Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

TWO QUESTIONS: Do they teach the law about tailgating in driver education? And question No. 2: Do highway patrolmen know what tailgating is and that it's against the law?

I WOULD LIKE to express my sincere thanks to the wonderful people at Bi-Lo on Furys Ferry Road, especially the manager in charge, who helped me with car trouble. They even went out and pushed the car out of the way until AAA arrived. My thanks and words cannot express my appreciation for these wonderful people.

WHY DO DRIVERS insist on using their fog lamps when there's absolutely no fog out, so they can purposely blind oncoming traffic. Please do not use the fog lights unless there is some sort of fog out. All it does is create a possible hazard or accident.

A GRAND PREVIEW of the Dodge Challenger and Chevy Camaro sure revved up our emotions over the last year or so. It's been almost two years, and still the prices of these iconic vehicles convince us that dealerships would rather choke on them, sitting pretty on their lots, than to sell them. But after almost two years I've realized that patience is a teacher. I've learned a yearning heart, lusting eyes and wandering mind are temporal. No, I may not have my dream car, but I still have my sanity and my wallet.

WE JUST HAD to spend a few days at the Doctors Hospital pediatric unit. As hard and scary it was, the nurses were wonderful! Pediatric nurses, you rock! Thanks for making our experience better!

THIS IS A RANT to all the Scott Dean haters. I fear for your souls for judging this man so harshly. Moreover, I fear that it is quite possible that all of you may too one day have to spend a little time in the judicial system. I can only hope that your jury or judge is little less presumptuous. Remember, an indictment is not a conviction, folks!

I HAVE A RAVE for my trash collector, Columbia Waste. Not only will they put your can back where you placed it, they will come up to your house and get it should you forget to wheel it out to the curb. Then again, you choose your own (and pay for with your dime) private waste service in Columbia County. Competition will do that to people.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/28/11 - 02:46 am
G'morning all. New week, no

G'morning all. New week, no news.

So here's my 2¢ worth.

1) yes. yes.

2) they didn't want the liability of your car on their private lot left overnight...simply CYA in action...or they might have just been nice folks..hard to know this these days, as it's all about money w most people.

3) Some folks leave their blinkers on and confuse others, some don't use their blinkers and almost cause accidents; does it surprise you then that the oblivious folks in this town don't notice their fog light on, way after the fog is lifted?
...well, the natural fog...they still remain in their own fog.

4) Are you kidding? Fire teachers? Do you know how hard it is to get someone even interested in teaching in today's classrooms? Surely there can be some other remedy.

5) While your suggestion is good and applauded, I don't think the powers that be could really care less...if it means their job when the next election rolls around.

6) You still have your sanity and your wallet. But did you have a rant?

7) Yea for the medical profession. Thanks for helping others.

8) Here's a rant for the Scott Dean haters....good job.
(not a rant?) oh well.

9) Private contractors always try to do a better job than city workers...they want repeat business..the city does the same thing daily w/o the need for competition...unless you move, you are stuck w where you live and services offered.
But I think you just said all that.

It's Moan-Day once more...summer is almost here again, rain and storms predicted, flowers bloomin' n ruinin' my nose n eyes...work beckons early so here's the scoop:

TODAY, is the day... the Lord made it; Rejoice, be glad, for your Redeemer draws near.

And know this:
March is just around the corner...well, blow me down!

God bless n G'day.

dwb619
dwb619 02/28/11 - 07:50 am
The POTUS cannot fire state

The POTUS cannot fire state employees. He can fire federal employees, that's what the air traffic controllers were.

bclicious
bclicious 02/28/11 - 09:02 am
RANT #5__HOW TO SAVE the HOPE

RANT #5__HOW TO SAVE the HOPE scholarship -- cut out the pre-K part of it. The HOPE was started to reward worthy high school students, not to finance a glorified baby-sitting service. Call for your representatives to return the HOPE to its original intent.

To Ranter #5: I believe the state vote's this week on this issue. I believe pre-k is favored to be cut, and hope along with the state equilzation grant is set to be reduced.

bclicious
bclicious 02/28/11 - 09:04 am
To ranter #8: Don't worry

To ranter #8:

Don't worry about those Scott Dean haters, one way or the other; they will get theirs.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/28/11 - 09:46 am
Headlines in AJC....50

Headlines in AJC....50 personal services may face 1st-time tax..
shoe repair...hair care....auto repairs...etc.
Way to go......why don't we tax toe nail clippings too? Wait maybe they will.
If we don't get a grip on the insanity of our government.....we will be taxed to step outside of our house....for breathing the air.
Now all you haters of the tea party folks,......maybe you will become a tp person when you get through the new taxes..GEEEZ

seenitB4

gps like onstar
golf courses
health clubs
country clubs
shopping club memberships
tires
auto repair work of everything
towing service
auto service clubs
hair style work

In other words----your BEHIND will be taxed if it MOVES..
just another way to punch the working man in the gut...
& some still want the freebies to flow-flow-flow
add these taxes up per year & see what you will have left..
btw cell phones & service too

juantez
juantez 02/28/11 - 10:48 am
And Scott Dean will get

And Scott Dean will get his....In the court of law & hope they burn his but..

happychimer
happychimer 02/28/11 - 11:12 am
This past weekend I had

This past weekend I had several cars tailgating me. I was going the speed limit, so I slowed down. They went around me.Following me too close does not mean I will speed up to please anyone. It will only make me slow down.

dani
dani 02/28/11 - 11:21 am
Be careful what you say

Be careful what you say because it will almost certainly come back to haunt you...

Chillen
Chillen 02/28/11 - 11:22 am
@happychimer. I slow down

@happychimer. I slow down when people tailgate too. They drive me nuts so I enjoy driving them nuts.

Someone was tailgating me badly the other day - a van. When she finally got to the 4-lane & could pass me it was one of my neighbors - lol! I'm sure she was embarrassed.

Chillen
Chillen 02/28/11 - 11:28 am
These proposed taxes are all

These proposed taxes are all labor taxes which have always escaped taxation. Taxing more in this economy would be devastating.

I wonder who we should call to voice our opinion on this matter?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/28/11 - 11:33 am
What I can't understand is

What I can't understand is the $$$$ we forward to countries that don't even like us......pay for oil when we have fuel in the USA---(Alaska)---why not just add 3 cents on the dollar & that way ALL would feel the pinch....illegals-visitors through Ga.--under achievers with over achievers...hey EVERY bill coming in this house has gone up in the last 6 months...power-gas- car gas--water--alarm system--tags--insurance--funny thing the retirement checks just stay the same though......Tuesday the AJC will have the tax list on retirement....can't wait for that....
Now I will have to go to lunch/movies & calm my mind down with some goood drinks.. :) seeya

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/28/11 - 12:28 pm
When I finally have the

When I finally have the opportunity to get past the left lane hogs, I see how close I can come to hitting them when I cut back in front.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 02/28/11 - 12:44 pm
I have been accused of

I have been accused of tailgating before but all I am really doing is "drafting" to save energy.

daphne3520
daphne3520 02/28/11 - 12:46 pm
Rant # 1: You got THAT

Rant # 1: You got THAT right!!!!!

happychimer
happychimer 02/28/11 - 01:02 pm
chillen if you were pointing

chillen if you were pointing at me when you mentioned the woman driving a van, it was not me. I have not driven a van in a long time.

kmb413
kmb413 02/28/11 - 01:42 pm
I make people mad every day

I make people mad every day on S Old Belair Rd. The speed limit is 35. I had a horrible accident last year on that road so I go 35.

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 02/28/11 - 01:57 pm
Their no hate,it is what it

Their no hate,it is what it is for accused child molester,former Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean. Evidence was presented to the D.A. office he endeavor a sexual act on a minor and thats why a arrest warrant was issued.

happychimer
happychimer 02/28/11 - 02:01 pm
Saturday I saw 4 cars weaving

Saturday I saw 4 cars weaving in and out of traffic on Belair Rd. in C.C.. I was going the speed limit, and they passed me like I was standing still. Suddenly all 4 cars stopped in the rd. There was almost a car pileup. they were inches from hitting each other.

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/28/11 - 02:37 pm
Seenit, I like your idea "In

Seenit, I like your idea "In other words----your BEHIND will be taxed if it MOVES..
just another way to punch the working man in the gut..."
Maybe the govment will start charging a BM tax ie: poop tax.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/28/11 - 04:39 pm
Don't give them any ideas

Don't give them any ideas about the poop tax sweet son.. :)

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/28/11 - 04:56 pm
HappyChimer...I drive the

HappyChimer...I drive the speed limit too, and I get tailgated so bad you can't see their headlights, so I wash my windows and hopefully they have neglected to put fluid in theirs so it streaks when they turn theirs on.

burninater
burninater 02/28/11 - 05:45 pm
Seenit -- "What I can't

Seenit -- "What I can't understand is the $$$$ we forward to countries that don't even like us......"

Seenit, I suspect that $$$$ is to 1) buy influence, and 2) buy a beneficial climate for businesses that are "helped out" with U.S. tax dollars. For example on point 1, the U.S. was calling for Mubarak to step down when it was clear which way the wind was blowing. Mubarak held his "I will not resign" speech, and then did a 180 overnight after, it seems, the Egyptian military had a sit-down with him.

Guess whose $$$$ is a major financer of the Egyptian military?

And on point 2, Iraq and Afghanistan both have tremendous mineral wealth that have, until the events of the past few years, been closed to the global extraction industries ...

constituent
constituent 02/28/11 - 07:55 pm
To the ranter who think

To the ranter who think people are hating on Scott Dean why don't you let the Dean family adopt your female child.

corgimom
corgimom 02/28/11 - 08:27 pm
"THE PRESIDENT SHOULD fire

"THE PRESIDENT SHOULD fire those teachers that are protesting. Class is bad enough. These kids can't even read and write. President Reagan fired the air traffic controllers. Mr. Obama needs to get some backbone."

I find it ironic that someone who is complaining about children that can't read and write didn't learn the difference between Federal and state jurisdictions in school.

purplepassion
purplepassion 02/28/11 - 11:40 pm
Monterrey's used to be my

Monterrey's used to be my favorite Mexican place. No way they could not have known lots of flat screens TVs and laptops were being fenced our of their back room. I worked hard to have the money to buy a laptop. I will get my burritos from someplace else, thank you. Disappointed!

usapatriot
usapatriot 03/01/11 - 12:01 am
Bantana, what is crazy: 1)

Bantana, what is crazy:

1) you didn't research or failed to mention

2) your cut and paste to 2 articles

3) We imported just under 1 million barrels a month from Venezuela in 2010.

Venezuela is our 5th largest supplier, just under Nigeria. Of course, to liberals, they are both the model of stability, have wonderfully likeable leaders and represent no reason for USA to become more self sufficient.

usapatriot
usapatriot 03/01/11 - 12:03 am
Hey challenger and camaro

Hey challenger and camaro admirer. Save some more money and buy one of those cars from 30+ yrs ago. They're better made, more attractive, mnore powerful and will hold more value.