Fort Discovery says farewell

Back | Next
"I'm really upset ... I like the puzzles here. I like how they're challenging." -- Callie Corder , 10  Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff

Children and adults took their last glides Friday on the gravity-defying Moon Walk, their last spins on the revolving Human Gyro and their last yells into the Echo Tube at the National Science Center's Fort Discovery.

On the center's last day of business, families filtered through the two floors of science exhibits, and staff said goodbye.

After 13 years, the educational center closed its doors Friday as part of a restructuring plan that will move its headquarters to Washington, D.C.

The move leaves Augusta without a science center and will put the 19 Fort Discovery employees out of work.

"We were very dedicated and committed to Fort Discovery," said the center's controller, Paige Tom. "I'm going to miss the co-workers and the sound of children. It just brings life to the place."

Donnie Tomlinson learned of the shutdown while visiting from Hiawassee, Ga., with his son, Roman.

"I've only been here 30 minutes, and I see a lot I like," Tomlinson said. "They probably get more out of here than they do in actual school."

And in the PowerStation, where staff performs live science demonstrations, Joshua Bush, 21, stood before his audience for the last time. He showed giggling children how to make a kazoo out of a straw and how to shatter glass with acoustics.

As he finished and waved goodbye, he caught himself saying what he wished could have been true for another 13 years.

"Thanks for coming! Please come ba -- oh, wait."

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/01/11 - 07:52 am
Augusta really messed up in

Augusta really messed up in letting FD go...I have been going there 10 years with my daughter, now 12, and went yesterday. We will REALLY miss it!!

dawgfan
dawgfan 01/01/11 - 09:31 am
it is a sad day in augusta

it is a sad day in augusta seeing fd fold up brought my daughter and nephew many times over the years we always had a great time and learned alot at the same time

ColCo
ColCo 01/01/11 - 09:34 am
Perfect location and facility

Perfect location and facility for a riverfront casino!

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/01/11 - 11:04 am
yeah just throw the kids

yeah just throw the kids away....and put in gambling...typical augustaspeak

raul
raul 01/01/11 - 11:20 am
ColCo, That isn't a bad idea!

ColCo, That isn't a bad idea!

Hucklebuck
Hucklebuck 01/01/11 - 12:20 pm
We can't bring gambling to

We can't bring gambling to Augusta. It would bring crime and corruption to or nice........wait a minute we already got that..........let me bet 20.00 on black!!! LOL

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/01/11 - 01:16 pm
I remember when Fort

I remember when Fort Discovery opened. The Chronicle had big inserts in the Sunday paper for weeks like this was another Disney World opening. The whole Port Royal development has been a big disappointment from the shopping center to this. Too bad.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/01/11 - 01:16 pm
Isn't gambling illegal in

Isn't gambling illegal in Georgia?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/01/11 - 04:31 pm
Dichotomy, you summarize the

Dichotomy, you summarize the situation well. I'm not sure where the authority for all these moves and establishment of a new center in Washington are coming from. You are absolutely right. In these times of budget cuts the whole thing should be eliminated now if it's moving from Augusta.

bclicious
bclicious 01/02/11 - 10:05 am
This is just a duplicate

This is just a duplicate story. Why does AC keeping reposting duplicate stories?

Wreck blocks I-20 lanes
Eastbound lanes of Interstate 20 near the state line are blocked due to a collision, according to the South Carolina Highway Patrol.