Bringing down the house

Jackie Ricciardi/staff
Back | Next
Members of Augusta State University's softball team help demolish Earnie Graham's south Augusta home. Crew and volunteers with ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition continued working Friday to build Graham and her family a new home, which will be revealed Wednesday.   Jackie Ricciardi/Staff
Jackie Ricciardi/Staff
Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 12/03/10 - 05:19 pm
Great Show - Great Building

Great Show - Great Building Company and Volunteers - Well deserving hard working mom and family.

wildman
wildman 12/03/10 - 05:39 pm
I support what Bill Beasley

I support what Bill Beasley Homes is doing, but thank God I don't live in one. Seventy five (75%) percent of the Extreme Makeover homes are in foreclosure. Look it up!

mel1968
mel1968 12/03/10 - 06:07 pm
wildman, I'm sure you will

wildman,
I'm sure you will agree, It's because these families cannot afford them after their built!

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 12/03/10 - 06:09 pm
wildman, how do 6 or 7 homes

wildman, how do 6 or 7 homes in forclosure over seven seasons of building homes equate to 75%??? That is an inflation of numbers to say the least. I am happy that this family is getting help and Augusta is getting some positive publicity.

tyw
tyw 12/03/10 - 06:44 pm
On the way to work I saw the

On the way to work I saw the Home Makeover bus pulled over on Greene st with a policeman tallking to the driver and had it's vehicles behind it with it's lights on. Does anyone know if the bus had a escort or did Richmond county really pull them over for something?

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 12/03/10 - 07:52 pm
I was under the impression

I was under the impression that when Extreme Makeover turned the keys over to the homeowner the home was free and clear. Now I have heard of a family that mortgaged the home to start a business, and wound up filing bankruptcy and losing the house that way, but I am not aware of any Extreme Make Over homes that have been foreclosed, unless of course the recipients of the homes used the equity to obtain a mortgage on the home. in which case, that would make sense. But if someone gives one a gold bar, does one go to the pawn shop to get rid of it? Much like the lottery winners who have wound up broke a few years later.

wildman
wildman 12/03/10 - 08:44 pm
Never said I was not happy

Never said I was not happy for the family. I think this is a great thing for all involved.

pommom38
pommom38 12/03/10 - 08:52 pm
No, they do not just *give*

No, they do not just *give* the house away. To some they do IF a company has volunteered to pay off the mortgage.
It is the AFTER the families must deal with.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/04/10 - 12:25 am
Congratulations to the

Congratulations to the family! Wish they had an Extreme Makeover for old malls.

Cadence
Cadence 12/04/10 - 10:42 am
Boom! and it's gone. Amazing

Boom! and it's gone. Amazing how they do that.

Wolves, thank you for bumping that. I only have a few dollars but I will make a donation to the family.

soldout
soldout 12/04/10 - 10:41 am
Since they are given money to

Since they are given money to pay the gift taxes the homes must be free and clear. Some of the folks that need a new home are there because of bad choices. If you give a new home to one of those folks they will continue to make bad choices. Hopefully this is not the case here and things will be fine.

bdouglas
bdouglas 12/04/10 - 12:16 pm
I got a bit of a chuckle out

I got a bit of a chuckle out of the motorcycles trying to pull the house down and then falling over. Then they had to pre-cut a hole around the window to get it to even remotely look like they did some damage with the bikes. Pretty unimpressive feat there!

It always peeves me when I watch this show when they black out names of local subcontractors on everything (like the big machine that just said WRECKING on it with the company name covered up) when all these people are donating their time, efforts and money to the project...while the big national chains like Sears, Home Depot, Lumber Liquidators, etc. get their names plastered all over things and mentioned every 5 minutes on the show when their sacrifice for the program is miniscule at best in the grand scheme of their profits.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/04/10 - 04:36 pm
It is necessary to do that

It is necessary to do that bdouglas. It is the nature of the business. The businesses that you see labels for paid for the advertising on the show, even if they donated the materials, products, etc. The companies whose labels that are covered or removed of donated products did not pay for advertising them on the show.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/04/10 - 04:45 pm
Odd, I only saw a handful of

Odd, I only saw a handful of the people that are featured in the spotted section. I must have been on a different work shift.