News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Man hospitalized after crashing motorcycle

A man was airlifted to the Medical College of Georgia hospital Friday after crashing his motorcycle about 1:15 p. m. on Evans to Locks Road.

Michael Scott Donham, 34, of the 6800 block of Hinton Woods Drive in Harlem, was traveling west on Evans to Locks Road when he drove over the railroad tracks near Grand Slam Drive, said Columbia County sheriff's Lt. Sharif Chochol. Donham lost control of his Yamaha YZF 750, which flipped and slid into the ditch.

A spokesman for the hospital said Friday evening his condition was unlisted.

fish2
fish2 10/22/10 - 02:29 pm
High rate of

High rate of speed+Motorcycle=organ donor.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/22/10 - 03:38 pm
That's why ER staff call them

That's why ER staff call them "donorcycles".

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/22/10 - 03:53 pm
Respect the bike and the

Respect the bike and the rules of the road and you will not have a problem.

exmedic
exmedic 10/22/10 - 03:56 pm
High rate of

High rate of speed+Motorcycle+ Railroad tracks =organ donor.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/22/10 - 04:00 pm
Hope if he lives and heals,

Hope if he lives and heals, he has learned a road-rash lesson.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/22/10 - 04:14 pm
I had a friend that respected

I had a friend that respected his bike and the rules and was killed when someone pulled out in front of him. Motorcycles aren't my thing. Of course my car probably isn't much safer...

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/22/10 - 05:17 pm
They may be legal on the

They may be legal on the highways, but it is simply too unsafe.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 10/22/10 - 05:27 pm
Farmboy you are so correct.

Farmboy you are so correct. Taylor B sad to say but you are correct also, I have had close calls due to other drivers not paying attn. Cell phones eating etc

follower 10/22/10 - 05:54 pm
Have been riding for years

Have been riding for years without an accident, but know I must be extremely aware of what others on the road are doing. Motorcycles are a great stress reliever, but only the mature and cautious are still alive. Even then, your chances are greatly diminished when you're on two wheels, especially if you want to explore the limits of their performance capabilities.

Hope he will be OK.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 10/22/10 - 06:50 pm
I lost a friend about 20

I lost a friend about 20 years ago in a similar accident. He lost control crossing a railroad track about 2:00 am and wasn't found until around 8:00 the next morning. I've ridden since I was 8 and haven't had any problems since wrecking a dirt bike when I was 15......I believe I've had a guardian angel riding with me though........

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 10/22/10 - 07:10 pm
There are two kinds of

There are two kinds of motorcyclists...those who have crashed, and those who are going to crash. I hope to rider survives and I hope he's learned something about limitations.

texred
texred 10/22/10 - 08:12 pm
Motorcycles and horses are a

Motorcycles and horses are a lot alike -- you had better respect them if you plan on riding either one...Besides it is not how you get on either one, it is how you get off.

RAWR
RAWR 10/22/10 - 10:23 pm
Must have been pretty bad

Must have been pretty bad since he was airlifted to MCG instead of driven in an ambulance. RogueKnight I heard that as well. Unfortunately for me it came true a month after I started riding. I was sidelined for 6 months, still feel the effects til this day, and probably will the rest of my life.

Ole School
Ole School 10/22/10 - 10:48 pm
in `81 I was hit by a drunk

in `81 I was hit by a drunk driver in Augusta , I was on a 400 , be there did that , have never owned another bike....... they are great and fun to ride but not worth the risk , for in my case I was a safe driver but that did not matter , now I have a leg full of metal !!!

corgimom
corgimom 10/22/10 - 11:23 pm
You would think a 34 year old

You would think a 34 year old man would know better.

usafvet
usafvet 10/23/10 - 12:08 am
I have been riding

I have been riding motorcycles for over 50 years. Now riding a 750 Honda Shadow. Never had a motorcycle accident, but of course missed many chances. Many idiots out there that have no respect for you or your bike, so you have to ride accordingly. In my earlier years I carried a snub-nosed .38 between tach and speedometer. When drivers appeared to not see the motorcycle, I would merely withdraw the .38 (2 in. barrel) and it is truly amazing how quickly their eyesight improved. I feel much safer flying my plane. Much, much fewer idiots to contend with. Love sports cars, Love speed, both of which are tempered by a Love of the good life.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 10/23/10 - 12:28 am
Motorcycles scare the bejebus

Motorcycles scare the bejebus out of me. You can be the safest driver in the world, but if someone hits you on that bike you have little to no protection against becoming basic street pizza. Someone hits you when you're doing a nice 55 mph.....the bike stops and YOU are still doing 55 when you hit the pavement.

Again, I have nothing against motorcycle drivers. What bothers me is the lack of real protection they have in a crash.

Yankee Sister
Yankee Sister 10/25/10 - 07:06 pm

Thank you to those of you who wish Mike well. For those of you who think a "34 year old man should know better" and immediately start talking organ donation, please keep your judgments to yourselves. This was an accident by a very experienced rider (that's why they call them accidents). Nowhere in the article is speed mentioned. Mike's family would appreciate if instead of judging from behind your keyboard you'd expend some positive energy and maybe pray that he survives this - and gee, maybe you can show a little empathy for him and his family. We hope you never have to get the call we got and that you and your loved ones never have to face the kind of struggle Mike and his family are facing.

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.