Runaway teen might have written Facebook post

The runaway daughter of Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean apparently posted on her Facebook page Thursday that she was still in Mexico, was safe and wanted to quell rumors about her father.

Marlin Dean was found in Mexico on Nov. 2 but has not returned home.   Special
Special
Marlin Dean was found in Mexico on Nov. 2 but has not returned home.

The message was posted on Marlin "Lilly" Dean's Facebook wall about 5 p.m. EST Thursday. It said she missed everyone, especially her sisters, and asked for forgiveness regarding the manner in which she left the area.

On Nov. 2, the Columbia County Sheriff's Office said the teen had been found in Mexico, was safe and was expected to return to her Harlem home the following week.

Sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris had refused to provide details of where and when Marlin had been found or whether she was with anyone.

The 17-year-old was last seen locally Oct. 19 near Augusta Mall.

Marlin is the oldest of five siblings from Guatemala who were adopted by Scott and Renee Dean in 2008.

On Oct. 27, four children were removed from the Deans' Harlem home by a Division of Family and Children Services caseworker and later released to a family member.

Officials have refused to discuss why the children were removed, but Dean issued a statement that DFCS was called in to assist in the search for Marlin.

Dean also said that "allegations, insinuations and lies were leaked to the media" that caused "irreparable harm" to his family.

Marlin's latest Facebook post apparently addressed those allegations.

"Please don't believe what they are saying about my dad, cuz ITS NOT TRUE, he is the best daddy i ever had," the post read.

A follow-up message read:

"Daddy im sorry, like i told you u are the best, let me tell yall he didnt do all those things that the news are saying ... please dont believe bad things hapened to me, and i choose to write this on facebook cuz that way all yall can know."

Morris wrote in an e-mail that he was aware of the post but did not want to comment further.

For nearly a month, there has been no activity on Marlin's Facebook page.

Before Tuesday, the last message posted on her wall was typed in Spanish to her sister, Sindy, on Oct. 22 -- three days after she was reported missing.

The message translated as: "Hello Sindy, I'm fine ... take much care and call me when you can or (text me)."

On Nov. 2, Columbia County voters re-elected Dean to the District 4 commission seat. He was unopposed in the general election.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/19/10 - 05:26 pm
I suppose she's in Mexico on

I suppose she's in Mexico on a "tourist" visa. They say that the Mexicans don't cotton well to illegal immigrants to their country.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 11/19/10 - 06:33 pm
Post while you can- someone

Post while you can- someone will be offended and the comments will be closed.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 11/19/10 - 06:44 pm
Actually I can sympathize

Actually I can sympathize with this family concerning adopted kids. My 22 yr old packed up and walked out on us for her estranged father after 10 yrs. I caution anyone considering adoption to realize this is a possibility.

1313 11/19/10 - 07:03 pm
cuz?, yall?- this girl must

cuz?, yall?- this girl must have been from "Southern" Guatemala.

scoobynews
scoobynews 11/19/10 - 10:00 pm
Sorry to tell you 1313 but

Sorry to tell you 1313 but this is how these kids talk now. I don't even get shocked anymore when I see cuz on a paper anymore. I showed my students a clip the other day of Diane Sawyer in China. She reported that they learn english as early as first grade and the students she interviewed in 3rd were fairly fluent. The high school kids she interviewed spoke better english than our kids do here. Sad but true. As for the Dean situation I have no idea what would cause this girl to run off other than a boy. Why else would she be in Mexico? If she is smart enough to get herself to another country then she was smart enough to call DFACS if something was going on.

bclicious
bclicious 11/20/10 - 08:23 am
So which is it? Is she safe

So which is it? Is she safe and sound in Mexico or is she enroute to Harlem, GA? Also, Marlin stated "she wanted to quell rumors about her father" What rumors did she quell in this article.

Is there a point to this article?

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 11/20/10 - 09:03 am
And what happened to the

And what happened to the children that were taken from the home? Why were they taken so fast out of the home? To bad DFACS couldn't get the 2 Beasley boys out of that abusive home before they were seriously hurt!
AC reports a story and then says no more! Why???

bettyboop
bettyboop 11/20/10 - 09:27 am
Kids talk like that because

Kids talk like that because they are apeing others....if you teach them they will learn.

belle
belle 11/20/10 - 10:54 am
1313....exactly what I was

1313....exactly what I was thinking. Has she been in the U.S. long enough to pick up such a heavy accent that she would actually type it in??

bitsofglass
bitsofglass 11/20/10 - 11:04 am
If Dean is such a "wonderful"

If Dean is such a "wonderful" father, why is she still in Mexico?

mybaskett
mybaskett 11/20/10 - 11:30 am
Channel 26 news did an

Channel 26 news did an interview with this young lady. She is not planning on coming back home until she turns 18. She says her adopted mom is the problem. But this still does not say why the other children were taken from the home. I agree with one of the other posts. Post quickly or you will not be able to post at all.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/20/10 - 12:14 pm
Government agencies DO make

Government agencies DO make mistakes. What people should know is that the CHILDREN are the ones to suffer in cases like this. This sounds like a case of slander to me, especially right before an election.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/20/10 - 12:21 pm
mybaskett wrote: She is not

mybaskett wrote:

She is not planning on coming back home until she turns 18.

Hmmm. I guess my original post at the top of this page (about her saying she was a "tourist" in order to enter Mexico) was wrong then. Is she in Mexico legally?

hereinaugusta
hereinaugusta 03/02/11 - 06:33 pm
patty-p! AMEN TO THAT

patty-p! AMEN TO THAT

hereinaugusta
hereinaugusta 03/02/11 - 06:35 pm
They get to come and go as

They get to come and go as they please on our borders.