Teens accused in toddler's beating

SC toddler hanged by ankles in closet

CHARLESTON, S.C. --- An 18-month-old boy remained in critical condition Friday after authorities say he was hung by his ankles in a closet and repeatedly beaten by three teenage boys.

The three, ages 16, 15, and 14, are accused of abusing Louis Wright, and the child's 18-year-old mother, Shakera Wright, is accused of allowing the beating to occur, according to North Charleston police. She remained in jail Friday on a $40,000 bond.

Police were called to a hospital Tuesday after Louis arrived with face swelling, five fractured ribs, blood in his throat, bruises, and lacerations to his spleen, liver and pancreas. A brain scan revealed an old skull fracture that had healed, according to a police report.

Wright told a social worker the teens "play-wrestled" with him Monday evening. Making boxing motions with her fists, she said they hit her son until she stopped them because she thought the hitting got too hard, according to the report.

She said she didn't notice anything was wrong until the next morning, when Louis wasn't as "playful as usual," and she called 911.

According to arrest warrants, the oldest teen admitted abusing the child but called it wrestling. He was charged as an adult with inflicting great bodily injury on a child and held on $80,000 bond.

The police report said Wright and her twin sister were staying with the oldest teen. The Associated Press is not naming him because he is a juvenile. The other teens were charged as juveniles and have not been identified.

The arrest warrant for the oldest teen says he waived his right to a lawyer and admitted dropping the toddler on the ground and hitting him in his shoulder.

He said he and his friends "wrestled" with the child for about 30 minutes, including lifting him above their heads and slamming him on a bed, when his head might have hit a table.

Both charges -- inflicting the injury and allowing the injury -- are felonies punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

The Department of Social Services took custody of Louis.

It was unclear whether Wright had a lawyer.

poolmom
poolmom 12/03/10 - 09:51 am
What a terrible mother! Poor

What a terrible mother! Poor baby! I pray he recovers and gets placed in a home with a mom who cares for him.

belle
belle 12/03/10 - 09:58 am
These three boys need to be

These three boys need to be put away for life. There is no way someone could do this to a child and then live on as if nothing happened. They themselves must have been tortured in some way. The mother of course should be executed.

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 12/03/10 - 09:58 am
A Merry Christmas indeed! for

A Merry Christmas indeed! for this little one...So Sad.
The teens are corrupt from a disturbingly misguided home-life...they have beaten a child and obviously enjoyed it...can they be rehabilitated? Who knows... This "Mother"...(A word that isn't applicable here) is nothing more than the dirty sweat and tears that dripped on the floor as her child, her flesh and blood, was beaten and crying.
May she get all that she deserves and MORE in a penitentiary VERY SOON!...

scoobynews
scoobynews 12/03/10 - 10:35 am
I pray this child NEVER has

I pray this child NEVER has to return to this "mother". What sick person would allow such a thing? I can't imagine the abuse this child went through and it is heartbreaking to know that his situation is criticial because I sure don't want to see it reported in a few days that he died from injuries. I hope he survives this and is placed within a loving home.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 12/03/10 - 10:38 am
How could any mother attempt

How could any mother attempt to offer up an excuse for someone beating her child like that??? I didn't read that any of the teens were her children, so why the defense for them?

I just don't get it... the state can decide to put a prisoner to death, but we can't get mandatory sterilization for anyone convicted (I'm aware there's been no conviction yet, btw) of a crime like this?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/10 - 10:44 am
This mother needs to hang

This mother needs to hang upside down & given a good beating...that is just for starts......then jail cell.

Onethingreal
Onethingreal 12/03/10 - 10:47 am
The abject cruelty displayed

The abject cruelty displayed by the teens here is akin to that from which serial killers are made. Using a baby as a pinata with mother's permission - I cannot conceive of a more heinous act, although I know they exist. One ponders whether they worked their way up to that magnitude of torture with animals.

momster59
momster59 12/03/10 - 11:13 am
I would comment, but would

I would comment, but would end up being banned from the AC site.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 12/03/10 - 11:18 am
This is heart-breaking.

This is heart-breaking.

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/03/10 - 11:18 am
Sick sick sick. What kind of

Sick sick sick. What kind of monster would commit such a heinous crime against a child??? It scares me to think about it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/03/10 - 11:32 am
This would be an immediate

This would be an immediate ban for me, I do not use AC PC so I will not comment.

mable8
mable8 12/03/10 - 11:42 am
This is one of those

This is one of those situations where we wish we could mete out the same 'punishment' to the culprits that they gave the victim. There is NO excuse for the mother's behavior in this, nor did the teens have to carry out her wishes. This is a far cry from play wrestling---since when is a person hung up-side down in a closet, beaten with fists or an object, and its called 'wrestling'? This is also one of those situations where we wish sterilization could be used for resolving one's criminal proclivities--may this so-called mother NEVER have another child to harm, corrupt, or otherwise ruin.

Angela Odom
Angela Odom 12/03/10 - 11:42 am
OMG. I hope this child

OMG. I hope this child recovers and is not scared for life. I am 44 years of age and cant have children due to what I suppose is "god's callling." I would love to have a child and am so sick of seeing these stories. These three young men may be our next "Columbine" shooters. Do something now before it is to late. If this child needs a home, I have one!!!!!!!!

mable8
mable8 12/03/10 - 11:50 am
And what are the teens

And what are the teens charged with? The article doesn't say--but let's hope they have to serve time until they are 21.

Angela Odom
Angela Odom 12/03/10 - 11:57 am
And, to Mike Arrington, I

And, to Mike Arrington, I hope you are right about that. What happened in Burke County is absolutely.......I don't even now what to say. I love animals as I love children and I hope like heck they catch the person that killed those poor animals. Everyone, including myself needs to pitch in on the reward.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 12/03/10 - 12:01 pm
Til thy are 21 how about 121

Til thy are 21 how about 121

mable8
mable8 12/03/10 - 12:27 pm
Because, catfishstew, the

Because, catfishstew, the other 3 perps are teens and the law is different where their punishment is concerned. If tried as adults, they could receive a longer sentence--have to see if the DA decides he should do this for all 3 or just one of them or not at all. I didn't say I agreed with sentencing until age 21, but that's what is available for juveniles.

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/03/10 - 12:31 pm
Amen, CATFISHSTEW. These

Amen, CATFISHSTEW. These sorry excuses for human beings deserve to be hung upside down and lashed. These are the types of individuals who are responsible for crimes such as the ones against the dogs in Burke County. I hope and pray that justice is served against these slimeballs, that the child finds a new HOME with loving parents (where can I sign up to adopt?). I also hope that the individuals responsible for the crime against the innocent animals in Burke County are caught and suffer just as their victims did. These individuals are sick and are society's disgrace.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/03/10 - 01:06 pm
It's amazing that this little

It's amazing that this little guy is still alive if they beat him badly enough to lacerate his pancreas. Fortunately, if he does survive this torture, he probably won't remember it, unless he ends up living with the impossibly heartless and stupid ogre who gave birth to him.

texred
texred 12/03/10 - 01:40 pm
This will probably get

This will probably get deleted, but how about the same punishment for the three teens, hang them up and let someone beat on them .....Grrrr - things are just getting out of hand, no disciple in the homes , schools or just about anywhere........... Things have sure changed since I was growing up and the old wood shed was still around to be used, sometims for something besides wood.

jones255
jones255 12/03/10 - 01:26 pm
PLEASE call your state

PLEASE call your state representative and URGE them to make child abuse, a capital offense !! I hope and pray that all four die a very painful, and slow death. And I pray for the deliverance of the child. There is no reason that this type of behavior should be ever tolerated.

PeggyRuth382
PeggyRuth382 12/03/10 - 01:38 pm
First, where does it say it

First, where does it say it was three teenage BOYS? Secondly, I too would get deleted if I say what I want to say. So I'll stop right here.

fontana
fontana 12/03/10 - 01:56 pm
South Carolina is the

South Carolina is the "Trailer Park of the USA", nothing surprises me coming out of that state. The teens probably picked up the idea from the "SC Bear Hunters" training their attack dogs to abuse and terrorize bears. I also believe that this incident is just a fraction of what goes on over there, most probably never gets reported.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 12/03/10 - 03:26 pm
any bets "ole" shakera is

any bets "ole" shakera is about 15-16 yrs old???

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 12/03/10 - 03:42 pm
How sick. I hope these sorry

How sick. I hope these sorry excuses for human beings are locked away for life, but with our judicial system, it is unlikely. If anything, I hope the child never has to be around those boys or that woman (maybe a teen girl) again.

The idiot 16 year old called it wrestling? REALLY? You're 16, you don't wrestle a 1 year old........

jdsgirl63
1953
jdsgirl63 12/03/10 - 04:32 pm
The "mother" is 18. None of

The "mother" is 18. None of their bail is higher than $80k. This story is not for the faint of heart.
Just the saddest thing to happen to any child.

jdsgirl63
1953
jdsgirl63 12/03/10 - 04:33 pm
This poor baby had a previous

This poor baby had a previous skull fracture that healed, but never got medical attention. It's a miracle he has survived this long. I pray he recovers (physically and mentally) and is placed in a loving home at the first possible chance.

Jackson
Jackson 12/03/10 - 05:00 pm
How can someone have that

How can someone have that much evil in their heart?
I just cannot fathom it. I'm embarrased that these people are from my hometown.
Throw the book at them!

jojo6500jojo
jojo6500jojo 12/03/10 - 05:43 pm
If this child survives this

If this child survives this without any irreversible damage to his mind or body then maybe he will have a Merry Christmas when he is removed from his mother and given to a family that deserves a sweet little baby. Thankfully he is too young to remember everything and hopefully will be able to make a full recovery in a loving home. It amazes me that anyone can have a child biologically but the people out there that really want to be parents cannot afford to adopt them. 500,000 children or more a year are in put into foster care. 500,000

Farmboy
Farmboy 12/03/10 - 05:52 pm
This is sad, but it's what we

This is sad, but it's what we have come to expect.

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.