'Stop-loss' bonus pay going out

  • Follow Metro

Time is running out for service members to claim bonus pay owed to them under the government's so-called "stop-loss" policy.

Anyone subjected to the policy -- which is the involuntary extension of a service member's active duty enlistment contract -- from 2001 to 2009 is entitled to special pay from the government.

The deadline for the Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay program was scheduled to be Oct. 21, but President Obama recently signed legislation to extend it until Dec. 3. More than 145,000 people are eligible for the pay.

Service members and veterans are entitled to $500 for each month or partial month they were on stop-loss status, according to the U.S. Department of Defense.

Officials at both Fort Gordon and the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center in Augusta said they are not involved in the program and urged service members to use the government's Web site.

In a recent statement on the DOD's Web site, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates urged eligible service members to apply.

"If you were affected by Stop Loss, ... I would encourage you to go to www.defense.gov/stoploss to learn more," Gates said.

"The average payment has been about $3,800. But don't wait too long," Gates said.

For more details

Service members can call or log on to apply for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay:

ARMY: (877) 736-5554

MARINE CORPS: (877) 242-2830

NAVY: (901) 874-4427

AIR FORCE: (800) 525-0102

ONLINE: www.defense.gov/stoploss

Comments (5) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
mable8 10/18/10 - 07:43 am
Why should it be the service

Why should it be the service member's responsibility to "sign up" for the stop-loss pay? Since this was a government decision and they already know who these service members are, the government should be contacting them and telling them how much they will receive.

jstevens73 10/18/10 - 09:52 am
I want to say thanks to the

I want to say thanks to the AC for publishing this little story b/c it showed up on my yahoo under local stories & I thought some friends of mine may be eligible & guess what.... until today.... they had NOT HEARD about this!!! So yes, I totally agree with mable8!!! They don't have internet so I printed the form & info for them & will take it to them this afternoon. This is a prime reason I really don't wanna work for gov't of any kind... city, county state, federal... although eventually those may be the only jobs left.

jstevens73 10/18/10 - 09:58 am
Oh yeah... just to be able to

Oh yeah... just to be able to VIEW the army's stop loss webpage, ya have to fill in a captcha & "agree" that it's ok for them to access anything on your computer, the IP address & any of its peripherals... good thing I don't care.

KingJames 10/18/10 - 10:47 am
Totally agree with mable8 on

Totally agree with mable8 on this. Some forms of pay and entitlements are automatic and depend on the type of duty. When I went from shore duty to sea duty, my BAS was stopped and my sea pay started. When I was in a war zone, imminent danger pay and tax-free were started. It was part of the personnel office staff's job to make sure that stuff happened. This stop-loss pay should have been automatic for all that were effected.

corgimom 10/18/10 - 07:49 pm
People. It covers the years


It covers the years from 2001 to 2009.

A whole lot of people since that time have left the military and moved.

How would anybody know where to send the check to?

I've moved twice since 2003. So have lots of others.

Back to Top
Search Augusta jobs
Top headlines
Class action lawsuit to proceed against Sentinel Offender Services
Friday's ruling by Judge Daniel J. Craig means that anyone sentenced for a misdemeanor offense in Columbia County Superior Court may be a party to the lawsuit that seeks to recover from Sentinel ...