Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG RAVE to University Hospital and Lynda Jones for the great job they did during the snowstorm by bringing in more than 100 people by vehicles and having 90-plus people (nurses and others) spend the night at the hospital in order to be prepared to care for our patients. Lynda and her team did a great job and did University Hospital proud.

A RANT TO the city of Augusta as a whole. This is the second year in a row we've been hit with a winter storm. Last year it was snow; this year it was ice. Put some money into salt trucks, for crying out loud!

THOUGH I AM very appreciative that my husband has a job, I am tired of the big plants that feel it is more important to worry about keeping operations going than the safety of their employees driving in these conditions. So glad they are making millions of dollars. If anything happens to my husband tonight, I will be calling you, Ken Nugent!

A RANT TO those who believe in global warming: Europe is having the coldest winter in 300 years, and Augusta is heading for a record winter. The northeastern U.S. is being pounded by storm after storm. Then you want us to believe the world is getting warmer?

I THINK IF they want to let the public safety people go, then the mayor and the commission and the people heading Augusta should be out there scraping and throwing sand and salt.

I'D LIKE TO rant about the North Augusta post office. I haven't got any mail since last Saturday. Today is Wednesday, and God only knows.

I AM GLAD the mail did not come Monday. There is no need in somebody getting hurt for one day's mail. I have trouble walking and would not have gone to the mailbox even if the mail had come. It might be a good idea if the mail did not come one day a week, say maybe Wednesday. Nobody would be out of mail, and we might get cheaper rates.

WHAT'S THE DEAL with the price of Postal Service freight/stamps going up, but the mail will only run on certain roads when it snows? And I quote: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." Whatever. I didn't get my mail today. Go figure.

I READ IN the paper what happened to "neither rain, sleet or snow" slogan for the Postal Service. I'm in south Augusta and I feel the same way. But the paper does show up. Rain, snow or sleet. So they can go with that. All the ladies and gentlemen down at the newspaper always make sure I get my paper. The post office in south Augusta needs to wake up.

RAVES TO THE Augusta Chronicle 's newspaper carriers. We did not get mail on Monday, but the paper has been here every morning. Thank you. Stay safe.

mawtnez
mawtnez 01/13/11 - 05:04 am
If you don't understand

If you don't understand science, you really shouldn't rant about meteorology. Too many people believe the word "warming" means the climate (air temperature) is supposed to be warmer. What is warming is the oceans. THAT causes extreme changes in climate, including a colder than normal climate in winter, warmer than normal in summer. If you are interested in more than skewering Al Gore, visit http://www.koshland-science-museum.org/exhibitgcc/index.jsp and see if it makes a little more sense.

pops1
pops1 01/13/11 - 07:15 am
My rave is for the USPS..I

My rave is for the USPS..I had mail delivered every single day that more than half of the state was shut down due to inclement weather. I live in Martinez. My congrats to all the postal service for your delivery of the mail. Your slogan"through snow, rain or hail" seems very true. You earn my respect! Bravo!

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/13/11 - 09:14 am
North Augusta post office had

North Augusta post office had my mail delivered everyday...thank you!

dani
dani 01/13/11 - 09:42 am
My mail came every day but

My mail came every day but apparently some of the ranters get a different type mail than I get. Junk mail, bills, absolutely nothing worthwhile.

Did anyone give a thought to maybe it wasn't the fault of the post office but the mail carriers. Maybe they didn't show up to drive the route. Why don't you ask him/her.

myopinion3
myopinion3 01/13/11 - 10:03 am
Raves to Ms Lynda at

Raves to Ms Lynda at university but how about raves also to the dozens of employees who got to work thru the help of their family on some very treacherous roads, which left the 4wheel drivers to go get others.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 01/13/11 - 10:20 am
Raves to all of those who got

Raves to all of those who got to work. C'mon, don't be jealous someone else got a rave. Give your raves to your friends and hardworkers anytime. They'd sure appreciate it. Thank God University Hospital did an outstanding job during this crisis...as did so many others. All of your are fantastic!!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/13/11 - 10:57 am

Thank you to all the employees at the University Hospital---thanks for taking care of my love ones.......
Good am CSRA!

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/13/11 - 11:34 am
Hey seenit....my Daughter in

Hey seenit....my Daughter in Gwinett County is going crazy!! Her son has been out of school all week and she has not been able to go to work...she says the powers that be in Atlanta are so busy fighting about which roads are "county" and which are not is causing a major problem.....seems the entire Southeast has dug out of this mess Except the Atlanta area....whats up?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/13/11 - 11:57 am
betty lol....I'll trade GOB

betty lol....I'll trade GOB with her....:)---a good ole boy can't stand inside more than a day ....sooo he is climbing the walls.
This area doesn't have the snow-ice equipment to clear the roads.....this happens once in a 6 or 7 year period so they aren't going to spend $$$ for the heavy snow trucks,.....
Downtown Atlanta was slow in getting the roads cleared but 18 wheelers blocked many interstates when they jack-knived all over the highways.......really felt bad for some farm animals (cows) stuck in this freezing snow-ice on the interstates.....some folks were good natured about it & some wanted to blast the authorities..
What is great to look at most of the year (tree laden shady roads with hilly terrain) causes havoc in this ice/snow..
We are lucky--we are retired & just stayed in......neighbors even cleaned our driveway...hahah....so far we haven't killed each other---thank goodness the power stayed on during this crisis.....my neighbors even came over & ask if GOB could come out & play on the sleds.....funny....I said ...don't you know he isn't a spring chicken...didn't matter--out he went---acting like a kid.!!!!

usafvet
usafvet 01/13/11 - 12:01 pm
To the "hug a lawyer" wife

To the "hug a lawyer" wife that wants to support Ken Nugent, you are a very narrow minded individual. It is very costly if a mill or even parts of it are shut down in freezing weather. The damage done could cost many, many thousands of dollars in repairs not counting the lost production. If they ran their mills to suit people like you, your husband would likely be unemployed. Maybe then you could go to work, perhaps cleaning Ken Nugent's office. Besides, if they let your husband miss work, he would probably have loaded his gear and drove a greater distance to go deer hunting. Get off the liberal mentality and be happy that the companies make millions and even you benefit from it.

usafvet
usafvet 01/13/11 - 12:06 pm
Refreshing. AC posters to

Refreshing. AC posters to this point are responsible posters with positive attitudes. I'm sure one of the "sour" posters will jump in and change all this, but again, refreshing. Good morning to you all. I don't spend much time here anymore for the obvious reasons, but enjoy all posting this morning. Have a wonderful day. GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, AND OUR VETERANS.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/13/11 - 12:09 pm
I always enjoy your posts

I always enjoy your posts vet.....hope you are warm & safe. :)

What4
What4 01/13/11 - 12:24 pm
Newspaper..what's that?

Newspaper..what's that? Obviously, you have a computer..power out?

seenitB4

> > South Georgia; and are guarded day and night by armed guards and large
> > dogs.
> >
> > Harvesting the Grit is a dangerous occupation, and many Grit miners lose
> > their
> >
> > lives each year so that Grits can continue to be served morning after
> > morning
> >
> > for breakfast (not that having Grits for lunch and dinner is out of the
> > question).
lol

carcraft
carcraft 01/13/11 - 01:26 pm
mawtenez- Climate scientist

mawtenez- Climate scientist predicted snow would be rare in England and Europe- Oh well at least the polar bears will be OK!

happychimer
happychimer 01/13/11 - 01:20 pm
Good ole grits! Ain't nothing

Good ole grits! Ain't nothing like 'em. I love grits.

Jane18
Jane18 01/13/11 - 02:23 pm
I've missed quite a few of

I've missed quite a few of former posters, and usafvet you are one of them. Good to know you're okay.

happychimer
happychimer 01/13/11 - 05:18 pm
President Obama last night

President Obama last night gave the best speech I have heard him make. He really spoke from the heart. AC sees fit not to mention the memorial service, but I am not surprised.

usafvet
usafvet 01/13/11 - 08:18 pm
Let's be honest with

Let's be honest with ourselves. He spoke from the teleprompter just as he always does. What he has is good speech writers. I'm anxiously awaiting his farewell speech. I really don't care how well or how poorly written it is or how well he delivers it, It will be the most welcomed speech yet.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 01/13/11 - 08:27 pm
Bush always spoke from his

Bush always spoke from his heart as well. That is why he always looked and sounded so stupid. But I will give the man his due, as president he did sign into law the extended daylight savings time.

happychimer
happychimer 01/13/11 - 08:38 pm
President Obama had a big

President Obama had a big book or folder with his speech in it. He used it as a guide. The other speakers did the same thing, so don't single out the President.

old49er
old49er 01/13/11 - 09:47 pm
The event that Obama spoke at

The event that Obama spoke at was NOT a memorial to the people who were killed or injured, it was a pep rally for his 2012 campaign. He should have reminded those students who were whistling and whooping that it was a somber occasion and to show some respect.

happychimer
happychimer 01/13/11 - 10:02 pm
You people will do anything

You people will do anything to put down the President. He did not lead the memorial. He did not control the crowd. The people in Tuscon needed the cheering. There has been a lot of crying there this week. You were not there. You probably did not watch it either. All the speakers brought cheers. Just continue being miserable and moaning and groaning. I know what it is that drives Obama haters. I don't have to spell it out to anyone.

trimmy
trimmy 01/13/11 - 10:07 pm
49 er is right. That was a

49 er is right. That was a shame this event was used for political reasons. What a dirtbag! This fool could not have cared less about the victims or their families. His true inner self is certainly coming out now.

happychimer
happychimer 01/13/11 - 10:34 pm
I heard nothing but raves

I heard nothing but raves from democrats AND republicans on his speech. Even the governor of Arizona.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 01/13/11 - 10:35 pm
Heavens, trimmy, careful,

Heavens, trimmy, careful, you'll get on HappyChimers "D" list! :)

MADMAMA1313
MADMAMA1313 01/13/11 - 11:00 pm
I have a rant about Fifth

I have a rant about Fifth Third Bank mortgage department how they try to cheat their customers. I just want everyone to know if you have to get a mortgage then please find another bank to finance you. Fifth Third is charging fees on top of fees for stuff that doesn't need to be done or has been done they say it is for inspection but the funny part is they can't prove someone came out to inspect like they say funny how it was inspected four times within a months time and still can't show proof. Please everyone save yourself some money and stress find another bank.

happychimer
happychimer 01/13/11 - 11:03 pm
Sarge are you trying to start

Sarge are you trying to start a fuss? It ain't gonna happen. bye bye haha

usapatriot
usapatriot 01/14/11 - 03:16 am
yeah, there are still some

yeah, there are still some RINOS out there we need to vote out.

Tell me, happychimer, that the President and his people didn't KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON AT THAT ARENA? ANYONE? All that was missing was the OBAMA / BIDEN 2012 banners.

Obama doesn't go into these events unaware of any detail. For you or anyone else to think differently is foolish. The WH probably directed most of it. They certainly approved it. Our President doesn't walk into televised/publicized/universally watched events blind.

If I was a survivor attending that event, I'd have walked out.

According to the Tucson paper last Sunday, the congresswoman opened her eyes. The doctors were periodically bringing her out of the drug induced coma.

Obama tells us, not once, not twice, but FOUR TIMES that she opened eyes for the first time "AFTER HE LEFT" her room. All bow to the great messiah...

Boy didn't he eat up that applause. 4 times!!! Bring back some of those street aggitator days Barry? Or were you trying to immitate your preacher, Rev Wright?

Typical of this guy in the 2d part of his speech, about "rheotric and civility". Another "talking down to America". Do as I say, not as I do.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/14/11 - 08:00 am
We know Augusta is getting

We know Augusta is getting too violent if mild mannered Deke Copenhaver thinks more security is needed around Commission meetings. Deke has said in the past the only crime in Augusta is in our imaginations and there's no need for the Chronicle to have the 911 recordings because there's no crime. I mean Deke has NEVER said anything controversial since the 11th grade when he threw up his hands in frustration and told Mrs. Cunningham the projector was no good while trying to run it for the science class. He knew he upset her and apologized for 20 minutes while the class anxiously waited to see how the sperm cells traveled upstream. If Deke fears someone is coming after him, Riverman is buying a bullet proof vest.

Commissioners seek attorney general's opinion on SPLOST

Two Augusta commissioners are seeking an opinion from Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens on the city's disbursement of sales tax proceeds to non-profits.