Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

Radar Capital of South Carolina, Jackson, use some of that ticket money to fix all the potholes on Highway 125.

Why on earth are there so many crooks being paid by our city? Do we not have enough non-lazy unemployed people who are willing to get off the numerous extensions of unemployment checks for a city job with some benefits?

This is a rant. My wife and I went to see the movie Secretariat at one of the local theaters. Cost of movie was $7 a piece with senior citizens discount; reasonable charge I think. Unreasonable was the $17.50 charge for two medium drinks and a medium bag of popcorn ... drinks $5 a piece, popcorn $7 . It would be wise to ask the price before ordering anything if it's not displayed. Bitter taste put a damper on a good movie.

A rave of appreciation to Armondo and Ken for taking time out of their busy schedules to change a flat tire for a frazzled female in Grovetown. Thank you, gentlemen!

This is a Rave for two gentlemen who helped me unlock my running car at the UPS Office off of Gordon Highway. I really appreciate their help and taking their time to assist me. I did not get their names, but I did want to thank them very much.

Political correctness has completely taken over government, even local governments, e.g., the Equal Employment Commission that believes government has the right to tell a private employer whom he must hire, even if that un-hired person is a criminal.

Keep "Deke the Meek"? Sorry, but not this time. I'm going with the "Steel Magnolia."

This is a rave for the support of south Augusta and especially on Peach Orchard Road. We need more restaurants open to the public 24 hours. We need more shopping. We need better convenience in our parking. There are many improvements that we can make, and especially on Peach Orchard Road.

I've been voting in Georgia gubernatorial races for 50 plus years and I've got to admit this year, with the choices we have, I might just skip it.

Regarding the incident with the Richmond County officer at Murphey Middle School. I don't believe he should've been fired. I don't believe he acted excessively. I have three children and if one of them acted like this girl did, I would want them to be treated that way.

Tell us what you think

Comments (47)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/21/10 - 06:04 am

If you really want more

If you really want more business in south Augusta, here is a simple plan. First purchase/lease the land. Second build/lease the building. Third obtain proper business license and tax ID number. Lastly, set a date for the grand opening and VIOLA there is your new business in four simple steps.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/21/10 - 06:17 am

There is a county operated

There is a county operated landfill located on US 1, south of Tobacco Rd. They will take the tires. But that would require a little effort of your part so therefore it isn't feasible.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 10/21/10 - 06:56 am

Yes- there are plenty of

Yes- there are plenty of unemeployed, non lazy people out there that would love a job. Unfortunately, they can apply all day long but if they don't meet the "quota" criteria they're passed over.

TeamLoser
TeamLoser 10/21/10 - 07:06 am

I am unemployed and would

I am unemployed and would love a city job, but they dont seem to be hiring for much that I qualify for.

DreamBig
DreamBig 10/21/10 - 07:19 am

That's why I wait for the

That's why I wait for the movie to come out at the $2 theatre on Washington Rd. For $20 bucks a family of 4 can go and get a tub of popcorn and large sodas with free refills.

corgimom
19379
corgimom 10/21/10 - 08:11 am

"This is a rant for the solid

"This is a rant for the solid waste department. I can understand why there is so much litter around Richmond County. It's because they only pick up what they want to when they want to and when they feel like it. I've had two tires out by the curb for two weeks. They've left them. No note. No reason why. They just didn't want to pick them up, I guess."

They aren't picking them up because they aren't allowed to. You have to pay an additional fee to dispose of any tire.

They have to be disposed of in a specific manner- because it's Federal law. And I think you know that.

Take your cheap self to the landfill, take your wallet, and pay the extra fee.

corgimom
19379
corgimom 10/21/10 - 08:13 am

I don't have any sympathy for

I don't have any sympathy for someone that doesn't know that theaters charge outrageous prices for refreshments. And since they are senior citizens, they are old enough to know that.

They are also old enough to know that if prices aren't posted, it is their responsibility to say "How much is that?" before purchasing.

usafvet
usafvet 10/21/10 - 08:34 am

For those uninformed

For those uninformed informers, tires, appliances, rubbish, and other extraneous materials are supposed to be picked up in Richmond county per our dictated garbage service. It is to be picked up on certain days with other restrictions. This service, like health care, was shoved down our throats, became a part of our taxes, no options on having or not having the service. So please, try to keep up with and run your own counties.

usafvet
usafvet 10/21/10 - 08:49 am

RK, unfortunately there is

RK, unfortunately there is one more step in the Richmond county cycle of business. That is closure. The Republican/democrat ratio does not allow a business to thrive, expecially in south RC. Some have tried, but do not last long.

usafvet
usafvet 10/21/10 - 08:53 am

For the ranter about services

For the ranter about services in RC, Call Augusta Cares. If the same lady is working there that I have talked to several times, you will be in for a pleasant surprise. She was so courteous and helpful, and each time my problem was resolved.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 10/21/10 - 10:39 am

dear ranter#3, i agree but

dear ranter#3, i agree but being the local political climate as it is we have plenty of free labor sitting around in the local jails doing nothing but soaking up tax dollars and not giving anything in return. they should be put to work cleaning up roadsides, cutting grass and keeping vacant lots clean from debris. our leadership can't think past the next pork, unneccessary spending project to obligate the taxpayers, in order to get the best use out of those who can live within the law

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/21/10 - 10:40 am

Headlines in our Gwinnett &

Headlines in our Gwinnett & AJC paper....our commissioner Mr. Kevin Kenerly has been indicted for taking $1 million in land deals bought by county tax money......wow...& ya'll think RC has crooks....THEY ARE EVERYWHERE.
Now that explains why our chairman resigned last week. The heat is getting hotter..

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 10/21/10 - 10:41 am

correction....it should read

correction....it should read "in order to get the best use out of those who CAN'T live withing the law"...sorry

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 10/21/10 - 10:41 am

correction....it should read

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 10/21/10 - 10:47 am

"If you really want more

"If you really want more business in south Augusta, here is a simple plan..." Forgot a few, there, RK . If this is going to be in South Augusta, purchase LOTS of insurance, both theft, hospitalization, and life. Hold a stash of cash to pass to politicians and various 'reverends' who will keep your business from falling afoul of 'the community.' Make sure you hire not the best qualified, but the 'right mixture' of employees. Plan for the installation of Baghdad-level security. If, after all this investment, after holdups, break-ins, and shoplifters, you manage to show a profit, be prepared to be reviled as a bloodsucker stealing from the people....

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/21/10 - 11:03 am

stewart....Sad but so

stewart....Sad but so true.....now if the leaders in these communities would listen & really try to clean up the crime & dirt......South Augusta could become a bustling busy area again for all kinds of restaurants & businesses....could give the teens a job in the area too.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 10/21/10 - 11:13 am

Mornin' Seenit. True that,

Mornin' Seenit. True that, but I'm as likely to become a Breck girl. Going to the shootout?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/21/10 - 11:20 am

I am, I am!

I am, I am!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/21/10 - 11:22 am

Hey 30Cal, are you out there?

Hey 30Cal, are you out there? And are you coming in for the shoot out?

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 10/21/10 - 11:29 am

Hey, Sarge! I want to, if I'm

Hey, Sarge! I want to, if I'm back in town. I was thinking of bringing my carry pieces for the ladies to try out- no hand cannons, maybe a Makarov and some .32's. Work up to the Bulldog Pug, maybe.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/21/10 - 11:33 am

stewart....You wouldn't want

stewart....You wouldn't want me at the shoot out right now....mad about our MANDATED garbage service NOT picking up our garbage---stealing commissioner----squirrels in attic---etc.......I might hit sumthin besides targets...LOL....
Anyway....our plans change from minute to minute...at first we could go & now we can't...company coming here ...maybe next time.
Maybe some can get together at Neals Barbecue later on....I suggested that to Cg......that way it wouldn't be so much work on him & his CIC....& that would be close to you too....:)

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 10/21/10 - 11:37 am

"Augusta bandit pulls gun,

"Augusta bandit pulls gun, robs store of cucumber lotion" So Sean, I see you've cut off comments on this article. Funny thing, the only inappropriate, off-topic, racist comments I read were from one poster. That level of misconduct would get us non-affirmative action types set down, but instead, you shut down the comments? I can see why the discussion board is bleeding posters. : (

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/21/10 - 11:37 am

Hi Stew, yep, that might be a

Hi Stew, yep, that might be a good idea. I hope the ladies come. I'm going to be there, although I'll be almost immobile. George has promised to "cart" me where I need to go, so I should be able to make it to the firing line! ( Had my legs treated and bandaged since last week. Got new bandages yesterday.)

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/21/10 - 11:39 am

It was a suggestion I also

It was a suggestion I also made; don't close the topic, shut down the offending poster!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/21/10 - 11:41 am

Hi SB4, where is Neal's BBQ?

Hi SB4, where is Neal's BBQ?

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 10/21/10 - 11:44 am

Seenit, I find shooting to be

Seenit, I find shooting to be relaxing, the need for concentration, very Zen-like.

I don't know if they're still around, or even coming, but several posters in the past were inquiring about carry guns, I thought if they wanted to, they could (safely) handle and fire my recommended firearms.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/21/10 - 11:48 am

The barbecue place is in the

The barbecue place is in the Harlem area...right down from Adams Chapel rd.. Cg said it was 7 miles from his house...my daughter lives in that area......going toward Thomson from the city of Harlem it's just a few miles & on the right side....I know we have many nice places to check out & CG might be partial to his Broad St. place.....just need a big round table if possible. (You can choose CG) not trying to stress you out anymore than ya already are from building.. :)

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 10/21/10 - 11:49 am

Gotta go; babysitting my

Gotta go; babysitting my three week old grandson. 8 {)-

Check back in tonight, if I can.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 10/21/10 - 11:54 am

Tires are supposed to be

Tires are supposed to be picked up on the "solid waste" day AT NO EXTRA CHARGE (see http://www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?NID=663).

Items not picked up because they do not meet the guidelines are supposed to be "red tagged" (see http://www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?NID=676).

The ranter needs to contact http://www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?NID=665.

dstewartsr