Crash victims remembered by classmates

Boy, 17, and girl, 13, were struck by SUV on dark road

This is Michael Perry:

Back | Next
Hannah Wilcher and Alexas Newsome hug each other during a vigil for Michael Perry Sarah Riffe Thursday evening at Hephzibah High. Perry and Riffe were struck and killed by a car.  Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff

Mikey, as he was known, was a skateboarder, big into video games, friends with everybody, always upbeat.

"He always knew how to make you laugh," said his aunt, Sabrina Herndon.

This is Sarah Riffe:

She loved her iPod, stayed on Facebook constantly, a performer who sang and danced at talent shows.

"She was your typical energetic teenager," said her father, Steven Riffe.

Together they were friends, at one time more than friends, but always together. That's how they died Wednesday night when they were hit by a Jeep Cherokee as they walked in the 4800 block of McCombs Road in rural Hephzibah.

Steven Riffe spent Thursday afternoon making two crosses to mark the spot where the wreck occurred. With the support of family and friends, he placed the crosses beside the road as a reminder to all who passed.

"Sometimes that peace comes over you and you know that she's with God," he said. "But then again, you're going to miss your baby."

On March 15, Sarah would have celebrated her 14th birthday. The family had planned a trip to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta to celebrate with the Pine Hill Middle School eighth-grader.

Late Thursday afternoon, Mikey's friends gathered outside Hephzibah High School for a candlelight vigil. With a golden sun setting at their backs, they greeted one another with hugs and tears and talked about the 17-year-old.

Tyler is glad he took the time to return the hug.

"I look at him like a brother," he said.

The wreck took place about 8 p.m. when 20-year-old William Shore rounded a curve and hit the two teens. Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Scott Gay said the two victims and two other teens were standing between the white and yellow lines on the road, but not side by side.

The survivors gave conflicting accounts of whether they were standing in the middle of the road or crossing it, Gay said. The two-lane country road near McBean has no streetlights, and the teens weren't carrying flashlights or wearing reflective clothing.

The posted speed limit is 40 mph, but investigators were unsure Thursday what speed Shore was driving.

Shore was taken to the hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.

The Georgia State Patrol is investigating the wreck, and it's expected to be several weeks before a decision is made on whether charges will be brought against Shore.

Sarah's parents said they didn't blame Shore for the accident that killed their daughter.

"He's got to live with this for a long time," Steven Riffe said as he stood on the side of McCombs Road on Thursday afternoon. "I wouldn't want to be in his shoes, either. No one sets out to run someone's kids down."

Sarah leaves behind two sisters, ages 7 and 15.

"Kristina's young right now, so she does understand what death is, but it hasn't hit her yet," her father said of Sarah's 7-year-old sister. "But her older sister is distraught."

Pine Hill Middle School had not planned a memorial Thursday. Principal Glenda Collingsworth said she was waiting to speak with the family before making plans.

At the vigil Thursday night, Taylor Stewart recalled good times spent with Sarah, including an Independence Day celebration at Fort Gordon "looking up at fireworks and acting crazy."

"I know Sarah is in a better place," Taylor said, holding back tears. "I just wish she was here."

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 03/03/11 - 08:59 pm
My GOD be with all the

My GOD be with all the families involved in this and give them peace at this time. I am so sorry for your loss.

jasonriffe55@yahoo.com
jasonriffe55@yahoo.com 03/03/11 - 09:00 pm
as far as a second car this

as far as a second car this is the first time ive heard of it on any of the pages

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 03/04/11 - 07:53 am
I gave my sympathy to the

I gave my sympathy to the victims and the family/ This forum is NOT a memorial. That's fine if you want to post yours as one but do't tell anyone else what and what not to say on theirs. I find it beneficial to share like incidents. It could prevent incidents like this from happening again. Actually it could SAVE a life.

tresmom
tresmom 03/04/11 - 11:45 am
to tell the truth1, I think

to tell the truth1, I think you must have missed the very rude comments that were left. Those were what I was referring to. nothing to do with incidents.

wakeup56
wakeup56 03/04/11 - 11:51 am
i can relate the father of

i can relate the father of sarah is doing the right thing hate isn't the answer he seems to avery level headed person and it only makes things worse to think hate. you must find the enter strenght to help you get through. r.i.p.sarah and mike

Phildog99
Phildog99 03/04/11 - 01:08 pm
I asked that God bless all

I asked that God bless all the families involved in this terrible incident. I wish I could say I understand your pain but I can't, because I have never experienced the pain of losing a precious gift such as a child, I can say this, be strong and let God guide you through this and remember he never put anything on us that we can't bear. Mr Rife you are truly an angel because if that was my child and something happien to him/her I would be blaming the WHOLE WORLD, but you sir are an inspiration to ALL of us that even though I lost my precious child, you still have compassion for the driver and his family!!!!!!!!MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU and your family.

jasonriffe55@yahoo.com
jasonriffe55@yahoo.com 03/04/11 - 01:12 pm
i wasnt trying to come out

i wasnt trying to come out like a memorial. But i do want to prevent things like this from happening agian. For all those who are interested i have posted a petition on care2.com to make the roads in rich,ond co safer signatures are very appreciated and much needed. This is the last post ill put on this threadm if anyone would like to reach me personally my name on here is also my email but for faster response you can reach me at daddyjay1724@gmail.com thank you all for your support in our time of need yours truly jason riffe

terminusmundi
terminusmundi 03/04/11 - 04:22 pm
"Tyler Walker described his

"Tyler Walker described his last conversation with Mikey in a school hallway. Mikey looked Tyler straight in the eye and said, "I love you. I'll see you when I get back."

Tyler is glad he took the time to return the hug."

There is something very powerful about this exchange.

sumthintosay
sumthintosay 03/04/11 - 10:17 pm
this was a horribly tragic

this was a horribly tragic accident which has altered the lives of all involved. prayers go out to all

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...