Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

This is to the nurse who recently transferred to Augusta and was surprised by all the obese people. Welcome to Augusta. When you sit around all day and drink beer and eat candy you're bound to become obese. And when your kids watch you and sit around all day and watch TV and eat candy, they become obese.

I could not agree with you more, Mike Sleeper . As a taxpayer it "smells really bad" and is "fiscally irresponsible" to pay an employee for work not performed. Smells even worse to pay the highest-paid employees of the CCBOE, who also did not work those snow days, and only take the paycheck from the non-professional employees that are already working every day before the professional employees' alarm clocks go off.

Thanks to the Masters Tournament that the city gets an overhaul once a year. I guess if there were no Masters the entire city would go to the dumps!

As a fellow boater on the Savannah River, I'm still concerned about the unmarked, unlit, anchored dock in the middle of the river in front of Riverwalk. The dock was used by River Keeper Tonya Bonitatibus, in her effort to gain new members for the Savannah River Keepers . The dock has remained unoccupied since Saturday, which means it has had no anchor light required by DNR regulations. So I strongly suggest with her 500 new members that she achieved during her excursion that they should all get together and go retrieve the dock and relocate it to a more suitable location that is safe for boaters like myself.

This is a double rave to our friends the Japanese. With all the tragedy going on over there, God bless them. You hear of no complaints, no government blame, they're so ambitious, they're starting to clean up. There's no looting going on. God bless their disciplined upbringing.

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/18/11 - 02:48 am
rant.....

rant.....

strib1
strib1 03/18/11 - 07:43 am
you ever look a chicken in

you ever look a chicken in the eye?????

kmb413
kmb413 03/18/11 - 08:31 am
must be a vegetarian. I

must be a vegetarian. I looked a cow in the eye. Looked pretty empty.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/18/11 - 08:34 am
GM will close plants because

GM will close plants because parts can't be delivered from Japan----job loss in theUSA because of problems in Japan----geeeez
When are we going to wake up in this country...we have crippled ourselves in our economy because of these stupid decisions..
Could the next headline be ---People starving in the US because food can't be shipped from other countries---people naked in the US because clothes can't be shipped from other countries--people homeless in theUS because materials can't be shipped from other countries....

WHY NOT JUST SHOOT OURSELVES IN THE FOOT!!

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 03/18/11 - 08:45 am
WHY WE SHOOT DEER IN THE

WHY WE SHOOT DEER IN THE WILD
A short story from someone who wants to remain anonymous, who farms, and actually tried this.

I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up-- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope.

The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold.

The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it. It took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope - and then received an education. The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED. The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A deer - No Chance! That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined. The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this since the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head had mostly blinded me. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between that deer and me. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in. I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite?

They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and slide off to then let go.

A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective.

It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp... I learned a long time ago that, when an animal -like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer. So obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are lying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away. So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope. Sort of even the odds!!

All these events are true so help me God....

An Anonymous Educated Farmer

Cadence
Cadence 03/18/11 - 09:12 am
That was the funniest thing I

That was the funniest thing I have read in a long time!

Jane18
Jane18 03/18/11 - 09:12 am
Although Japan has religious

Although Japan has religious freedom, approximately 64% do not believe in GOD, our GOD. Their religions are Shinto, Buddhism, Taoism, Confusianism, and some folk religions. They do allow Islam, but they believe in gods(little god). You really do have to admire their strength and resilience, but that is about all. Don't think I haven't prayed for them, I have.................

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 03/18/11 - 09:34 am
"While I kept it busy tearing

"While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose."

Tying yourself to a DEER?!? Ha haha...

I used to jump off my horse onto Deer and try to haul them down to the ground like calf roping.
You had to be quick and nail them hard or they would try to K-I-L-L you. I got laughed at because of my "super suit" that looked a lot like a bomb squad member, and now you all know why.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/18/11 - 09:24 am
Hatfield..I'm laughing so

Hatfield..I'm laughing so hard that tears are flowing...thanks!

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 03/18/11 - 09:27 am
I'm glad y'all enjoyed the

I'm glad y'all enjoyed the short story!

tbonitatibus
tbonitatibus 03/18/11 - 09:39 am
To whomever was concerned

To whomever was concerned about the dock in the river at 8th st. The dock was moved Tuesday morning at 10am. I did discover on Saturday evening that the lights we had left on the raft were not in order, but as soon as this was discovered we went back out and turned the lights back on, and placed more strategically around the dock. That was done at 11pm on Saturday evening. We do apologize to anyone who experienced trouble during the period of time between nightfall on Sat and 11pm.

unbiased_propaganda
unbiased_propaganda 03/18/11 - 09:50 am
As a concerned citizen who

As a concerned citizen who actually uses his boat, I was out there this week and the raft had been moved and was not obstructing anything.

Can people just be happy for an organization, a nonprofit organization at that, that works to clean up a resource that EVERYONE should be working to protect?

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 03/18/11 - 11:07 am
The raft was always lit up or

The raft was always lit up or had several lights outlining it from the Riverwalk and other places from what we observed ourselves. The person that couldn't see it may need a River Guide. I hope we are able to somehow put the raft back out there with maybe solar lights or something cause it was an attraction and a handy place to tie up to...

dobenator
dobenator 03/18/11 - 11:11 am
To the first ranter, oviously

To the first ranter, oviously not a hunter. #1.Any hunter knows you dont look in a deers eye, the kill zone is farther back and a bit larger. #2. What has taking care of childern got to do with deer hunting?#3. Using a scope ensures the deer wont run off after being shot, cant have wounded deer running through the woods!#4. Venison(thats what deer meat is called) is much better for you than beef!.#5 Your last comment is just mean and spiteful, you should be ashamed.#6. I think the world needs more folks like Mrs. Johnson, she is a true southern lady!

inthearea
inthearea 03/18/11 - 11:52 am
I am a female with 2

I am a female with 2 children. I hunt. I enjoy it. I also eat the meat. It is Lean and good for you. I alway babysit kids. Although I don't understand what that has to do with deer hunting. Soooo....What's the problem????

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/18/11 - 12:22 pm
"How can a woman who used to

"How can a woman who used to take care of our children shoot deer? And look in their little eyes. Deer are beautiful. And she also uses a scope, so she does not give the deer a chance. She doesn't need the deer to eat. She's fat enough as it is."
_______________________

This "rant" is so despicable and idiotic, I have to rebut! Yes, look into the beautiful eyes of deer, but not at 45 to 65 miles per hour. In Columbia County alone, over 600 deer were killed by colliding with cars and trucks, and caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in insurance claims. This equates to your insurance policies increasing and the fact that the deer population in Columbia county is growing faster than ever before. Hunters provide venison not only for themselves, but also for underprivileged families in our area. Deer are beautiful animals, which God gave us dominion of. Too bad He didn’t give us dominion over rude comments about someone saying another is too fat!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/18/11 - 12:24 pm
That's over 600 deer in one

That's over 600 deer in one year, folks, in just one county! Imagine what it was for the year!

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 03/18/11 - 12:33 pm
Great story Hatfield!

Great story Hatfield!

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 03/18/11 - 12:36 pm
Man,there ain't nothing

Man,there ain't nothing better than a bacon wrapped backstrap grilled just long enough to get the bacon crisp.

justfred
justfred 03/18/11 - 02:11 pm
Well....seems our cowboy

Well....seems our cowboy president just got us in another war

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/18/11 - 03:51 pm
LOL...great story hatfield!!

LOL...great story hatfield!! (and well written)......I do not hunt but have no qualms about those who do...and I love venison and always appreciate it when hunting friends share.

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/18/11 - 04:00 pm
As for the local folks being

As for the local folks being overweight, not sure who you hang around with but I personaly do not know Anyone who sits around all day drinking beer and eating candy but hey thats just me.......so to the nurse.. just what part of the Country did you move from?......Obesity is a Nationwide problem...did you see the size of those idiots in WI ?... and Nebraska has some of the largest women I have ever seen...........folks in Boston are a bit hefty too.... and so on and so on..........

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/18/11 - 04:27 pm
Thanks for that cautionary

Thanks for that cautionary tale Hatfield! And BTW, I love venison!

corgimom
corgimom 03/18/11 - 04:44 pm
There are people that like

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/18/11 - 05:37 pm
""There are people that like

""There are people that like rats, too, but we still eliminate them every chance we get- because they are vermin, capable of spreading disease to humans- just like deer.""......................

And please lets not forget the "tree rats",the only good one is a dead one.

corgimom
corgimom 03/18/11 - 05:44 pm
AMEN!

AMEN!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/19/11 - 07:29 am
I wonder how many billions we

I wonder how many billions we will spend rebuilding Libya?

impossible
impossible 03/19/11 - 11:55 am
Democrat Senate Leader Reid

Democrat Senate Leader Reid and fellow Democrat Senators say they would rather shut down the government rather than quit giving taxpayer money to Planned Parenthood. To Democrats, killing babies must be more important than normal governmental operations.

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.