Man in dog case released

Claims he acted to protect family, public

A Jefferson County man charged in the dumping of 19 dead dogs along a rural road is out of jail because a "concerned citizen" signed his $39,000 bond.

Charles Frank Strother: Man was told he could put down dangerous dogs.
Charles Frank Strother: Man was told he could put down dangerous dogs.

Charles Frank Strother, 52, of Wadley, Ga., was released from the Burke County Jail late Thursday afternoon, where he had been since his arrest Monday on 19 counts of illegal dumping charges -- one for each carcass found by a county work crew Nov. 29 along Old Wadley Road.

Strother apologized for dumping the dogs in Burke County, but said he didn't know what county he was in at the time.

"I deeply apologize to the citizens of Burke County," he said. "At the time, I was distraught about putting my dogs down. I loved those dogs. It wasn't no spiteful move to the citizens of Burke County."

An attorney has also volunteered to represent Strother pro bono when his case comes up in court. And he has received support from his church family, his co-workers at the Huddle House in Louisville, Ga. -- where he is a chef -- and the local business community, he said.

"I feed and wait on a lot of people in Jefferson County," he said. "A lot of important people."

Strother said after the dogs in the pen had killed some of the others and their puppies, he tried to enter, but they growled and acted as though they would attack him, too. So he called the Wadley Police Department and asked officers to come put the dogs down. He was advised that Chief Wesley Lewis said they could not do that, but that he could do it himself. They also warned him not to go in the pen, he said.

"In his own words, if they were a threat to my family, to me, the community or the other animals, I could do what I had to do," Strother said. "They had already had a taste for blood. When that ran out, they might attack somebody. They might dig out and attack some of the children going to school. If they attacked somebody, I would really be in some trouble."

So he killed the dogs because he had to protect his family and the community, he said.

When asked why he dumped the dogs along a public road, Strother said he wasn't even thinking at the time.

"I wanted to get them off my property," he said. "I loaded them on my truck and drove, crying all the time. I turned off on a dirt road. I regret it happened, but it wasn't no harmful intentions."

Strother thanked the Burke County Sheriff's Office personnel for their treatment and concern for him while he was in jail.

"Even the sheriff said that was a ridiculous bond," he said. "And I thank the citizens in my corner. All those others that have negative thoughts and negative opinions, I leave them in God's hands."

Law enforcement officials have said that if Strother had buried the dogs, there would have been no problem.

Lewis said the GBI office in Thomson will investigate.

soldout
soldout 12/10/10 - 07:33 am
Common sense may have a

Common sense may have a victory here.

cubbie
cubbie 12/10/10 - 08:16 am
A police dept. and just plain

A police dept. and just plain good folks. Hoo-ray for them all. Should be more people like that. The man ment no harm .

dixiebelle30824
dixiebelle30824 12/10/10 - 08:22 am
One of those cases of damned

One of those cases of damned if you do...damned if you don't....

seabeau
seabeau 12/10/10 - 08:31 am
Millions of unwanted animals

Millions of unwanted animals are killed at animal shelters across the US every year. We need a long term solution. We need licensed animal breeders, spade or neuter(which ever is cheaper) either of the sexes,then place chips in the fixed animals. Allow NO other animal breeding. All other animals owned by the public would inside a certain time frame would have to be fixed or destoryed.

CABoatright
CABoatright 12/10/10 - 08:40 am
I'm with you Nofrills, he got

I'm with you Nofrills, he got caught. I believe you're being quite fair to this waste of breath...one year for each dog will do.

Jackson
Jackson 12/10/10 - 08:57 am
That is one HUGE mugshot!

That is one HUGE mugshot!

bdouglas
bdouglas 12/10/10 - 09:28 am
@Seabeau: "spade" or

@Seabeau: "spade" or neuter...whichever is cheaper? Really? It's not a case of which one is cheaper...it's a case of male or female. Males are neutered, females spayed.

As for the folks calling him a liar? When you're appointed judge in Burke county your opinion on his truthfulness or lack thereof will matter. Until then, you've got a police department backing up his story, with videotaped evidence of the dogs' behavior. Think it's time you close your lawbooks...

sueboo418
sueboo418 12/10/10 - 09:54 am
Well bdouglas what about the

Well bdouglas what about the little baby pups??? And the pregnant mom that was cut open? Was that true or false?? The sheriff needs to be locked up with this guy. There are OTHER ways to have handled this situation than the cruel manner that it was. I know we have good cops but then there are those that think they are God and this sheriff is probably one of those good ole boys that thinks he is!! This is a small town so we can just sweep this under the rug. Yeah ok! I hope the animal activists get involved on this one!!

Buzz Saw
Buzz Saw 12/10/10 - 10:04 am
Would you want this clown

Would you want this clown cooking your food at the Huddle House? What a fine concerned citizen this one is?

tay120487
tay120487 12/10/10 - 10:14 am
I remember them saying in the

I remember them saying in the very first story that one or a few puppies were cut out of one of the dogs stomachs. If its like the man says it is then why did he have to do all of that?

Cadence
Cadence 12/10/10 - 10:31 am
His wife said that happened

His wife said that happened when a big dog attacked the pregnant female. This sounds like an awful situation that got completely unmanageable, and In spite of the terrible outcome, I am able to feel sorry for the man. If he loved the dogs it must have been a nightmare to have to kill them all. There are low cost spay/neuter clinics. People need to use them and donate to them and things like this will be less likely to happen. I do put my money where my mouth is.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/10/10 - 11:00 am
This is just a guess, but

This is just a guess, but possibly the man was trying to save the puppies by removing them from the dead mother dog after the other dogs killed her? Maybe he wasn't able to and disposed of the dead puppies along with the adult dogs.

StartingOver
StartingOver 12/10/10 - 11:17 am
Huddle House has "chefs"?

Huddle House has "chefs"? Really???

Make A Difference
Make A Difference 12/10/10 - 11:45 am
This issue is far bigger than

This issue is far bigger than this one man and these 19 dogs and puppies. If this story touched you then please do something to help improve the situation. Everything counts- don’t feel there is no point trying if you can only do something small. Ask for better investigation and prosecution of animal abuse cases (see links below), report cases to anonymous tip-lines, open your home to foster an abandoned animal, or donate to a rescue organization if you are blessed enough to have a few extra dollars or hours. A lot of organizations will even accept donations of pet food or old blankets. There are plenty of groups that need your help. A search for “dog rescue Burke County Georgia” brings up the Old Fella Rescue. I guarantee they would be grateful for any donation you can afford, even $5. This is, or course, just one group and there are plenty of others in the area (or outside of the area, if you live farther away). Please don’t let your enthusiasm fizzle out or think someone else will fix the problem of pet overpopulation and animal abuse. Ignoring a problem never makes it go away.

soldout
soldout 12/10/10 - 11:44 am
Some folks worship the

Some folks worship the Creator and some worship the creation.

blakkone
blakkone 12/10/10 - 11:55 am
Heres a scenario...what if

Heres a scenario...what if the vicious dogs had gotten out and attacked and mauled an innocent child walking to/from school? Now the man would have been in legal trouble for sure!

everyone can have their opinion on how he should have handled the situation. But think like this, maybe he didnt know all his options available to him.

Maybe the majority of commenters are more intelligent than he is. When someone is under pressure to make a decision in the heat of the moment, it may not be the best decision as opposed to having time to think things through.

blakkone
blakkone 12/10/10 - 12:04 pm
SOLDOUT...can you expand on

SOLDOUT...can you expand on your 10:44 AM comment...it interests me...

sueboo418
sueboo418 12/10/10 - 12:31 pm
soldout I worship both the

soldout I worship both the Creator AND His creations. :)

kmb413
kmb413 12/10/10 - 12:38 pm
Startingover. Yes, they are

Startingover. Yes, they are called chefs, and they are underpaid and underappreciated. I know from experiencing this as a past manager of a similiar establishment.

Nofrills, what magic power do you have to tell that he is lying?

One of the previous articles stated that the dogs had eaten the puppies. Are people going to believe the original article? Many stories are printed before all the facts are found.

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 12/10/10 - 12:46 pm
It Clearly says that the

It Clearly says that the Aggressive "bigger" dogs were seen attacking and killing the female and puppies. The wife reported that they were eating the dead puppies...So that would explain the "gutted" appearance of the pups and females....
I was very critical of the situation when the story was still a mystery...but it looks like this guy had an unmanageable situation.
If I had a few male dogs literally ripping up (and eating) other dogs, and they wouldn't let me into the pen, (snarling, snapping and being vicious) I wouldn't take a chance on them attacking a human. Sorry.
It sounds like he shot the surviving, vicious dogs from outside of the pen (probably traumatizing him) and then had to go in and collect them.
In my opinion, he followed what the authorities said to do. Albeit, the dumping wasn't following the letter of the law...but I would be freaked out too if I was faced with such a horrible task.

soldout
soldout 12/10/10 - 12:51 pm
Sueboo there are people who

Sueboo there are people who put their animals before their children or their Creator. For example; they buy their pets the finest food and carry their kids through the drivethrough most of the time. The kids are sick and overweigh and the pet is trim, exercised, and mentally sharp because of the care it gets that the children do not. Some of these same folks tend to have trouble with people relationships and do better with pet relationships. Just an observation. The Bible says for us to care for our animals but not worship them or put them higher than people or God.

iLove
iLove 12/10/10 - 01:42 pm
These same folks that you

These same folks that you speak of actually let their dog SLEEP IN THE SAME BED AS THEM?!?! and they let the dogs lick them in the mouth! How disgusting! Dogs are NOT HUMANS. ANIMALS DO NOT HAVE SOULS. But hey, do what you do.

I understand what you are saying. . . . it's a sad situation. These same folks got their panties in a bunch when they heard that many dogs were killed. Yet, I PROMISE that these folks would have done the same thing, KNOWING ALL OF THE FACTS.

GOSHEN77
GOSHEN77 12/10/10 - 02:31 pm
Crom, I have never prayed to

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to Hulla with you!

LOL

sueboo418
sueboo418 12/10/10 - 03:00 pm
Bottom line here, if you

Bottom line here, if you can't take proper care of an animal, including leaving a female outside that has not been fixed being open prey to male dogs then don't have one. Yes, it costs money to have them fixed BUT if you can't afford that then you don't need to have the animal!

blakkone
blakkone 12/10/10 - 03:34 pm
Goshen...Im assuming there is

Goshen...Im assuming there is a joke buried in that comment, a movie quote perhaps; otherwise, I dont get ur comment...

follower 12/10/10 - 04:09 pm
Sueboo, how about this for an

Sueboo, how about this for an explanation.

Creation can't be/isn't equal to the Creator, so we worship the Creator, but are amazed at His creation. ;)

sueboo418
sueboo418 12/10/10 - 05:19 pm
Thats good follower, I kinda

Thats good follower, I kinda misworded what I was trying to say. :)

mable8
mable8 12/10/10 - 05:53 pm
There were options available,

There were options available, one of which was to remove the pregnant dog from the others before she gave birth to the puppies. It appears that there were too many animals in one pen anyway. He could have called the humane society and chose not to. After he shot the dogs, his property is large enough to have had them all buried there and not dumped along a roadway. If the male dogs had not been neutered before their behavior became unmanageable, there were signs of that as well. Since he has had animals around for apparently a long time, he failed to act when he should have. Sorry, but my sympathies are for the animals in this case--they should have had better care in the first place. At least 6 months probation is warrented in this case; community service could involve working at the local animal shelter (after all, the punishment should be in accordance to the crime committed).

albertoli
albertoli 12/10/10 - 08:55 pm
such insight and omniscience

such insight and omniscience in Augusta, Ga.

gateway2uheart
gateway2uheart 12/10/10 - 09:13 pm
to whom it may concern...im

to whom it may concern...im not one of thoses who support this man but and what and how he did it..but it seems that the staff writer on this topic got it WRONG..he doesnt have my support AT ALL im one of thoses employess at the huddle house and there are more...how dare you say hes got the support of hes as you say " co-woorkers" ..and he doesnt have the support of the people of luoisville.ga either....