History channel blocks Civil War ads

Georgia Sons of Confederate Veterans commander blasts network for hypocrisy

ATLANTA --- On Jan. 1, 150 years ago, Georgians went to the polls and picked delegates to a convention to support seceding from the Union. Now the debate over that vote continues in a controversy over a dozen television and radio ads.

The ads were produced and funded by the Georgia Sons of Confederate Veterans.

The organization asserts that in seceding Southern states were exercising a right that New England states had claimed since the country's founding and that Confederates fought to defend that right when Union forces "invaded" to prevent secession.

The History Channel has refused to broadcast the ads during its series on the war.

Jack Bridwell, the commander of the Georgia Division of the SCV blasted network executives for hypocrisy.

"We find it more than interesting that the History Channel has no problem airing shows with controversial theories about history, including more than one show which speculates that extraterrestrial aliens in UFO's somehow redirected human history, and yet the same channel does not see the value in allowing a nonprofit, educational organization to present the Southern view of the causes for the war," he said.

SCV spokesman Ray McBerry, a former GOP gubernatorial candidate, said the group is producing more ads and will air them around the state over the next four years.

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/05/10 - 12:29 am
Ray McBerry? Oooookay. Nuff

Ray McBerry? Oooookay. Nuff said.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 12/05/10 - 02:25 am
As I read the article it

As I read the article it basically says that the Souths version of what happened during the War of Northern Aggresion doesn't matter. Once again, it proves that the "victors" get to write the history books. I'm surprised that some "regular posters" haven't weighed in on this one. I guess U know why.

Jackson
Jackson 12/05/10 - 02:33 am
I like the History Channel

I like the History Channel but over the years of watching certain programs I have found some glaring errors in in their portrayal of certain events that have occured throughout time.
Just because it's called the HISTORY channel doesn't mean that what they air is the true history.
Let's face it, History is not an exact science and the History Channel should have a disclaimer before every broadcast saying as much.

Another thing. What does Pawn Stars, Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men and Gangland and several other series have to do with History?

Sandpiper
Sandpiper 12/05/10 - 04:52 am
Glaring errors and

Glaring errors and inconsistencies mark many of the "profiles" the history channel shows. The obvious left leaning agenda of the channel is a turn off for me when children are around. I enjoy the entertainment of the channel, but find the theories espoused a little too confusing for young minds. The reality shows are for people who are uncomfortable with thinking.

skeptic griggsy
skeptic griggsy 12/05/10 - 07:28 am

Thank you, History Channel for not putting on the lying ad,but you shouldn't put on those shows advocating woo!
As a patriotic Unionist, I maintain that the Civil War centered on slavery: all references to free trade and other matters were merely secondary.
Until Kenneth M.Stump in 1955 in " The Peculiar Institution:Slavery in the Ante-Bellum South exposed that false history, the Southern lie held sway, due in large part to Ulrich B.Phillips. Stump notes the lies to uphold slavery.
We patriotic, progressive white Southerners-not just liberals- decry the unfounded defence of that slavocracy the Confederacy.
Isn't it sickening that those Sons of the Confederacy, who otherwise drape themselves in Old Glory, defend the South's illegal succession? That those New England States,too, had desired to succeed is an ignoratio elenchi- irrelevant- and just as ill-founded!
Patriots strongly oppose that rewriting of history those Sons of Slavocracy prattle!

blues550
blues550 12/05/10 - 07:38 am
The History Channel is owned

The History Channel is owned by NBC. Nothing more needs to be.

blues550
blues550 12/05/10 - 07:38 am
The History Channel is owned

The History Channel is owned by NBC. Nothing more needs to be.

cubbie
cubbie 12/05/10 - 08:18 am
Sandpiper: Love the posting "

Sandpiper: Love the posting " Reality shows are for people uncomfortable with thinking".

Jackson
Jackson 12/05/10 - 08:42 am
I liked sanpiper's response

I liked sanpiper's response too cubbie!

handoff57
handoff57 12/05/10 - 08:51 am
My dear Griggsy, I find your

My dear Griggsy,
I find your use fo words slightly entertaining, while trying to find substance, which is naught. In plain english, I don't watch any channel thinking I'm going to get the whole truth in any matter, base show or advertising by anyone. You are perhaps aware of the timeline between the freeing of slaves and the start of the war, which by the way, I don't think any man has the right to hold ownership over any other man. Your are aware that many and I mean many of these "freed" men were used as sheilds in the front lines of the Union army. You are aware of the timeline between economics and the introduction of Mr Eli Whitney's cotton picking machine, making "ownership" of these people less of a viable option. You are aware of the fact that southerners weren't the only ones in this ownership game. You are aware that the only flag to fly in protection of this ownership is the stars and bars that I hold so dearly. It was done on Middle eastern ships by simply having one merchant marine on board to sign a quit claim deed and hoisting up our stars and bars so the English ships wouldn't board and look for slaves.??
Excuse me, I'm sure that such a learned gentleman would know of such things by the apparent research done in your spare time.
Have a nice day,

handoff57
handoff57 12/05/10 - 09:01 am
My Dear Griggsy, I do

My Dear Griggsy,
I do apologize for my lack of information, you can find all of these things and more by visiting antique bookstores. The Courthouse at Appomattox, Charleston, one of my favorites, Savannah. All just a drive away, but don't buy the Madison Ave. romance novels. Buy the ones written in the first person by Mr Grants personal liason, or Mr Lee's as well. You can find a book in Appomattox all about the surrender, exactly how it was done, and a list of names and from where they came. If you go to the courthouse archives in Americus, you might find a handwritten paper on the economic impact of Mr Whitney's invention which was distributed to a Mr Middleton etc. who all signed the succesion papers.
After all these years, why are we still the only educated country that still refers to people as to their heritage?
Have a nice day

MajorPaul
MajorPaul 12/05/10 - 10:10 am
This is the very reason I do

This is the very reason I do not get they history channel. They only have a very biased and one sided perspective, and they are not interested in the real history of anything.
Refusal to air these ads is just another in a long line of proofs that their programing- while being entertaining perhaps- is about as historicaly accurate as Marse Lincoln was a good president.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/05/10 - 12:29 pm
"You are aware of the

"You are aware of the timeline between economics and the introduction of Mr Eli Whitney's cotton picking machine, making "ownership" of these people less of a viable option."

If I understand what you are saying, that's backwards. Whitney invented the cotton GIN which separated cotton from the seeds and made it a profitable crop. It strengthened slavery in the south.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 12/05/10 - 03:54 pm
Some of you people really

Some of you people really need to do some research,before you put your mind in gear.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 12/05/10 - 05:28 pm
skeptic griggsy, you do

skeptic griggsy, you do realize that there were slaves North of the Mason-Dixon, right? Granted, not as many as in the South, but that had more to do with their use in harvesting cash crops than it anything regarding superior morality in the Northern States. The North was simply more industrialized at the time than the South.

The Civil War wasn't about slavery or State's rights. It was simply another 'measuring' contest among men... the same reason all wars are fought if you ask me......

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 12/05/10 - 06:07 pm
The History Channel is

The History Channel is entertainment and history is scripted to be both entertaining and politically correct. They're not a debating forum and don't want to be controversial because advertising revenues are at stake.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 12/05/10 - 06:09 pm
I thought the SCV ads were

I thought the SCV ads were paid advertisements, Apparently their money is no good in NY.

skeptic griggsy
skeptic griggsy 12/05/10 - 06:17 pm
handoff, I'm aware that

handoff, I'm aware that others ever try to pardon the successionists and the slavocrats. Why wouldn't men fighting for their own freedom not desire to fight on the front lines? Let's have real information on this matter! That others, including the Quakers whom the deists had to convince of the wrongness of slavery before they abandoned slavery themselves and helped geit rid of that vile institution, adds to the fact that the Tanakh and the Christian Testament with their sanction of slavery added to the problem. Yes, Old Glory did fly in that manner, but Pres. Lincoln and the then magnificient Republican Party arose to make the flag more of a symbol of liberty!
Thanks for rhe nice comment on my language use!
What a perverse statement in the lips of the slaver when he said, " Give me liberty or give me death!
Foks, please defend liberty rather than the lost Old South that inclued Missouri, Maryland and Delaware, the three border states of which now Maryland and Missouri are in the Southern Governors Conference. So V.P. Biden in that sense cannot be a southerner. Oh,well.
Patriotism does not whitewash the wrongs of any section of this Union!

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 12/05/10 - 06:39 pm
walrus4ever - Same reason the

walrus4ever - Same reason the Confederate Air Force had to change its name to the Commemorative Air Force because the word "Confederate" was offensive to some donors and they shied away for being associated with the group.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/05/10 - 07:08 pm
Amen Sandpiper, reality shows

Amen Sandpiper, reality shows are the proof of the dumbing down of America!

skeptic griggsy
skeptic griggsy 12/05/10 - 09:00 pm
gaspingwater, do you largely

gaspingwater, do you largely agree with me or not? I appreciate feedback from other knowledgeable people!
The only "reality" shows I watch are the television news and discussions. I no longer read fiction and don't watch much on television.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 12/05/10 - 11:10 pm
skeptic griggsy - The 1861 -

skeptic griggsy - The 1861 - 65 war was our people's darkest hour and many perished and many more were maimed for life. A tragedy that neither side could have foreseen in the beginning. There were plenty of wrongs on both sides. And using Douglas MacArthur's words, 'out of the carnage of the past,' the country was unified and slavery was ended. The federal government gained primacy and states became lesser. Let me end by saying I think money and greed were the principle reasons for the war, just like other wars. To argue otherwise is just disingenuous.

Gregory Kalof
Gregory Kalof 12/07/10 - 02:08 pm
I’m glad to see so many

I’m glad to see so many opinions on the subject of the History’s Channel political expression of denying the Sons of Confederate Veterans to voice their own views of our history. Something of a contradiction in a country once based on Freedom of Speech. I too have noticed a lot of slanting of historical events towards a politically correct interpretation. Too bad we have fallen so far from the 1776 Tree of Freedom. SHAME ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL, RECONSTRUCTION IS ALIVE AND WELL IN THE SOUTH.

rlitchford
rlitchford 12/10/10 - 01:07 am
Once again the liberal

Once again the liberal element complains and is rewarded by getting their way.

Once again Americans who take pride in their heritage and culture are slighted.

Once again our children are deprived of the right to listen and make up their own minds after hearing a free expression of cultural orientation.

The liberals who sponsor complaints such as this and the cowardly response from the History Channel call into question all programing of the history channel.

The question is thus raised, who’s history are we viewing when we watch the History Channel?

Is it a true accounting of all empirical evidence that includes all points of view or perhaps just a further extension of government censure.

It is propaganda of the most dangerous type because its only purpose can be to target a select class of Americans demeaning their cultural history in the process.

I for one will stop watching the History Channel, where I have appeared in Revolutionary War Programing. I will stop watching because their last presentation on the Revolution contained so many historical errors and the experts employed to offer commentary were not experts. It was a twisted presentation and of little real value.

The recent action coupled with my observations on Revolutionary Programing would suggest that perhaps we need a new channel willing to stand up for cultural correctness and one that has the courage to irradiate liberal groups who in the name of political correctness deprive select groups of Americans the right of freedom of speech and in the process steal from their children a cultural past for which their forefathers fought, sacrificed, and died to secure.

Richard A. Litchford

bears_choice
bears_choice 12/15/10 - 11:20 am
Skeptic Griggsy, thanks for

Skeptic Griggsy, thanks for your post! You've taken on a sisyphian task! Its a shame that more of us (we southerners) don't know how the ideological claims of neo-confederate politicians and organizations have been used to maintain the poverty and unequal access to state services not only of African Americans but the majority of whites. The Confederate States' constitutions spell out what the war was about namely maintaining the power of a very small wealthy elite, while poor whites (those who couldn't pay to get out of the fighting) fought a war to maintain inequality. In the post-war years it would have been natural for the majority of whites to join forces with freedmen to establish a more equitable system of taxation, education, healthcare, etc. but the racist ideology of the neo-confederates helped to codify a system of inequality enshrined in the postwar state constitutions. What a wasted opportunity.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...