Wild dog pack worrisome to Summerville residents

Summerville residents say a pack of wild dogs in their neighborhood has them  concerned for the safety of both  children and pets  .

David Dunagan, the chairman of the Summerville Crime Watch Committee, said 15-20 cats and one dog have been killed since the pack of  about five appeared  two weeks ago.

“The dog that was attacked was being walked by its owner on a leash,” he said. “The owner had to let the pet go and be killed for his own safety.”

“As we know from what happened two weeks ago in Modoc (S.C.), these dogs can kill somebody,” Dunagan said.

Augusta Animal Services has been patrolling the area since Jan. 25, according to Director Sharon Broady.

Three dogs were caught Thursday morning after being chased by Summerville residents , Augusta State University police and employees at animal service. Dunagan said the dogs ran through Episcopal Day School’s property, which was put on lockdown following the incident.

A white pit bull and a brown Rott weiler remain loose in the neighborhood. Summerville residents are relying on the crime alert service to notify their neighbors of the dogs’ location in hopes of  capturing the  animals.

Insider Information
Insider Information 02/03/11 - 02:59 pm
If they're Georgia dogs,

If they're Georgia dogs, dawgs, or whatever you call them, there's no need to worry. They have no fight in them.

Indigo
Indigo 02/03/11 - 04:32 pm
I thought this was 'bout the

I thought this was 'bout the County Commission when I read the title!

LOL

microprill
microprill 02/03/11 - 04:27 pm
hahahahhahaha, daggg Indigo!

hahahahhahaha, daggg Indigo! now tht wuz funny

daviddunagan
daviddunagan 02/03/11 - 05:00 pm
To Director Sharon Broady-

To Director Sharon Broady- 15 to 20 cats and 1 dog on a leash have been killed that we know of. These are blood thirsty dogs that are only looking to kill. Our fear is that a child may be next. It has nothing to do with "female dogs that are in season." Residents actively pursued these dogs for three hours this morning along with the Augusta State University Police Department and your trucks in the field. We have gotten a cold response from your office however I commend the men and women in the trucks who ultimately captured these wild dogs. As you may be aware, a white pit bull and a brown rottweiller are still on the loose. We will appreciate your continued help with this serious threat until the other two are captured. Sincerely, David Dunagan, Summerville Neighborhood Associoation

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/03/11 - 05:14 pm
Dang! All this crime going

Dang! All this crime going on in Summerville, and now they've got packs of wild dogs roaming the place?? Is it just me, or is Summerville starting to sound more and more like the "hood"? David, I sure hope y'all get better cooperation and put an end to the dog-threat and nobody else's pets get hurt, or like you said, a child.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 02/03/11 - 05:39 pm
Is there someone concerned

Is there someone concerned residents should contact to urge increased patrols?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/03/11 - 05:57 pm
I hope you have better luck

I hope you have better luck than we did a few years back. We repeatedly rounded up the neighbors pitbulls in the backyard of a neighbor that had moved away from the drug-trafficking, thefts, trespassing, etc., on the block, leaving his house empty, only to have them returned to the owner, we were told because the dogs didn't act aggressively toward the animal control officer. I pleaded with them, because I'd already seen them kill a stray cat in the new neighbor's front yard and had had to shoo the two dogs out of our front yard repeatedly, while the owner laughed at our complaint, saying they were still under his control. Not if they were in our yard they weren't! Sadly, our tiny dog slipped out of the door and the front gate one of the children accidentally left open one Sunday, and the two pitbulls shook the little dog to near death right in front of my spouse, we had to have the dog put down. My spouse called animal control that time, and they finally took the two dogs that time. I don't know if they were put down, but it is a shame if the two pitbulls had to be put down because of their consistently IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERS! They were beautiful dogs (for pitbulls), and it was a shame at least three dogs and some other pets and strays had to die before something was done about a known problem. I hope the animal control center is doing better under the new management.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 02/03/11 - 05:45 pm
Stray dogs in

Stray dogs in Summerville?

Last seen at Sheehan's pub.

mom of two boys
mom of two boys 02/03/11 - 07:52 pm
I saw a loose white pit near

I saw a loose white pit near Starnes and Metcalf today.

Dixieman
20726
Dixieman 02/04/11 - 10:22 am
1. Catch wild dogs in

1. Catch wild dogs in Summerville.
2. Transport downtown.
3. Release near crack house.
4. Drive away.
Result: Summerville is safe and crack addicts are chased out of downtown.
Alternative: Arm the homeless and give them a bounty on dealers.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 02/03/11 - 11:09 pm
You can make a trap out of an

You can make a trap out of an upside down wire basket hinged to some 3/4 inch plywood, bait it and trap them fairly quick if you want. This is going to be an ongoing problem as folks go broke and set their animals out.

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 02/04/11 - 08:32 am
The white bull terrier is the

The white bull terrier is the leader of the pack and is the most viscious one of the dogs. It has small black spots here and there on its body.

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 02/04/11 - 08:35 am
This particular dog knows a

This particular dog knows a trap when it sees one and poisoning could take out friendly pets. Shoot to kill if encountered!

WARRIOR I
WARRIOR I 02/04/11 - 08:52 am
Wouldn't the letters CWP

Wouldn't the letters CWP apply here ?

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 02/04/11 - 09:55 am
I hope the last two dogs are

I hope the last two dogs are caught quickly and am glad some have been caught. A pack tried to attack my husband some years back out in the country, if he hadn't had a 2x4 close by it would have been bad. Everyone needs to keep their kids inside until these dogs are caught.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 02/04/11 - 02:47 pm
Wonder what the tax users

Wonder what the tax users would do if a taxpayer shot the vicious dog in the city limits on their own land? A Waynesboro farm had to lay everyone off and go bankrupt after the Waynesboro cops said it was fine to shoot rouge dogs in packs killing all their livestock so they shot some of the pack as it attacked children on the farm. They were promptly arrested and lost everything fighting the charges in court. I have the file behind my command center. This is part of why there are FEW JOBS and folks grow tired of paying taxes that are used against them to put them out of business.

raul
raul 02/04/11 - 11:25 am
@Crime... Was this in the AC?

@Crime... Was this in the AC? I would like to know more of the details. Doesn't meet the common sense test based upon just what you have presented.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 02/04/11 - 11:29 am
CRandRTV, I've been wondering

CRandRTV, I've been wondering the same thing. How would it shake down if a concerned citizen who felt threatened by the dogs shot and killed the dogs. My cynical side says that there will be some serious charges brought against the citizen (reckless discharge of a firearm inside city limits, animal cruelty) and possibly a civil charge from the dog's owner. I wouldn't want to face the judges we have in the CSRA.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 02/04/11 - 02:52 pm
raul; It made the True

raul;
It made the True Citizen as they had clippings. The problem arose when one of the dogs made it back to its foxy owner who never contained it or tagged it and was willing to shower the tax users with "favors" at her country home. The farmers were arrested for you guessed it: Animal cruelty, etc... Never mind all their livestock that was eaten alive and the kids who were terrified by snarling bloody dogs…
This is why i suggested trapping.

Second lunch with mayor gives me more to share

Mayor Hardie Davis and I went to lunch again last week and celebrated his first 100 days in office. This time, I didn't forget my tape recorder.