Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A rave to The Augusta Chronicle, for running only raves on Thanksgiving Day!

Steve Spurrier did what Nancy Pelosi couldn't do. He drained the swamp.

Obama visited a plant in Kokomo, Ind. He managed to screw up his timing of the visit so that several hundred workers lost work hours, thus they lost half a day's pay.

North Korea attacked South Korea. That's the kind of thing that could very easily kick off a new world war, just as World War I was started by a single assassination in Europe. But the U.S. need not worry. Obama is experienced with both international know-how and military expertise. Surely, you've noticed that in his resume.

I WOULD JUST like to say thanks for the CSRA senior Thanksgiving lunch. It was wonderful and the music and the message that the Bible Deliverance done was great we all had a great time singing and eating all the great food thanks to the CSRA recreation department. It's good to know something is done for the seniors.

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone

If your child is out too much, even from sickness, you will be turned over to the Department of Family and Children Services.

Rant: When will the county widen the intersection of Marks Church Road and Wrightsboro Road? There is always a long line of vehicles down Marks Church Road. It is especially horrible during the holiday season. I hope something is done very soon

Please, please let Sarah Palin run for President in 2012. I think a women in the White House with crib notes should solve the majority of the world's problems ... My guess is the GOP would have to make some tough decisions, something they really are not used to doing.

I'll bet that Wrightsboro Road didn't have as many potholes when it was dirt.

I have concluded that Augusta suffers from an incurable mental disorder. I call it Disgustaphrenia.

A big rant to commissioner Matt Aitken! I voted for you but am now trying to figure out why. Crime in my neighborhood is out of control and you vote to cut money from the sheriff's budget and your answer to public safety is to let the DDA flunkies issue parking tickets. Can I have a recount please?

Tell us what you think
the kid
the kid 11/26/10 - 06:21 am
now that turkey day is over i

now that turkey day is over i want too say MERRY CHRISTMAS too all

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/26/10 - 06:35 am
That is a nice thing to say

That is a nice thing to say to everybody. Merry Christmas to you too.

TeamLoser
TeamLoser 11/26/10 - 07:48 am
I think that we are going to

I think that we are going to have to wait for a new government building to be built on Wrightsboro rd, then they will fix it. The city needs more studies done and baseball fields to be built before they can fix roads.
That road has been in bad shape since I started driving.

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/26/10 - 09:50 am
A RAVE for the shopping

A RAVE for the shopping weather today. Only about 2 hours left until the football kickoffs start!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/10 - 11:09 am
Good Morning After

Good Morning After Thanksgiving America, My Friends and Foes.

I see everything is back to normal, "Teens' bodies found" & 100 comments have been put in the AC closet.

Great example of PC and the freedom you no longer have.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/10 - 11:37 am
Good morning, Cobalt. There

Good morning, Cobalt. There was a "robust exchange" on that thread last night. It got a bit spirited, but the comments were respectful. I suspect that the reason the debate was shut down was because several different trains of thought developed.

Several posters criticised the sheriff and what they postulated was his lack of "community policing" as being a cause of the increase in murders this year. Only two people came to the sheriff's defense. Then, several people chimed in and starting blaming the mayor for the increase in murders because he does not "speak out" enough to suit them.

Then the actual murder aspect got off track when I commented on an "ageism" tactic. When I first saw the story last night, the headline and first sentence talked about two "teenaged women" who were murdered. But practically all of the initial commenters were using the term "girls." I entered the fray to opine that "girls" was inappropriate usage. They could be called "teens," "teenagers," or "young women," — but they certainly were not girls.

Next the discussion drifted into the subculture aspects of the crime. There was discussion of the late-night hours, the finding of the bodies in the "wooded area" at 2:20 a.m. by someone walking around in the area, the possibility of illegal drugs being a factor, possible prior criminal activity — all legitimate items for discussion.

Another theme arose in the thread from our Harrisburg activists. They posted about drug deals, drug houses, slumlords and the "chronic nuisance property ordinance." I wondered what "drug houses" had to do with the murders, since the story said police believed the young women were killed where the bodies were found, and there was no drug house involved.

Then a Richmond County booster posted that we did not need to worry about the increased murder rate for the county in 2010 because murder rates are up all over the country. He posted a statistic that the murder rate for New York City is up about 16% for 2010 compared with 2009 year-to-date. I did the math and posted that the murder rate for Augusta is up about 37% so far.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/10 - 11:26 am
Yeah, it's a bummer the

Yeah, it's a bummer the comments were all pulled. I thought we were all respectful, too. The other opinion some brought out, including Austin, was that because the teenagers had criminal records, etc. that no one would get excited about two more murders even if they are at record levels. Actually, I don't think anyone commenting believed the teens were angels.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/10 - 11:25 am
We were in the CSRA for the

We were in the CSRA for the last few days & ENJOYED IT VERY MUCH...Thanks to our GREAT family for all the love & kindness---& CG we came down your road BUT the BIG TRUCKs blew us away----try to see ya next time!! :)
btw I love APPLING area.

happychimer
happychimer 11/26/10 - 11:30 am
Lamb on that other thread you

Lamb on that other thread you mentioned the title of the story on the 2 murdered females had changed, and your comment was removed. AC removing it made no sense to me. You said nothing wrong.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/10 - 11:32 am
Thank you, happy chimer. I

Thank you, happy chimer. I was wondering whether I would be banished this morning.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/10 - 11:37 am
It appeared the comments

It appeared the comments about the murders were removed when it got into a discussion of the teenagers' lives. The statement I remember is that no one is going to become upset about all the murders because these two teenagers were not pristine.

I suggested the murders in the city are at crisis levels and emergency meetings with Deke, Sheriff, Commissioners and all department heads should be held TODAY. Deke is at the beach and probably has his phone turned off again, but maybe Mayor Pro Tem Alvin Mason can stand in during this crisis.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 11/26/10 - 11:37 am
LL and others, I missed out

LL and others, I missed out on the debate about the murders last night but was interested to see the comments.If the debate became "spirited" concerning the Mayor and the Sheriff as you say then I'm not at all surprised the comments were pulled. I have been disappointed in the past by the AC's seeming acquiescence whenever biting criticism of these two offices in particular is brought forth. Freedom of the press? Not in this town.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/10 - 11:40 am
I suspect you are correct,

I suspect you are correct, RM. There was much speculation from us commenters about possible drug activity, when the article did not mention it. The main ones zeroing in on the drug activity were the Harrisburg activists.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/10 - 11:41 am
Another person suggested it

Another person suggested it wasn't a big deal because after all Lincoln County just had a murder suicide, too. I pointed out that was the first murder in Lincoln County in 7 years.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/10 - 11:43 am
Lori Davis made some

Lori Davis made some excellent comments. All that is gone. I'm really disappointed

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/10 - 11:44 am
Two things we agree on: the

Two things we agree on: the crime is a tragedy for the victims' families and the suspect is still at large.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/10 - 11:48 am
Give the Chronicle a couple

Give the Chronicle a couple of days. I have faith in them and have a feeling they've had enough too and are about to become very active.

Their problem probably is not being able to find Deke. He said after the Cherry Tree riots he didn't answer the phone for 4 days because he was at the beach according to past Chronicle statements.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/10 - 11:55 am
It's eerie enough to send a

It's eerie enough to send a chill up your spine that the black ministers were calling for a monument to all the murdered, as misguided as the idea may be. It tells us how distraught the community is with ALL these murders.

Sonny621
Sonny621 11/26/10 - 12:47 pm
We fight for freedom of the

We fight for freedom of the press only to have the press censor the freedom of the people to express their own opinion. Invariably when a serious situation occurs in the Augusta area and the public comments get heated the AC pulls the plug. Today I tried to read the comments about the double murder this week only to find nothing.

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/26/10 - 12:49 pm
But aren't the "Were You

But aren't the "Were You Spotted?" sections so nice?

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/26/10 - 01:35 pm
I dunno GoGators, some of

I dunno GoGators, some of those pictures offended me...... ;-)

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/26/10 - 01:52 pm
Wow, Eyes! I think you might

Wow, Eyes! I think you might be the first person I've ever seen admit on the boards that you look at any of them.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/10 - 01:58 pm
Come on Gators, don't you

Come on Gators, don't you think #3 turned you on?

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/26/10 - 02:07 pm
#3 rant didn't do anything

#3 rant didn't do anything for me, no.

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/26/10 - 02:22 pm
A happy shopper just got in a

A happy shopper just got in a fight and got stabbed in the back in front of the BestBuy.

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/26/10 - 03:11 pm
MERRY CHRISTMAS! And to the

MERRY CHRISTMAS! And to the one's that these words offend, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/10 - 03:17 pm
If I don't see the words

If I don't see the words "Merry Christmas" at a store, I will be damned if I will shop at it. Period

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/26/10 - 03:17 pm
Well, it's their paper and

Well, it's their paper and their news story, so any negative comments that don't agree with their PC mentality will be removed. They're like what O said. "We Won, so your opinion doesn't count anymore.

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/26/10 - 03:19 pm
Chavez and Castro control the

Chavez and Castro control the press daily by not allowing opposing viewpoints to be discussed.

crackerjack