Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

I'm a Navy veteran. I was eating lunch in Ryan's on Bobby Jones on Valentine's Day, and some nice gentleman paid for our lunch. I was wearing my Navy veteran cap. I want to thank him. God bless him.

A rant to the driver of a white SUV who did a U-turn after using the Broad Street on-ramp to Washington Road. A major mishap was very narrowly avoided. There is not one, but two "no U- turn" signs on the ramp! I believe a motorcyclist was killed by someone doing exactly the same thing.

When the person who called DFACS in the Scott Dean case is finally identified , don't be surprised if it's all related to politics.

Please , parents, block text-messaging capabilities on your child's phone. Cell phones for teens should be used for parent communication and emergencies, not for casual communication. Please, please, driving can be difficult with complete attention. Eliminate any potential problems. Love your children and protect them now. No matter how bad they "have to text," you would rather them live to talk.

Speaker John Boehner needs to stop playing political games and end the wasteful, hurtful repeal of hea l th reform.

A rant for Georgia's state law makers from Augusta, What have you done for your constituents lately? Besides not responding back to your constituent s' letters. Will they introduce or draft any kind of legislation before the session end?

This is for the ranter who wrote "Nobody 'mauls' a hero." Please try telling that to Jesus Christ.

Georgia Sen. Mitch Seabaugh claims that local referendums on alcohol are unconstitutional. Which constitution is he reading? Power is ultimately supposed to lie with the citizenry, thus the most power is supposed to be local. Of course, over two centuries, power grabbers have conned many Americans into believing that the most power should come from higher up the chain. But that's backwards from the Founders, from the Constitution, and from common sense.

A hockey player "shattered" an opponent's jaw and got suspended. No mention of criminal action against the obvious thug. Has America gone completely nuts?

This is a rant for the woman in the Evans Wal-Mart on Saturday around noon. Eating a grape to see if they're good (even though its shoplifting) is one thing , but to suck the insides out of it and then leave the remains on the shelf is just nasty.

Rants to parents that provide cell phones with text: If anything happens to the child, the parents are to blame. When will we stop giving everything to our kids that puts them in real danger?

Tell us what you think
crackerjack
crackerjack 02/20/11 - 10:56 pm
Wonder what the findings were

Wonder what the findings were on the young lady that died last week on Jimmy Dyess Pkwy. and never hitting the brakes? It sure was sad that it happened to someone so young. My heart goes out to the family.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 02/21/11 - 01:22 am
Just out of curiosity, one of

Just out of curiosity, one of the pictures taken at the Gospel Explosion at Paine College (Feb 13, 2011) shows four possibly black teenagers wearing what appears to be "white-face" makeup. Knowing how offensive "black-face" (as in white and black performers parodying blacks back in the early 1900's) currently is in today's society, I was wondering why these young people were wearing something potentially offensive to others.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/21/11 - 05:04 am
Casting Fool??? You aren't

Casting Fool??? You aren't going to believe me, but I was just about to post the same EXACT comment! Yeah, the white-face paint thing has been going on for years. It's considered "art", so nobody thinks anything racial about it. It's a definite double-standard. If I was ridiculously sensitive about it, or had some sort of political agenda the way some blacks do, then I'd be offended at it. But right now, the way I see it, it's a bunch of college kids who have white painted on their faces. See people?? Was that so hard??

mrlewis82
mrlewis82 02/21/11 - 06:52 am
That reverse racism you speak

That reverse racism you speak of is actually a Praise Dance used to show worship to God. They have white faces because Praise Dance is a mined, choreographed dance. Unlike black face it isn't meant to belittle anyone; it is meant to show reverence to the Most High.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/11 - 08:23 am
Navy vet....next time try

Navy vet....next time try Bonefish while wearing your cap...they will really have to put some $$$ out then=====lol
U-turn there---bad boy
Scott Dean & politics involved--who woulda think it. hah
Health care will be reformed--get used to that idea....remember they didn't EVEN READ THE THING!
Yikes---I've eaten a grape at the store before but I didn't leave a hull---just wonder how much 1 grape would cost...
good am Augusta......:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/11 - 09:31 am
New program for me

New program for me today.....
Slimfast-exercise-work......YIKES

Tell it like it use to be.....I love that song.

happychimer
19384
happychimer 02/21/11 - 10:22 am
When I was a cashier, if I

When I was a cashier, if I saw anyone eating fruit, I was suppose to get about the amount they ate and weigh it and add that to their bill.

dani
dani 02/21/11 - 10:26 am
Wow..A tear jerker for real.

Wow..A tear jerker for real.

justfred
justfred 02/21/11 - 10:56 am
Man, the AC has bled this

Man, the AC has bled this forum to death

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 02/21/11 - 11:24 am
Mrlewis, would you care to

Mrlewis, would you care to explain what exactly “reverse racism” is to the uninformed?
Also #7, seriously? I truly am at a loss for words.

happychimer
19384
happychimer 02/21/11 - 12:36 pm
There was another wreck in

There was another wreck in almost the exact same place Saturday at the traffic light at Jimmie Dyess and Belair Road. We saw a car on a wrecker that was smashed on the passenger side. A white SUV was lying on its side on the road. I did not hear anything on the news about it. When that girl was killed, my husband got the green light and proceeded to go through the light. He noticed smoke coming from a vehicle behind an ATT truck near the red light. He has felt sad about that moment, because that is when the girl was killed.

kmb413
kmb413 02/21/11 - 01:27 pm
There is no such thing as

There is no such thing as 'reverse racism'. Racism is racism either direction. There also can be racism within the same race.
The term 'reverse racism' is commonly used referring to the racism against whites (or any other race) from blacks.

kmb413
kmb413 02/21/11 - 01:30 pm
The grape thing is just plain

The grape thing is just plain nasty. I would have walked by them and said loudly "you're disgusting'.

justfred
justfred 02/21/11 - 03:26 pm
I sure hope we see action

I sure hope we see action taken against the docs in Wisc who are handing out fake sick notes for teachers who are refusing to perform their jobs and are denying children their education. No matter how poor a job these teachers are doing in the public education system, it is better than none.

justfred
justfred 02/21/11 - 03:46 pm
I'll bet those Wisc teachers

I'll bet those Wisc teachers would do that grape thing

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 02/21/11 - 06:05 pm
seenitB4....thanks, I spent

seenitB4....thanks, I spent over an hour just listening to some great old
music. I needed a break.
RE: the grape thing. I have tasted one grapes before, nothing like paying $4/5 dollars and you can't eat them. Never, did I do anything so nasty as leaving the hull. Most times I bought twice as many if they were good. My boys loved grapes. But, to weigh one grape. That is a little over the top, by any store.
RE: those teachers. Well, I bet if there was a nationwide call for teachers
for that state, I am sure the slots would be filled in a day. There are teachers here in Georgia who have been looking everywhere for a job. I'm sure it is that way in all states. Sorry, but every time I hear union, I think Jimmy Hoffa, currupt.
But remember, these are all my PERSONAL opinions. Not to hurt anyone's
feelings or step on anyones toes.

tcowan13
tcowan13 02/21/11 - 06:27 pm
I will be so very glad when

I will be so very glad when using a Cell phone while driving is against the law.It takes a person's total attention to operate any type of Motor Operated vehicle.Talking on a Cell phone can be done while a person is stopped,nit while they are driving. I have my own Cell phone and I would never dream of making a phone call while I am driving.It is far too Dangerous.Everyday I see careless people using their Cell phones while Driving.It will be eventually outlawed and against the Law to use Cell phones while driving.

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/21/11 - 07:17 pm
tcowan13.........ditto I let

tcowan13.........ditto I let it ring and go to my answering machine. Then see who it is when I am parked somewhere. No phone call is so important as to endanger other peoples lives.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 02/21/11 - 08:56 pm
Just keep in mind that no one

Just keep in mind that no one has determined what took that young lady's attention off of the road. Her family says that she wasn't texting, but the authorities are subpoenaing her phone records to make sure.

She could have had a medical emergency as in a seizure or even just a coughing or sneezing fit. She could have been utilizing the radio or CD player, or picking up something that she dropped.

Many's the time I've caught myself about to allow my attention to leave the road, or even did allow it, and I've been driving for over 40 years. It's an easy and potentially deadly mistake to make.

Authorities should know in few days what it might have been, though it may never be discovered.

In any case, it is still a tragedy that the young lady lost her life and that her family lost her presence in their lives.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/21/11 - 09:44 pm
I can't believe that little

I can't believe that little gang of wannabees stole that child's bike! Even though this sort of thing has been happening frequently around here, I will never get used to it, or callus to it. Thanks to some observant people (for their safety I won't say who) and the officer who responded, the bike was recovered within the hour, and it had ALREADY been spray-painted by the perps. Thank you RCSO and concerned neighbors for taking the complaint seriously and following it up.

MK1987
MK1987 02/21/11 - 10:34 pm
I wanted to write in response

I wanted to write in response to the comment above about unions being corrupt. Number one, if unions are corrupt, what is the word to describe the government? Just like big business, government, etc, unions can certainly have their bad eggs, but please don't forget that because of unions, we are now entitled to a 40 hour work week, paid overtime, better working conditions, and countless other benefits. If people were willing to stand up on their own for what they believe in, there wouldn't be a need for unions. It's a sad day when Americans don't exercise their right to protest for what they deserve. That in itself will be the downfall of our country.

usapatriot
usapatriot 02/22/11 - 01:31 am
MK, that's all fine. France

MK, that's all fine. France has a 34 hr work week and 4 weeks paid vacation.

The problem is public sector unions. They have civil service. They have the govt. Estimates are around 30-35% of union members would opt out if given a chance.

Unions collect dues and funnel that money to Democrats. Democrats win those local and state elections, they are at the collective bargaining table and give away the future in no cost pensions and health care. The union grows, collects more dues and funds more politicians.

We're seeing that cycle come to an end in WI, IN, OH, VA, NJ, and maybe NY and CA. It's only painful to the union hacks.

Court rules in probation case

ATLANTA -- The Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision this morning concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor ...