Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers.

I'm happy for the Graham family now having a beautiful new home. My concern is that they may not be able to financially maintain the property. Surely the taxes alone will be substantially higher. What a shame if they should lose their home because of costs.

This is a rant for all the politicians in D.C. They should all be arrested for illegal gang activity. They fight over power and the innocent tax payers suffer. They never do anything unless it is a big pat on the back for their own gang. One gang is GOP ... the other is the Dems.

It's disgusting that the $250 payments for Social Security recipients is not going to be passed. My one medicine is $425.98, and I have a health plan but they will not pay for that particular drug, which comes from North Carolina, not Turkey. It's just disgusting.

Taxes. Take the word "the." Now take the word "IRS." Put them together. It spells "theirs."

I would like to do a huge rave to the Grace United Methodist Church of North Augusta for the wonderful Christmas program they put on, Return to Bethelehem, this past weekend. It was wonderful, with very authentic-type costumes, settings, very historic and a wonderful, wonderful presentation.

Rants to restaurants: It sure would be nice if several restaurants would set aside the hours of 4 p.m. until closing every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening for adults to enjoy a quiet meal without having to listen to a child or children screaming, crying and running everywhere while parents act like they're not even there. There are lots of restaurants for children, there are restaurants where children eat free in a specified time frame. Surely even parents would love to go out on a dinner date and not hear other children having a tantrum.

I wish people would stop staring and turning up their noses at my children, because I'm black and their mom is white. It upsets them.

Why is it that the drivers in Waynesboro will not obey the speed zone at the high school? 65 miles per hour between school hours is just wrong. Where are the local police while this is going on?

A big rant to Tax Commissioner Steven Kendrick! Have you found that missing $25,000 from the safe yet?

Columnist Walter Williams asks, "Is Congress immoral?" In a word - YES!

Tell us what you think
paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 12/10/10 - 06:59 am
I am shocked to hear in this

I am shocked to hear in this day in age people are looking down on children of a "bi-racial" background. This is disgusting to me.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/10/10 - 08:49 am
Now that you are charging to

Now that you are charging to use the AC website, could you return Milton Rubens money and get rid of his annoying ads?

nadps53jrt
nadps53jrt 12/10/10 - 09:02 am
WORDS OF WISDOM Gov Mike

WORDS OF WISDOM

Gov Mike Huckabee said...
"If we want to keep our nation's secrets 'SECRET' store them where
Obama stores his college transcripts and birth certificate."

strib1
strib1 12/10/10 - 09:25 am
until we get rid of bho and

until we get rid of bho and his flunkies things will get no better , i think! somebody has to step up!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/10 - 09:46 am
I do like to have a nice meal

I do like to have a nice meal in peace ...some parents show very little control over their kids.......just ask to be seated in another area....I do.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/10 - 09:50 am

Take you waay back to the 60s.......getting old.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 12/10/10 - 10:48 am
So it seems, based on the

So it seems, based on the number of posts at the Rants and Raves, that between the new meter system and the increased scrutiny on the content of posts that the Augusta Chronicle has figured out the ideal way to discourage visits to its webpage

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 12/10/10 - 10:50 am
So is the online-subscription

So is the online-subscription version of the Augusta Chronicle free from advertisements?

ponyluvsu
ponyluvsu 12/10/10 - 10:52 am
The mortgage company for the

StartingOver
StartingOver 12/10/10 - 11:22 am
My white daughter didn't

My white daughter didn't believe Augusta had racial tensions until she brought her Dominican husband to Augusta. Even people who were kind to her in the past suddenly treated her poorly. Worst racial tension of any place we've ever lived. Sad.

happychimer
happychimer 12/10/10 - 11:54 am
StartingOver those people who

StartingOver those people who changed their attitude with your daughter were not good people to begin with. They are a "put on", and not worth her time.

Cadence
Cadence 12/10/10 - 12:05 pm
I don't think most people

I don't think most people care about you and your wife's skin color. If your kids are polite, well behaved, well brought up, people may be staring in shock. I am so tired of paying for a good meal and having kids running, screaming, jumping up and down in the booths, and the parents on their cell phones or otherwise oblivious. Then the other day a little child running in circles fell hard and the mom got hysterical and said she would sue the restaurant. So don't worry; be a good parent, love your wife, it's all good.

poolmom
poolmom 12/10/10 - 01:54 pm
People should quit being so

People should quit being so negative about the Graham family. I think Ms. Graham is a smart lady and will be able to maintain this blessing she has received.

happychimer
happychimer 12/10/10 - 01:55 pm
poolmom I agree.

poolmom I agree.

NrthAugustaSam
NrthAugustaSam 12/10/10 - 02:10 pm
Stop trying to rip off the

Stop trying to rip off the public with paying for this site. Greed will kill your business

wonderdog
wonderdog 12/10/10 - 02:30 pm
Well, let's see. If you

Well, let's see. If you didn't want to pay for a newpaper you have been able to get the same thing here for free. Why would AC want to give away their product? Go to Applebees and ask them to give you a free meal and see what they say. If you don't want to pay for the web site then don't visit it and then you won't have to pay. Stop crying.

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/10/10 - 03:08 pm
I agree with the rants about

I agree with the rants about ill-behaved children in restaurants. My spouse and I eat out a great deal. Many times, children are permitted to stand and jump in a neighboring booth, stand in chairs and scream, or just play chase and run around. My suggestion is to get a babysitter or, better yet, actually teach your kids how to act in public. I know I taught my former students manners while we were in the lunchroom at school. When I saw them also eating in public, they made me very proud. If my whole class could do that, why can't a mom or dad so that with one or two children in their care? Until then, I may continue to ask to be seated away from unruly children. Note to other parents; your children exhibiting poor behavior are NOT cute!

Dudeness
Dudeness 12/10/10 - 03:33 pm
Who is going to control the

Who is going to control the loud adults during the adults-only time? It is rare to find a restaurant where it is quiet on a Friday or Saturday night and, though I agree about the loudness of the shorter noisemakers, it's not the kids making all the noise. Just last night we had to hear some women laughing repeatedly loud enough for the entire restaurant to hear during our entire visit. Some people never did learn to use their indoor voice growing up.

hiaht74
hiaht74 12/10/10 - 03:37 pm
We go out to dinner often

We go out to dinner often too, and while my older children behave well, I can't say that my two-year old always does. Um, maybe because he's TWO? It's a process to teach children how to behave in public; what and what is not acceptable. It does NOT happen over night. Yes, he may bounce in the booth, be overly chatty and want to get out of his seat....most people are understanding and realize that very young children aren't always perfect. I apologize, but I'm not going to always leave him with someone else just so a few people in a restaurant believe that when they go out their dinner should include absolute peace and quiet. If that's the atmosphere you are looking for, I would suggest a nice dinner for two at chez toi. :) Oh, and by the way, while dining out, spending MY hard-earned money, I've witnessed plenty of adults misbehaving....being loud, obnoxious and cursing. What should we do with them???

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 12/10/10 - 04:03 pm
Lame duck session

Lame duck session continual,past election Nov 2, voters were tricked to believe that the Republicans will stop filbuster important legislation,$250 payments for social security recipients, for middle class people,the worst is yet to come when Republicans take control of the House in January.I commend the President Obama and Democrats who been trying to help working class people since 2008.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 12/10/10 - 04:20 pm
#6, stop dining at Chuckee

#6, stop dining at Chuckee Cheese. Try Calvert's.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 12/10/10 - 04:36 pm
gnumbgnuts I agree, certain

gnumbgnuts I agree, certain restaurants are more geared towards family dining and some are more adults-only. Maybe it would be worth the extra money to these folks to try a place without a kids menu.

mable8
mable8 12/10/10 - 06:00 pm
ponyluvsu: "The mortgage

ponyluvsu: "The mortgage company for the Graham family is apparently paying it off, so they should really be able to save enough money to pay the taxes and upkeep on the house." Please let the rest of us know who the mortgage holder is so we can make an application for them pay our mortgage's off! Even Habitat for Humanity has the new family sign contracts where the individual will pay for the mortgage and not the financing company!!!

mable8
mable8 12/10/10 - 06:05 pm
I have to agree that unruly

I have to agree that unruly children should be barred from the restaurants so adults can have a peaceful meal. When the child(ren) begin tossing their tantrums, the family should leave the premises. The other not-so-nice kiddie agenda is when a nursing mother has no discretion when she decides to bare her chest in order to feed the infant. I think nursing mothers are fine, but some are lacking in social ettiquette and are disgusting. Even in frontier times, women were discreet in nursing their babes.

mable8
mable8 12/10/10 - 06:13 pm
hiaht74: "Oh, and by the way,

hiaht74: "Oh, and by the way, while dining out, spending MY hard-earned money, I've witnessed plenty of adults misbehaving....being loud, obnoxious and cursing. What should we do with them???" In good restaurants, the manager usually comes out and requests that the offending adults leave the premises. Which is something the parent(s) of obnoxious, loud child(ren) should voluntarily do in the first place. When our children were small, we did not tolerate such behavior; if they misbehaved, a visit to the ladies (or men's) room sufficed in admonishing the child that certain behaviors were unacceptable. A second infraction led us to request the take out plates; while one parent stayed to pack the meal into the plates, the other parent escorted the children to the car.

TeamLoser
TeamLoser 12/10/10 - 06:10 pm
I dont care for the screaming

I dont care for the screaming children at restaurants either, keep them quite or at home. People do not mind their children and when I make a comment then I'm a bad guy.
Would you be upset of there was a several drunk rowdy people where you ate, or how would you feel if me and my friends came in and yelled internet memes and laughed like madmen. Same kind of disruption.

dougk
dougk 12/10/10 - 07:32 pm
If you have children running

If you have children running around screaming and unattended while you expected a quiet intimate meal, you are going to the wrong places. I hate to say it, but even in some of the upscale chains in Augusta you won't find that....but you won't have that good of food either. Spend more, enjoy more.

hiaht74
hiaht74 12/10/10 - 10:17 pm
Mable: I can agree.... if a

Mable: I can agree.... if a child is having a full on tantrum, it's probably a good choice to take them home & yes, we have done that plenty of times. BUT, if a kid is just being a kid, you really need to lighten up. Like a few others have mentioned, if you (or anyone annoyed by kids) expect a NICE, QUIET, PEACEFUL meal, you should really look at dining at a more upscale place. Most of the main chains are going to have tons of kids EVERY night of the week.

dani
dani 12/10/10 - 11:36 pm
If the Graham family should

If the Graham family should happen to run into financial problems after this, will they be allowed to mortgage the home?

sarahs mom
sarahs mom 12/11/10 - 12:13 am
parents no longer cafre about

parents no longer cafre about bad behavior, a teeneger kicked a toy punching bag and hit my momwith the flying toy. when I approched the mom her response was he will just stay with me then. really? no I am sorry? no cpnsequences. thats why our schools are so bad no discipline at home. as for the commnet on racial tensions, Augusta is not that bad, move up north, or even out west. i lived in Idaho and california the racial tensions are much more prevelant in the northern cities than a the south. TV just makes the south look bad when in fact thats not the case at all.

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.