Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

ONE MORNING WHEN the sun is coming up, I wish I could meet my Muslim brother in a field with a large rock in the middle of it. He could go to one side of the rock and pray to his God, and I would go to the other side of the rock and pray to Jesus. When finished we could shake hands and go to work in that field. Both of us will have our religion, have our democracy and have our freedom without hatred due to respect for each other.

CONCERNING THE North Augusta dog driver. On Washington Road on Valentine's Day, we followed Columbia County female officer No. 205. She was doing 65-plus on Washington Road, Greenbrier to turn into Ronald Reagan Drive. She didn't even use a blinker, and besides, she was on the computer. Talk about texting!

RAVES TO MOTHER Nature for this gorgeous weather, but rants to whatever pollen my nose is already detecting. (ahh-choo!)

IF REPUBLICANS were to truly cut out all unconstitutional spending -- which they are not -- they could still not get "mauled" by Democrats for doing that. The people would praise the cutters. Nobody "mauls" a hero.

GOOD EDITORIAL about hopes for Egypt. But don't forget: To hope for a "secular" government ain't enough. After all, what's more "secular" than atheistic marxism?

AN OBIT IS ALWAYS sad, but how ironic that a "longtime politician" died, a man who was in "public service" for over 20 years, and a "beloved figure." And, he "served prison time for fraud ..." helping 8,000 investors to lose abut $275 million. Oh! He "apologized." Well, that must make him "beloved" to those 8,000 victims.

RANTS TO THESE kids. You can see by what happened that these kids won't listen to the parents, so what makes you think the schoolteachers can do a better job? I don't go for running over the child, but this shows you the kids are out of control. It is not the school's job to teach your child respect; it is the parents'. These kids are the future, and we are in trouble.

THIS IS A HUGE rant to Georgia Power. I just got my power bill. I wasn't there two weeks last month. I estimate it at a 40 percent increase. We're getting the increase so they can build another reactor so they can make more money. Well I've got news for y'all. I'm turning down the elements in the water heater and buying candles. You think my bill's going to go up. It's going to go down, pal.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/17/11 - 02:47 am
So to the ranter following

So to the ranter following the police officer they say was speeding by 20mph, I guess that means you were also exceeding the speed by 20mph even though you don't have a clue as to why this officer was driving faster than the speed limit. Often times officers are responding to calls, especially k-9 officers where they are needed but not with lights/sirens. Now, on the other hand, officers also do speed when they shouldn't and a simple call the the Sheriff's Office if it bothers you that much is far better than exceeding the speed limit by 20mph for a long period of time as you did in order to write a rant in the paper.

Please make sure you send a thank you to President Obama for our above $3.00 per gallon gasoline. I assume since everyone use to blame Bush when gas went up (it was $2.00 when he left office) that now all of the blame should certainly go to Obama.

shelby547
shelby547 02/17/11 - 07:18 am
If an officer or Ambulance or

If an officer or Ambulance or Fire Truck driver is going well over the speed limit they are not responding to an emergent call. These departments have things such as incident priorities. For instance a priority 1 would be CPR in Progress, a Priority 2 would be GI distress and a Priority 3 would be an Evaluation or Public assist, etc. 1 and 2 would have lights and sirens and they would be booking it. 3 they would be like any other vehicle on the road. As far as intersections go, they are to come to a complete stop if they have a red light, then proceed through it. Aside from that...65 on Washington Rd??? That's kinda slow for most people.

corgimom
corgimom 02/17/11 - 08:51 am
"YOUNG WOMEN who have

"YOUNG WOMEN who have breast-feeding to do should be at home with their children until they're able to look after themselves at school. This business of giving them money for breast-feeding at the job is just outrageous."

Yeah, those labor laws that say workers are entitled to breaks and lunch are just so outrageous! How dare they take breaks and lunch to pump breast milk! What is the world coming to these days?

docroc
docroc 02/17/11 - 09:35 am
The Muslim said: "ONE MORNING

The Muslim said: "ONE MORNING WHEN the sun is coming up, I wish I could meet my Christian brother in a field with a large rock and kill, enslave, or convert him to Islam as it is written in the Koran." If one is a Muslim and does not profess this as a requirement, then it is like a Christian deciding to follow only half of the Ten Commandments. If one only follows half of the Commandments, I wonder if a Christian can change which ones to obey each day depending on the situation?

docroc
docroc 02/17/11 - 09:49 am
Yes or NO; is it against the

Yes or NO; is it against the law to speed? Obviously, the answer is yes it is. Is it ever justified to exceed the speedlimit if there is an emergency? This question is more difficult to answer. If one is a Government Official on is allowed to exceed the speedlimit in an emergency while on official duty. When this happens, the standard is to at least turn on emergency lights in the interest of safety. For normal citizens, emergency lights are not allowed so the issue is moot. When officials exceed the speed limit, even in an emergency, without their lights on, they are placing themselves and the public in danger needlessly. I paid taxes so officials can have those lights so use them!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/11 - 11:23 am
My Ga Power bill was higher

My Ga Power bill was higher too.....maybe because we had so much bad weather & stayed inside for DAYS!!! Had to run heat constantly--dang everything has gone up.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 02/17/11 - 11:24 am
ONE MORNING WHEN the sun is

That would be nice, if both sides could set aside their differences and do this, but some people just can't let deep seed hate go, so you'll never see this.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 02/17/11 - 11:34 am
The Muslim said: "ONE MORNING

Christians have views in their religion that are just as extreme as Muslims. Just like Muslims kill Christians, the same has happened in the past too. Does it make it justified? No. We are all children of whatever God, you serve. It is not up to me to condone, condemn or kill a Muslim, because they are a child of my God, they only have a different view than me. I must accept them and move on doing with what I must do. I can't point them out or chastise them for their choice. Christians need to move and let the Muslim hate alone. There are other issues they need to clear up before tackling Muslims. Christian subgroups can't get along, and they are all serving the same God (Jesus Christ), how do you want to call out other religions when you can't even peacefully serve the same deity as a Catholic, when you are against a Lutheran, Baptist, or Mormon? Love thy neighbor as thy love thou self. Have a beautiful day people!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/11 - 11:37 am
Some how onlysane I'm not

Some how onlysane I'm not feeling the love from you..

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/17/11 - 11:46 am
"I'D LIKE TO KNOW who the

"I'D LIKE TO KNOW who the brain child was behind the Golf and Botanical Gardens. They should be held accountable."

Well, if you look at the names involved with the hatching of the Golf and Gardens you will find one that was also involved in putting together the Fort Discovery project which was mostly taxpayer funded, getting a $7 million loan of RC taxpayer money forgiven which was used to build a hotel, and getting $20 million of SPLOST money to build the TEE Center which will be turned over to his group to run.

There are movers and shakers in downtown Augusta. Unfortunately when they start shaking it's usually the taxpayer's dollars that fall out. Maybe it's good to have people with ideas since our commissioners are totally clueless about how to get things done. But even the smart guy's ideas don't seem to work out too well in Augusta. And even if they do work, the taxpayer's never seem to get the cream, and we are usually left with the clabbered milk.

Whatever the "project", you can bet your taxpayer dollars will go to either Reynolds St. or Laney Walker. The Southside has gotten nothing for 15 years and will continue to get nothing....except the tax bill. While we spend our tax dollars feeding the Reynolds St. mafia and "redeveloping" areas that will be destroyed faster than we can rebuild, the Southside will continue to dry up and watch it's businesses close. I predict Ryans on 25 will be the next to close since they have taken the steak dinners off of the menu. Instead of a T-Bone medium rare and baked potato it's "will you have the Mega Bar or the Mega Bar". The parking lot has been looking pretty slim.

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/17/11 - 01:29 pm
Astis..., you must be he Popo

Astis..., you must be he Popo as Austin calls it. Shelby you must be an ambulance jock. Just an observation. I might have been guilty a long time ago.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 02/17/11 - 02:26 pm
CONCERNING THE North Augusta

Driving 65 down Washington Rd, and blogging.. ha ahah What could go wrong?

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 02/17/11 - 04:48 pm
Ranter #1, He who meets in

Ranter #1, He who meets in field with large rock and unknown person sounds like they must be stoned.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 02/17/11 - 04:53 pm
Ranter #2, Are dogs allowed

Ranter #2, Are dogs allowed to drive in North Augusta? No wonder traffic comes to a stand still when a fire hydrant is nearby.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/17/11 - 05:08 pm
To the person wondering about

To the person wondering about which pollens are in quantity right now, today they are: Elm, Juniper, and Alder. Achoo!

happychimer
happychimer 02/17/11 - 05:19 pm
I see no mention of a

I see no mention of a shooting in North Augusta on Georgia Avenue late this morning.

happychimer
happychimer 02/17/11 - 05:21 pm
I see it now.

I see it now.

corgimom
corgimom 02/17/11 - 10:57 pm
"On Washington Road on

"On Washington Road on Valentine's Day, we followed Columbia County female officer No. 205. She was doing 65-plus on Washington Road, Greenbrier to turn into Ronald Reagan Drive. She didn't even use a blinker, and besides, she was on the computer. Talk about texting!"

Again, when you need an officer, be sure and call 911 and say "tell them not to speed, be sure and use their blinker on their car, and don't look at the dispatching instructions on the computer. Let them take their time to get to me."

Somehow, I don't think you'll do that.

Raises vary widely for GRU administrators

While there has been an overall 6 percent increase in administrative pay at Georgia Regents University since it was created by consolidation, raises and promotions have caused vastly different ...