Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

I'M SURE THERE ARE proud fathers that see their young children under 10 years old bring down a deer. I'd rather not see these kids with their trophies. There are too many shaking bushes shot by grown men that turn out to be another hunter. Would a kid under 10 think before shooting?

THE GREAT SHOWDOWN has begun! The 'Mother of all Midterm Elections' is under way -- the Left versus the Right, Good battling Evil. The war for the hearts and minds of the Republic is coming to another mandated outcome. Sure. Just like all the previous elections, the lobbyists are on the sidelines licking their chops in anticipation of more waste, fraud and abuse, and the citizens are left wondering what went wrong that caused their party to have lost.

THIS IS A RANT for the furlough days all Richmond County employees are having to take. What an awful time of year to impose this nonsense, so close to the holidays. These employees have families to feed and kids to buy Christmas for, but who cares as long as there is money in the budget for other ridiculous things. Really great idea to take road patrol deputies off the street, as we all know there has not been any crime committed this year.

SINCE I AM PAYING road taxes on my home in South Carolina, can someone please tell me how can I put wheels on it so I can pull it down the road?

THANK YOU, three fire department guys that came and changed my smoke detector off the ceiling. Keep doing a good job and I pray that y'all stay safe.

HATS OFF TO Historic Augusta and Lucy Laney Museum for the setup of the wonderful bus tour around town Saturday. There was so much to learn from several of the historians. I sure hope there will be tours more than once a year.

THIS IS A VERY BIG RAVE for the ladies that work up there at Kangaroo gas station in Belvedere. I left my wallet up there, and they made sure I got it back. There was no money missing. There was nothing missing. These people are awesome. It is so great to know we still have honest people in the world.

OBAMA'S DRIVE & REVERSE analogy is cute, but it holds no water. When a car is going toward a cliff (as our nation is), it needs to be put in reverse before it goes over the cliff.

WHY DID MY CHILD have to pay $10 to attend a carnival during homecoming week at Laney when the principal treated the teachers to a five star hotel stay during the summer?

Tell us what you think
Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/26/10 - 01:33 am
I certainly understand budget

I certainly understand budget cuts and furlough days. We must have a balanced budget and this area certainly does not need to raise taxes. That being said, so much is wasted in our government and priorities are simply not set accordingly. Cutting sworn law enforcement personnel while crime is increasing and the Sheriff's Office already lacks the required manpower is absolutely absurd. Issuing furlough days to everyone except the Sheriff's Office was discussed but of course that would take true leaders with priorities since all of the other departments would consider that to be unfair. Our Sheriff's Office already has deplorable salaries, terrible benefits, no incentive to receive a college education, minimal training, lack of resourses, etc. Compared to other local agencies and agencies of its size statewide, the RCSO salaries are a joke. Now, our commissoners are taking away 2 days of pay which will mean less training and less deputies on the streets and yet Public Safety and Education should be the PRIMARY FOCUS of any local establsihed government. Without safety in the community, everything else spent is a complete waste. It is time for our commissoners to step up to the plate and make major changes for budgeting to the Sheriff's Office and for the Sheriff to demand fair and proper salaries for road patrol and other starting deputies. The revolving door at the RCSO will never change until comparable salaries and benefits are offered which means we will continue waisting money hiring, training and outfiting new deputies on a routine basis. Additionally, until you keep deputies in an assigned area long enough to really know the area and the people, community oriented policing will never take place.

Our Sheriff's Deputies need our support and we need adequate law enforcement protection for our area. Call, e-mail or write Sheriff Strength, Mayor Copenhaver and each and every commissoner urging them to reverse this poor decision and worry more about getting trained, qualified, educated and fairly paid deputies instead of new ballfields, trolley cars and the waste of hundreds of thousands of dollars on studies each year.

kareyclark
kareyclark 10/26/10 - 02:20 am
In reference to Rant #3,

In reference to Rant #3, furloughed employees need not worry about feeding their families and buying Christmas for the children. Fred, Deke, and Alvin (better known as the Chipmunks) will provide wonderful holiday meals and presents at the Marble Palace.

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 10/26/10 - 04:23 am
I just looked at WRDW and saw

I just looked at WRDW and saw that another young man was killed last night in Augusta. This has got to stop.

mable8
mable8 10/26/10 - 04:53 am
"THE COUNTRY HAS gone crazy

"THE COUNTRY HAS gone crazy over Halloween. Drive through Thomson and see what I mean." Are you ranting or raving? At any rate, perhaps Thomson has "gone crazy over halloween" but it doesn't apply to the rest of the country.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 10/26/10 - 05:19 am
"...buying Christmas for the

"...buying Christmas for the children." (kareyclark @ 3:20) You don't have to BUY Christmas for the children, just teach them about the birth of Jesus. Now buying Christmas PRESENTS..that's another story.

Dionysus
Dionysus 10/26/10 - 05:29 am
Ranter #3, I don't want

Ranter #3, I don't want employees who receive advance warning and are still unable to plan ahead for the loss of a few days of pay teaching children or providing public services.

cristinadh
cristinadh 10/26/10 - 05:42 am
I am sure teachers like the

I am sure teachers like the days off.. at least it's a break from these richmond county students!!

cubbie
cubbie 10/26/10 - 06:23 am
Re: Thomson, Ga. decorations.

Re: Thomson, Ga. decorations. The decorations show me a community that works together not one that has "gone crazy". A nice town and nice people. Even clean. Imagine that Augusta.

TeamLoser
TeamLoser 10/26/10 - 06:26 am
Furlough days are bad and

Furlough days are bad and worse around the holidays, they are breaking up the loss in pay across several pay checks though. At least they will still have jobs and no one was laid off yet.

I understand and emphasize with those getting hit with furlough days and less pay around the holidays, but as someone unemployed I have to say it could be worse. There are many of us out there who would be happy with even a part time job with no benefits. Those at the city can complain about the furloughs but should remember that at least they are not getting laid off and having to start a job search.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/26/10 - 07:30 am
What amazes me is that we see

What amazes me is that we see the same rants about job loss & days w/o pay on here...over & over btw....HELLO-HELLO
Do ya think 42,000 FACTORIES lost from this country had a little something to do with it!!!!
Wake up & smell the coffee....people w/o jobs can't buy ANYTHING.....when people aren't buying, the economy sinks.....when the economy sinks we will continue to lose jobs.....when we continue to lose jobs we will be in a depression......either change the direction we are in now OR ACCEPT A WELFARE COUNTRY..

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/26/10 - 07:58 am
It took THREE firefighters to

It took THREE firefighters to come out and change a smoke detector in the ceiling? There's a joke in that story somewhere and it involves wasted taxpayers money.....

sjsd17
sjsd17 10/26/10 - 08:12 am
The reason there was 3

The reason there was 3 firefighters is they went while on duty and there's always "supposed" to be a minimum of 3 on the truck at all times.

Chillen
Chillen 10/26/10 - 08:23 am
Ranter #3. Welcome to the

Ranter #3. Welcome to the reality of the recession. Everyone, except govt workers, has been suffering for 2 years. Now there is no money to pay you. So, its time for you to share the pain. Stop complaining & be happy you've got a job that only cut your pay by 2-3%. You still have great benefits & a tidy pension sum to look forward to.

Chillen
Chillen 10/26/10 - 08:25 am
Ranter #5. I'm glad you got

Ranter #5. I'm glad you got a new smoke detector compliments of the taxpaying citizens of this region. Question is. Why? They can be purchased for $15 at Walmart.

sjsd17
sjsd17 10/26/10 - 08:26 am
Chillen....you obviously

Chillen....you obviously don't work for Augusta...the benefits are not great and the pension is a joke. Most who "retire" from here get less than $1,200 a month and that's after 30+ years.

sjsd17
sjsd17 10/26/10 - 08:29 am
The smoke detector was part

The smoke detector was part of a grant from the State Fire Marshall's office for low and fixed income people...and the fire department installs them to make sure they are done properly.

urright
urright 10/26/10 - 08:31 am
State employees have been

State employees have been dealing with furlough days for a year. More money for food stamps, but no workers there to dole them out. RC can handle two without a major problem. At least they are getting the day off.

usafvet
usafvet 10/26/10 - 08:37 am
sjsd17, on one of your

sjsd17, on one of your furlough days it may give you a brighter outlook on your position if you visited those homeless under the bridges or anywhere else. Talk to those who do not have a job. You should start feeling better about yourself. If you or anyone else remained in the employment of the government, you were doing it for security, or it was the best you could do with your education and training, or you just did not have the initiative to seek better employment. Do not envy those who gave up their young lives obtaining an education, applied themselves, and became successful. Lastly, I as a taxpayer appreciate the fact that you do work and have not joined the entitlement crowd.

Chillen
Chillen 10/26/10 - 08:42 am
sjsd17 I have no benefits at

sjsd17 I have no benefits at my job. When I retire I only get what I have saved. Cry me a river. But, some of must work in the private market to support the bloated, growing government. Otherwise we really do go bust.

Chillen
Chillen 10/26/10 - 08:45 am
Low & fixed income people

Low & fixed income people already get housing money, food stamps, welfare & a plethora of benefits. Smoke detectors now too. Folks, you've gotta take care of yourselves. The government can't be Mom & Dad to you your whole life!

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/26/10 - 08:50 am
What happens when its time to

What happens when its time to change the fire detectors batteries? Will those be delivered and installed by three on duty firefighters as the need comes up to ensure that the units are working properly?

tay120487
tay120487 10/26/10 - 08:57 am
Rant #1: that's why it is a

Rant #1: that's why it is a law to wear orange when you are hinting!!!

usafvet
usafvet 10/26/10 - 08:58 am
I really thought you could

I really thought you could hint without a vest.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/26/10 - 09:01 am
Tay, I was wearing blue when

Tay, I was wearing blue when hinting what I wanted for my b.day. Had I been wearing dress code orange I might have gotten it......

happychimer
19565
happychimer 10/26/10 - 09:04 am
about the smoke

about the smoke detectors..many who get them are fixed income elderly on social security. All of them are not on welfare.

justfred
justfred 10/26/10 - 09:32 am
Eyes, had you hinted

Eyes, had you hinted nekkid.....

justfred
justfred 10/26/10 - 09:34 am
My golf game is dreadful....I

My golf game is dreadful....I 4 putt alot.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/26/10 - 09:43 am
Justfred, I tried that but he

Justfred, I tried that but he got the wrong hint........

blamar
blamar 10/26/10 - 09:44 am
Halloween in Thomson is

Halloween in Thomson is NOTHING. ---Try the Christmas lights in Harrisburg...

usafvet
usafvet 10/26/10 - 09:47 am
How many people are on the

How many people are on the entitlement roles, and even on SS fixed income that complain about the things that they can't afford, yet they have, cell phones, large screen tv, live in houses above their means, smoke, drink, drive automobiles that they can't afford, make unnecessary trips wasting fuel, have tattoos, excessive jewelry, and other things that are not "needs". There is a thing called "live within your means". But people don't want to do that, especially the dumbobama supporters. They think that they should have and enjoy anything that other people have although other people worked for what they have. In one week we have the opportunity to put some brakes on Socialism. Lets put some sanity and conservatism in office.

GRU researching liver cancer target

A new clue in a centuries-old debate about the role of inflammation in cancer could provide a unique target for deadly liver cancer and potentially other cancers as well, a researcher at Georgia ...