Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

ANOTHER ANIMAL HIT on Belair Road. Not mine this time, but our neighbors' dog. The cars that were trying to avoid hitting the dog's body were honked at by other drivers, who ran over and over the dog. As my husband was moving the poor dog's body out of the road he was almost hit. There is a major speeding problem on Belair (right after Wrightsboro). I am really sick of it and will be harassing the police department to start monitoring and ticketing these drivers. I don't need a radar gun to know that these cars are going well over the posted 40 mph.

JUST WANT TO RANT about female clerks at grocery stores and Kmart giving discounts to men who are not senior citizens and bonus points to some and not others.

MOST OF TODAY'S federal government is unconstitutional, thus it is illegal; and the professional politicians keep piling on more. Even now, the Republican incumbents talk about "not raising taxes," when they should be talking about cutting taxes, cutting spending and cutting government size down to no more than 20% of its present size. Americans are finally waking up. Soon, one hopes, it will no longer be possible to make a career out of office-holding.

RANTS TO LOCAL commissioners, you mean nobody in the area can fix a stupid clock? I don't think they really asked any further than their buddies. Give it to a German. They can make or repair anything.

WHO ARE THESE untrained, ignorant ranters who think it is kowtowing in any way to show respect by bowing in certain countries or to certain people? When you visit abroad and are properly educated to the customs of the lands visited, you behave in a civilized way as they do. People need a real life if they can only ridicule our president when he does the correct thing.

A RANT FOR the McDuffie County Roads crew for apparently subcontracting out the filling of a 2-foot-wide, 6-inch-deep pothole. The first repair/patch lasted about two weeks. This time, the pothole is now a 2-foot-wide, 6-inch-high "speed bump."

RAVE TO GOLDEN Corral on Bobby Jones for providing meals for area veterans and active duty personnel. Rave to Greenbrier High School Junior NROTC for assisting at Golden Corral. Rant to those wannabe veterans who were not veterans.

RANT FOR THE TSA. When body scanners were proposed, I cautioned all that the images would be leaked and everyone said it was worth it for security. Just Google "One Hundred Naked Citizens" to see the first big leak. An Indian actor's body scan was recently saved and sold. This is a very bad thing for privacy; our most personal images are in the hands of the government and, even scarier, sadistic government employees.

Tell us what you think
GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/17/10 - 05:30 am
#1 - It's time to start

#1 - It's time to start giving citations/tickets to the irresponsible pet owners on Belair Rd. This is turning in to a serious safety issue.

corgimom
corgimom 11/17/10 - 05:21 am
If someone wants to sell a

If someone wants to sell a picture of my skeleton going through a body scanner, that works for me.

This is the biggest NON-issue.

corgimom
corgimom 11/17/10 - 05:23 am
To the people on Belair Rd-

To the people on Belair Rd- keep your pets inside your yard, then you won't have to worry about them being hit. You know, as in using common sense.

carcraft
carcraft 11/17/10 - 05:36 am
corgimom-It is more than a

corgimom-It is more than a seleton image, can we say bikini with out the cloth! Think of the female sports broadcaster whose picture was taken through a key hole!

corgimom
corgimom 11/17/10 - 06:11 am
I've had a body scan done on

I've had a body scan done on me. It's a non-issue.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/17/10 - 06:26 am
Of course, it is a huge

Of course, it is a huge issue. A little common sense would go a long way, but then again, we are talking about the gov't. Scanning Pilots and Flight Attendants is silly. I am pretty sure if a Pilot decides to crash his plane, no amount of intrusion into his privacy is going to stop him. Padding down 3 yr olds?? A little profiling would go a long way.

sdrwtcn
sdrwtcn 11/17/10 - 06:30 am
Good morning happy crew!

Good morning happy crew!

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/17/10 - 07:01 am
Why is tax evasion a crime

Why is tax evasion a crime for citizens and a "rules violation" for congress?

felix73
felix73 11/17/10 - 07:22 am
GoGators, you are absolutely

GoGators, you are absolutely right as well, but sometimes peoples pets get loose. People have to go to work & can't always locate their pet. Drivers see brake lights in front of them, they need to slow down. My husband was out there trying to remove the body, to prevent any accidents and was met with honking and rude gestures. I feel really bad for the children that lost their dog, I live with the fact that I lost 2 of my precious cats everyday. I do NOT let any of my animals out anymore. That still doesn't change the fact that people need to slow down on this stretch of Belair road.

DreamBig
DreamBig 11/17/10 - 07:22 am
It's because it's

It's because it's Kmart....they have the worst trained employees I have ever seen work anywhere. Poor customer service issues.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/10 - 08:18 am
Bowing might be the custom in

Bowing might be the custom in another country....hey just like saluting the flag here?? Maybe just putting the hand across the heart......it looks strange when O doesn't do either.

dani
dani 11/17/10 - 08:26 am
Rant 5..This is America, the

Rant 5..This is America, the land of the free. You won't find many Americans who are of the servant mentality. We don't bow to our own president and nor should we. You can call us ignorant and untrained but we try to see others as our equal...

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 11/17/10 - 08:33 am
If your skeleton is the only

If your skeleton is the only thing that shows up on a body scan, you might want to head back to the food court.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/10 - 08:36 am

Oh the games people play.....
I think the scan shows just a little bit more than bones....just saying..

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/10 - 08:42 am
TO ICL... My words didn't

TO ICL...
My words didn't come out just like I meant...my bad..
You need not be alarmed because I too think you are a very intelligent poster......coming out of nowhere meant YOU took up for me on here at times when I needed support......corgi has also done this...we may not always agree (who does) but I do enjoy your posts ...
:) Goodness knows, at times I have really needed some backup!

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/17/10 - 09:44 am
Thanks seenitb4.....just had

Thanks seenitb4.....just had me a little worried. Glad we're back on the same page........:)

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/17/10 - 09:53 am
GoGator, that was a wonderful

GoGator, that was a wonderful answer!

What difference does it make if an animal gets run over while doing 30 mph or 50 mph? The results are the same. If the pet owners control their animals and keep them out of the streets then the entire problem becomes moot. No animals in the road, no animals get hit. Owners are responsible for the safety of their pets and responsible for the publics safety from their pets. The public shouldn't have to worry about getting bitten by a loose dog or swerve and wreck because of a dog/cat/squirrel/bird, etc in the road. Drivers going about their business should not be held accountable for inattentive pet owners not being able to contain their pets. Pet owners, accept your responsibility and stop expecting drivers to pick up your slack.

felix73
felix73 11/17/10 - 10:05 am
Rolling eyes, I don't hold

Rolling eyes, I don't hold the driver solely accountable for hitting the dog, or my cats for that matter. It was my fault for not being able to find my cats before leaving for the day. It was the dog owners fault for not making sure their dog could not get out. Animals are very persistent and do sometimes get out of yards or houses. I am upset at the drivers who SPEED. I saw the dog was loose & went to go notify the neighbors and watched the SPEEDING car hit the dog, saw the other cars slow down, saw the cars honking at the drivers for slowing down. Watched the rude gestures and honking at my husband for pulling the dogs body out of the road. You guys were not there, I was. Drivers DO speed, animals do get out, etc. I am sick of the speeding. Period. No one is telling the "drivers to pick up our slack".

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/17/10 - 10:16 am
Speeders and rude people

Speeders and rude people exist everywhere and not just on your street. I have animals and have taken steps to ensure their safety because I'm a responsible pet owner. My five year old cats have never once escaped our house. We installed door closers on our outside doors which snap shut fast as a snapping turtle. This keeps my cats safe from getting in the way of speeders.....

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/17/10 - 10:17 am
... Or even people driving

... Or even people driving the speed limit.

usafvet
usafvet 11/17/10 - 10:32 am
From a person who thinks it

From a person who thinks it is terrible for a mother to bring a young boy in a ladies room to protect him from child molesters or kidnappers, but sees no problem with intrusions of ones body that are apparently revealing enough to pick out warts or hairs or..... That child may see me adjusting my garter belt......If the kid did witness it he would probably say to mama, "that's just like those things that Great Granny wears. "Choke on a gnat, swallow an elephant."

usafvet
usafvet 11/17/10 - 10:34 am
OK seenit and eyes, back to

OK seenit and eyes, back to the other site before I get another post jerked.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/10 - 10:46 am

For you vet....watcha gonna do when they come for you.....LOL

felix73
felix73 11/17/10 - 10:47 am
Glad to hear that you have

Glad to hear that you have ensured the safety of your kitties. Yes, there are speeders and rude people everywhere, not just here. I refuse to sit here and do nothing about it, though. I AM a responsible pet owner, accidents do happen. I have worked with animals for many years, at vets offices and I rehabilitate wildlife. This is the first time I have ever lost an animal due to a car. It was devastating & as I said before my little four legged babies are under house arrest. Permanently. I still have a beef with the jerks who speed. I don't want the next victim to be a child going out to check their mail or walking to a neighbors house.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/17/10 - 10:47 am
Usafvet, you ole trouble

Usafvet, you ole trouble maker! LOL!!!

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/17/10 - 10:58 am
Felix, losing 2 pets so

Felix, losing 2 pets so closely together due to the same reason must be very upsetting and I'm glad to see that you're now taking positive steps to keep your other cat safe. Hopefully, you'll be as successful as I've been.

PS, as with pet owners, its up to adults to keep their children safe from 'speeders'.

felix73
felix73 11/17/10 - 11:08 am
Agree with you about adults

Agree with you about adults being responsible for their kiddos safety. I wont even let the busdriver let my kiddo out on the other side of the street. I have read too many horror stories about cars ignoring the stopped bus and driving around it. This mom is not taking any chances! Especially on this road. Hope everyone here has a wonderful day! I'm out. :)

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 11/17/10 - 11:30 am
I'm more worried about what

I'm more worried about what kind of radiation and other health hazards we're being exposed to than what people my think of my underwear.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 11/17/10 - 11:36 am
Regardless if it's a deer, a

Regardless if it's a deer, a pet, a child, or a man on a bicycle who's at risk, speeding is against the law. If you're doing it, don't complain if someone ensures you get a ticket. Don't speed and you'll have nothing to worry about.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 11/17/10 - 11:37 am
corgimom, it is not just a

corgimom, it is not just a skeleton. If that is all it was, no one would be complaining. It is quite revealing, but most frequent flyers and airplane staff are also concerned about the health hazards from repeated use.