Christmas snowfall possible for Augusta

The Atlanta area has been preparing for the possibility of a white Christmas since news hit earlier this week. But now, Augusta might also be seeing some, too.

"It's more than likely not going to be until very late Christmas Day," said Meteorologist Chris Liscinsky, of the National Weather Service in West Columbia, S.C.

National Weather Center records, which go back to 1850, have never shown snow falling on Christmas Day in Augusta.

With highs in the mid to upper 40s, the majority of the day will be filled with rain. Later that night, a mix of snow and rainfall could begin to fall. By late Saturday to early Sunday, when temperatures fall into the 20s, there's a possibility for a "brief changeover into light snow."

"With surface temperatures in the 40s, anything that initially falls will probably melt," Liscinsky said.

The Augusta area is expected to see accumulation of only one-tenth of an inch or less.

Farther north, near Atlanta, there's a 50 percent chance for snow on Christmas night. Like Augusta, rainfall is all that's foreseen for Christmas Day.

The strong storm system churning its way through the desert Southwest early Thursday will bring metro Atlanta a good chance for a white Christmas, with accumulating snow possible as far south as the Columbus and Macon areas, forecasters said.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/23/10 - 09:12 am
Bring it on baby... we have

Bring it on baby... we have soup & crackers & Santa came here already!!

Lawpig
Lawpig 12/23/10 - 10:07 am
Would love to have a white

Would love to have a white Christmas. Plus, being Christmas, most people are already stocked up on food and alcohol.

P.S. Thanks Chronicle for inserting Augusta!

S.Fitz-CSI
S.Fitz-CSI 12/23/10 - 10:21 am
Lawpig, I like the way you

Lawpig, I like the way you think, you are so right bring on the snow.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/23/10 - 10:55 am
I don't think Mother Nature

I don't think Mother Nature reads the Augusta Chronicle but I'd rather not get stuck at work cause someone will call in due to road conditions. Any excuse will do right?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/23/10 - 10:59 am
Yeah, it'd be great, that's

Yeah, it'd be great, that's for sure! But...and I hate to be a downer here, but I'm going to make sure my kids don't see this. They'll be looking out the window all day long! They'll be concentrating on watching for the snow instead of bugging me to put together their toys and....hey, that's not a bad thing, is it?!? Let it snow, baby!!!

bclicious
bclicious 12/23/10 - 11:20 am
Yes, bring on the snow!!!!!

Yes, bring on the snow!!!!!

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 12/23/10 - 01:35 pm
The higher the percentage

The higher the percentage chance of snow, the lower our maturity level gets! Merry Christmas! May God bless us, every one!

follower 12/23/10 - 02:39 pm
If it snows, I can only hope

If it snows, I can only hope people will enjoy it from the inside and not try and ride around to see the sights. 4WD's don't have any more traction than any other vehicle except to accelerate. Braking and handling are limited. It's amazing how many think a 4WD has no limits.

All of the paint and body shops are rubbing their hands together in excitement.

It would be the first "White Christmas" in my 50 years in the south so I'd love to see it. But as "Reformed" said, snow usually lowers the IQ level drastically.

211lover
211lover 12/23/10 - 11:02 pm
The weather channel said

The weather channel said Sunday!

Iamrightyouarewrong
Iamrightyouarewrong 12/24/10 - 01:04 am
The snowfall all depends on

The snowfall all depends on if the Augusta National decides we get the snow or not. They make all the decisions for Augusta.

deportem
deportem 12/24/10 - 05:59 am
I was in Sioux Falls, SD last

I was in Sioux Falls, SD last week, and had a chance to walk and drive in the snow. It was great!! I even drove down the heavily snow covered back streets to get the full experience!

4 p.m. news conference set to address animal services concerns

City officials have scheduled a 4 p.m. news conference at Augusta Municipal Building to announce changes in the works at Augusta Animal Services, according to Commissioner Donnie Smith. "We have ...