Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

WHY CAN'T WE get our roads resurfaced? Farmer's Bridge and Fulcher roads have so many potholes until it's best to drive in the middle of the road. Richmond County has been called so many times and all they do is come out and put a little asphalt in the holes. The asphalt lasts a couple of months if we are lucky. Lately they have been fixing the potholes by putting dirt in the holes instead of asphalt. I guess we will soon be driving on dirt roads again.

CARS ON THE road are to bikers what bikers are to the folks using the Greeneway in North Augusta. They go way too fast, almost run into us, cut us off when they pass and clearly think the path belongs only to them. My heavens, we all have to share the space; fast walkers, slow walkers, babies being pushed in strollers, kids on tricycles and rollerbladers.

A RANT TO anyone who thinks that just because you're doing the speed limit you should be in the left lane. The left lane is for turning left or passing. If you're not turning left or passing get in the right hand lane and quit blocking traffic! Oh yeah, take your bikes to the Greeneway and you will never get hit by a car.

CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN to me why the Obama administration sent a rented ferry to pick up the Americans out of Libya and now they're sending our warships and our planes to pick up Egyptians to take them home to Egypt. Can anybody explain this to me? What am I missing here?

I WAS JUST wondering, does the downfall in south Richmond County have anything to do with Underwood Homes and Gilbert Manor homes being torn down?

MY FRIEND AND I were in Wendy's on Washington Road on Sunday night and a nice young man paid for our meals. We do not know who you are, but we greatly appreciated your kindness and God bless you.

THIS IS A RANT for the commissioners and the mayor. The commissioners took on the job of representing their districts. If they can't do that, then resign. They are getting paid for doing nothing. As for the mayor, he should've known what his duties were before he was sworn in office. All of you, take a leave of absence and study your bylaws. The citizens and taxpayers are getting tired of the games you all are playing.

CAN PEOPLE JUST put their foot on the gas pedal and give it some gas within 10 seconds of the light turning green? This way more than two people would be able to get through the light before it turned red again and it would really speed up the traffic in Augusta, especially at 5 o'clock.

TO THE PERSON in the Rants and Raves who said cell phones should not be used in vehicles. I disagree with you. I always carry my cell phone with me when I am away from the house, in case something happens and I need to call back home for something.

copperhead
copperhead 03/07/11 - 01:29 am
Can anyone explain how social

Can anyone explain how social security,which has been deducted from EVERY paycheck for 45 years,has become an "entitlement"?

carcraft
carcraft 03/07/11 - 05:26 am
copperhead-easy, the Supreme

copperhead-easy, the Supreme court has ruled SS is a TAX and you have no right to any benefit from that tax! Social Security has also broadened benefits to the point where people who never pay in "this from Fox news-But PRUCOL aliens are not nearly the major threat to social security. The Bush administration has reportedly completed a draft of a treaty between the U.S. and Mexico that will give the Mexican government at least $345 billion in Social Security payments for Mexicans who have worked in the U.S. legally and illegally. The treaty, which is unique in that it provides a foreign government Social Security money even for those of its citizens who have worked illegally in America, may be timed to coincide with the 2004 elections." so there you have it the US government at work-and people think they can run a health care system!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 03/07/11 - 07:36 am
By defination, an entitlement

By defination, an entitlement is a benefit that a qualifed person is given by the government. When you reach the qualifing age, you are then entitled to receive Social Security. The term is now such a "buzzword" against the spending the government is doing to support people who are receiving these benefits. My suggestion is to change the terms for qualification or give better enforcement to ensure the benefits are well-deserved, instead of blaming the people who are getting them. Don't cry about and blame the spilled milk, instead, prevent the milk from spilling!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/07/11 - 09:11 am
Where did the folks at

Where did the folks at Underwood Homes move to?

Farmers Bridge & Fulcher Rd. areas were the ole stomping grounds of my granmama.....I traveled the roads going to her favorite fishing holes...sweet memories....so fix those holes how bout it!

true2self
true2self 03/07/11 - 10:02 am
Thank you!!! Finally someone

Thank you!!! Finally someone complaining about Farmer's Bridge and Fulcher Rd!!! I live out there too and have to drive them everyday and they are awful! Can someone please fix them? And not just put dirt in the hole. When it rains the dirt gets washed away and then its right back where you started at!!!

daphne3520
daphne3520 03/07/11 - 10:08 am
Rant # 3 & 8:

Rant # 3 & 8: KUDOS!!!!!

Last Rant: Of course you do! especially while talking on it, going under the speed limit, in the passing lane, simply because NO cellphone user can multi-task while driving!

daphne3520
daphne3520 03/07/11 - 10:09 am
Rant # 3 & 8:

Rant # 3 & 8: KUDOS!!!!!

sassylassie
sassylassie 03/07/11 - 10:28 am
Why was that last rant rave

Why was that last rant rave whatever even put into the paper today? Don't we have anything better to rant or rave about? That was a waste of space.

corgimom
corgimom 03/07/11 - 10:48 am
Carcraft, honey- it's not

Carcraft, honey- it's not 2004, and there no longer is a Bush Administration.

Illegal immigrants are not entitled to Social Security.

corgimom
corgimom 03/07/11 - 10:49 am
How did people cope with life

How did people cope with life before cell phones?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/07/11 - 02:19 pm
Corgi, left a note on the

Corgi, left a note on the kitchen table.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/07/11 - 02:24 pm
Last ranter: Cell phones

Last ranter: Cell phones should not be USED in vehicles; no one is saying you can't carry one with you for emergencies. Just stop the car in a safe place to make the call!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/07/11 - 02:26 pm
Re: potholes. I overheard a

Re: potholes. I overheard a fellow customer being told to be careful not to hit any more potholes or he would need another alignment. Customer stammered, "but I live in Augusta!"

KSL
KSL 03/07/11 - 02:32 pm
Re your email AutumnLeaves,

Re your email AutumnLeaves, look in tomorrow's paper. If not tomorrow, later this week, but prior to Saturday. Have seen a copy.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/07/11 - 04:20 pm
Farewell PTHS, love ya

Farewell PTHS, love ya broner.

Nammmy
Nammmy 03/07/11 - 04:21 pm
w00t! Just in memory of

w00t! Just in memory of Nammy
Posted by JerryAtrick on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:07 PM

Turn the page and a w00t! for PTHS. Will miss you buddy! (':
Hitting the ole 420 for ya too!!

Nammmy
Nammmy 03/07/11 - 04:25 pm
You bumped mine outta there

You bumped mine outta there Roadkill? lol
Hey, I found the above while searching other stuff today and wanted to include it....AND hit the 420 for PTHS but you beat me to it. Guess they can't post us both at same time? Dunno....anyway. RIP PTHS!! Missing you!! (':

Now I'm outta here.........tgc ya'll!

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/07/11 - 06:05 pm
charle sheene fired..??? whos

charle sheene fired..??? whos cares?...how a bout some real headlines...

burninater
burninater 03/07/11 - 06:07 pm
Cycles of freezing and

Cycles of freezing and thawing are the biggest cause of potholes (that's why the roads up north are so much worse when it comes to them). A lot of roads are going to be a MESS after this particular winter ...

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/07/11 - 07:35 pm
and another ....too much

and another ....too much trouble....screw it.......

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/07/11 - 06:11 pm
Just read about PTHS...RIP my

Just read about PTHS...RIP my friend...loved your wit and truth....
I'm sure you are arguing with St. Peter about the height of those gates and that is as it should be..enjoy your wings my friend!!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/07/11 - 07:12 pm
Sorry I missed the 4:20, but

Sorry I missed the 4:20, but I posted over in Docsville!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 03/07/11 - 07:15 pm
Carcraft says; "The Bush

Carcraft says; "The Bush administration has reportedly completed a draft of a treaty between the U.S. and Mexico...."
___________________

The Bush administration?

crackerjack
crackerjack 03/07/11 - 07:53 pm
Goodbye all you great

Goodbye all you great posters, it used to be a lot of fun, but I've had enough of these pc police.

KSL
KSL 03/07/11 - 08:09 pm
I know what you mean. I have

I know what you mean. I have not been targeted, but I'm not posting here very much anymore and know a lot of people who are not posting at all. Just check out the numbers of posts. Indeed things did get out of hand with personal insults, horrible ones, but the pendulum has gone way too far in the other direction.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/07/11 - 08:56 pm
May he rest in peace.

May he rest in peace.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 03/07/11 - 11:43 pm
Sad day. At one time I

Sad day. At one time I could'nt wait to see what was going on here.

corgimom
corgimom 03/07/11 - 11:52 pm
Yes, KSL, my offer of posting

Yes, KSL, my offer of posting my house for bond still stands.

And yes, it's not much fun anymore.

hdrider
hdrider 03/08/11 - 05:39 am
Hey, this is "DoubleD" aka

Hey, this is "DoubleD" aka "Garand" aka "Dowland" what happened to PTHS? Obviously he passed. When? Sorry, but i'm still in Belgium and didn't keep in touch.

hdrider