Squatters could have caused motel blaze

  • Follow Metro

Augusta Super Inn was closed for business, but people still lived there.

Augusta Fire Department Lt. Neal Brown suspects one or more of them caused a blaze that damaged 30 of the motel's 120 rooms Saturday night.

Firefighters worked from about 11 p.m. until about 9:45 Sunday morning to put out the fire.

They haven't determined if it was intentionally set but do think someone at the motel caused the Saturday fire, Brown said.

Brown checked the damaged rooms Sunday morning to be sure no one was a casualty of the blaze.

The property at 1602 Gordon Highway could be in receivership and not have an insurance policy, he said.

Comments (2) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
RoadkiII 12/06/10 - 09:19 am
Ya think?

Ya think?

fontana 12/06/10 - 10:38 am
They build fires, usually

They build fires, usually from ripped out 2 x 4 wall studs, in the bathtubs to keep warm or BBQ. The tubs melt and catch fire, no water to put out. Longing for the days of steel tubs.

Back to Top
Search Augusta jobs
Top headlines
Crash kills Augusta man, 57
The coroner says an autopsy is planned, possibly Friday, into the death of an Augusta man killed Wednesday night in a single-car accident.