Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

RANT TO THE AUGUSTA MALL security officers. Where in the world are you? I have been to the mall several times over the past few months (both before and after the holiday season) and am lucky if I see even one. You need to step up the pace as you did in previous years or Augusta Mall will be dead just like Regency. I used to love the mall; now I am not so sure. Get some leadership and officers that work, please.

HEADLINE: "DEAL WILL cut from budget." Don't believe it till you see it.

THE WEALTHY IN THIS country are still Americans. They deserve to have the same tax rate as every other American. They should not be punished for their success. And I'm poor and I think that they should be treated exactly the same as every other American.

A RANT TO THE PERSON who commented about the Christmas music on WBBQ. It's simple. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

ON A RECENT STAY at Eisenhower Army Medical Center I was privileged to be on Floor Nine East. The nurses, surgical team and everyone that I came in contact with treated me with respect and compassion. A special thank you to the staff at this outstanding hospital.

HOW WAS IT POSSIBLE for Commissioner Corey Johnson to pay his 2009 taxes on Feb. 23, 2010, without paying a 10 percent penalty or interest? Whoever allowed this to happen should be fired immediately. Shame on you, Corey Johnson, for depriving the city of Augusta of that money. Pay up like the rest of us.

A RANT TO THE FOLKS who accuse the Republicans of only wanting to give tax breaks to the rich. Here is a clue: If you don't pay taxes, like the lower 50 percent of income earners, you can't get a tax break!

A "SUPER WEALTHY" person already pays more in taxes than a person in the median income bracket receives as a salary! This administration only wants to look magnanimous. The true goal is to eliminate capitalism.

I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE all of the idiotic, aggressive people that are out there Christmas shopping. The true meaning of Christmas has been taken away by commercialism.

THIS IS TO THE RANTER who was complaining about Grovetown's water bill. ... When city hall got broke into and the safe got missing with everybody's water bill payment and everything in it. Nothing was never done and nobody was never prosecuted. So don't you think now that while they're out there checking the water they can rip you off there, too? This is a big rant to Grovetown. Get real. Get honest.

Tell us what you think
Martinez
Martinez 12/13/10 - 07:29 am
Everyone needs to conserve,

Everyone needs to conserve, especially those in the public sector spending other people's money. Consider yourself lucky or blessed or however you wish to view it that Midland Valley High School is even allowed to have Christmas lights. There are many more diverse parts of this country where doing so would be considered religous bias and thus not allowed.

Martinez
Martinez 12/13/10 - 07:34 am
#4 - Glad you feel that way.

#4 - Glad you feel that way. IMO one alternative could be to stop tax credits. Stop paying people "refunds" for more then they contributed to begin with. Make EIC,CTC and all others true non-refundable deductions to reduce liabilities, not credit them (for the govt). If a poor person pays $ 300 in taxes for the year, $ 300 should be the maximum refund allowed. I would love to see a study on how many billions could be saved per year with this change.

cristinadh
cristinadh 12/13/10 - 07:49 am
I wish the Richmond County

I wish the Richmond County Board of Education would turn the heat up... it's too cold in the classroom and the students can't concentrate because of the cold!!!..

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 12/13/10 - 08:28 am
The only fair tax is a VAT

The only fair tax is a VAT (consumption) tax. You pay nothing on your earnings nor investment interest, you pay when you spend it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/13/10 - 08:44 am
The rich & taxes....let's be

The rich & taxes....let's be fair..
Give every child the right to a great education....college....after that you are on your own.....get it if you want it or not----we can't handhold every goofoff for a lifetime. If you want to remain poor & stupid DO IT just don't fuss & begg from the others....hey, wait a minute, aren't we doing that already??
Good am CSRA!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/13/10 - 08:46 am
Step up the security at the

Step up the security at the Augusta Mall....daughters are saying the same thing... security lacking....Don't make us go elsewhere to shop.

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/13/10 - 08:52 am
A VAT tax is a little

A VAT tax is a little different than a consumption tax. VAT, or value added taxes, only effects manufactured products. It has no bearing on services like a consuption tax. The Europeans use the VAT and its not working too well over there.

Here's an example: I pay ten bucks for an iron bar. With that bar, I manufacture a wrench that I sell for $100. I pay taxes on $90, or the value I add to the iron bar. So, in essence, only those who add value to the economy are made to pay. Not very conducive to innovation. This is why most Volkswagens are made in Mexico, and BMWs in South Carolina.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/13/10 - 08:59 am
Now the Swedes are "shocked"

Now the Swedes are "shocked" that a terror bomb went off in a crowded shopping center...why ? This is the new norm in soo many countries....why do the Swedes think they are exempt??
Terror groups will be with us for awhile. :(

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/13/10 - 09:05 am

Get an education & then go blow yourself up....how can any parent be proud of this.....madness....& we aren't suppose to profile!

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/13/10 - 09:19 am
Good freaking freezing

Good freaking freezing morning !.....Well these words are bought and paid for...so I guesss I'll be speaking out a lot more..(LOL)...hit my hundred page mark so I pay....going to have a root canal done this morning....what else could make this day wonderful??...Perhaps a notice from the bank that they have misplaced some important documents of mine???

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/13/10 - 10:09 am
LOL betty....Guess I'll be

LOL betty....Guess I'll be sending in my $$$ to Ac...gotta keep Sean & others in the jobs..
This Madoff name will be mud for these folks....too bad all will suffer for along time.

strib1
strib1 12/13/10 - 10:14 am
take from th rich and give to

take from th rich and give to the poor wont work and never will./ i wish everybody was rich but its not ment to be i dont think. our congres and president have losst their mind .

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 12/13/10 - 12:57 pm
Republicans are living in the

Republicans are living in the halls of Hogwarts. They are big fan of Harry Potter tales but this is not a magical world and people livelihood are affected by their filibuster, extending federal unemployment insurance to give tax break for the rich.Can the Republicans,in Congress, vote yes on any legislation liked they did when warmonger Bush was president?

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 12/13/10 - 01:53 pm
"THIS IS A RANT for Midland

"THIS IS A RANT for Midland Valley High School, where the teachers have been instructed not to turn on the lights on Christmas decorations in an effort to reduce energy costs."

They're not supposed to have Christmas decorations anyways seeing as they're a government institution.....(Would you really want the Islamic star and crescent pushed in your child's face every day?)

Labatt
Labatt 12/13/10 - 01:55 pm
"I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE all of

"I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE all of the idiotic, aggressive people that are out there Christmas shopping. The true meaning of Christmas has been taken away by commercialism"

Another fool thinking christmas has anything to do with Christ.

dani
dani 12/13/10 - 05:34 pm
APPLE VALLEY, Calif. (AP) —

APPLE VALLEY, Calif. (AP) — Fears that whirling wind turbines could slaughter protected golden eagles have halted progress on a key piece of the federal government's push to increase renewable energy on public lands, stalling plans for billions of dollars in wind farm developments.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management suspended issuing wind permits on public land indefinitely this summer after wildlife officials invoked a decades-old law for protecting eagles, according to interviews and documents obtained by The Associated Press...

And another one bites the dust. Now where is that natural gas man that we saw so much of?

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 12/13/10 - 05:56 pm
Here I is.

Here I is.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/13/10 - 07:42 pm
Somebody tell me about this

Somebody tell me about this 100 page and then have to pay thing. I haven't heard about it. Got a link?

dani
dani 12/13/10 - 09:12 pm
Dont' worry, ot. They will

Dont' worry, ot. They will find YOU. I have already signed up for mine. It is worth $2.95 a month to me.

happychimer
happychimer 12/13/10 - 11:45 pm
I will probably pay the

I will probably pay the $6.95. I enjoy reading the paper online, so I will try it for a few months and see how it goes.

catfish369
catfish369 12/15/10 - 09:48 am
As for the Security at the

As for the Security at the Augusta Mall... With over 13 years in the Security field, in a working, Supervisory, and Managerial capacity... I didn't even receive a call back when I applied for a position there. I'm guessing that after a major Segway purchase it just isn't in their budget to hire actual people for the job.

'Do not swim' order remains in effect for Savannah River

A "do not swim" order for the Savannah River will reamin in effect while officials await lab results of an oily substance found in its waters Sunday.