Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

TWO PRIGGISH MORONS who recently ranted about driving no faster than the limit in the passing lane show the reason for tailgating. These speed-limit nuts should be publicly flogged and their vehicles confiscated and given to the poor. If you can't drive it, park it. If you can't park it, walk.

THE HOPE SCHOLARSHIP program is typical of government at work. It was supposed to pay its own way with winnings from its gambling. But politicians started "giving" away more than they took in -- sound familiar?! Now Georgia House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams wants it to have a "loan" program for students who don't meet the GPA requirements. Wasn't the original idea to reward students who did meet that average? She just wants to tax Georgians and then hand over the money to kids who failed to meet the standards. Wake that poor woman up to the fact that socialism has never worked.

A RAVE FOR THE courteous and caring staff at St. Francis Animal Hospital. We had a 4-week-old puppy with a trauma injury and had no local vet available during the evening hours. We drove into Augusta from Thomson, and the staff at St. Francis took care of our precious puppy and went above and beyond to make sure that we were informed of his condition and that he was getting the best possible care.

COLUMBIA COUNTY BOARD of Education, how do you people sleep at night for what you are doing to those poor people? There has to be another way to work this problem out without messing over these custodians in the county.

MY VERY SERIOUS fifth-grader came home from her elementary school in Columbia County today, saying it was crazy hair day. They took an important writing test and she was extremely distracted by all the commotion. I hope her test score is not affected by such nonsense.

LET ME SEE IF I GET this right: Record high temperatures prove global warming while record low temperatures do not disprove global warming. Yep, that makes a lot of sense.

DOES ANYONE KNOW who won the "Battle of Aiken" this year?

MY PROBLEM IS NOT fog lights. It's the blueish headlights. They are blinding. Much brighter than high beams. How can they be legal? Law enforcement, please do something about it.

IT'S GOING ON 6:30, time for the evening news and not one of the three networks, ABC, NBC and CBS, had the top story that our soldiers were killed in Germany. That should've been the top story. CNN on the radio had it as the top story. Our soldiers were killed over there today and some were critically injured. This is a terrorist act and it should be a top story. We don't even care about our soldiers like we should. I turned back and forth and none of them had it as a top story at all. I think it's a shame that we don't care about our soldiers at all.

Tell us what you think
the kid
the kid 03/05/11 - 06:10 am
lets see the battle of aiken

lets see the battle of aiken , i would say the tax payers lost.

wildman
wildman 03/05/11 - 06:35 am
If you have a problem with

If you have a problem with the Columbia County BOE call Mike Sleeper and tell him someone with a camera or microphone will be there. Sleeper has never met a camera or microphone he didn't love.

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/05/11 - 09:09 am
Is this todays paper or

Is this todays paper or yesterdays??

etlinks
etlinks 03/05/11 - 09:22 am
RANT#1"speed limit nuts" so

RANT#1"speed limit nuts" so you think obeying the speed limit is wrong, I believe you are the problem.

Martinez
Martinez 03/05/11 - 10:00 am
Many schools have special

Many schools have special celebrations and do little things to relax students, put them at ease or heck just celebrate their hard work. If they had a "crazy hair day" on the day of testing, which would be a bit more unusual then doing it the day after or before, there certainly shouldn't have been commotion during the test itself. The testing environment should have followed State standards. If your daughter is saying that they did not, you have voiced your concern in the wrong place.... contact the school, county and/or state.

The speed limit rant is wrong on many levels. To imply that folks following the law shouldn't drive as to not inconvenience those who don't follow the law ..... Good Luck with that! Hopefully the person gets caught and can add $ to the state coffers during this down economy.

CC custodian jobs must be reviewed like any other. If there are overstaffed, cuts are needed. No one likes cuts but I would sooner have one custodian at a school them 45 kids in a class.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/11 - 10:14 am
The bluish lights blind me

The bluish lights blind me too.....don't like them...
Nightly news only covers Lohan & Charlie Sheen.....& everytime I see Sheen come on I CHANGE THE STATION......one night he was on 4 stations at the same time.....what have we become in the good ole USA....it is trash tv 24 hours a day now.
Hillary was right when she said AL JAZEERA has more news & fewer commercials than we have .

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/11 - 10:16 am
Washington Commons....how was

Washington Commons....how was your meal last night?? Betcha it got a little better....lol
Let us know if we can help you with that..

daphne3520
daphne3520 03/05/11 - 10:44 am
Rant # 1: AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Rant # 1: AMEN!!!!!!!!!

dani
dani 03/05/11 - 11:33 am
I would prefer to see those

I would prefer to see those who are tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic park their cars. The roads would be safer.

A friend was sideswiped at the intersection of North Leg and W'sbor rd by a guy in a tan van who was trying to get ahead of another driver. While she called 911, he sped off. (and hasn't yet been located)

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 03/05/11 - 01:36 pm
And not the first remark

And not the first remark regarding our soldiers getting killed in a non-combat but TERROR situation. We have become too complacent and don't give much thought to what should be more important than an idiotic driver (as an example) that is begging for a speeding ticket.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/05/11 - 01:55 pm
Okay, it's bad enough there

Okay, it's bad enough there is a crying baby at the library in one computer section, managed to find a place away from that. For the past 20 minutes a staff member has been instructing another adult at a computer, both speaking in a normal voice, quite loud at times. I wouldn't mind having lessons on the computer, too, but not when it is inconsiderate of other patrons of the library. Since when do people not whisper in a library?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/05/11 - 02:26 pm
Okay, the crying baby and

Okay, the crying baby and instructor are preferable to the noise that sounds like a frog singing coming from a nearby computer station and someone playing something faintly resembling music on their headset. The rules are for everyone else, apparently.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/05/11 - 02:31 pm
Same goes for speed limits,

Same goes for speed limits, too, I guess. The only drivers that should be going faster than the speed limit are emergency vehicles or drivers in emergency (life and death) situations. Everyone else should not be in the passing lane unless they are passing someone that is going UNDER the speed limit or they are trying to avoid an accident or as law requires us to move over for an officer's vehicle that is pulled over to ticket or assist someone. Of course, if there is an obstacle, please do the same, carefully. Speeding is illegal. Don't do it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/11 - 02:32 pm
Leaves...Can we chip in

Leaves...Can we chip in together & buy you a used puter from CGEE? You can then wifi from other locations while having a cup of coffee/w Baileys creme & when I'm in town I will join you & we can talk about south Richmond county & how we could improve the whole messy situation....wow this sentence just keeps going.....
:O)

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 03/05/11 - 02:36 pm
In my business our employees

In my business our employees use foam ear plugs when working around a lot of noise. They are quite effective just like noise cancelling headphones are when traveling on a jet. The "whisper in the library" days are "Gone With The Wind", Sec 2, Row 4, 3rd book from left.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 03/05/11 - 02:45 pm
If everyone drove like I do

If everyone drove like I do then traffic would move along more safely and quickly. In 45 yrs of driving, I have not been involved in an accident that was my fault. I cannot stand loafers who stay about a block away from the person in front of them or 4 car links from the person in front of them at a red light. That is why I never get behind a Volvo driver.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/11 - 02:49 pm

What happened to the good ole days...
kids behaved in school
libraries were quiet zones
traffic was steady
guns didn't make it to school grounds
laws were obeyed
contact 24/7 was unheard of
tv news was REALLY news & not fluff
gas was 35cents a gallon
most houses cost less than $30,000
kids played outside MOST of the day
veggies were grown from your own garden
neighbors watched out for you & your kids
crime in neighborhood was rare
poiticians were honest--ooops on that...lol
"sigh" wishful thinking.......& country music was the VERY BEST

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 03/05/11 - 03:18 pm
On another note, long time

On another note, long time readers and posters of Rants and Raves will surely recognize the poster PTHS. He had other names as well as he kept getting bounced from the AC for various violations. Well, the man has passed away today.
I know a few of the posters he would target with his insults, myself included. But on his demise I have no malice for the man. I wish his friends and surviving family members peace and condolences during their time of grief.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 03/05/11 - 03:46 pm
PS. Go Gators!! (Just for you

PS. Go Gators!! (Just for you PTHS as know I'm a Bulldog fan).

dani
dani 03/05/11 - 04:40 pm
Boog...That is so sad. Thank

Boog...That is so sad. Thank you for letting us know.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/11 - 04:52 pm
Boo...I'm so sorry to hear

Boo...I'm so sorry to hear that ....he targeted me too at times but he was a witty poster & many have missed his humor.....sweet dreams pths......Proud To Have Served

KSL
KSL 03/05/11 - 05:15 pm
Whoa!

Whoa!

justthefacts
justthefacts 03/05/11 - 05:25 pm
Classless, but then......

Classless, but then......

KSL
KSL 03/05/11 - 05:27 pm
The kid, pray tell, what do

The kid, pray tell, what do the taxpayers have to do with the Battle of Aiken?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/11 - 05:28 pm
Happy....Mental & physical

Happy....Mental & physical pain will cause the bad side to come out of many people...I know because I have shown my backside many times & usually when I was in the most pain.

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 03/05/11 - 05:28 pm
#1. I hope you have great

#1. I hope you have great insurance and lots of money in the bank. If you hit me or my family you are going to need it. Tailgateing and speeding are two of my pet concerns. Leave ten minutes earlier, get off
the cell phone and obey the law or pay the price.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 03/05/11 - 07:23 pm
removed by poster

removed by poster

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 03/05/11 - 07:24 pm
removed by poster

removed by poster

KSL
KSL 03/05/11 - 06:45 pm
I think what we were saying,

I think what we were saying, in so many words, it that you could have left out the "I won't miss him" part of your post.

KSL
KSL 03/05/11 - 07:00 pm
As for the Battle of Aiken,

As for the Battle of Aiken, if there is any taxpayer money spent on in, like extra law enforcement for traffic control, it probably pales to the amount spent by people who come from multiple states, stay in the hotels and motels and eat at the restaurants. Several years ago my husband and I went out to brunch on Sunday morning at one of Aiken's upscale restaurants. We were seated at a large table with a number of Union Colonels who were not locals.

Thomson game adds security

THOMSON, Ga. -- McDuffie County officials will add extra security precautions tonight after fight rumors circulated related to the last Thomson High home football game of the season.