Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

All the new Wachovia signs look like you are walking into a Title Pawn shop

How can the price of gas be 31 cents higher in Jackson than in North Augusta? What's going on?

I see the mayor wasted no time to get his face on TV to tout the Costco announcement. Too bad he didn't mention that we, the taxpayers, are giving them $10 million in sales tax dollars. And why can't Costco come to south Augusta, especially if we are paying them all this money to come here?

Headline: "65% Favor Getting Rid of Entire Congress and Starting Over." Amen! (And the same for state and local pols.)

Bravo to the responsible mothers lately who reported their children for illegal tattoos and for the horrifying act of burning a chicken alive with a blowtorch. A pox on those idiot sons.

Hooray for the recovery of the statue of a mother and child.

This is a rant for the Richmond County Tax Assessor office for raising my assessment and another rant for the Richmond County Board of Equalization members for siding with their colleagues' decision rather than using their own judg ment during the appeal.

To the employer who lost 17 bad workers: Don't give up. There are workers who are willing and able and not greedy for endless unemployment checks. I've worked 24 years to see a number of people unfortunately and dishonestly misrepresent themselves at the interview in order to get in and then not work hard for the money. So hang in there and the real workers are bound to hit and stay with your company.

Another godsend. My daughter and I were in the doctor's office on Oct. 4. I did not have money for my co-payment and this kind man came over and put his amount in my hand. I was so thankful to him and God. My daughter and I both cried tears of joy. I want to thank him more. When I came out of the doctor's exam room he was not there. I want to thank him more and let him know I will never forget him and I pray for him. Thanks to another angel.

Tell us what you think
Augusta resident
Augusta resident 10/30/10 - 02:01 am
OK enuf about Costco. Just

OK enuf about Costco. Just another place to shop. You won't get rich from shopping Costco or anywhere else. When I travel I see what I consider better places to live but will always call Augusta my home. Driving to Disney, I saw great big car dealerships. An awesome site. Driving around Myrtle Beach I saw great big outlet stores. I've heard of them in Gatlinburg. I think they are called Tangier Outlets. We don't have a beach or mountains. What makes Augusata "desirable" it's close proximinity to everything and very little frozen percipitation or hurricanes. Let's get back to the basics.

dani
dani 10/30/10 - 02:26 am
I have never walked into a

I have never walked into a Title Pawn so I don't have the first hand knowledge of ranter #1, but I did walk into a Wells Fargo and saw nothing disturbing.

I would assume that Costco liked the idea of building near the state line and just off the interstate. It's hard to argue with that.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 10/30/10 - 06:38 am
Southside - Clean up your

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/30/10 - 06:43 am
You could give Costco 20

You could give Costco 20 million in tax breaks and they wouldn't locate there...when you get right down to it, you wouldn't either if you owned Costco.

RCSO can barely keep up with major crime much less speeding in neighborhoods. With budget cuts, lack of staffing and now furlough days, don't expect to see more deputies anytime soon patrolling the neighborhoods....send a thank you card to your commissoners for these great decisions.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/30/10 - 08:21 am
ZenoElia
ZenoElia 10/30/10 - 08:25 am
Title Pawn? How 'bout Wells

Title Pawn? How 'bout Wells Fargo....
Jackson has every right to gouge those folks who don't know any better...
Politics and politics again...not goin' there.
Some folks are just plain crazy..I should know.
Glad to see the statue and the news about it will now end...
If RCLE was really pursuing revenue, they would get the red light runners all around town....that alone would offset any need for SPLOST..
Not many folks out there are working for anything else but money...but now n then one comes along who is honest, hard-working and not concerned w money being the object of obtaining the job...well, I can dream can't I?
I keep sayin' it:..."..the measure you give will be the measure you get.."
As RK would often say, "it's Saturday, so remember to stock up on all refreshments for Sunday's games"...now go out there and win one for the gipper. God bless and G'day.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/30/10 - 09:12 am
"Southside - Clean up your

"Southside - Clean up your neighborhoods and stand up against crime and maybe, just maybe, businesses will want to come back."

Is it the chicken, or the egg. Do the deteriorated neighborhoods cause the county to neglect South Augusta, or did the neglect of the consolidated government and the shunting of subsidized housing into the neighborhoods of South Augusta cause the deterioration?

Whichever it is, there are a couple of things that need to be considered. South Augusta is NOT south Richmond County. And regardless of the distinction, the county CANNOT keep taking our property taxes and GIVING US NOTHING. I do not know what portion of the property tax revenue comes from South Augusta and south Richmond County but I would assume it to be a significant portion and we get little, and in the case of south Richmond County, nothing for our money. We ESPECIALLY get no development and no signs that they ever intend to encourage development. But we are taxed like we are living in prosperous neighborhoods with all of the amenities. All because some jerk off at the Planning and Zoning office had the bright idea to rezone 7000 acres of vacant land to Residential which caused the taxes to go way up. And then the county took an official stance to "discourage" development "south of Spirit Creek".........after they took the money and ran.

Much of the problems in South Augusta is the neglect and social engineering by the consolidated government which does everything possible to keep the poor people on the south side, take their tax money, and give them nothing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/30/10 - 09:36 am
Why are the Scott Dean

Why are the Scott Dean threads closed to comments?

momster59
momster59 10/30/10 - 09:38 am
Rave to the ghastly ghouls

Rave to the ghastly ghouls and boo-ys who happily haunted my friends and I at Haunted Plantation last night. My young French friend was interested as to whether you especially chose to jump at him the most because he was the skinniest or because he screamed in French. I think it's because he jumped the highest and screamed the loudest. He gives a big two thumbs up to American Southern Halloween!! :-D

Beautiful day today, hope everyone keeps safe while exploring their alter egos tonight and tomorrow.

Chillen
Chillen 10/30/10 - 09:43 am
Because Dean is part of the

Because Dean is part of the good old boy network that is protected by the media.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/30/10 - 09:51 am
Chillen, I'm beginning to

Chillen, I'm beginning to wonder, too. Why were only the adopted Dean children taken from the home?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/30/10 - 10:01 am
Scott Dean said, "Since that

Scott Dean said, "Since that time, allegations, insinuations and lies were leaked to the media."

Isn't that almost verbatim what Dean said when the episode with the Columbia County employee married to the serviceman surfaced?

dani
dani 10/30/10 - 10:04 am
The thread is closed so there

The thread is closed so there would be no more comments.
But you knew that, didn't you. (- :

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/30/10 - 10:07 am
Dani, yep. But that

Dani, yep. But that challenges me. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/30/10 - 10:39 am
mary dits
mary dits 10/30/10 - 10:49 am
good cat video!

good cat video!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/30/10 - 11:23 am
Thank you Mary Dits...I like

Thank you Mary Dits...I like your funny videos too!

Jake
Jake 10/30/10 - 11:31 am
Let's see, about a week ago

Let's see, about a week ago you have a mother and daughter in court for a traffic ticket that they cannot pay and a stranger pays it for them. Now you have the same situation at a doctors office. Quite a team, I wonder what it will be next.

mel1968
mel1968 10/30/10 - 11:38 am
dichotomy, I am so glad to

dichotomy, I am so glad to see someone elese that feels the same way allot of us from the South Side do!
The sad thing is, all of that $$$ over in Columbia CO. come to Ricmaond Co. to make it maybe they need to have to start paying our road tax huh?

pommom38
pommom38 10/30/10 - 12:01 pm
LMAO @ Momster.. What fun!! I

LMAO @ Momster.. What fun!! I don't usually watch Ellen but did yesterday so could see her halloween show. OMG, it was hilarious watching all the people being scared:)
Ya know why comments were shut down. People jumping on the blame bandwagon. Can only imagine the wonderful comments left before they closed it off. Good for AC! My bf and I were just discussing that point Chillen! I said if it were any of us, the reasoning and accusations would be listed for all to read, but not a politician!!

What's it to you if they want to advertise big?? Maybe the Riverhawks need's to speak with their PR dept, then they could gain the fans they seek.

Ditto, sure is a lot of the good deeds lately. All involving muhla.. Maybe it's the same person??

Gas stations charge whatever they like. If it's so high in Jackson, then drive your car to N. Aug where it isn't. Problem solved.
We have some around here that are on average .5 a gallon cheaper, then 2 miles down the road, they are same amount higher.

Rant about speeding. It's called get your neighbors together and petition for speed bumps. Many already have, and their complaints have vanished.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/30/10 - 12:31 pm
Fly in the soup, you may say,

Fly in the soup, you may say, but a close, and very dear Friend has asked me to post the contents of an Email that I sent, last evening. I hope it does not cause a great deal of controversy.

As requested by my Friend, I am posting my opinion and thoughts pertaining to Islam and Muslims. On the premise that all Muslims are not radicals, and some are not, the majority of them are faithful to the Qur’an, and that is troublesome at best;

“I think some of the bad Muslims are "sleepers!" They migrate here, under orders from their Imam or whatever, and on a given day, they act out! I think it is prudent to be wary of anyone dressed like a Muslim, or, an Arab appearing individual acting suspicious. That's why I carry a loaded weapon.

Also, I've read much of the Qur’an, and many of the verses advocate the deceit, cheating, robbing, and killing of infidels. Infidels are anyone who is not of Islamic/Muslim faith! Reading further in the Qur’an, you will see where their viciousness comes from. Mohammed was a sick man and a child molester according to historians! How can someone like him control an entire Religion? By fear, and that's how ignorant Arabs have been brainwashed for hundreds of years!”

silly wabbit
silly wabbit 10/30/10 - 01:17 pm
pommom: oh I don't know, I

pommom: oh I don't know, I think they also close comments when "ordinary" people living in certain neighborhoods have their possible motives questioned by the commentators. There are very few politicians in comparison to the number of total citizens per capita, so one "could" view the AC as an equal opportunity "minority" supporter : ) That being said, it's probably best to not have any comments allowed for stories that have "alleged" incidents and "unidentified" participants and anyone involved who have nothing to say other than "no comment". Of COURSE, folks are going to SPECULATE (since they are given nothing else to go on). But MOST of all, what is the point of posting/printing the article at ALL, if there are no associated facts?

momster: for me, Christmas is the best holiday, but Halloween is definitely the most fun. Glad your European friend had a good time.. pumpkins are WAY better than turnips lol

Sarge: not sure this is the right forum for your posting, nor do I agree with absolutely everything you or your friend feels, but the roof of my house was torn off by a tornado several years ago and you can bet I feel uneasy EVERY time I see particularly dark skies overhead : ) Nothing wrong with wariness. That's how we learn, otherwise we'd burn our fingers many times after once having touched a lit stove.

Jake: I suspect Zeno lol

bclicious
bclicious 10/30/10 - 01:32 pm
RANTER "I would like to ask

RANTER "I would like to ask for Richmond County to please do something about speeding through our neighborhoods. It has gotten ridiculous. I am amazed more innocent people haven't been hurt. Need to meet your quota? Come to my neighborhood!"

I would advise you to invest in spike strips or speed bumps. They are a little costly, but they are guaranteed to work.

Here are a couple of website to purchase spike strips:

Here are a couple of website to purchase speed bumps:

Good luck, I hope you get one!

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/30/10 - 01:53 pm
Actually, the comments on the

Actually, the comments on the Dean case closed the other night right after someone stating to have inside knowledge posted. The poster went on about how the daughter had an "un-American" boyfriend and some other comments . Only got to read it once-quickly. I was in the process of typing back a comment and Poof!,SHUT DOWN. I didn't see anything in any of the comments where the Deans were being slammed, most posters were saying they would refrain from speculation until there was more info. I guess all 99 comments were offensive. It's all about who you are and who you know in this town. I do hope the daughter returns home. As far as who "leaked" info, Harlem is a small town and it was probably one of the Deans neighbors or a supposed "friend". Maybe this will bring attention to how DFCS is allowed to legally remove children. If there was such a threat to the children, they would have removed all the kids.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/30/10 - 02:20 pm
Re:rant about new Wells Fargo

Re:rant about new Wells Fargo signs. They look like Title Pawn signs because Wells Fargo could probably fit into that category. It would take me a couple of pages to delve into that topic. They post profits because they are the greediest company I've ever dealt with. Google Wells Fargo experiences and you'll see how they operate and what existing and previous customers have to say.

dani
dani 10/30/10 - 02:36 pm
Ho-hummmm..Time to go.

Ho-hummmm..Time to go.

bclicious
bclicious 10/30/10 - 04:33 pm
Puppymomma, Listen, Scott

Puppymomma,

Listen, Scott Dean is top notch! He and his family are in fact some of the best citizens we could ever have in the CSRA. If any of them have a fault, it would be the habit of being too involved in community affairs. A normal person works their job, pays their taxes, and votes. That's it! Scott and his family could do the same thing, but they choose to be proactive in Columbia County instead of sitting back and watching things happen. In other words, they choose to be part of forming a solution, and not contributing to old and new problems.

In Harlem, our citizens will forever owe Scott Dean a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid. Scott will undoubtedly go down in history as the best and most proactive Mayor that Harlem has, and will ever see.

As for the situation with his adopted children. I think it all goes back to the fact that a lot of people put the Deans down for adopting those children in the first place. For most people it is hard to understand how the Deans could ever afford to do what they did, or why they would ever want to. In order to understand that, you would have to know them first. The Deans are good christian people, and because of that, they wanted to do an honorable and charitable thing by sharing their wealth and love with those less fortunate. There was never any other agenda than that!

Now if you understand everything I have said thus far, you might be able to understand why I believe that neither Scott nor any of his family would ever do anything to hurt or neglect any of those adopted children.

YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES FOR TALKING DOWN ABOUT HIM! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU WERE IN A SIMILAR SITUATION!

corgimom
corgimom 10/30/10 - 04:55 pm
Parents are not perfect.

Parents are not perfect. Children are not perfect.

Just leave it at that, because no one except the Scotts and DFACS knows why the children were removed from the home.

This will all be sorted out in Family Court, as it should be.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/30/10 - 06:07 pm
And that is why the comments

And that is why the comments have been closed. There were 99 comments a couple of days ago, after which they started going off the rails, IMO, which is the exact same time that forum was closed to more comments.

Everything that needs to be said has been said, and then some. There's absolutely no reason for giving less-than-benevolent people endless opportunity to ventilate their idle, often offensive speculation simply because Scott Dean is a somewhat public figure, especially when they clearly know nothing about this family, or even about social services investigations.

I applaud the decision to limit comments on stories like this. They never, ever benefit anyone.

dani
dani 10/30/10 - 06:20 pm
I don't do Halloween...so

I don't do Halloween...so tomorrow I will attend evening service and hope those who do participate have a good time. And be XTRA careful out there with the children out and about.

Marijuana-based drug works differently

Georgia Regents University and the state of Georgia have worked for months to land a marijuana-derived drug clinical trial for children with difficult seizure disorders.