Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

BIG RAVE and thanks go out to law enforcement for getting one of the drug dealers off of Alden Drive. The drugs and stealing had gone on far too long. People in this community deserve to live in peace. Keep up the great work!

HOW MANY taxpayers know that DFCS employees are terminated for reporting foodstamp fraud? Taxpayers, your money is being wasted and it's by more people than you think.

THERE IS NOW a royal engagement. Big deal. They've been living together for years.

FRESHMEN congressmen are being taught "ethics" by the incumbents. What?

THE U.S. government owns General Motors Corp. Now our government plans to sell new stock in the company. Anybody stupid enough to partner with the U.S. government deserves to lose.

THE COLUMBIA County Amphitheater at the Town Center Park should be called "Ryan Clark Memorial Amphitheater." Ryan was from Columbia County, was a musician and was a hero who died trying to save others.

SENATORS SAXBY and Isakson claim to be against earmarks while at the same time being for them. If you want to hold elective office, first you must be an expert at double talk.

A PATHETIC RANTER calls opposers of Obama "ignorant" and "untrained." When an American visits abroad, he has no duty to bow to anybody, and that certainly goes for a U.S. president. Has that ranter even been abroad, or did he get his education from Saturday morning TV? It is NEVER correct for a U.S. president to bow to anybody but to the American people; and Obama has NEVER bowed to us.

SCREENINGS AND pat downs at airports are necessary for the safety of all passengers. Here's one old boy that would go naked if it would help secure the plane. And I'm sure that others feel the same way. We need the screening and we need the pat downs.

KEEP YOUR PETS out of the road! I had two dogs run out in front of me while on my motorcycle this morning. I wonder if the dogs' owner would pay my medical bills if I hit it and lost control of my motorcycle.

Tell us what you think
overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/18/10 - 07:06 am
Although I like Lady

Although I like Lady Antebellum's music and recognize that they are a big ticket item in country music I have to agree that Columbia County would be better off naming the amphitheater after Ryan Clark.

Even though Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood are, by all reported accounts, down to earth nice guys, celebrity by itself does not rise to the level of this honor bestowed upon them. I think the commission and Ron Cross gave in a little too easily to the feeding frenzy that accompanies rising stars.

JustMe
JustMe 11/18/10 - 08:42 am
GM Launching IPO, Ending

GM Launching IPO, Ending Government Majority Stake - Money News ...Nov 16, 2010 ... Gov't To End Role As Majority Shareholder On Thursday ... When the U.S. government and other owners sell their shares, they'll raise $18.2 billion. Ummm sounds to me as you won't be partners with the US government.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 11/18/10 - 08:57 am
If Obama's bowing were the

If Obama's bowing were the only thing to complain about ,I'd say big deal,but it's not. The only bowing I'd like to see him do, is Bow out in 2012, now thats a bow everyone can agree on, Well not everyone, but most.

Cadence
Cadence 11/18/10 - 09:19 am
I'm sorry about your mom,

I'm sorry about your mom, speed bump ranter. I hope that she recovered well.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/18/10 - 09:25 am
"SCREENINGS AND pat downs at

"SCREENINGS AND pat downs at airports are necessary for the safety of all passengers"

Not really. Neither the scans nor the pat downs will detect PETN in a body cavity, which is a method that has already been used once by the terrorist. El Al has primarily used profiling as their screening method for many years and has not had an incident. There are other and better ways if we killed Politically Correct and started doing things that made sense instead of feeling up 3 year olds and grandma.

corgimom
corgimom 11/18/10 - 09:29 am
"RANT TO Columbia County for

"RANT TO Columbia County for putting a ridiculous amount of speed bumps in areas that never needed them in the first place. My mom had a stroke and we had to call 911. According to the ambulance driver, it took 5 extra minutes to get to the back of the neighborhood because they can't go more than 5 mph over those speed bumps. Apparently, it'll ruin the ambulance and cause all of the supplies in the back to fall everywhere. Then they had to get back out of the neighborhood which wasted another 5 minutes. That's a total of 10 minutes wasted just going through the neighborhood. They need to be removed! Totally a safety issue and complete waste of taxpayer dollars."

Ever heard of "the greater majority", "for the common good", and "it's not all about you"?

I hope your mother has a quick and full recovery.

If you want to blame anybody, blame the drivers that don't follow traffic laws.

But according to your logic, the ambulance drivers had to slow down at traffic lights and stop signs, so let's get rid of them too.

strib1
strib1 11/18/10 - 09:33 am
nice to know everyone on

nice to know everyone on plane is cleared! might even take a nap

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 11/18/10 - 09:58 am
I guess you can't please

I guess you can't please everybody, If another 911 were to happen because of laxed screening, then what? Now because some little girl was terrified about screenign they are exempting all children under 12 from pat downs, with that being said, if some bomber plants something on a child, then what??

Motley
Motley 11/18/10 - 10:05 am
If Columbia County would put

If Columbia County would put a special tax on neighborhoods for puting in speed humps we would not have to put up with many new ones.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/18/10 - 10:15 am
Speed bumps and airport

Speed bumps and airport screenings have a lot in common. They are both a result of our current mentality of making everyone's life miserable instead of concentrating on catching the bad guys. We punish ourselves in the name of feeling safe when it reality we are the only ones inconvenienced. Screenings did not stop the shoe bomber or the underwear bomber and speed bumps only slow the speeders between the bumps. I assure you that when the speeders leave your speed bump neighborhood they put someone else's life in danger because they are now both agitated and late.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/18/10 - 10:26 am
How many government-owned

How many government-owned facilities in Macon are named after the Allman Brothers?

For that matter, how many government-owned facilities are named after Little Richard or Otis Redding?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/18/10 - 10:19 am
Fired for ratting out

Fired for ratting out foodstamp crooks..SAY WHAT!!!
Give us more info. about that please.....maybe something can be done about it...
Good am Augusta.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/18/10 - 10:28 am
I did notice that I-185 in

I did notice that I-185 in west Georgia is named after Chet Atkins.

usafvet
usafvet 11/18/10 - 10:29 am
Seenit, I would bet that an

Seenit, I would bet that an inept employee has been fired for other reasons and only then had the "guts" to rat someone out. You can bet that said employee didn't rat out any of their family or friends.

usafvet
usafvet 11/18/10 - 10:31 am
Has anyone other than myself

Has anyone other than myself noticed that in some cities they name a street after martin luther king?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/18/10 - 10:38 am
Yes, Vet, but at least they

Yes, Vet, but at least they named the street after Martin Luther King after he died. It's not a good idea to name government facilities after the living.

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/18/10 - 10:43 am
Like the Jessye Norman

Like the Jessye Norman Amphitheater?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/18/10 - 10:50 am
Now I am scared. I agree

Now I am scared. I agree completely with Corgi. How are you today?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/18/10 - 10:51 am
Exactly, Gator.

Exactly, Gator.

usafvet
usafvet 11/18/10 - 10:53 am
Careful RK. If that persists,

Careful RK. If that persists, take two aspirins, don't drive for awhile and check future posts. This one could be the "hoax". If you agree with more than two, park the rig, get a fifth, take something stronger than aspirin, and enjoy the "trip".

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/18/10 - 11:10 am
vet & rk...don't make me play

vet & rk...don't make me play that bad boy video again......corgi has a side I like too.....lol....
She can take a lot of flak & keep on ticking....that's for sure!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/18/10 - 11:12 am

This is better for our nerves today... Easy Loving..for RK & Vet.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/18/10 - 11:19 am
To tell the truth, then I

To tell the truth, then I suppose an MRI would be acceptable to search body cavities. Or should that be part of the pat down process?

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 11/18/10 - 11:33 am
dear ranter#5, i guess you

dear ranter#5, i guess you was asleep during that business class, owning stock is not a partnership. what gm is doing is divesting itself of ownership...a stock is part ownership of that corporation, so tell me ranter#5 when the gov't sells the remaining 30% then what..BTW what was you opinion when the gov't bailed out chrysler??? did you complain, or how about when W, along with hank paulson (you know the ex-CEO of goldman sachs) got the bail out money for goldman and aig????. i am not saying i agree with the bailout i myself would have waited until gm was near default and collapse forcing them to break the UAW then stepped in and helped them. but you fail to, or don't want to realize that bailing out gm just might work

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/18/10 - 12:09 pm
BCG
BCG 11/18/10 - 01:09 pm
Seenit I am with you... Gov.

Seenit I am with you... Gov. Christie for president sounds like the choice! I would vote for him.
And as far as the rant for the speed bumps they are needed. I lived in a neighborhood that many people were seriously hurt coming out of there own yard by speeders... visual blockage kept them from seeing the drivers who just don't care. There could be some changes to the extent of the bumps but they are needed, and while I am at it why???? do we not have ambulances that can hold up to anything. They have to go any where so they so be able to go anywhere!!!
The rant about the DCFS worker being fired ... Scott Hudson, there is a good investigative report that calls for your skill.

justfred
justfred 11/18/10 - 01:46 pm
I just had a really fun

I just had a really fun thought. Why don't we all protest the body scanners & pat downs at the airport by just showing up nekkid. I know that seems a little cruel to the TSA workers but....no pun intended...thay ain't exactly giving us the warm & fuzzies right now

dani
dani 11/18/10 - 03:57 pm
fred...Then you would be

fred...Then you would be arrested for indecent exposure..I don't see them playing fair when they can go through search and seizure without any reasonable cause. We are in deep, deep....never mind.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 11/18/10 - 04:07 pm
Ranter #10 - this old boy has

Ranter #10 - this old boy has decided to just not fly anywhere until TSA gets it together. I'm not going to stand by and let some government stooge cop a feel on my wife in the name of security. It's outrageous.

corgimom
corgimom 11/18/10 - 05:05 pm
How many of you have had a

How many of you have had a body scan at an airport?

I have. It was, and is, no big deal.

How many of you have been patted down at an airport? I've lost count. It was, and is, no big deal. However, I've gotten patted down at a courthouse before, and I didn't freak out then, either.

Honest to God, some people just aren't happy unless they are unhappy about something.