Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

To the roller derby ranter … Actually most of us are married or in a long-term relationship. Only a couple of us are single. So I think that we have no problem whatsoever finding a man. Most men find women who are in shape attractive.

I’m glad someone said it! I agree completely with the rant about roller derby. It is a violent and brutal “pseudo” sport. I certainly would not want my daugher or granddaughters participating in such a thing. I also remember it from the 1960s and how it attracted a bad element. That’s why it went away. Let’s hope this is just a fad among some very misguided young women.

Rant to our Congress and Obama. They have allowed gas prices to soar again by not having a clear plan for the U.S. to produce its own oil. Let’s not be dependant on other countries to supply us with oil. Cut the red tape and drill for our own oil.

A rave to the lady who realized I’d left my change purse on the counter at Food Lion on Belair Road near I-20. She tried to catch me in the parking lot but I was already gone. She checked my driver’s license for my address, and brought my change purse to me. I didn’t even realize I didn’t have it. I was so stunned I forgot to get her name or offer her a reward. Ma’am, if you are reading this, come back to my home and I will reward you for being the wonderful, honest person that you are! Thank you again!

Why is it customers of Walmart find it necessary to rip open packs of socks and underwear and throw things on the floor and knock stuff off the racks? I’m an associate at a local Walmart and I get so fed up every night. I come in and have to do the same things over and over. Picking up, picking up and picking up. You’re supposed to be adults when you come in the store, so how about acting like one.

We are a nursing care facility that reads your paper every Wednesday morning at Coffee Club. Our residents enjoy keeping up with local and national news and continue to enjoy voicing their views about certain matters. Our favorite news item is “Rants and Raves.” These senior adults decided to spend one Wednesday each month writing their own Rant and Rave. We hope you will publish it:
“Thank you to all the community volunteers who visit and give of themselves to the nursing homes throughout the area throughout the year. A special thanks to “When Help Can’t Wait” who graciously gives to aid the residents who have no family members. A Big Rant to those organizations, churches, and individuals who feel that their service should only be at Christmas time.”

We pay our taxes so the rich don’t have to. It’s called income redistribution.

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/25/11 - 07:18 am
These roller derby rants kill

These roller derby rants kill me... These people really have no idea. The team raises thousands of dollars a year for charity. They dont get paid, matter of fact, it costs several hundred dollars a year to even keep your equipment and insurance up. They get hurt, sometimes severely, and carry no hard feelings when its all over. They do it all for giving the crowd a show, and they do a great job. They won 90 percent of their bouts last year with little mention from the sports media. They use no tax money, yet bring outside teams and fans into Augusta to eat, sleep, and shop, all without some monsterous stadium. Plus, they are hot. There, I said it. Go back to your scrabble tournament, Grandma/pa.

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/25/11 - 07:20 am
These roller derby rants kill

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/11 - 07:31 am

Here you go Coffee Club at the Care Facility......Lost in the 50's
I find myself lost in the 50s many-many days!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/11 - 07:32 am
Taylor b....I think your

Taylor b....I think your needle is STUCK! :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/11 - 07:39 am
Well it looks like gas will

Well it looks like gas will go to $5 a gallon by summer----Yikes--
There goes the economy again....thank goodness GOB had enough sense to buy a car that gets 36 miles a gallon.......small though (scion)

I know what bettyboop meant yesterday when she said she had news overload.......lately it hasn't been very cheerful, has it..

Many folks are saying the internet has changed the world...what about CABLE TV--CNN--24 hr news 7 days a week.....Al Jazeera----if we only knew what was going on behind the scene in these countries......we don't.

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/25/11 - 07:58 am
Hate when that happens... it

Hate when that happens... it double posts when cell service is sketchy...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/11 - 08:02 am
Taylor... I was kidding...I

Taylor... I was kidding...I don't think it's you...AC is slow on comments this am....mine are stuck in lala land B4 they post.....I would say we are "purfect" & the fault lies elsewhere!

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/25/11 - 08:18 am
Right on seenit, you have a

Right on seenit, you have a good day!

Jackson
Jackson 02/25/11 - 08:26 am
I agree Taylor. Although I've

I agree Taylor. Although I've never been to the Roller Derby it looks like something I might want to check out. I can't believe people would rant about it.
Some folks have way too much time on their hands.

mllange
mllange 02/25/11 - 08:59 am
For the wal-mart rant, that

For the wal-mart rant, that is why I don't shop there. The customer service is horrible, and the customer's are even worse.

bclicious
bclicious 02/25/11 - 09:32 am
Something is wrong with the

Something is wrong with the rants and raves this morning; they are out of wack!

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/25/11 - 09:41 am
Jackson, its one of the most

Jackson, its one of the most entertaining things ive seen in Augusta. Its a little confusing until you understand how it works, but you should come out and see it. These girls are amazing atheletes, on par with any sports team we have had in Augusta.

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 02/25/11 - 10:03 am
LOL obviously you havent been

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 02/25/11 - 10:19 am
@stairway2nowhere..... which

@stairway2nowhere..... which bar/s .... I just have to see this for myself ;)

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 02/25/11 - 10:41 am
tipseys is a good start or

tipseys is a good start or any other slew of the bars downtown....me and my wife had to walk out from the sheer obscenities and noxious drunk talk from these "ladies"...

dani
dani 02/25/11 - 11:08 am
Do they lose teeth? I have

Do they lose teeth? I have never seen it, but it sounds dangerous.

dani
dani 02/25/11 - 11:11 am
Regarding the last

Regarding the last rant..evidently you don't pay taxes. Try giving the rich a tax furlough and see have you would like carrying the whole load.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/25/11 - 11:23 am
What's wrong with 'ladies"

What's wrong with 'ladies" showing off their latest breast enhancements?

Sharla D
Sharla D 02/25/11 - 11:26 am
It is wrong to judge an

It is wrong to judge an entire group based on one individual. Out of 40 girls on our team, you are focusing on the actions of only one. Oh and by the way...Tipsey's has stripper poles for a reason. You hang out there, and you are judging us?

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/25/11 - 11:27 am
They wear mouthguards. They

They wear mouthguards. They do get hurt. Imagine football with less pads at 20 mph. We have girls out right now with torn acls, broken leg, and sprains. Its a rough sport, but very rewarding.

Ive been out with the team probably over a dozen times, and had no issues. They are loud, but what large group of girls or guys in a bar are quiet?

NoOrdinary
NoOrdinary 02/25/11 - 11:52 am
To the second commentator: It

To the second commentator: It is NOT a pseudo sport. I dare you to try just one endurance practice and then try to say it's not a sport. Honestly, it requires far more thought and action than golf certainly does. Also- it's not what is was in the 1960s. It's like comparing WWF wrestling with greco-roman wrestling.
This sport was started during the depression, for men and women. It has a long history in this country. It's played worldwide. Really, it's misguided to not even learn about something that you're degrading.
It's fine if you don't like it. By all means, don't participate. To each their own. But you don't have to make judgments about people you don't know and haven't even seen. I know I'm not misguided, and not that it really matters, I am not mannish in appearance. Playing a full-contact sport makes me no less feminine than any woman who doesn't.
Ultimately, though, who cares if some women are not feminine? Who cares if some women are "mannish?" No one is trying to force it on you. We're living our lives, playing a sport that makes us happy. Unless you have nothing of substance to say, there's really no point of making that kind of statement.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 02/25/11 - 11:55 am
From what I have seen of the

From what I have seen of the lovely roller derby ladies, they could smack me down and steamroll me any day.

laughing@you
laughing@you 02/25/11 - 11:57 am
@stairway... really? this is

@stairway... really? this is a bar you can take shots between the female bartenders legs while they are sitting on the bar and their clothes you don't even have to pull off because you can already see everything.
As far as the sport being brutal and violent, almost every sport is get over it. I go and I take my kids they haven't seen anything they wouldn't see at a hockey or football game... All and all they are a good group of girls who are only trying to have fun playing a sport they love and support local charities.

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/25/11 - 01:06 pm
to the WalMart Ranter...a lot

to the WalMart Ranter...a lot of the time it's not the adults but their unruly children, that are a product of single parent families.

As far as the Roller Derby gals...Leave them alone! You wouldn't have anything to say if it were Rugby or Soccer players. I think they're wonderful. From an ex College Rugby Player

kmb413
kmb413 02/25/11 - 01:38 pm
Walmart associate, have you

Walmart associate, have you found any half eaten grapes?

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/25/11 - 02:56 pm
Boogaloo, you are always good

Boogaloo, you are always good when you comment! Smiling!!

terminusmundi
terminusmundi 02/25/11 - 03:11 pm
Women shouldn't play sports!

Women shouldn't play sports! Sports are for men! Only men should work hard and play hard, women should stay in the kitchen! These "roller derby ladies" think they have the right to play rough-and-tumble? Ridiculous! What will women want to do next, VOTE?

Taylor B
Taylor B 02/25/11 - 03:29 pm
Rumor has it, some of these

Rumor has it, some of these roller derby girls even drive a car. Its hard to keep a woman barefoot in the kitchen when she keeps putting those darn skates on!

corgimom
corgimom 02/25/11 - 04:12 pm
"LOL obviously you havent

"LOL obviously you havent been out to a bar and seen how these roller derby chicks act or dress or how they drink or dance on bar tops or show off their latest breast enhancement .....go downtown and you will just see how lady like they are"

I laugh at the idea that anyone would expect classy behavior at a downtown bar called Tipsey's.

I used to watch Roller Derby when I was a kid, and went to a couple of the matches. It was very big in So Cal with the LA Thunderbirds.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 02/25/11 - 04:54 pm
"We pay our taxes so the rich

"We pay our taxes so the rich don’t have to. It’s called income redistribution."

Don't forget about the poor too!