Ban on gays in military ending

WASHINGTON --- In a landmark vote that for some echoed the nation's greatest civil-rights struggles, the Senate on Saturday moved resolutely to abolish the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, which for 17 years has forced gay and lesbian members of the armed forces to keep their sexual orientation hidden.

The 65-31 vote, which came after a charged and sometimes vitriolic debate, was surprisingly bipartisan. Eight Republicans joined Democrats in voting to repeal the Clinton-era policy. No Georgia or South Carolina senator backed repeal.

"It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed," President Obama said Saturday. "It is time to allow gay and lesbian Americans to serve their country openly."

The drive toward repeal represented a significant -- and somewhat unforeseen -- political victory for Obama and Democrats on Capitol Hill, who have struggled to advance their agenda during the final weeks of Congress.

Days earlier, it had appeared that partisan squabbling would scuttle the repeal effort.

Momentum had begun to build anew after testimony earlier in the month by Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, both of whom again called for an end to the policy, citing a Pentagon study that said the change would cause little disruption within the ranks of the military.

More than 14,000 members of the armed forces have been discharged since the policy's inception in 1993.

Gates cautioned Saturday that though Obama is expected to sign the measure next week, repeal will not happen immediately. Under the legislation, the policy can only be altered once new guidelines are put in place that are "consistent with the standards of military readiness, military effectiveness, unit cohesion, and recruiting and retention," he said.

GOP senators, led by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., the ranking member of the Armed Services Committee, accused Democrats of pushing the repeal through in the last days of a lame-duck Congress in defiance of the results of November's elections.

"We are jamming -- or trying to jam -- major issues through the Senate of the United States because (Democrats) know they can't get it done beginning next January," McCain said.

"Today is a sad day," he said.

Ironically, McCain's close ally during the 2008 presidential campaign, Sen. Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn., spearheaded the push for repeal, countering McCain's claims on the Senate floor.

"Allowing people to serve our military regardless of sexual orientation is not a liberal or conservative idea, not a Republican or Democratic idea," said Lieberman, who walked 90 minutes from his home in Washington to the Capitol in observance of the Jewish Sabbath. "It is an American idea consistent with American values."

freeradical
freeradical 12/18/10 - 08:50 pm
The blood donation centers

The blood donation centers cannot afford this newest taxpayer funded

social experiment debacle.

Homosexual men cannot donate, and with good scientific & legal

reason.

Of course when you are government property and in need of a blood

transfusion you will take your battlefield transfusion and like it.

No matter who supplies it.

If only scientifically run, legally liable, civilian blood donation

centers could be operated with such reckless abandon.

Imagine how much more blood would be available.

Hopefully the supreme court will one day force them to do so as well.

dougk
dougk 12/18/10 - 07:16 pm
You are REALLY reaching,

You are REALLY reaching, freeradical.

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/18/10 - 08:00 pm
Free. Having HIV is a

Free. Having HIV is a dismissal from the military, and checked for periodically.

soldout
soldout 12/18/10 - 08:10 pm
It is a sad day but a sign of

It is a sad day but a sign of end times. This country is already reaping some bad crops and now there will be one more on the way to our barn. No one wins when sin is celebrated. You don't have to believe it but you will get to watch it.

Southern_Patriot

soldout you got it right

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 12/18/10 - 09:37 pm
andrew412
andrew412 12/18/10 - 09:58 pm
Well I guess I don't mind

Well I guess I don't mind being the first positive comment on this thread, but: GOOD FOR AMERICA, it was about damn time. The bigots and racists and radical idiots will see the day when they are no longer relevant to a productive society.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/18/10 - 10:28 pm
Amen andrew412

Amen andrew412

soldout
soldout 12/18/10 - 10:49 pm
The wages of sin are still

The wages of sin are still death no matter how many laws man might change to fit the times. The test of time will prove this to be a very bad move. God doesn't put anything up to a vote and fighting God's view never ends well. Without a turn back to God this nation will not survive as a world leader. The Bible has stood the test of time but man's wisdom never has.

Hucklebuck
Hucklebuck 12/18/10 - 11:26 pm
If any legal tax paying

If any legal tax paying citizen wants to join the military let them. That's their rights as US citizens. I have no problem with homosexuals because its none of my business. I haven't always felt this way but who am I to tell anyone how to live their live as long as they are not bringing harm to others? These so called die hard christians are quick to attack homosexuals but my feeling on that is if it is wrong god will deal with them. I am not god and neither are you. If people just mind their own business this country would be alot better place. They are not going anywhere and while I can't understand how another man can't enjoy the pleasures of a woman, I respect his right to his live his life that way he/she wants to. Again its none I my business they are people just like you an I.

Emerydan
Emerydan 12/19/10 - 02:44 am
So SC Senator Lindsay Graham

So SC Senator Lindsay Graham voted to keep the policy that forces gay men and women serving in the US military in the closet. Well, now, that's interesting isn't it?

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/19/10 - 05:17 am
Unit cohesion and morale are

Unit cohesion and morale are headed south, fast.
I want the military (in which I served) to protect me, my family and my country, and NOT to be used as a lab for social experimentation. A sad day.

southern2
southern2 12/19/10 - 06:09 am
Bill Clinton is to blame for

Bill Clinton is to blame for this one. His actions and policies inflicted a cancer in America that we will never overcome. Obama is just completing the mission...gays, socialized medicine, weak military, illegals, soft on terrorists, etc. Gay enlistment should skyrocket just for the smorgasbord at shower time alone.

southern2
southern2 12/19/10 - 06:13 am
soldout....Amen and well

soldout....Amen and well said.

Martinez
Martinez 12/19/10 - 06:35 am
I prefer my govenment not be

I prefer my govenment not be run by Halakha, Hindu, Sharia or Canon law. In a country that is comprised of people of all religions, ethnic backgrounds etc. I firmly believe our laws should reflect basic human rights, not those of any particular religion. Most arguements against the repeal on DADT are based in religion, the rest based in homophobic fears. This country has a rich history of discriminating against and mistreating groups whose hard work has helped paved the future, whether Native American Indians, African American Slaves, etc. Gays and lesbians are tax payers, home owners, parents, business owners, politicians and yes military members so asking them to do so in silence is no less oppressive then asking women to wear burqas. And to judge them for one aspect of their lives, whether you believe it is genetic or chosen, is above the paygrade of anyone here including our law makers.

justus4
justus4 12/19/10 - 07:35 am
As someone with extensive

As someone with extensive military knowledge and a sound understanding of political winds, this move is long overdue. The President stayed the course and again, made history in ending DADT which was extremely flawed. This change will NOT, repeat NOT adversely affect military readiness but will be resisted in some units on active duty, but it will get done correctly. Again, a victory for this president, those in the gay community, and a victory for America... Keep Charging!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/19/10 - 07:45 am
"These so called die hard

"These so called die hard christians" I have a problem with these kinds of statements....you are either a Christian, or you are not. You can't be more of a die-hard Christian than someone else who is a so-so Christian.....

As for the gays in the military....they've been there all along and although our society has begun to be more accepting of open homosexuality, I see a huge heap of trouble coming our way where the military is concerned.

Personally I don't agree with homosexuality but each individual has to decide which path they are going to follow....God's path, or the path of the world. It's a personal decision that each one has to make but I will agree with soldout, this world is increasing getting worse and it's nothing but prophesy being fulfilled. Christians understand that the end of time is drawing near and all this is explained in the Bible, but we don't have to sit back and like it. Just continue to pray my brothers and sisters in Christ.

nofrills
nofrills 12/19/10 - 08:00 am
I really have a problm with

I really have a problm with this. If your allowed to serve gay then dont I have the same right to serve straight. All openly gay service men should be housed together and trained together. I should be shown the same respect. Our service men that I have spoke to have all convinced me this is not a good idea. Most are looking for a way out of the military with this new ruling. Its a sad day for America and what it was fought to be.

Fish Out of Water
Fish Out of Water 12/19/10 - 08:03 am
If they only had

If they only had messageboards during integration of our public schools in the south... It probably wouldn't have looked much different than this one (a few supporters, but a vast majority in opposition, many of which tossing out random bible quotes that support their position).

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/19/10 - 08:27 am
Long overdue. I look forward

Long overdue. I look forward to the barracks have better designed interiors and properly coordinated colors.

Just kidding, I think this will zero affect on anything other than we will no longer be discharging some of our brightest and most needed intelligence folks because they like the same sex.

File this under the "Much Ado about Nada" and move on to important issues please.

Brad

geminibuddha
geminibuddha 12/19/10 - 08:34 am
Once again...I served in the

Once again...I served in the United States Navy as a submariner on a fast attack submarine. I was classified as a nuclear power plant operator. I worked long hours and supported my crew members. To this day I stop just about ALL service members in uniform and shake their hands, and tell them how much I appreciate them. When you are in the military, sex only comes into play after your job is done. I am gay. My crewmembers knew I was gay at the time of my service. No one cared. As far as showers go: no one cared who saw whose naked butt. We were too busy either thinking about boat maintenance or deciding who had the smallest wee-wee. With every passing generation, people become more tolerant of things they do not understand. The people (especially in the south) who rant and rave so hard about these things will be gone one day. For those of you who like to talk about sin and damnation, I would like to know if you have ever told a lie. Lying is a sin. You claim homosexuality is a sin according to the bible. Well, from what I remember, the same one who wrote thou shalt not take it in the keester also wrote thou shalt not lie. Sin is sin in "God's" eyes. So instead of just picking on the gays who PROTECT you, why don't you go picket some well known liars house...not just the homo parade. So go get on your knees and I'll get on mine. In the south it appears to me that there are two very prevalent types of businesses around here: churches and liquor stores...go figure. Most "church" folk who post this venom are total hypocrits anyway. Bottom line...kepp your judgements and opinions to yourself and start doing your real work that is part of the "great commision"...feed the hungry, clothe the poor, and visit the sick in the hospitals. If your "god" is listening....most of you christians have far more to worry about than your self-righteous minds can imagine.

Martinez
Martinez 12/19/10 - 08:31 am
Sad day for America and what

Sad day for America and what it was fought to be - Really? Sad because a group of humans was given the civil right to serve and protect their country without discrimination? Sad because ignorant fears aren't being supported by law? Housed seperately, really, why? Do you think gay = lack of discipline or ability to respect others and follow rules? Straight men have objectified women based purely on physical attributes for centuries. So the fear of a straight man, that a gay man might objectify him if housed together, is a little funny but more so a huge stretch from reality. It implies that gays shop locker rooms for the person with the most appealing genitals. If you took the time to know a few, you would know how rediculous not to mention grossly superficial this whole arguement is.

soldout
soldout 12/19/10 - 08:35 am
It is sad in reading the

It is sad in reading the comments to see the progress satan has made in the minds of people but as long as there is life there is hope for change. Fellow Christians, if everything was Christ's business and you are a follower of Christ then everything is your business. Don't be fooled by those statements about things being none of your business. Let the Holy Spirit lead and if you need to be quiet He will tell you. To live with no regrets means always speaking out against sin and loving the sinner. If the sinner is already heading to hell you can't hurt them and you will help a lot. When sin makes their life fall apart they will remember those who didn't compromise the truth and they will trun to you for answers and hope as the world will have none to give them. Keep up the good fight and your life will be full of joy and peace while the world and it's ways tend to fall apart around you.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/19/10 - 08:43 am
Martinez's comments from

Martinez's comments from Sunday, Dec. 19 6:35 AM

100% the absolute right way to look at this and the correct stance for America to take in the name of our mutual freedoms being respected and assured.

High Five on that one and thanks for being so openmined and articulate in your reply.

Brad

geminibuddha
geminibuddha 12/19/10 - 08:43 am
Soldout....I'm a Buddhist and

Soldout....I'm a Buddhist and I already have peace, happiness, and a very blessed life. Satan is a comic created by the early churches to control people into thinking they had to go to church, repent, and PAY THEIR TITHES. What do you think all of these strip mall churches :"worship centers" are about? MONEY. Satan doesn't exist. God does. But unfortunately most of the people who spew such poisonous crap on these comments...are deluded. So all of you who live "InChristLove" go right ahead and worship that sea parting, bread from heaven raining, water to vine making, risen from the dead zombie of a Christ. I think I'll stay away from the coo-coo club!

freeradical
freeradical 12/19/10 - 08:51 am
Point of clarification for

Point of clarification for the obviously uninformed.

Service in the United States Military is not a "right".

"civil" or otherwise.

People are rejected from service everyday for a multitude of reasons.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/19/10 - 08:53 am
If only the majority could

If only the majority could look "down the road" and foretell the catastrophe this administration is bringing upon this Once great nation.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/19/10 - 08:55 am
soldout, Where in the Bible

soldout,

Where in the Bible does it even discuss homosexuality as being a sin or unacceptable to God? Please DON'T show me some non-sense fantasy story about Angels and gay sex, that also has someone turning into a pillar of salt, because that is tired, fantasy, and actually WRONG based on original translations.

Do you even know the root for your Christian faith? Cause it ain't what you think Oh Ye of Great Faith.

What is the difference between your views and the Taliban?

Keep your Bible out of other folks' bedroom and sex lives.

Wann see the "see the progress satan has made in the minds of people ?" Look no further than those who would hate in the name of God, look no further than those who would deny fellow humans thier basic rights because of thier sexuality. Look no further than your comments above.

Satan, as they say, is in the details. But why look beyond the King James Version (key word here 'version') to know what your eternal fate can be right? I mean who are YOU to question the brainwashing you have been spoonfed since you were saved?

Brad

soldout
soldout 12/19/10 - 08:56 am
With time all truth will be

With time all truth will be revealed. That is also a great prayer to pray in any situation because God doesn't have to over-ride someone's will to answer it. We now read daily the results of taking God, prayer and Bible reading out of the schools. Down the road you will read the failure in promoting sin and calling it good. Time will prove the Bible right once again as it always has. A depression, a world war and a revival might improve things but America as a nation could be running out of opportunities. God judges a nation based on what His people are doing; not what the sinners are doing. Christians need to stand up, speak out and love the devil out of a few folks. Remember the creator of the universe is on your side. Also remember those with a weak position will always have the most anger.