Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers.

CONGRATS ON THE latest GOP win. So here is the deal: Let's never raise taxes, improve the armed forces, have to keep government out of my way. Still have to have my Social Security and my Medicare (nobody but mine,) Keep tax cuts, lower the debt, Increase jobs and repeal health care. And above all -- stay tuned to Rush Limbaugh. How does that happen? We have no idea.

RANTS TO THE CHRONICLE for turning the comments section into an "I am OK, you are OK, everybody be nice section." I have noticed lately there are far fewer posters and far fewer opinions actually expressed for fear of being banned until you consent to the demands of the all-high censor.

A RANT FOR parents that call the sheriff's office because they have a child that won't do what they tell them. People, please. The police have a lot more important things to worry about than raising your children! If you can't discipline your children, then you have no business being a parent! The police are protectors and peacekeepers, not baby sitters!

THIS IS A RAVE for Councilmen John Thigpen and the Rev. Rudolph Dixon. Congrats on winning the election in Harlem and on defeating Melanie Daphie. The voters of Harlem have spoken, and the citizens look forward to your continued quality leadership as Harlem moves into its golden years.

RANTS TO THE Richmond County roads department. What is so wrong with Wrightsboro Road that it has to wait so long before it is repaved? I mean there are parts that will beat you to death, and dips by the airport that will lift your tires off the ground and send your head to the roof! I believe every road close by has been paved already. Does it have a curse or something?

WANTED TO THANK THE people that were driving in front of me on Brown Road in Hephzibah on Nov. 5, who without regard ran over a black and white cat. You looked in your rear view mirror after running the cat over seeing the animal flipping in the air and rolling in the street. Though the cat didn't die immediately, I sat with it as it passed. Shame on you. If I didn't care about the cat, I would have focused on your tag number and reported this incident.

IT IS TIME FOR us to call it like it is about the former principal, Ms. Beasley. Lucy Laney High school should not be blamed for her placement at the school. Since she has been exposed and shown that she was incompetent to get the job done, now she has been promoted to a higher position to further destroy our children. Why do we continue to reward incompetence? We can no longer place companionship/friendship ahead of our children's future. The best person for the job should override friendship. Dr. Mason, we are looking for great things. We know that you will go beyond the call of duty.

Tell us what you think
PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 11/09/10 - 01:12 am

Thank you for sitting with that poor cat. I would very much like to comment what I think should happen to the idiot that ran over the cat but I best not . What heartless ...................

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/09/10 - 04:11 am
It's too bad about the poor

It's too bad about the poor cat, and I also blame the cats owner. There needs to be a leash law for cats too. I hate that the cat suffered, and wonder if the cat had any I.D.to identify the negligent owner.

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 11/09/10 - 04:42 am
Did the driver go out of

Did the driver go out of their way to hit the cat? Did it have a collar on or was it feral? Did it have rabies? Was traffic heavy or light? On the way to/from work? Were there children in the car who might be traumatized by seeing an animal in it's deaththroes? Accidents happen. Best, safest course of action is to keep going and give animal contol a call (but not while driving, as you could run something over).

momster59
momster59 11/09/10 - 05:29 am
Rant #1 - your sarcasm is

Rant #1 - your sarcasm is noted. Also add let's do away with public education, mass transit in large cities, parks and recreation, and instead of keeping Social Security and Medicare, do away with then as they are "socialist" programs and socialism is such a "bad" thing.
Rant #2 - I'm OK with your opinion, but do not agree with it. I will not rise to insult, racism, or attack to express my differing views. I will act in a civil manner and when chastised by Sean for my occasional lapse will welcome the feedback he gives me. Kudos Sean, keep up the good work.
Rant #3 - more info required. Was the child just refusing to do the dishes or was he refusing to give up his drugs, weapons, gang, beating innocent people, running the streets? I managed to raise my children without police involvement but know some people need that intervention.
Rave #4 - glad your candidates won. Personally know Rudolph, he's a good man with a conscience.
Rant #5 - a little physics lesson. If your tires fly off the ground and your head hits the roof then you are driving too fast for the road conditions. But if your car if flying, perhaps it is not cursed, but haunted.
Rant #6 - thank you for seeing to the needs of the cat after it was injured. Sad that the poor thing was in the road. Both the driver and the owner are to blame. (or if feral the owners who did not have their cats spayed/neutered and then allowed them to roam free)
Rant #7 - Worked with Beasley in the past. The risk of ever having to work with her again is the main reason I will not work in RC. She is one of the reasons many excellent teachers left RC. Nepotism reigns in RC BOE.

momster59
momster59 11/09/10 - 05:32 am
Today's weather is supposed

Today's weather is supposed to return to our southern expectations of sunny 75 degrees. Enjoy!

fftaz71
fftaz71 11/09/10 - 06:19 am
I am an adult and I would be

I am an adult and I would be traumatized by killing what very well might be someone else's pet...however, the right thing to do (particularly with children) is to set the example and try to find the animals owner or do what you can for it. Continuing to drive on is only teaching that animals are throw aways and devalues their lives. Most serial killers start out torturing animals...if you want to teach children respect for life, start with the animals.
I am all in favor for a leash law if you are going to let your cat outside...2 of my 3 are leash trained. My third one was a cat someone dumped off last December. She had a collar on until they moved. She disappeared for a day and then came back sans collar...after their Ryder truck showed up at the house for 5 minutes. She wants absolutely nothing to do with the outdoors...if a door opens, she runs away from it...and that is just fine with me. I will never understand opening the door, letting your cat out until later at night..or in some cases, letting the cat out at night and back in during the day. My cats are my babies and I couldnt imagine not knowing where they are.

TeamLoser
TeamLoser 11/09/10 - 06:37 am
I spoke with someone at the

I spoke with someone at the traffic engineering dept a few months back about Wrightsboro rd. The roadbed is damaged so it will need to be torn down and rebuilt, not just a simple paving. They dont have money to do that right now, they do however have money to widen parts of BelAir Rd between Wrightsboro rd (without fixing the intersection of the two) and Dyess parkway.

The county need more important things like a baseball stadium before we can fix problems with major roads.

Waymore
Waymore 11/09/10 - 06:52 am
You would have reported the

You would have reported the cat being hit? And what exactly would you have expected the police to do? And the driver was supposed to stop and go house to house finding the owner? Do you really think that the cat lived a few houses down? You should fault the owner for letting the cat roam. And, I am assuming, not having a tag on the cat.

corgimom
corgimom 11/09/10 - 06:54 am
Rant #6- What would you have

Rant #6- What would you have reported? What law was broken?

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/09/10 - 07:19 am
Does anyone know which 4

Does anyone know which 4 years of hussein's childhood was spent in Indonesia?

sdrwtcn
sdrwtcn 11/09/10 - 07:20 am
You could Knock the crap out

You could Knock the crap out of one of your kids, but then the sheriff would come anyway. Since they tell you how to raise them, you might as well call.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 11/09/10 - 07:21 am
Rant #1- I totally agree with

Rant #1- I totally agree with the sentiment. Good luck with all that!

Rant #2- LOL, The meaner people have been filtered out so good conversation has been going on; I enjoy it!

Rant #3- Amen!! Preach On!!

Rant#4- Unsure about the politics of Harlem, so I'll stay out of it......

Rant #5- Not cursed, just lower on the priority list I guess. It is a very busy road and it will be nightmare to shut and fix on is my only guess.....

Rant #6- Some people are just mean. It will come back to them......

Rant #7- I still don't understand how you fail and get a better job, then I realized, this is the same thing they do some of the more troubled children. They pass them just to be rid of them, so it is the policy. Shameful!

Have a wonderful day CSRA!!!!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 11/09/10 - 07:25 am
According to biography.com

According to biography.com from 1967 to 1971.

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 11/09/10 - 07:25 am
the only thing i've heard

the only thing i've heard lately about parents calling the cops on children was for illegal activity. One case the child set a live chicken on fire, and the other i think was for an illegal tattoo? Now the tattoo, I can see where calling the cops isn't warranted, but if you're child is breaking the law, please call the cops. The same goes for your neighbor, cousin, uncle, etc. From what I hear/read the problem with these violent criminals is no one wants to "snitch". Personally I think Augusta needs more people getting involved and coming forward with information, if they have it. Who knows, calling the police on your child could lead to further arrests, as well as prevent future crime.

justfred
justfred 11/09/10 - 08:02 am
It's a cat....get over it.

It's a cat....get over it. Pets are not people too. Was what the driver did wrong? Sure. I don't see any rants in here every time someone fails to completely stop at a traffic sign, fails to indicate a turn, speeds, litters, etc. If you truly love your pets, that's great. Take care of them and protect them from this type of accident.

Trouble
Trouble 11/09/10 - 08:05 am
i would like to thank the

i would like to thank the driver who hit the cat too, for not swerving into oncoming traffic and causing an accident which could have taken the lives of PEOPLE for a cat whose owner did not care enough about to keep out of the road.....the driver is not at fault here, the owner of the cat is at fault for allowing the cat to roam free, if yall have to blame some one, make it the right person

justfred
justfred 11/09/10 - 08:05 am
Don't we also devalue their

Don't we also devalue their precious little animal lives by cutting their cute little heads off, pulling out all their feathers, viciously cutting them into small pieces and eating them at Popeyes....

Trouble
Trouble 11/09/10 - 08:05 am
morning fred

morning fred

justfred
justfred 11/09/10 - 08:07 am
Trouble...trouble...trouble

Trouble...trouble...trouble been following me since the day I was born

justfred
justfred 11/09/10 - 08:07 am
Morning beautiful

Morning beautiful

Trouble
Trouble 11/09/10 - 08:09 am
borninaug, try listening to

borninaug, try listening to the scanner, seems like there is at least 1 call a morning to the police because a child refuses to go to school........i agree this is a waste of police time and tax payer money, make your own child go to school if you need a baby sitter that badly.....

justfred
justfred 11/09/10 - 08:13 am
Actually ....for

Actually ....for a really great time...grab a coule of blunts and join your kids as they ditch school and have a little fun for a change. Don't you still want to be their best friend???

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/09/10 - 08:17 am
Have you ever tried to pen in

Have you ever tried to pen in a cat?? Ha- They are smarter than you.
When you swerve to miss an animal you sometimes wreck....has happened you know....but I still try to miss them, even a squirrel & Gob yells REALLY loud when I do that!! lol
Does it get too tame on here at times...maybe...but some of them are coming back.....we are all addicts..doncha know!
You need the ying with the yang......too much ying & not enough yang makes a dull movie.....
Good am Augusta...& Cobalt where are you sweet lips.....don't make me begggggg.

Trouble
Trouble 11/09/10 - 08:23 am
i have 2 cats, and both of

i have 2 cats, and both of them are inside cats who never go outside to get ran over, it is easy to pin them up, just dont let them out.......

usafvet
usafvet 11/09/10 - 08:26 am
Ranter #1. Join the ranks of

Ranter #1. Join the ranks of whining democrats. I hope you are one of those that are just so devoted to your party that you let them do your thinking, and not another free loading, entitlement leech. I am very happy that the silent majority ceased waiting and hoping for some sanity and went to the polls to restore some sanity to government. Listening to you liberals whine and seeing the new dumbobama frown is just icing on the cake. GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS AND OUR VETERANS.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/09/10 - 08:28 am
This Simbol(Yin-Yang)

This Simbol(Yin-Yang) represents the ancient Chinese understanding of how things work. The outer circle represents "everything", while the black and white shapes within the circle represent the interaction of two energies, called "yin" (black) and "yang" (white), which cause everything to happen. They are not completely black or white, just as things in life are not completely black or white, and they cannot exist without each other.
While "yin" would be dark, passive, downward, cold, contracting, and weak, "yang" would be bright, active, upward, hot, expanding, and strong. The shape of the yin and yang sections of the symbol, actually gives you a sense of the continual movement of these two energies, yin to yang and yang to yin, causing everything to happen: just as things expand and contract, and temperature changes from hot to cold.

Howdy Trouble......

My daughters cat brings her little love gifts...like a dead lizard & places it on her door stop...he is one you can't pen in.....she gave up.

Trouble
Trouble 11/09/10 - 08:30 am
seenit, that is yet another

seenit, that is yet another reason my cats are not allowed outside, my aunts cat brought her a snake one time

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/09/10 - 08:32 am
Yikes.....a snake I can do

Yikes.....a snake I can do without.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/09/10 - 08:38 am
My sharpeis don't like other

My sharpeis don't like other animals coming in "their" yard....they once killed a skunk & then covered it with pebbles because it smelled so baddd. Once tried a raccoon & & almost got their fannies chewed off...

bettyboop
bettyboop 11/09/10 - 08:39 am
A fine and nippy Good Morning

A fine and nippy Good Morning to all who speak their minds and truly feel that the PC crowd has had a large part of the blame in the way things get done in Augusta and the rest of the Country..........And howdy to seenit and trouble and fred n vet......It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...and thats the plain truth!