Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

Gov. Perdue is claiming credit for the state school graduation rate of 80 percent. Did Perdue teach anybody? Nope. All he did was set the goal for a B minus rather than for an A plus.

Why can't ASU just play The Patch and guarantee a fixed number of rounds per week? Instead of trying to buy the course. This would help the golf course deficit nicely.

In the sports section there's a story about a former Clemson Tiger helping another football tiger with a job at SRS. It's just another example of the good ole boys helping good ole boys. Goes on and on.

Obama keeps blaming Bush and the GOP for the messes he causes. He ignores the fact that Democrats were in power the last two years of the Bush administration.

I grew up in Augusta, but moved away almost 15 years ago. I was just in town for a funeral over the weekend. It was the first time I have been back to Augusta in almost five years. One of the first places I wanted to visit was Riverwalk. I was absolutely disgusted with what I saw there. This used to be the premier attraction for the Garden City. Now it has turned into an embarrassment. Shame on the leaders in Augusta for allowing it to get trashed like this!

A rant to all the taxpayer-funded government employees that are whining about furloughs. In the private sector, businesses depend on profits to survive and to provide jobs, benefits, etc. In the real economy we do not have furloughs. W e have layoffs.

The entrance into the city on Calhoun Expressway is a disgrace. Can't we get people doing community service to clean this up? We want people to move and invest in our community. Let's make sure or front doors are clean!!

To the person who stole $1,000 Saturday night from out-of-town guests while staying at the Partridge Inn, thank you for ruining a perfect day for our brand new in-laws while attending their son's wedding. What an impression you helped make on Southern hospitality and the attempt to revitalize downtown Augusta.

Politicians are strutting around about the 80 percent graduation rate in Georgia schools. It's ironic that public education today pumps out so much socialist garbage, a kid may actually be safer if he flunks. He won't have learned; then again, he won't have become so brainwashed.

Tell us what you think
kareyclark
kareyclark 10/28/10 - 02:03 am
The entrance into the city on

The entrance into the city on Calhoun Expressway is a disgrace. Can't we get people doing community service to clean this up? NO, it's not Masters time. Deke is to busy jogging, Alvin, doesn't have a clue, and Fred is to busy picking his nose. Leadership in Augusta/Richmond County could care less. Just look at Riverwalk how it has degraded. Look at South Augusta, all the closed store fronts. Folks its time to clean house and get totally new leadership, down to every commissioner and their worthless assistants. A new City/County Manager would be a good start!

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/28/10 - 02:08 am
Karey.. I think you have the

Karey.. I think you have the post of the day (even this early)! No way to top that! Other than to say Vote Lori for mayor! http://www.loridavisformayor.com

Dionysus
Dionysus 10/28/10 - 03:03 am
ASU already has a golf course

ASU already has a golf course called "Forrest Hills" that has been adjusted/tweaked for the high level they play at. The Patch is not a suitable substitute option.

Jane18
Jane18 10/28/10 - 05:00 am
I don't know if you can say

I don't know if you can say 'good ole boys' is an accurate and JUSTIfied accusation, but, I do know from thirty years experience, it is not what you know-it is who you know, especially in the good paying jobs. Trust me, some of the ones hiring were insecure and/or jealous women.

momster59
momster59 10/28/10 - 05:02 am
Rant #1 - 80% graduation rate

Rant #1 - 80% graduation rate will come when all parents support their children. Seeing how that is not going to happen, it will get done by passing students in "summer programs" in which they learn nothing and giving them a passing grade to attend. Also by keeping violent, disruptive students in the classroom at all costs at the expense of the other students.
Rant #2 - they have a golf course. They want the Patch to build more buildings.
Rant #3 - Nepotism is what this area majors in.
Rant #4 - Have you been in a cave? War, war, more war, and yet even more war, losing the support of many of our previous allies (due to war crimes) is one of the major causes of our national debt. Unrestricted chaos in the banking industry is what lead to the collapse of the economy. Happened under Bush.
Rant #5 - Sad isn't it? Augusta has a good reputation for wanting to build nice, new, shiny playthings, but does nothing to maintain them.
Rant #6 - I think their biggest complaint is the furloughs while the head honchos are getting raises. Ahhh - that's the rub.
Rant #7 - Do you belong to any of the organizations that get out and pick up trash? I have been out with such a group and the animals that live in Augusta will throw trash AT us while we are doing this community service. DISGUSTA
Rant #8 - Sorry for the in-laws. I would like to point out that crime happens everywhere. In this downturned economy, it happens more frequently.
Rant #9 - and what "socialist garbage" are we turning out? The school curriculum is set at the state level. Both GA and SC are very conservative states. However if you truly disagree with what is being taught in public schools, you have the choice to either place your child in a private school or home school and have them brainwashed however you desire.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/28/10 - 06:00 am
momster - correction please!

momster - correction please! Animals don't throw trash - they have more sense than the morons that do.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/10 - 06:22 am
Augusta has trash in the

Augusta has trash in the streets...surely you jest. lol

I wish humans could be as clean as animals....& also be the parent an animal is....have you seen how animals slap an unruly youngster or nip at him till he behaves....elephants will run the male young off when they get "too big" for their britches...birds push the youngsters out of the nest when it's time for them to go....& most of them have a daily cleaning time.......aahhh if only humans could learn from them.

Good am CSRA-----enough rain yet??

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/10 - 06:24 am
moms....glad to

moms....glad to seeya....beginning to think you had EARLY hours.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/10 - 06:25 am
Missing corgi-the

Missing corgi-the fed---bettyboop ...& some others.. booble

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/10 - 06:30 am

Just a little wakeup call for a mass of folks......lol.....Smarties in the world...

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/10 - 06:55 am
BTW...example of Gov.

BTW...example of Gov. takeover of a business in this county...

We had a GOOD garbage service....our great minds in Gwinnett cty. decided to take over the garbage service & mandate the company throughout the county....for the past 2 weeks we were missed by the service co. They also refuse to pick up certain items that the other co, took with NO problem....NOW we have STINKING garbage left out for 2 days....& also were told that 2 separate trucks came in this subdiv to pick up trash...
What a joke....the idea was to prevent MANY trucks in the neighborhood & to do a thorough job of picking up trash...NOW we can't FIRE them...this is what you get when the gov. mandates a business...JOKE JOKE JOKE...We (my nabors) will be calling the wiseguys (commissioners) and giving them our 2 cents....SO WATCH OUT.....what the gov. mandates is not always what you need.. imho.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 10/28/10 - 07:00 am
to the last ranter, worse

to the last ranter, worse than that, how many of the 80% who graduated passed the graduation test????

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/10 - 07:03 am
Big_vike
Big_vike 10/28/10 - 07:04 am
Why don't they close the

Why don't they close the patch, its a garbage course and the land is more valuable as an extended campus for ASU than as a golf course. Its poorly run, overpriced and the amount of usage it gets is indicative of this. If it isn't self sufficient then it needs to be closed. There are better golfing options that are cheaper and they don't need funding from the city to operate.

usafvet
usafvet 10/28/10 - 07:04 am
Good morning, and So Happy

Good morning, and So Happy Its Thursday. Another beautiful day.
Dreary, wet, cloudy,gloomy, yet beautiful. Most of my days are beautiful, just some more than others. What I hate most is the moisture I feel at times from the liberals and Bush bashers. They keep telling me its rain. If so, it must be acid rain. I am anxiously awaiting Tues. night. Hope sanity prevails and we get some relief from the socialist agenda. Hope you have a good day.

rcaswell13
rcaswell13 10/28/10 - 07:12 am
This is my first time to

This is my first time to post, but I have been a daily reader for years. I see people commenting on how the president fails to do something. He is not the power broker, Congress is, It doesn't matter if he his replubican or democrat, with out the backing of Congress he can accomplish nothing. Congress, both the Senate and House of Representatives put us in this economic mess. I have also taught in our public school system and without the support of parents, children will not learn.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 10/28/10 - 07:58 am
I heard a new ad from John

I heard a new ad from John Barrow this morning where he is attempting to distance himself from Nancy Pelosi by telling us that she is way out in California … like the Speaker of the House has no impact on the laws the 12th district in Georgia are forced to abide by. This either shows a complete lack of understanding of the importance of the Speaker of the House or possibly a deliberate attempt by John to deceive the people of the 12th district.

The fact is John Barrow has voted for Nancy Pelosi to be Speaker of the House and if we give him the chance he would do it again. So if you think Nancy Pelosi is doing a great job, vote for John Barrow. But the only way we can vote against Nancy is to vote against John.

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 10/28/10 - 08:02 am
LOVE your post kareyclark!

LOVE your post kareyclark! How can we move forward and be proud of our city when we "clean house" , once a year? Superfically I might add.
Christmas in April, a beautifully wrapped empty box. I suppose if we sweep it all under the rug no one will notice. I certainly hope that no one ever trips over that rug .

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 10/28/10 - 08:16 am
I've often wondered why the

I've often wondered why the city of Augusta can't get prisoners or those sentenced to community service to do something about the trash on the streets and the overgrown medians and shoulders of the road. It's embarrassing. In an unrelated thought, in a better world, those who receive some form of government assistance would be required to give back a certain number of service hours to the community - you get a check then you go out and give back to the community. We could have some who work in a "daycare" facility for those who need to serve but have children, then we could have others who are on weedeater detail, others could help clean up the streets, etc...this system would offer a sense of pride for those on the receiving end and would also provide a valuable service(s) to the community.

kareyclark
kareyclark 10/28/10 - 08:26 am
Hatfield0278-I've often

Hatfield0278-I've often wondered why the city of Augusta can't get prisoners or those sentenced to community service to do something about the trash on the streets and the overgrown medians and shoulders of the road. Valid point Hatfield, maybe our local government can contract out a $200K study to see if it's feasible.

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 10/28/10 - 08:29 am
YES ! YES ! Another study

YES ! YES ! Another study what a jolly fine idea, however we have to wait until after the election?

PetsArePeopleToo
PetsArePeopleToo 10/28/10 - 08:33 am
Sorry ,once again I forgot

Sorry ,once again I forgot about consulting the legal department. The offenders participating in this may need some of the snappy orange vests and shoes to prevent any injury.

usafvet
usafvet 10/28/10 - 08:37 am
Hatfield0278, you are right

Hatfield0278, you are right on. I have been advocating that for years. If a person is drawing entitlement (food stamps, welfare, section 8) or any of the "gimme" programs and is able to work, they should be doing something for the good of the taxpayer. As you stated, some could be baby sitting so that the sorry mothers could not use that excuse. There is no "free" ride. Some one is paying. I am one of those as I'm sure you are. I am fed up with taking care of those that are multi-generational leeches. Enough of this socialism. As the old southern expression goes,,,,"ROOT HOG, OR DIE".

ranter3
ranter3 10/28/10 - 09:07 am
Ranter #6-I work in the

Ranter #6-I work in the private sector as well. However, I also have a spouse that works for RC in one of those "tax payer funded jobs." We count on every penny we make combined to live, just like you do I'm sure, as well as everyone else. Perhaps if the private sector jobs paid better, then the individuals who work in these "tax payer funded jobs" would not have to worry about the furlough days.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/10 - 09:41 am
Gov. Christie ditched the $9

Gov. Christie ditched the $9 billion dollar tunnel......He said the state didn't have the $$$$ for the overrides which would be in the billions.....some are mad but I like him...he has guts.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 10/28/10 - 10:22 am
Everyone should be required

Everyone should be required to get a government permit for any and all activities.

countyman
countyman 10/28/10 - 10:37 am
There are orange bags on the

There are orange bags on the ground throughout Richmond County.. Last week there were three full bags along I-520 in South Augusta...

Prisoners/inmates pick up the trash around the county frequently.. Inmates recently picked up trash on the Wrightsboro rd/I-520 exit.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/10 - 10:33 am
Well countyman they should

Well countyman they should pick it up.

New Comer
New Comer 10/28/10 - 10:33 am
It doesn't matter if you have

It doesn't matter if you have convicts picking up trash here in Augusta, unless they are at it 24 hrs a day because the people who live here are pigs. I can't tell you how aften I see people on RiverWatch throw garbage out their windows. I live in a nice neighborhood in Columbia County and walk for exercise every night and people driving in our neighborhood dump trash out their car windows. I work downtown and people in our company parking lot throw out their cigarette packing, it's really just sick and sad how ignorant people are in this city.

countyman
countyman 10/28/10 - 10:44 am
New comer... Great minds

New comer... Great minds think alike, the people of metro Augusta need to take responsibility...

The Scott Hudson's first saturday crew is a powerful group. They're citizens who don't need the government to solve their problems...

It cost money to hire deputies to watch the prisoners clean up...

Students train to be first-responders

It might seem very intense for a training scenario, but the instructors of A.R. Johnson's Teen Community Emergency Response Class believe stress and realism are the best teachers.