Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

SHOPPERS, BE NICE this holiday season. Don't park in handicap spots unless you are. And if you were, you'd have a tag, wouldn't you?

THIS IS A RAVE to Commissioner Joe Jackson, who said some county managers don't fit the mold. You hit it perfect. Some come in late with a big breakfast, go to their office and play on their computers. Can you imagine if every county employee stopped and ate breakfast? You have managers going home after lunch or before lunch. No one asks where they are. You have managers parking their personal vehicles at other county buildings and getting into their county vehicle and going to their office. This way they can leave and go home and no one notices if they're working or not. To me, this is stealing time and it's about time to put your foot down to these operation managers.

RANT TO OUR GOVERNMENT. Let's get this straight. We are going to be gifted with a health care plan that we are forced to purchase, and fined if we don't. It is intended to cover at least 10 million more people without adding a single new doctor, but provided for 16,000 new IRS agents. Obamacare was written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it, but exempts itself from it, and signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay taxes, for which we will be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that is broke. What did I miss?

YOUR HISTORY SECTION says that President Truman, on this day (6 Dec 1947) grabbed a big chunk of land owned by Florida and named it a "national" park. On the same day in 1960, Jimmy Carter grabbed "nearly 9 million acres" from Alaska. And, he called that a "national" park. Again, he stole a big chunk of somebody else's land. When will Obama steal his big chunk?

WHEN WILL I GET HIRED? I am an ex-felon and I've put in over 200 applications and been on 13 interviews. I think that because I am an ex-felon that I won't be hired. What happened to the employers who get federal tax help for hiring felons? Does this not exist or am I living in the wrong city? It's been over 10 years since my conviction.

RAVE: LAST FRIDAY we went to Cheddars to have lunch. We enjoyed the meal and waited for the check. The waitress came to the table with no check, told us it was taken care of and "have a blessed day." She couldn't tell us who did this random act of kindness. Thank you to whoever was so thoughtful.

IF THE DOWNTOWN parade is going to be considered a family-friendly event, then the organizers need to insist that the performers dress and dance in a family-friendly manner or they shouldn't participate.

Tell us what you think
omnomnom
omnomnom 12/07/10 - 03:00 am
hah, sounds like the last

hah, sounds like the last ranter didn't much care for the down n' dirrty laney and josey were showin off.

dani
dani 12/07/10 - 05:41 am
last ranter, Sadly, the

last ranter, Sadly, the organizers think the performers are dressing and dancing in a family-friendly manner ....

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/07/10 - 06:32 am
Ranter #3, you hit it right

Ranter #3, you hit it right on the head.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/07/10 - 06:35 am
Just because they get federal

Just because they get federal tax help for hiring a felon doesn't mean they want it. With the job market the way it is, I'm sure with all the people available for hire, a felon would be low low on an employer's Christmas list.

cubbie
cubbie 12/07/10 - 08:24 am
Why do parents love to see

Why do parents love to see their daughters do the dirty boogie ? Keep it at home and out of the parades. Disgusting to see it and worse to see the parents whoop and hollar and clap as they go by.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/10 - 08:43 am
Saturday morning I got up

Saturday morning I got up early, quietly dressed, made my lunch, and
slipped quietly into the garage. I hooked up the boat up to the van, and
proceeded to back out into a torrential downpour. The wind was blowing
50 mph, so I pulled back into the garage, turned on the radio, and
discovered that the weather would be bad all day.

I went back into the house, quietly undressed, and slipped back into
bed.. I cuddled up to my wife's back, now with a different anticipation,
and whispered, "The weather out there is terrible."
My loving wife of 5 years replied, "And, can you believe my stupid
husband is out fishing in that?"
And that's how the fight started...

Good am Augusta Ga.

myopinion3
myopinion3 12/07/10 - 09:04 am
My felon friend have you

My felon friend have you applied with Richmond County....lots of felons on the payroll there.

justfred
justfred 12/07/10 - 09:34 am
To ranter #5....I am amazed.

To ranter #5....I am amazed. I thought since there was a govt welfare program in place to assist employers with cheaper labor by simply taking a chance on hiring someone who has shown they have no respect for rules you would be guaranteed a job, perhaps much like affirmative action for crooks. I think your rights have been trampled on.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 12/07/10 - 09:36 am
It won't be long before I

It won't be long before I have to depart this free forum...I view and read the RnR's regularly and according to the new rules will likely be required to subscribe after I hit enough pages...so all ya'll that made it great, broke it's back and brought it back to this, we thank you...there is another place, but I can't advertise for them by plugging their site...as a fellow journalist I feel the pain of transition between the old and new ways to print media and report the 'news'....ka-sa-rah, sa-rah...whatever will be, will be. It's been a good short run and I wish the AC the best as I do for all print mediums...one good EMP and we'll all go back to reading pages made w paper....go figure. God bless you all and G'day.

JustMe
JustMe 12/07/10 - 09:48 am
Zeno, if we were all reading

Zeno, if we were all reading paper news I do not believe they would be charging for the internet newspapers. I stopped subscribing to the newspaper a long time ago and will gladly pay the internet fee. The newspapers subscriptions are down. We have been paying for local tv for years.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/10 - 10:00 am
They have just arrested the

They have just arrested the wikileaks guy......let's see what if anything they do with him....

Zeno ...don't go away---I'll pay for yours for a 6 months...you are worth it!! :O)

usafvet
usafvet 12/07/10 - 10:08 am
I don't think Zeno was asking

I don't think Zeno was asking anyone to play "follow the leader". Just Me, like Zeno, the decision is yours to make. I think Zeno did a superb joy of conveying his sentiment.
Ranter #3. Speaking of superb. That is a very good summation. It would be even funny if it were not so true. If dumbobama is yet dictating come 2012, I certainly hope he will be ousted and will return to his roots. For now, I wish to say thanks for all those that responded on this day in 1941 for protecting this great Country. GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, AND OUR VETERANS.

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/07/10 - 10:14 am
I quit going to the parade

I quit going to the parade YEARS ago. It has lost all of its class due to the inappropriate dancing. I had to cover my kids' eyes! I won't go again.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/10 - 10:26 am
I just scanned throught the

I just scanned throught the pictures on spotted of the Extreme Makeover. I'm glad for this family and I'm sure they are going to love their new home but it makes me wonder. This is a fine, huge, 2 story brick home and how awkward it's going to look in this neighborhood of one story wood or siding average homes. It's like painting a big red bulleye on it. Why not build a nice one story brick home that will at least blend in with the neighborhood? There are 3 maybe 4 people going to live here...the mother, son, the father, and maybe the daughter for a while (she's 19 and going to college. I would assume she would be moving out on her own in a few years). Just seems like a waste of money....when two nice homes could have been built for the price this one home will probably cost the volunteers.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 12/07/10 - 11:13 am
#1-Remember, being fat is not

#1-Remember, being fat is not handicapped.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 12/07/10 - 11:14 am
#3-You've missed nothing.

#3-You've missed nothing.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 12/07/10 - 11:17 am
#5-One more thing that should

#5-One more thing that should have been considered 10 years ago. I guess it's part of the punishment.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 12/07/10 - 11:19 am
Last one-What, no square

Last one-What, no square dancing?

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 12/07/10 - 12:01 pm
How did Carter in 1960 seize

How did Carter in 1960 seize 9 million acres in Alaska? I reckon he took Billy with him, along with some firewater, and conned the Eskimos out of it.

washedUP
washedUP 12/07/10 - 01:27 pm
My sentence was served along

My sentence was served along with probation. So should I still be punished? I was 19 then and I'll be 31 in March. Why should my wife and children be punished for something I did while I was in highschool? What if it were your children this were happening to, or your spouse? What if it was you?!! I knew I would get some stinging comments from my rant and that shows how our society is even when I went through proper and just rehabilitation. Thats why prison recidivism is at a high rate because felons aren't given a second. I'm pretty sure we have all gotten a second chance one way or another.

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/07/10 - 01:28 pm
Rant # 1: A HUGE AMEN!!!!

Rant # 1: A HUGE AMEN!!!! Cops NEVER enforce that law, NEVER!!!!!!

washedUP
washedUP 12/07/10 - 01:37 pm
to" justfred" if illegal

to" justfred" if illegal immagrants are willing to work below minimum wage why hire anybodyelse? . . .Especially when certain jobs were set aside, you know the places that NO ONE would ever think of, or want to work at, there gone to.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 12/07/10 - 03:16 pm
What did you do washedUP?

What did you do washedUP?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/10 - 03:42 pm
Armored car drivers were

Armored car drivers were robbed at the Mall of Ga. today around 1130am....shots were fired.....many shoppers around. Be careful.

washedUP
washedUP 12/07/10 - 05:15 pm
PWRSPD, I was charged with 2

PWRSPD, I was charged with 2 counts of felony entering an auto

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 12/07/10 - 05:19 pm
Employee theft is one of the

Employee theft is one of the leading causes of small business failure. Keep trying, you'll get a brake sooner or later.

washedUP
washedUP 12/07/10 - 05:40 pm
justfred, I know that bad

justfred, I know that bad choices have consequences. I know that and paid my debt for my crime. You trying to berate doesn't help my cause. I'm not crying about it, I posted a rant to seek advice and to get feedback. I also can accept that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. NO I'm not a sex offender. Alot of people look down on me for something I was punished for. . . can you look at yourself and honestly say that you were punished for everything that you did? and be ... and be honest.. you get where I'm going with this

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/07/10 - 09:04 pm
OK, how many clicks is this?

OK, how many clicks is this?

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 12/07/10 - 09:59 pm
I heard there was a place

I heard there was a place here in Augusta that hires people that have been in prison.Dont remember the name so I really can't help you on that.

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 12/07/10 - 10:01 pm
So,what if Obama does

So,what if Obama does smoke,half of America uses tobacco in some form or other.

Summer demands blood donations

Even as blood donations dry up during the summer months, Grovetown resident Donna Morrow finds the time to give a little bit of herself to the community she lives in.