Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

STOP THE RICHMOND County Christmas party. If it was for the county employees, that would be good, but it's not. A lot of county employees stopped going because outsiders were taking over. Say, you have 100 employees come to the party. They bring one guest, which makes 200 people, but 500 people showed up at the party! Why? Because people that do not go give their tickets to others. An employee may pick up two or three more tickets and give them to family, neighbors and friends. The next thing you know, you have more nonemployees at the party than you do employees.

A BIG RAVE to your Bill Kirby. I thought I was the only one that hit the mute button during sporting events. Sports announcers are very irritating. Thank you, Bill.

SO SORRY TO HEAR about another animal being killed on Belair Road again. It can happen on any road in Columbia County, Richmond County, but it's still sad. People, we've got to be more careful, and we have to watch over our pets better. We can't let them run loose. If we let them out, we got to stay with them or we got to walk them on leashes or keep them in fenced in areas. We let them out and let them go on their own, they may not come back home.

WHAT'S WITH ALL of the ranters complaining about people running over cats in the road? Isn't the problem the cats actually being in the road? There needs to be a leash law for all animals. I'm tired of cats and dogs running out in front of me, especially when I'm on my motorcycle.

I HAVE TO LAUGH every time I see a college football coach flanked by three middle-aged, overweight highway patrolmen trot to midfield after a game. I played college football 50 years ago, and you didn't see Bobby Dodd or Wally Butts with armed protection during a game. Today, if one these multimillion-dollar coaching divas needs protection, let a couple of the 300-pound players who can bench 500 pounds stay at his side; and put the police back on the streets directing traffic where they belong.

A BIG RAVE for Frank Roberson, the new Richmond County school superintendent, for raising expectations for school performance. It's now up to the teachers and parents to make this goal a reality. It's only a matter of time before the naysayers, the unions and the "it can't be done" crowd come out of the woodwork, but don't listen to them this time.

THIS IS A RAVE to the University Health Care System for putting on the Diabetes Expo at the Warren Baptist Church. It was well organized, and the presentations by the doctors were first class. Thank you for educating us on this important topic.

Tell us what you think
mable8
mable8 11/22/10 - 01:24 am
"WHY IS A STRIP SEARCH

"WHY IS A STRIP SEARCH without probable cause a violation of the 4th Amendment everywhere except our nation's airports?" Because the big O and his czars believe they are above the law and Napolitano says TSA has the right to do so. However, TSA bullies remain silent about having negated sexual assault laws; with this invasive "search," may as well not have any and let the convicted felons out of prison.

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/22/10 - 01:28 am
Yet it's people mable who'd

Yet it's people mable who'd be the first to complain if another 9/11 happened because security precautions weren't tight enough....*sighs*

kareyclark
kareyclark 11/22/10 - 03:26 am
RE: THE CRIME IN AUGUSTA is

RE: THE CRIME IN AUGUSTA is getting so crazy that maybe Ronnie Strength might need to call Fort Gordon for backup.

Not an option. The Governor would have to declare an emergency; then order the National Guard to assist. In my opinion, Sheriff Strength should sue the Augusta/Richmond County Commissioners and City Administrator for cutting the Sheriff's Office budget, furloughing
his Deputies, and not providing the necessary equipment and manpower. It's hard to fight the area crime if you don't have the resources.

bclicious
bclicious 11/22/10 - 08:31 am
WHY IS A STRIP SEARCH without

Because it falls under an administrative search.

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/22/10 - 08:39 am
How about because the

How about because the subjects "volunteered" for it at airports by choosing to fly commercial aircraft and refusing a body scan?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/22/10 - 09:53 am
What's going on at the

What's going on at the airports is that they are trying to keep us SAFE. With all the terrorists out there looking for holes in the system- it's necessary for these body scans and body searches. If you don't want to be searched or scanned- then get in a car and drive yourself- you are not being forced to fly.

charlie marlow
charlie marlow 11/22/10 - 09:56 am
How much more will people be

How much more will people be complaining if another terrorist strike turns out to be successful despite the TSA groping policies? Recall that the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber made it onto planes with little trouble.

Honestly, I am more worried about being killed at the security checkpoint where there are just as many people huddled together as would be on a plane. We have armed pilots with locked doors now. The terrorists aren't likely to take the plane, so their aim would be to kill people. The next time you are standing around with your shoes off waiting to be groped, look around at how many people are there.

charlie marlow
charlie marlow 11/22/10 - 09:57 am
Yes, they have to keep us

Yes, they have to keep us safe from the boogey men... umm... terrorists...

tmyboy6988
tmyboy6988 11/22/10 - 10:17 am
The search at the is airport

The search at the is airport does not fall under the fourth amendment because you give this right up when you buy your ticket. You know that the search is being required when you go to the airport. If you do not want to be searched find another way to travel. You can drive, or take the bus or a train, the airlines are not the only way to travel. You don't hear anyone complaining about being searched at concerts or any other event at the James Brown Arena, that's because you know they search at sporting events, and you do want they say or you dont go in. I feel that if they are searching at sporting events, then I want my airports searched too, and to be more strict cause they deal with more people every day.

charlie marlow
charlie marlow 11/22/10 - 10:28 am
They grope people and perform

They grope people and perform electronic strip searches at James Brown Arena?

I remember when we used to shake our heads with sadness when watching the communists demanding, "Papers, please", at checkpoints.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/22/10 - 10:46 am
I don't even remember going

I don't even remember going through metal detector at JBA.

countyman
20138
countyman 11/22/10 - 10:58 am
The Blue Horse Bistro and

The Blue Horse Bistro and Jazz Club is back open downtown. The building with the famous blue horse standing outside.

Onethingreal
Onethingreal 11/22/10 - 11:11 am
Search me anyway you want -

Search me anyway you want - question anything I have, but please get my flight where its going safely and timely.

dani
dani 11/22/10 - 11:17 am
Hillary said on "Meet the

Hillary said on "Meet the Press" that she would not agree to a "pat down".
I actually liked that.

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/22/10 - 11:27 am
dani - I don't know exactly

dani - I don't know exactly what they pay, but they don't have enough money to pay me to pat down Hillary.

dani
dani 11/22/10 - 11:30 am
LOL...Gator

LOL...Gator

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/22/10 - 11:32 am
Thomson is

Thomson is right..PROFILE-PROFILE...forget pc...dang it..

Barnwell will get 200 paper factory jobs......please reward them & BUY their products....the tide is turning & it's about time!!

vet....ya dang tooting A+ beats B+ :o)

usafvet
usafvet 11/22/10 - 11:34 am
Apparently Hillarious

Apparently Hillarious wouldn't let old Bill pat her down either. And she may be the only female in arm's distance that didn't get the pat down. One thing about old bill, he had the pat down down pat. Here, please moisten my cigar.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/22/10 - 11:35 am
CGEE is back in the saddle

CGEE is back in the saddle again.....puter fixed!!

just for ya CGEEEEE..

charlie marlow
charlie marlow 11/22/10 - 11:40 am
The politicians are exempt

The politicians are exempt from the groping. On the few occasions any of them fly commercially, they get to walk past the plebeians and the security line.

Can somebody please explain how making me walk through security with my socks off, groping me, or subjecting me to X-Rays to see my willy makes me any safer? That is the false dichotomy that has been thrown in here several times. We have to subject ourselves to this abuse at the hands of our government overlords or planes will be falling from the sky everywhere.

charlie marlow
charlie marlow 11/22/10 - 11:41 am
While I am not for profiling,

While I am not for profiling, in general, I will say that, if a terrorist makes it to the airport, he's already won. All he has to do is detonate his explosive if he feels he is going to get caught before getting on the plane to kill more people than are likely to be on the plane.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/22/10 - 11:56 am
Well the terror group has won

Well the terror group has won one thing they have wanted....we are now spending millions of $$$$ to protect ourselves in every way...not only us BUT every other country.....just a few threats on tv (by them) & we jumped through hoops trying to out guess them.....& still have folks worried about TORTURE----what do you call what they are doing to us??

Now some won't like what I'm saying here...BUT if we had a few
PUBLIC BEATINGS & PUBLIC KILLINGS---we might be able to change the tide.....we are dealing with idiots that will cut heads off without blinking & we are trying to be pc & polite...give me a BREAK!

happychimer
happychimer 11/22/10 - 12:05 pm
Hillary did not say she wpuld

Hillary did not say she wpuld refuse a pat down. This is what she said...She, for one, wouldn't like to submit to a security pat-down.

"Not if I could avoid it. No. I mean, who would?" Clinton told CBS' "Face the Nation.

StartingOver
StartingOver 11/22/10 - 12:07 pm
What will they do when

What will they do when groping an older person wearing Depends?

StartingOver
StartingOver 11/22/10 - 12:09 pm
Do a Google map

Do a Google map search--directions from the continental US to China... includes kayaking across the Pacific with a rest stop in Hawaii. No planes involved!

dani
dani 11/22/10 - 12:37 pm
Hillary made the rounds

Hillary made the rounds yesterday. Fox News Sunday, Meet the Press, and Face the Nation but claims she is not in the running for 2012.

AWyld1
AWyld1 11/22/10 - 01:03 pm
If flying naked would ensure

If flying naked would ensure that I wouldn't have to worry about having my plane turned into a jihad missile I'm all for it...somes things while not popular or pleasant are necessary...

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/22/10 - 01:11 pm
"Any society that would give

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

Benjamin Franklin

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/22/10 - 01:16 pm
Anyone caught with explosives

Anyone caught with explosives on their body will be shot at the airport in front of everyone......how does that work for you RK?

I think they would re-think.....I for one would check my body & make sure NO ONE had put explosives on me.