Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I left the Riverhawks for dead like most people I know ... but kudos to the new GM because I am finally seeing advertisements around town and in papers for them and beer specials and promos brought back. I thought this would be one and done, but I might actually go to a game.

Raves to the Augusta State Jaguars for a great home basketball opener with victories to both the men's and Lady Jaguar teams. What a delight to see the Lady Jaguars play with athleticism and energy throughout the entire game. To all the fans who left before the second game, you missed out on the start of a new era for the Lady Jags. I can't wait to see them in action at the next game. Welcome and thanks , coach Teymer. Go, Jags!

Dr. Ricardo Azziz is exactly the kind of leader that the front-line staff at MCG have been "hungry" for. We have ideas and thoughts about how to make MCG the hospital of choice, but have had our ideas brushed off by administrators with the attitude of " We've always done it this way." I really hope he will follow some of his implementation principles such as Foster Innovation and Leadership. We really need to get some people off of the bus and get the right ones on that are willing to think outside of the box. Hats off to you , Dr. Azziz , for giving the staff a glimmer of hope.

Bullying is allowed to go on at Hephzibah Middle School. I have been a volunteer for the past two years and witnessed the principal tell the staffers not to write up bullying - it is teasing. I also heard him tell the staffers they could get on his bus or get out. Of course, their hands are tied ; they have family and need their job. Seems to me he is the bully.

The area and world lost a great one in Jimmy Knight. So many simple, easy things he did and pushed and for the area and youths . It's unbelievable. We're going to tremendously miss him. Do something for him. Name the area down there or something. Show appreciation for the children and coaches in the area now that he brought up and pushed with his wonderful program. Good luck, and we'll miss you, Jimmy.

This is a rant for MCG pertaining to traffic lights. If they would concentrate on how to cycle the traffic lights, they wouldn't have to have crossing guards and they wouldn't have to talk about closing streets.

Tell us what you think
ZenoElia
ZenoElia 11/24/10 - 05:53 am
I agree..where the heck did

I agree..where the heck did Books-A-Million go? If I hafta drive to the mall I'm gonna be miffed. That's the only one I care about..the rest are redundancies and resurrected oldies but goldies...like this one...If RC could just learn how to accommodate more than the primary road at an intersection both lines of traffic might not back up...but it is RC after all..whadya expect? God bless n G'day.

justfred
justfred 11/24/10 - 07:05 am
This is a rant for Lowes in

This is a rant for Lowes in Lexington, SC. I went there yesterday for something I was almost certain they wouldn't have. The first employee, from Seasonal, walked me to aisle 16, the aisle most likely to have what I needed, even stayed with me and helped me search.The 2nd guy, from aisle 16, offered his help and made several alternative suggestions,, the 3rd guy, who was simply walking by, thought completely outside the box and came up with an alternative that works just fine. What a great shopping experience...

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/24/10 - 07:08 am
"This is a rant for Lowes in

"This is a rant for Lowes in Lexington, SC. ...."

Dang, what would it take to get a rave out of you? :-)

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 11/24/10 - 07:09 am
thanx 'gator'...at least I

thanx 'gator'...at least I know more about it now. Sounds a lot like Half-priced bookstores in TX or like Hastings college book stores around TX college towns...bought a lot of good books like this.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/24/10 - 07:12 am
Nice post Dr. Azziz. Nice

Nice post Dr. Azziz. Nice big words. As for the Bookstore comments- perhaps they would have stayed if you had actually BOUGHT books instead of sitting around all day reading them in the store. It was a business, NOT a library.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 11/24/10 - 07:34 am
It was nice to not have to

It was nice to not have to fight mall traffic to get a book. Now I guess I will just go to Amazon and order them. I hate the mall. I shouldnt say hate, I have a genuine intense feeling of dread if I have to go to the mall.

momster59
momster59 11/24/10 - 08:12 am
Rant #1 - so you won't go see

Rant #1 - so you won't go see a hockey game unless they advertise all over town? I go to hockey games because I like the sport. Geeze Louise, I've been doing it wrong all this time.
Rave #2 - Go Jaguars! Fight like a girl.
Rave #3 - "this is how we have always done it" is a mantra of the masses here in Augusta. Hopefully some of Dr. Azziz's ideas will bring positive change.
Rant #4 - yup. I've seen many bullies take leadership roles. And yes, bullying is a part of most schools that is under reported and not taken seriously, even when students are harmed.
Rant #5 - didn't really care for that bookstore myself. As gator has pointed out, it closed and a used bookstore took it's place. Borders is a great place - good parking, coffee shop, great employees. For used books you can't beat David Hutchinson at the Book Tavern.
Rave #6 - did not know the man personally, but have only heard/read positive things about him. Condolences to those who loved him.
Rant #7 - agree with the lights and traffic flow, but as I recall, the crossing guards were brought in after pedestrians were hit by cars.

momster59
momster59 11/24/10 - 08:18 am
Today is the day before

Today is the day before Thanksgiving. The day is not about the feast, but about the blessings.
Be sure to tell those you care about how much you love them.
Show compassion to those in need.
Invite someone without loved ones in the area to share in your celebration.
Random acts of kindness can be contagious, so infect the community with good deeds.
Have a great holiday and be safe.
Promote peace, love and joy.

robbie1
robbie1 11/24/10 - 09:57 am
This is a rant for all of

This is a rant for all of those that passed by the auto collision at Old Evans and Martinez BLVD this morning just after 8 am. One of you witnessed it and didn't stop to make sure everyone was OK, or provide your contact info for the police. Shame on you. Was your destination so important that you ignored your neighbors' trouble? Shame on you. I hope you don't find yourself in a similar predicament.

staind620
staind620 11/24/10 - 10:24 am
I was bullied in HS and I

I was bullied in HS and I wanted to inflict severe pain on the bullies. I had to go to my football coach and tell him that if they didn't stop, I was going to smash my helmet into the other kid's face. The annoying thing was that I just wanted to go about my day unbothered but the little jerks with napoleon complex had to make my life a living hell. I was always taller than other kids and I kept to myself most of the time. Other kids, for some reason, take silence as a weakness. I never thought of killing one of the bullies, but they certainly made me hate high school with a passion and made me want to hurt them (make them hurt physically as much as they made me hurt emotionally). Thoughts and feelings like that can certainly be avoided if we would catch and punish the aggressors. Stop the bullying and the majority of school violence can be avoided.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 11/24/10 - 10:36 am
Momster, I agree. I'm

Momster, I agree. I'm thankful I have my family and we'll be together over the holiday. I'm thankful we are able to purchase our meal instead of standing in line to get a turkey. Count your blessings, name them one by one, count your blessings,see what God has done-and it may surprise you what the Lord has done! Smiles are free,pass them out. Hold the door for a stranger,wave to the person sitting on their porch as you go by-listen to someone-you may be surprised what they will share.
Don't forget safety. Lock your car doors,house doors and keep your pistol handy! Happy Thanksgiving!

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 11/24/10 - 11:40 am
I'm thinking JustFreds 7:05

I'm thinking JustFreds 7:05 meant to say "rave" ....

Lonewuf
Lonewuf 11/24/10 - 11:47 am
momster.... you forgot the

momster.... you forgot the most important thing..... Yes indeed it's about the blessings, but what if some were not so blessed and plagued with a barage of mishaps.....Blessings come in a large variety, and most of us fail to see them at all. The important thing is that we give thanks to our Creator and Lord..... REGARDLESS of our circumstances, blessings OR lack thereof.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 11/24/10 - 12:30 pm
Lonewuf, sometimes it does

Lonewuf, sometimes it does seem like some are blessed more than others. Life is like a marriage,for better or worse,richer or poorer. We're given two hands-one to help ourselves and one to help others. I said in the above post that I was thankful to be able to purchase my Thanksgiving dinner. I didn't say how many coupons I had to use or shortcuts with recipes or who was not invited this year. It's been a struggle but I still have so many blessings . There are lots of days when I worry about the final notice on a bill or what's gonna happen when there is a week left till payday and I need something. It's called faith and usually if I pray about something, the Lord will come through,not necessarily the way I expected it. There are times when I've had to wait on the 'answer'. Someone who is poor may be richer than a millionaire-just not in the checkbook dept. When I have bad times I try to remember that tomorrow is a different day.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 11/24/10 - 12:50 pm
PuppyMama...I like your

PuppyMama...I like your 12:30...it's as right on as any could have said. The point is that when I have lack God meets me where my need is and usually more than I hoped for and often from an unexpected source..I operate my entire biz on the principle that the measure we give is the measure we receive...so I give often and as hard as I can in hopes that when times become difficult and my budget is strained, I can still have the needs of each day met. I ask like the Psalmist who said, give me neither poverty nor riches but my daily bread, lest I have too much and disgrace my God by being extravagant and forget Who made the provision, or by stealing because of lack. When each day's needs are met, I know Who met them and it ain't me it's my God. I am blessed fully and often, simply because I choose to give.

daphne3520
daphne3520 11/24/10 - 02:15 pm
Rant # 4,,, NO doubt you are

Rant # 4,,, NO doubt you are truthful!

Last Rant: That takes wayyyyyy too much common sense, no part of the regimen, hereabouts.

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/24/10 - 02:32 pm
Dr. Azziz has good ideas but

Dr. Azziz has good ideas but they just cost so much money!!! Hold his pocketbook closely while he is still in his honeymoon at MCG. Taxpayers just can't pay for all he has on his adjenda. Tell him to look to the private sector for help.

mable8
mable8 11/24/10 - 03:22 pm
Ranter: "A rant for moving

Ranter: "A rant for moving Books-A-Million. Where is it? It's my family's favorite bookstore in Augusta, even the ones who come from out of town. What did you do with it?" There is no longer a Books-A-Million in Augusta; they are now located in the Aiken Mall. The old Augusta location now houses a used book store and they also have B-A-Ms old phone number.

mable8
mable8 11/24/10 - 03:26 pm
#3: "We really need to get

#3: "We really need to get some people off of the bus" is so correct--but how are you going to get rid of those who have perpetuated inadequate health care and bigotry towards the mentally ill and mentally retarded? Give Dr Azzizz all the kudos you want, but I'll withhold mine until I see improvement in how the full spectrum of patients is treated.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/24/10 - 09:46 pm
Your 12:50 is spot on, Zeno!

Your 12:50 is spot on, Zeno! We're blessed beyond most nations, both as a country, and as individuals. Following God's laws, and Jesus's pattern for forgiveness, is just something you can't go wrong with!
Happy Thanksgiving, Brother, and to everyone as well, God bless!

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 11/24/10 - 10:49 pm
What happened to the article

What happened to the article on the I-20 wreck? Humbleopinion, I was merely pointing out that you said people should pay more attention to the road and pay attention to the senery in the same comment. Then you said you were sure of something you weren't, so i corrected that. I no longer drive commercial vehicles, and never claimed to be perfect. If your going to complain about how dangerous an area is, I feel like that is an area you should be extra careful in, not sightseeing. You said it first ,then said the opposite in your next statement.

Happy Holidays to you as well.

btw- the best way to enjoy a river is in a kayak, no rush, no noise, no one crashing into you.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 11/24/10 - 10:55 pm
I saw a study the other day

I saw a study the other day that said distracted driving may be as bad as drunk driving.....