Misuse of government

"Misuse of government property" is a common joke among active duty military folks when a known "screwup" would return from liberty wreaking of booze, but government/public officials benefiting from the use of government assets constitutes a violation. Here is how it works: If leadership allows such acts, then it will be done, however, only the good 'ol boys will get that benefit. A minority employee would/could be fired for such violations, so the real question is: Are government/GSA assets being misused by particular individuals and who approved that usage? What annual fuel costs are increased by the violations? Where is the oversight and have offenders been disciplined? Don't expect any answers because such behavior is institutionalized and violations selectively enforced, which cost taxpayers millions. Yep, personal business should NEVER be conducted at taxpayer expense, but as long as
particular individuals are doing it, it's OK. Expect no changes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/24/11 - 07:07 am
Who pays the bills when a

Who pays the bills when a police car is involved in an accident w/civilians?? Accidents happen in the real world---not pristine.

When a policeman drives his car to his home it has many positives....usually the neighborhood is better protected & he can save time responding....some areas will give LEO's incentives to move to certain areas......more positives than negatives...imo

Trouble
Trouble 03/24/11 - 07:33 am
morning all, sorry to head

morning all, sorry to head about 30 cal, i only met him once, but he seemed like a good guy. my prayers to his wife and family

Trouble
Trouble 03/24/11 - 07:36 am
as to all these comments

as to all these comments about police dropping kids off at school im not saying this is the case, but when you listen to the scanner, almost every morning you hear where some sorry excuse for a parent cant get their sorry excuse for a student to go to school, so they call the cops......maybe they are just taking those kids to school.......

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/24/11 - 07:54 am
Good morning

Good morning trouble......hope your job is treating you right....missed you.

Trouble
Trouble 03/24/11 - 08:02 am
morning seenit, my job is my

morning seenit, my job is my job, being treated right isnt really an option....i need a new one....lol have to leave in an hour to get my butt to work, and missed you too

Itsnotaclowncar
Itsnotaclowncar 03/24/11 - 08:26 am
I have been walking the walk

I have been walking the walk for 12 years and still do. I understand things happen, emergencies, car break downs, spouse is sick etc... The thing some people are always looking for a reason to complain and when they see that they will. My main issue is with the rant from the faithful deputy who says its his right. Its not his right, You work at the pleasure of the Sheriff if your with an SO. If it is not his pleasure, your fired. You dont have the right to keep the job no matter how long you serve. If it against the faithful deputies departmental policy to drive his kids to school but he feels its his "right" to do so he is wrong. So many people have the feeling that LE thinks its above the law and can do whatever it wants without punishment. This guys comment confirms that it in so many peoples minds.

I hate seeing some of the complaints on here. I have been complained on before for speeding, not smiling, not wearing my hat etc... But I also hate that some of the complaints are valid. People are going to complain sometimes no matter what you do. But why give them a reason to do so.

And who pays for accidents when you have unauthorized civilians in the car. If you are driving your kids in the car and you get in an accident, you have violated policy so the county is not going to pay for it. Your personal insurance probably wont pay for it so it will be on you. There are times an authorized civilian may be in the car (stranded driver, a transport etc...) so the county would pay in the event of an accident, unless the deputy was at fault he may end up footing the bill.

doglover123
doglover123 03/24/11 - 08:32 am
It is my understanding that

It is my understanding that LEO's have to get permission to have a family member ride in a county vehicle. Also, they sign a waiver stating that the County would not be held responsible if the individual is injured in an accident.
And, to Itsnotaclowncar, I don't believe for one second that, if you were in fact a true LEO, you NEVER used a patrol car for personal reasons. Admit it, you probably stopped on the way home to pick up a gallon of milk on several occasions. And, while you were on your "10-10", you probably drove off your beat to go eat somewhere.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/24/11 - 08:34 am
And I can't imagine you

And I can't imagine you riding down the road w/o a smile on your face....the NERVE of some people.....I'm smiling now...thanks!!:O)

poolmom
poolmom 03/24/11 - 08:35 am
Turns out Columbia County has

Turns out Columbia County has a policy that allows Deputys to use the patrol car for things other than work. They can also use the patrol cars on specials where they make extra money on the side. We the tax payers are paying for that gas and vehicle maintenance. I understand being a deputy is a sacrafice but you chose that profession! And the pay stinks but YOU chose that profession!

WW1949
WW1949 03/24/11 - 08:40 am
Give a little lattitude to

Give a little lattitude to the officer that drops his children off at school on the way to work. Just understand that he or she will have to pay any hospital bills if anything happens on the way. Good grief, theey are out there with the dreggs of society all day and all night.

Itsnotaclowncar
Itsnotaclowncar 03/24/11 - 08:40 am
Yes, I have stopped at the

Yes, I have stopped at the store on the way home to get milk or something like that when it was allowed but lately they are discouraging that now. And you are allowed to go off your beat on your 10-10 as long as it didnt exceed crossing over two beats. Night shift leaves you with limited choices.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/24/11 - 08:46 am

This is for all the coffee groups "Better Git To Livin" & esp. for car this am.....have a reat day & SMILE-SMILE-SMILE..

doglover123
doglover123 03/24/11 - 09:00 am
Poolmom, yes, they chose that

Poolmom, yes, they chose that profession, but what would your life be like if they hadn't? Hmmm... you probably would have been the victim of a burglery and wouldn't have that computer so that you can sit there and gripe about something as trivial as a deputy taking his/her child to school, your car probably would have been stolen and you wouldn't have a car to drive yourself to YOUR chosen profession, or, God forbid, you probably would have lost a loved one to a murderer.
Just get over the fact that they're allowed to use their cars to take their children to work and get on with your life. Also, it wouldn't hurt to tell a Law Enforcement Officer or a member of our Armed Forces, the next time you see one, Thank You for the sacrifice they're making so that your family can sleep better at night.

bclicious
bclicious 03/24/11 - 09:08 am
Your right POOLMOM, In

Your right POOLMOM,

In reference to "I understand being a deputy is a sacrafice but you chose that profession! And the pay stinks but YOU chose that profession!"

It is our fault for chosing to be law enforcement officers; therefore, we should all quit, and let you guys reap what you sow. You guys think that we suck, and we have a bad attitude. Well, mayber your right. Do away with all law enforcement, then you can deal with your own criminal problems. Good riddens!

bclicious
bclicious 03/24/11 - 09:07 am
Hmm, I wonder what it would

Hmm, I wonder what it would be like if you dialed 911 and no one picked up? Poolmom, maybe one day you will find out!

doglover123
doglover123 03/24/11 - 09:18 am
AMEN, bclicious!!

AMEN, bclicious!!

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 03/24/11 - 09:27 am
I see the Richmond county

I see the Richmond county patrol car dropping a kid off at a North Augusta school almost every morning...I'm not sure how I feel about the actual use of the car, I mean, they need to get their kids to school too...
But it drove out of the one-way entrance once...and I am hoping it's just because they didn't know, and not because they wanted to beat the long line,...believe me, I've been tempted.
(BTW, as with most school entrances...the line and parking lot must have been designed to create the most confusion EVER!) :P

Jane18
Jane18 03/24/11 - 09:52 am
I guess none of you people

I guess none of you people have ever seen a city, county, or state vehicle(not just law enforcement) out conducting their private business in a government vehicle, right? I have, and I reported it!

beach bum
beach bum 03/24/11 - 10:02 am
to all vets please complain

to all vets please complain to your state reps (John Barrow) what obamacare is doing to the VA it now takes 3 to 4 months to get a clinic appt and they are so understaffed that no one is picking up the phone aI talked to a few staff members and I know it's not because they don't want to help

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 03/24/11 - 09:56 am
I just don't appreciate

I just don't appreciate county workers using county vehicles on their own OFF time so they can put in the gas bill on the tax payers dime. That isn't right. Now if the cop was going on duty that morning and just dropping his kids off on the way...that's one thing. But I hate county workers who just use that county car even when they are off so they don't have to foot the gas bill.