Officials can't prove texting led to death

The Richmond County coroner said Friday that it is "un-provable" as to whether a teenager was talking or texting on her cell phone moments before she fatally struck a utility truck two weeks ago.

Coroner Grover Tuten subpoenaed phone records after Brooke Moye, 17, died Feb. 14 on Jimmie Dyess Parkway at Belair Road.

Tuten said there is a six-minute time difference between the last call at 3:45 p.m. and the moment that dispatchers were notified of the wreck at 3:51. No texting was listed on her phone records near the time of the accident.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/05/11 - 12:34 pm
It really doesn't matter.

It really doesn't matter. What a terrible tragedy. I hope other cellphone users took note.

Taylor B
Taylor B 03/04/11 - 06:00 pm
I guess you could ask who she

I guess you could ask who she was talking to... but that wont change this.

John Locke
John Locke 03/04/11 - 07:43 pm
Why is a coroner commenting

Why is a coroner commenting on an aspect of proximate cause of an accident. They examine bodies, not phone records. All he needs to do is determine the cause of death medically. Does he know how to read phone records forensically? Did he bother to ask for text records? Does he know talking and texting are two different things, requiring use of different motor skills? Something doesn't sound right, it sounds somehow like the wrong questions got asked by the wrong person.

lylagirl
lylagirl 03/04/11 - 09:10 pm
So what was the cause... I am

So what was the cause... I am sure this child just did not deliberately hit a telegram pole....God be with the family ..... this has to be hard to deal with....we know that she is with God.....

dougk
dougk 03/04/11 - 10:06 pm
Lylagirl: "Telegram pole?"

Lylagirl: "Telegram pole?" "What was the cause?" She slammed into a utility truck. My sympathies certainly go out to her familiy and friends, I did not know the young woman, but I certainly need a drink now.

lylagirl
lylagirl 03/05/11 - 04:46 am
Just don't drive if you do

Just don't drive if you do get a drink dougk....agian my prayers go out to the family....

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/05/11 - 06:50 am
Grover Tuten certainly picks

Grover Tuten certainly picks and chooses the things he wants to get involved in. He should stick to seeing that autopsies are performed on those who die under questionable circumstances as required no matter the family.

Under Georgia law, autopsies are required in deaths occurring:

1. As a result of violence;
2. By suicide or casualty;
3. Suddenly when in apparent good health;
4. When unattended by a physician;
5. In any suspicious or unusual manner, with particular attention to those persons 16 years of age and under;
6. After birth but before seven years of age if the death is unexpected or unexplained;
7. As a result of an execution carried out pursuant to the imposition of the death penalty;
8. An inmate of a state hospital or a state, county, or city penal institution; or
9. After having been admitted to a hospital in an unconscious state and without regaining consciousness within 24 hours of admission.

belle
belle 03/05/11 - 08:56 am
Would the phone records show

Would the phone records show if she was typing a text that had not yet been sent? As difficult as this time is for her family I would love to see her parents make a statement that she WAS texting (whether or not they can prove it) because this accident made a HUGE impact on the teens at Evans High and if they have the thought of her texting while driving and her outcome, maybe they would hesitate to text while behind the wheel.

John Locke
John Locke 03/05/11 - 10:48 am
Very good point belle.

Very good point belle. That's my concern, that kids will hear that it wasn't texting and think its safe or ok. As a coroner he determines the physical condition just before death or cause of death. What then caused a driver to go 60 mph into the back end of a stopped truck other than not paying attention. So many things can distract, but I have kids who drive and texting is my biggest concern, especially with girls for some reason. There was the girl in south Richmond right at the beginning of the year as well. I find girls much more daring and reckless than boys when driving, again, from my own experience with my kids. However, I would feel more comfortable if the sheriff's department investigation resulted in some sort of finding, rather than the coroner. And yes, even it if isn't proven it was texting, it can't be proved it wasn't either. That's the point.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 03/05/11 - 11:14 am
She hit the rear of an AT&T

She hit the rear of an AT&T bucket truck. These trucks are large and very heavy, and as the truck was stopped (if I remember correctly), it was a terrible obstacle for her to impact with.

I saw a photograph of the accident later that day. The impact lifted the rear end of the truck up to what appeared to be the limits of the truck's suspension. I would imagine that death was probably instantaneous.

Very sad for her family and for her teachers and classmates.

As to the 6 minutes between her last phone call and the 911 call, that would seem to me to be long enough to justify the doubt about whether or not she was using her phone at the time of the accident.

It's still possible that she was composing a text message when her vehicle struck the truck, but unless her phone survived the accident and contained an unsent text message on screen (in the process of being composed), I doubt it will ever be known. I'm not sure, but I think that text messages are only timed and dated when you send them, not while your typing them.

crackerjack
crackerjack 03/05/11 - 12:29 pm
Leave this young ladies

Leave this young ladies family and friends to grieve in peace and privacy. Leave it as a matter of distracted driving and let her rest in peace.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/05/11 - 12:32 pm
Good Point crackerjack! Also,

Good Point crackerjack! Also, let the coroner do his workl

corgimom
corgimom 03/06/11 - 12:38 am
"All he needs to do is

"All he needs to do is determine the cause of death medically."

No, that's not true. He has to determin if a death was by homicide, suicide, or accident. Since it is not normal for anyone to slam full speed into the back of a truck, his investigation is very understandable.

kissnina
kissnina 03/09/11 - 06:44 pm
I will help you all

I will help you all understand. She was not texting nor was she on the phone. The last person she talked to was a friend while she was at the pits with the car stopped. She was not on the phone when she was in the accident because her phone was off. She had to get off of the phone with her friend because her phone was dying. The last thing a few of her friends told us was that my radio was starting to mess up, and knowing Brooke she was trying to mess with it so I would not be upset. So yes her attention was someplace else and she didn't see it coming. And if you know that part of the road you know that the light sneaks up on you and with the sun right in your face, that white truck may not have been seen by her. You can look away for just a split second and then its to late. I am grateful she did not suffer. I am sorry that her boyfriend was minutes behind her and had to find her gone the way he did. How do you think he feels seeing her gone and he can not get to get or help her. Why does it matter so much what she was doing??? It happen and I lost my beautiful Baby Girl!!!! For all of you who want to blame cell phones, well not this time. How about all the people you see reading as they drive, playing with radios, GPS, and all that other wonderful stuff that now comes with your cars??? To be honest Teen are far more capable of handling cell phones, talking or texting then the rest of the older people. I see them doing the same thing and they are all over the road more then a teen. I taught my girls to always watch the road and know what is around them, but things happen and in this case I lost my daughter. Her loss as also brought good in so many ways. I thank God for that and I know God will help us through this. I have no problem with using the death of my daughter to help others in any way possible. Her life as well as mine as been to help people, and I hope she will continue to touch other people lives and help to open everyones eyes. Thank you to all of you for your comforting words. May God Bless You All. Thank you to those of you who stood up for my family as well. Thanks From the Moye Family (that also includes Gage her boyfriend who is our son now)

Kettle donations rise in 2014