Rants & Raves

THIS IS A RAVE FOR Steve at Jiffy Lube on Martintown Road. My car was overheating and I drove it there very early on Friday morning. Although they weren't open yet, he looked under my hood and let me know what my problem was and how they could fix it. Thank you. You give auto mechanics a good name.

MY FAMILY AND I attended the Festival of Christmas at First Baptist Church in North Augusta. The choir did a wonderful performance. Also, the guest, This Hope, did a wonderful job singing. Your drama department is tops. I'm already looking forward to your performance next year.

IT IS UNDERSTANDABLE that government agencies can only offer insipid "Holiday Greetings" or "Season's Greetings," but if you want me to spend my money in your store, then wish me a "Merry Christmas." I do not buy Holiday Gifts, Season's Greetings gifts, or Winter Solstice gifts. I buy Christmas gifts.

THIS IS A RANT TO ALL of the drivers that can't read the "Do Not Block Intersection" signs at all the intersections along Wrightsboro Road near the Augusta Mall. The law states that if you cannot clear the intersection, do NOT pull out and block it for others. When will the law enforcement start ticketing these drivers?

THIS IS A RANT TO an Evans Middle School parent. During the boys basketball game (Grovetown vs. Evans Middle School), a parent came onto the court, trying to attack the kid that was playing against her child. Not only did you embarrass your kid, you embarrassed yourself and his school.

TURN LANEY-WALKER into Laney Walker Memorial Park. I believe that it would be wonderful to turn Laney-Walker from R.A. Dent Boulevard to Central Avenue to a memorial park. This would be great as a green space with a statue of Mrs. Laney in the park. I wish my fellow citizens would look at the bigger picture. Let's move Augusta forward!

WHY IS IT THE PEOPLE that talk the most about tolerance and love of fellow man have the least of both?

A BIG RANT TO AUGUSTA local politics. I have never lived in a place with so much sordidness in its local politics. It seems like it's all who you know in order to get things done around here. I was told almost as soon as I moved here that I needed to "know" the right people to get anything done.

crackerjack
crackerjack 12/22/10 - 06:51 am
Thanks for the positive R&Rs,

Thanks for the positive R&Rs, and Merry Christmas to all the sour pusses.

shelby547
shelby547 12/22/10 - 07:29 am
Is it that big of deal if

Is it that big of deal if someone wishes you a happy holiday and not a Merry Christmas. I say Merry Christmas, but if someone says happy holidays or seasons greetings I don't even think twice. Reverse PC I guess.

truth_be_told
truth_be_told 12/22/10 - 07:46 am
I agree with ranter #3. I

I agree with ranter #3. I just got my Christmas week Fold Lion ad in the mail with "Happy Kwansa" all across the bottom. It is fine to be all inclusive but isn't the biggest reason for celebrating this week Christ's birthday. I think all people would agree it is. I'll drive the extra miles to go to Publix.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/22/10 - 09:29 am
This should make you feel all

This should make you feel all safe and fuzzy............http://www.theblaze.com/stories/shock-natl-intelligence-director-admits-he-didnt-know-about-uk-terror-arrests/

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/22/10 - 09:42 am
I saw that on tv boop....& I

I saw that on tv boop....& I thought-- oops, the director.....DOESN'T KNOW!!!
The Atlanta airport has REALLY increased the security btw---big trucks are going through radiation detectors & etc. "sumthins up"
Good am csra.

dani
dani 12/22/10 - 10:07 am
Rant #7..I notice you didn't

Rant #7..I notice you didn't mention judgemental.

rdbike
rdbike 12/22/10 - 12:10 pm
As far back as I can remember

As far back as I can remember this time of year is Christmas. When we got out of school it was Christmas Break. I know and understand there are different religions and different beliefs, but this is the Christmas Season. For hundreds of years in this nation it was recognized as such by federal, state and local governments as such. I think we have become just too PC regarding this time of year. The Happy Holidays, the Seasons Greetings and the XMas (what the heck is with this Xmas?). It is Christmas and I say to you without meaning any offense to anyone...Merry Christmas!

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/22/10 - 12:15 pm
Rant 4: Although you are

Rant 4: Although you are absolutely correct, my advice is to get used to it, people here do those kinds of things, same as often seen crossing TWO lanes to make a turn.

dani
dani 12/22/10 - 01:48 pm
Blocking the light at Augusta

Blocking the light at Augusta Mall entrance has been gpong on since it opened . I don't see it changing now. You learn to go around it...it can be done.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 12/22/10 - 01:56 pm
why not close tht portion of

why not close tht portion of laney walker and turn it into a cemetary, it will be right next to mcg (where most gunshot victims without insurance are taken, so it only be a hop skip and jump from the trama room to the grave), it seems the most logical thing to do since the so-called religious/community leaders are more concerned about laney-walker being closed than the high rate of teenage/unwed pregnacies, high rates of blacks living in the projects and poverty rates. the high numbers of households headed by black females, high rates of black-on-black crime, low test scores and graduation rates and the failure of all title I schools to meet ayp. just laong as the large churches are located next to projects or poor sections of town in order to continue to "fleece the flock" all the while making them believe if they give all they have their "blessings are just around the corner"

User420
User420 12/22/10 - 02:51 pm
Ranter # 4 is missing the

Ranter # 4 is missing the point entirely:

In America, we have a nation of MANY RELIGIONS, a nation where we all ALL free to practice (or not practice) our religious beliefs and holidays. Does this mean that local governments should allocate public budgets for purchasing Christmas wreaths, lights and trees to adorn the streets? I believe not. The role of government is NOT to adorn our towns with Christmas decorations. Leave it up to the residents to decorate their private homes, cars, recreational vehicles, dogs, lawns, with whatever they feel like they would like to decorate with. But once those religious objects and symbols are purchased by municipal governments and displayed on public properties, the government is essentially promoting religion through the acquisition and display of the objects. And that is unconstitutional. No one is waging a war on Christmas. Feel free to privately celebrate as much as you want. Put those decorations wherever you want (ON YOUR OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY). Our founding fathers and mothers were smart people for realizing that a separation between government and religion is wise. I am reminded once again what a wonderful country we live in. Hopefully we can all educate ourselves more on these issues and become wiser together.

TERRIGEORGE
TERRIGEORGE 12/22/10 - 03:16 pm
My biggest RANT is reading

My biggest RANT is reading comments posted and having to decode the what you all are trying to say, especially from "truth be told".

dani
dani 12/22/10 - 03:55 pm
truth..Mine was used to help

truth..Mine was used to help start a fire in the fireplace.
It went up in smoke!

Chillen
Chillen 12/22/10 - 05:19 pm
Turncoat RINO Johnny Isakson

Turncoat RINO Johnny Isakson voted for the Start Treaty. Call his office and voice your displeasure. What a skunk! We are stuck with this loser for 6 years!

User420
User420 12/22/10 - 05:45 pm
@ Chillen I guess voting that

@ Chillen

I guess voting that straight republican ticket back in November is kinda biting you on the behind eh?

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 12/22/10 - 06:44 pm
"Sumbit a rant or rave"???

"Sumbit a rant or rave"???

KSL
KSL 12/22/10 - 06:47 pm
Uses, are you saying the

Uses, are you saying the other candidate would have voted against it, huh?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/22/10 - 07:11 pm
Just saw on the late news

Just saw on the late news that they have found illegals stowed away on some of the trucks at Hartsfield------looking for bomb materials-etc. & finding illegals.......dogs & radiation checkers are on the job. :)

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 12/22/10 - 08:10 pm
So whatcha gonna do about it?

So whatcha gonna do about it? Nothin, like the rest of us. Even the ones with power ain't doin' nothin'. Find something else worthwhile to get in an uproar about.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/22/10 - 08:18 pm
boo....Are you serious??

boo....Are you serious?? Are you saying to lie down & let milions more come ON OVER---we will educate your children-take care of your medical bills--esp. births of babies--take a hit when they crash into our car BECAUSE they won't have insurance...I'm hoping the REP. will do "sumthin" next year.

Chillen
Chillen 12/22/10 - 09:01 pm
user420. Our problems would

user420. Our problems would have been far bigger with a dem in office. I voted libertarian where one was available. They would have NEVER voted for this.

Chillen
Chillen 12/22/10 - 09:02 pm
Isakson sucks!

Isakson sucks!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/22/10 - 10:00 pm
user420, I find it silly that

user420, I find it silly that you would consider Christmas trees, lights and wreaths symbols of religion. Government is no more promoting religion by displaying these festive decors than a resident displaying them in their home. Don't suppose you have a Christmas tree in your house, or maybe some Christmas lights. Lord forbid! Wouldn't want anyone thinking you are promoting religion.

User420
User420 12/22/10 - 11:04 pm
I said that privately and in

I said that privately and in privately owned businesses it was up to whomever owned them.

ICL, I respect you and your faith. I do. But please for the love of Allah learn THAT NOT EVERYONE SHARES YOUR FAITH!!!

I'm astounded at how little of our history some of you people know.

America was founded as a SECULAR nation, specifically because of the atrocities brought on the colonists by the theocratic governments of the colonies; Rhode Island was founded as a sanctuary from those fleeing the abuses of the Massachusetts Colony.

Not only that, but Christmas itself was banned by the Massachusetts Colony between 1659 and 1681, because of its pagan origin. It was based on the Festival of Saturnalia.

Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).

As Momster once said:

If you feel threatened by the fact that we have separation of church and state, and you feel that religion should be legislated, remember that perhaps my religious beliefs may be forced upon you. For all you Christians out there, beware what you ask for, I am not Christian. Do you REALLY want me to be able to legislate your spiritual life?

crackerjack
crackerjack 12/23/10 - 02:39 am
I agree with Chillen, and now

I agree with Chillen, and now Iran is going to sell their new missiles which can reach the Southern part of the US to Venezuela run by Hugo Chavez the nut case. The RINO Isakson, is one of the responsible parties when this happens in the near future. Please write or call him and voice your displeasure with is irresponsible vote.

Johnny Isakson, Georgia
United States Senate
120 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-3643 / (202) 224-3643
Fax: (202) 228-0724

One Overton Park, Suite 970
3625 Cumberland Blvd
Atlanta, GA 30339
Tel: (770) 661-0999 / (770) 661-0999
Fax: (770) 661-0768

old49er
old49er 12/23/10 - 07:32 am
Local law enforcement will

Local law enforcement will start ticketing drivers who block intersections about the same time they start ticketing the morons who drive in the rain with no lights. In other words, it ain't gonna happen.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/23/10 - 01:10 pm
User420, I know perfectly

User420, I know perfectly well what you said. You are up in arms about the city streets being decorated for Christmas. Some where in that brain of yours you think that just because lights are hung, wreath's decorate poles, and Christmas trees are presented, somehow that means government is promoting a religion. I am not naive, and understand full well that not everyone believes in Christ or may have a different religious view....that's life but to be such a scourge as to not want our city streets decorated for Christmas because you're afraid someone might think about Christ.