Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

PARENTS SEND THEIR children to school sick because they are punished if they call in sick. People are scared of losing their jobs in this economy, and employers know it.

WHEN WILL TOBACCO be illegal to grow? Since thousands die from smoking, it would be appropriate to fine those growing it. I know it's a big tax money program that the government doesn't want to lose, yet it wants to ban smoking everywhere.

TO THE PERSON WHO STOLE my scooter in North Augusta. It took me two years to get that scooter. Because of my disability I can't drive anything else. And you steal it! What would your mother think?

AMEN TO THE RANT about the folks who cross Walton Way in the middle of the block, sometimes standing in the turn lane waiting for the traffic to clear. This happens all over Augusta. On Wrightsboro Road between Damascus Road and Jackson Road intersections, the speed limit is 45 mph, but even that doesn't deter crossers from playing dodge-the-car morning, noon and night.

A BIG "THANK YOU" rave to the powers that be who smoothed out the right turn off Washington Road onto Berckmans Road. A month or so ago I sent in a "rant" asking if something could be done ... and it was! We go that way to church and so many other places in our normal day to day life. Thank you so much!

DFCS IS NOT AN EASY place to work. Nothing but complaints, lies and excuses from customers: Don't give me an 8 a.m. appointment; I can't come till after my story's on TV; why do I have to show you a pay stub? I told you what I make.

IT IS THAT TIME OF year again. The time when 95 percent of the people around here will be celebrating Christmas. On TV, on the radio, in magazines, and in catalogs, we will be urged to buy "holiday gifts," "season's gifts" or some other nondescript, insipid form of seasonal description. Retailers use these lame euphemisms because they don't want to offend the 5 percent of our population who do not celebrate Christmas. Seems to me that the merchants would market to the 95 percent rather than the 5 percent.

WHAT A HOOT! I WENT downtown to Augusta to try out a restaurant I had heard about. The restaurant was sitting next to a sleazy strip joint and next door to it was a sanctuary that taught ministries. Where else except Augusta could you make a night out of it by sinning in the strip club, going next door to get saved, and then eating dinner before you go home! Yeah we need a new stadium! I think it should be built next to a bar and police station. You could go to the bar and get tanked, go to the game and get crazy, and when the police arrest you they don't have that far to take take you to jail!

Tell us what you think
omnomnom
omnomnom 11/23/10 - 03:03 am
dunno why with all the

dunno why with all the pothole riddled streets downtown they resurfaced berkman's road. its smooth as butter now though. and mister/missus dfacs worker may think about writing a blog anonymously.

momster59
momster59 11/23/10 - 07:20 am
Rant #1 - but if the child

Rant #1 - but if the child becomes even more sick, they will miss more days of work. Endangering other people's children is not the answer.
Rant #2 - now you get it. Hypocrisy is one of the things the gov't does best.
Rant #3 - some people are so low down and dirty that they would steal a scooter from their own disabled mother. Mother most likely taught them to think of themselves above all others.
Rant #4 - maybe they are trying to get you to hit them so they can sue you. Avoid the temptation. (Then again, maybe they're too lazy to walk down to cross where it's safe)
Rave #5 - nice to know the road has been fixed, but I seriously doubt the rant you sent in had anything to do with it.
Rant #6 - these are the same people raising the people who steal scooters from the disabled.
Rant #7 - being one of the 5% I'm not sure I get what you are ranting about. (although I think it's higher than 5%) Retailers are trying to get people to buy all season long. Hostess gifts, Hanukkah gifts, Kwanzaa gifts, Christmas gifts of people who celebrate it as a secular holiday. If you have an aversion to their wording you have the right to refuse to pay the discounted holiday season prices they are offering at their sales.
Rave #8 - nice to know about your interest in strip joints, restaurants, and church. Of the three, which did you enjoy the best?

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/23/10 - 07:30 am
None of the above. I walked

None of the above. I walked another 10 feet and went to Sportsman's Bar and Grill. That's a great corner!

dani
dani 11/23/10 - 07:47 am
I get you #7, and I agree

I get you #7, and I agree wholeheartedly. It is Christmas...
Keep up the good work. Make your voice heard. It works.

Gator..You are right. And that is a great little bar & grill, especially the grill.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 11/23/10 - 08:33 am
I'd rather see them pave

I'd rather see them pave Berkmans Rd instead of paving Laney Walker/East Boundary again. They need to repave Walton Way too. It is terrible, not to mention it appears to be shrinking.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 11/23/10 - 09:08 am
Mother would probably

Mother would probably think....Thanks for the new scooter baby!

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 11/23/10 - 09:16 am
to the ranter regarding

to the ranter regarding dfacs, they are not customers, parasites is more accurate term. there shouldn't be any arguing if they don't show up at the time you give them or don't show you a paystub have their "freebies" cut off!!!!!!!!!!

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 11/23/10 - 09:17 am
Last ranter, if you look a

Last ranter, if you look a little closer, there are probably doors inside linking all three!

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/23/10 - 09:19 am
gnumbgnuts - There are not --

gnumbgnuts - There are not -- I have searched

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 11/23/10 - 09:21 am
GoGators-lol

GoGators-lol

justfred
justfred 11/23/10 - 10:32 am
To the 3rd ranter, don't go

To the 3rd ranter, don't go round hating on others. As soon as we enjoy our Christmas feast, paid for with 1 of our 4 EBT cards, unwrap the 100 or so presents given to us by various organizations, we gone ride your scooter til the wheels fall off. And since we don't have to consider work days, we will be scooping up some other free goodies as the opportunities arise. I love this country!!

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 11/23/10 - 11:57 am
Just a note...That little

Just a note...That little restaurant is the Sports Center. They have the best hamburgers in town..And on Wed Nite only, you can't find a place in town that has steak, bake potato and the old "green jacket salad" for
$12.00. Puts T'bones to shame. And no I'm not the owner.The location
is fine, after all, you were looking for the place to eat.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/23/10 - 01:25 pm
The Sports Center has the

The Sports Center has the best greasy burger in the CSRA.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 11/23/10 - 01:39 pm
RK...greasy equates to flavor

RK...greasy equates to flavor does it not? Never had beacon without being greasy that tasted worth a fill in the blank.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/23/10 - 01:38 pm
You got it catfish. I used to

You got it catfish. I used to eat there on a regular basis when I worked downtown.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/23/10 - 02:34 pm
WASHINGTON -- The woman who

WASHINGTON -- The woman who told President Barack Obama that she was "exhausted" from defending him and his economic policies and waiting for the change she expected after voting for him has another reason to be put out: She's lost her job.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/23/woman-told-obama-exhausted-lo...

Another wakes up.

Chillen
Chillen 11/23/10 - 03:01 pm
The entitlement crowd is

The entitlement crowd is doing better financially that a family who makes $60,000 per year.

A one-parent family of three making $14,500 a year (minimum wage) has more disposable income than a family making $60,000 a year.

You can do almost as well working one week a month at minimum wage as you can working $60,000-a-year, full-time, high-stress job.

The calculations are all in this article.

Sickening.

TeamLoser
TeamLoser 11/23/10 - 03:36 pm
Well maybe they will fix

Well maybe they will fix Wrightsboro rd between North Leg and the Solo cup plant next, but I dont see that happening.

GO_BAMA_2010_ROLL_TIDE
GO_BAMA_2010_ROLL_TIDE 11/23/10 - 04:47 pm
Hmmmmmmmm!

Hmmmmmmmm!

happychimer
happychimer 11/23/10 - 07:35 pm
Ole Time Burgers, the former

Ole Time Burgers, the former Broad Street Burger, are so doggone good. We ate there today. It is on Walton Way near ARC.

dani
dani 11/23/10 - 08:03 pm
The pot hole in front of my

The pot hole in front of my house is back, the gravel they "fixed" it with has disappeared, but I won't tell. It slows the speeders that take a short cut down this narrow little street.