Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

Good editorial that tells Augusta politicians to "do more with less," with one caveat. Even better, do less with less. Most governments nowadays meddle into people's personal lives and responsibilities. Do LESS with less!

TO ALL THE SANCTIMONIOUS anti-abortion hypocrites: if you believe in the sanctity of all life, why are there so many homeless, starving children right here in the USA? Why are you against welfare, against providing health care, against anything that might help the poor? Abortion is a personal choice and has no place on the political agenda.

THE PARKING LOT AT the Aqua Center in Richmond County is a crime zone, and little to nothing is being done about it. Numerous people have had their car windows smashed and contents from their cars stolen. Over the last two months this happened to my daughter's car and to my granddaughter's car. An undercover policeman needs to be stationed there to catch the criminals. Many people visit from out of town for swim meets; the parking lot is often full. We need better protection and prevention.

ABOUT THE RANT to the sheriff that asked if "speeding tickets are more important than burglaries." If the writer would have read about the burglary task force in the Jan 20 Augusta Chronicle before being so ready to criticize, he would know the task force is comprised of one officer from each of the existing "traffic" details, which is what he refers to as "road patrol."

CONGRESSMEN SAY THEY will sit next to their opponents at Obama's State of the Union speech. Why would a crook want to sit next to another crook, except to run some kind of scam?

THE EXCELLENT EDITORIAL about the sheriff's office having to cut back on minor calls didn't mention that it seems no matter how good cops are, modern courts will continue to tie their hands.

NORTH AUGUSTA CITY Council candidates! I will vote for whoever promises to get rid of the new $3 "convenience" charge for paying my utility bill online.

TO THE PERSON in Richmond County who said there were storage buildings in the front yard and it looked like people over in South Carolina: I think you offended Richmond County people and South Carolinians. Please tell the readers the streets that you saw these so-called storage buildings on. Because it sounds like you're a snob. And maybe you have a problem.

IF THEY ARE GOING TO take the "n" word out of Mark Twain's book, all the rappers should have to take it out of their music and stop calling each other that on the street.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/25/11 - 04:13 am
Abortion is the taking of a

Abortion is the taking of a life no matter what your religion is. You can support it if you wish but I personally belive everyone deserves an opportunity.

As for "helping the poor" that is what charity is for not the enabling programs created by big government. You are not helping someone when you continue to give them more and more every time they make a poor choice, bad decision or fail to take personal responsibility / acountability for their actions.

If you are born in the United States, you have more opportunity than being born almost anywhere else. Your aren't owed anything by anyone and the government shouldn't be taking from productive members of society to give to non-productive members of society.

Sounds to me you are a bit SANCTIMONIOUS yourslef.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/25/11 - 05:50 am
If you pay your utility bill

If you pay your utility bill on-line then the county is charged a fee by your credit card company. I agree with the fee. Why should anyone else have to help pay your bill with raised rates for everyone to cover your "convenience" charge?

dani
dani 01/25/11 - 06:37 am
I wonder how much the ranter

I wonder how much the ranter pays for his "on-line" access.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/11 - 08:12 am
strib1
strib1 01/25/11 - 08:51 am
to take the "n words out of

to take the "n words out of books and history" is plain "s" stupid!!!! wont be long before it will take "south" out of south carolina and then it will be just carolina???? we are supposed to be above all of this but certin groups wont giveup..... until the usa is gone, i think....

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/11 - 09:12 am
But strib...Haven't you

But strib...Haven't you notices all the other "stupid" things we do?
1. Paying for illegals to give birth in the USA
2. Paying for the lazy to sit at home & watch Springer on their BIG plasma Tv.
3. Giving prisoners a free ride & easy living. (It should be hell on wheels)
4 Letting unruly kids turn the school systems upside down.
5. Putting stupid idiots in public office.
6. Sending our factory jobs to other countries & then paying unemployment here because we have 0 jobs!
7. Buying goods made from other countries when we could purchase locally.
8. Using our hard earned tax $$$ for nonesense projects just because some politician wants it.
9. Putting our police on furlough days when crime is increasing.
10. We can change the direction of insane decisions-----please vote for some common sense folks next time....don't fall for pretty words & speeches.

dani
dani 01/25/11 - 09:35 am
Good points all. seenit

Good points all. seenit

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/11 - 10:10 am
Another example of how stupid

Another example of how stupid we are..
In the AJC today,, we have 2 private companies bidding for the job of cleaning & maintaining our rest stops & welcome centers.....don't we have enough jailbirds sitting on their duffs....put them to work!

Oh yeh...the company will get to advertise in the rest area ....geeez.....more adds to numb our minds.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/25/11 - 10:15 am
Another article in AJC.....a

Another article in AJC.....a bill has been filed to stop workers comp to illegals.....medical benefits & wages to illegals hurt on the job...the job they shouldn't have to begin with.
Can you see an American getting any of these benefits from Mexico?? Just another example of how insane we are.

Jenifer Harris
Jenifer Harris 01/25/11 - 10:24 am
Media, such as books serve as

Media, such as books serve as a mirror of our culture and our history and it also helps the reader to walk in the shoes of people who have suffered in ways they might not have suffered. Removing the "N" word from the Mark Twain novel (and other such censorship issues) effectively changes the truth of our cultural history and robs readers of the opportunity to "experience" the lifestyle of people born and raised in a different race, creed, etc. The solution does not lie in censorship, it rests with our educators, our parents, and our elders to present the material with a mature explanation that will not only educate and inform, but instill a passion for reading as a way to experience things and feelings that we could not otherwise experience.

happychimer
20209
happychimer 01/25/11 - 10:27 am
I pay all but one of my bills

I pay all but one of my bills online at my bank's website. I use billpay.I pay my cell phone bill on the company website, and am never charged for paying. that is stupid to pay a fee in order to pay a bill.

david jennings
david jennings 01/25/11 - 11:49 am
Ill be your hypocrite,Ive

Ill be your hypocrite,Ive been poor all my life and worked alll my life.Ive voted conservative for the past thirty years because I believe in personal responsibility.Noone owes me anything,I take responsibility for my situation.I recently was laidoff and my insurance is terminated.If I get sick I promise I will suffer my fate.As far as abortion goes,since its not political,well quit paying for it with federal tax dollars

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/25/11 - 12:10 pm
Yep, the fees for online

Yep, the fees for online payment are excessive. If it actually costs them that much then they really negotiated a bad contract. I believe a typical Merchant Account gets charged 2.5% or less per transaction. On a typical water bill of $60.00 that would be $1.50. So if you are being charged $3.00 or $5.00 they are making 100% profit or more on the fees and you are being robbed by your own government. Yes, I have been complaining for an online payment option for several years. Am I willing to be robbed $5.00 for it......NO. Just another fine example of even our our government does something, they will certainly make things worse. Other sizeable municipalities and businesses do this, don't charge extra for it, and actually save money on labor, and on billing too of they offer paperless statements. But not Augusta. It's like our garbage service. If we want something every other city does for a fair price, we have to pay through the nose for it and throw in a little kicker for the city to boot.

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 01/25/11 - 12:40 pm
abortion is murder pure and

abortion is murder pure and simple....the real hippocrites are the ones that condone abortion but want to do away with the death penalty for murderers

stairway2nowhere
stairway2nowhere 01/25/11 - 12:44 pm
and why replace the n word in

and why replace the n word in a classic novel rappers and common thugs white and black spit that word out every five minutes for such a hateful word i dont go a day without hearing it a thousand times ITS NOT A TERM OF ENDEARMENT

happychimer
20209
happychimer 01/25/11 - 12:49 pm
Well well well! Look what the

Well well well! Look what the so called precious Palin did to our flag. She is really a dummy.http://www.comcast.net/news/newswrap/6868682/timedidsarahpalindisrespectthestarsandstripes/

countyman
countyman 01/25/11 - 12:49 pm
I have a few updates to

I have a few updates to share....

Downtown
(1.) The ribbon cutting for the Emporium in Artist Row will be held on Jan 25th, 2011.. Nine trendy apartments and two commerical/retail spaces..

(2.) Sit-N-Spell Coffee house at the corner of 10th and Broad should open up shortly..

(3.) Aficionados (Craft Beers, Fine Wines, and Cigars) on 8th street next to the Loft Ideas Building should open shortly too.

Southwest Augusta
(1.)I usually don't post about new neighborhoods on here.. The neighborhood is really huge and located in a future high growth area.. The 197 acre Hayne's Station subdivision in Southwest Augusta will soon start construction. Both phase 1 and phase 2 will be built from the beginning ..

The neighborhood is located next to Willhaven(the 2009 best selling neighborhood in the CSRA) off Gordon Hwy between Jimmie Dyess Pkwy and the city of Grovetown. Map of the subdivision below..

I definitely expect the 25 acre shopping center on Jimmie Dyess Pkwy(near Zaxbys) to start construction real soon.. They're going to need a new elementary and then a middle school in the area after a while..

West Augusta
(1.) A 18k sq ft retail center on 2 acres of land will be built off Washington road in West Augusta.. The location of the center is 117 Cherry street.. Cherry street is located between Washington road and Riverwatch parkway next to California Dreaming and LongHorn steakhouse...

Click on the link and go to the street view... The land clearing has begun for the new retail center..

(2.) The sign is up for the Mr. Furniture store on Wrightsboro road... Mr. Furniture will replace the former Rooms To Go near the Augusta mall.....

(3.) The National Hills shopping center will undergo 2.5 acres worth of parking improvements..

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/25/11 - 01:39 pm
I love how the pro-abortion

I love how the pro-abortion people keep trying to spread that myth about how pro-life people don't do anything to help starving children, blah, blah, blah. That's all it is, a myth. No one is being sanctimonious about it, except maybe the ranter him or herself. Abortion by any name is still murder, whether it is allowed by law or not. Science and commonsense back THAT up.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 01/25/11 - 02:08 pm
Since the flag in the Palin

Since the flag in the Palin video IS NOT "displayed from a staff in a church or public auditorium" I don't see what is wrong with the way it is. However, I do know who is "really a dummy."

happychimer
20209
happychimer 01/25/11 - 02:17 pm
Palin was a speaker. She had

Palin was a speaker. She had the flag behind her and on her left. She also autographed a flag at a tea party. Your ding bat Palin is a fake.

happychimer
20209
happychimer 01/25/11 - 02:19 pm
The U.S. Flag code was passed

The U.S. Flag code was passed by Congress nearly 70 years ago to provide exact rules for the use and display of the Stars and Stripes. One of the many rules dictates the positioning of the flag relative to a speaker:When displayed from a staff in a church or public auditorium, the flag of the United States of America should hold the position of superior prominence, in advance of the audience, and in the position of honor at the clergyman's or speaker's right as he faces the audience.

happychimer
20209
happychimer 01/25/11 - 02:22 pm
This isn't the first time

This isn't the first time Palin has run afoul of the U.S. Flag Code.She caused a mini-uproar last fall when she casually autographed a supporter's American flag at a Tea Party rally. And of course there was the photo from Palin's spread in Runner's World, which had her leaning on a flag draped over a stool. Will any of these flag infractions matter to Palin's fans? Of course not. But maybe, just maybe, during the next campaign we could all be spared the ridiculous debates over doctored photos of Democrats putting the "wrong" hand over their heart while saluting the flag or uproar over whether Obama should wear a flag pin wherever he goes.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 01/25/11 - 02:24 pm
Exactly what I said, "WHEN

Exactly what I said, "WHEN DISPLAYED FROM A STAFF IN A CHURCH OR PUBLIC AUDITORIUM" Unless I am mistaken, she is in neither!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/25/11 - 02:54 pm
NORTH AUGUSTA CITY Council

Why would they stop from taking money out of your hands just for your vote when no one else is making that claim? These are politicans, so what, you wont vote for them, they just say something to make other people vote for them.....

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 01/25/11 - 03:26 pm
THE PARKING LOT AT the Aqua

Until the money being lost by visitors starts coming out of the pockets of the folk running ANY government entity, crime will go on. The minute it comes out of their pockets, it will go down or stop. Currently they get their full paycheck and raises no matter how many citizens lose everything we own. We have invited the center to join AugustaCrimeStoppers.org or participate in receiving rewards up to 5 million dollars but so far there has been no reply from their director Roger Wexler, who was not at work when we called at 3:15 today.

dani
dani 01/25/11 - 04:03 pm
Sob...Some goon hit my car

Sob...Some goon hit my car and created a dent, along with cracked paint, of about a 3 inch square (yesterday about noon) while I was inside the Friedman Library. No note left, no witness...just a danged dent next to the headlight on the drivers side.
Oh well, what's done is done.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/25/11 - 04:12 pm
You are so right, Crime

You are so right, Crime Reports! This mentality is the reason why the North Augusta ranter won't get their fee reduced and why there is less cops on burglary patrol than traffic enforcement!

countyman
countyman 01/25/11 - 05:24 pm
Yesterday the Augusta

Yesterday the Augusta Commission's public services committee gave the approval for a retail beer and wine license for Aficionados. Aficionados(Craft Beers, Fine Wines, and Cigars)is located at 307 8th street next to the Loft Ideas building. The owner said the establishment caters to shoppers with a median income of $75k...

The airport announced nonstop flights to New York and Washington DC, over 400 new parking spaces, along with a restaurant and lounge will be added to the airport within a year. The committee approved a bid for $4.8 million to Reeves Construction to build 1,000 parking spaces at Augusta Regional Airport. The officials at the airport must be expected new airlines and new destinations on the current carriers...

MysteryWriter
MysteryWriter 01/25/11 - 04:42 pm
RE: My credit union does not

RE: My credit union does not charge a fee to my non government creditors when I use their services to pay my bills online. They simply debit my account, my creditors get their money almost instantly and another tree is saved, not to mention time and effort that it takes to collect and process a paper check. Richmond County wants $5.00 for online payment. That's a scam at best and another way to tax us.

Typical merchants add this charge to their 'overhead' costs and add it to the cost of the merchandise on their shelves. Therefore, customers who come in to retail stores and pay cash are actually paying for a service they are not getting.

I guess the government could just charge everyone like regular merchants do but then those who only pay by mailing a check will complain at paying for a 'convenience' they are not getting. And trust me, there are a lot more people paying by check than would consider paying by credit card.

happychimer
20209
happychimer 01/25/11 - 05:06 pm
What is a PUBLIC auditorium?

What is a PUBLIC auditorium? Any public place can be a public auditorium. You think it is ok for Palin to disrespect the flag. ok