Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

THE VANDALS HAVE been hitting us in Brookshire off Meadowbrook Drive too. I have had to scrub my mailbox twice to remove the spray paint, and it does not come off easily. I hope they catch these punks and make them clean all of the mailboxes they vandalized.

THIS IS A RANT FOR all those political commercials between Deal and Barnes. These guys are getting nastier and nastier. I cannot wait until the election is over!

PLANTATION BLOOD NEEDS PETA to shut them down. They're running chain saws within 10 feet of the pigs at the end of the haunted house and they are obviously miserable and trying to get away from the loud noise. It might not seem like much, but it's still mistreatment and cruel. Local animal services won't look into it at all and police were there, so they won't do anything about it.

I JUST HAD TO CALL and comment on the editorial page and endorsements. I've been voting for 38 years, and in those 38 years I've seen politicians come and go. And my life hasn't changed not one bit. I know I'm just a small fish in a very large pond. Them endorsements might help The Chronicle and it might help some people that got some kind of pull somewhere, but the only thing that I've seen in the 38 years that I've been voting is that I'm 38 years older. That's the only changes that I've seen.

THIS IS A GREAT BIG rave for the worldwide news media for showing up in Chile for those trapped miners. If it wasn't for the worldwide media, the Chilean government would've just covered up the hole and buried them alive. Hats off to the media for making Chile do the right thing.

INCREASING THE AMOUNT of ethanol might reduce our dependency on foreign oil. As more corn is required it will increase grocery prices. In addition, cash-strapped Americans who own automobiles 2007 and older will be plunged further in debt as they are forced to replace their obsolete vehicle.

A BIG RAVE FOR Mayor Bloomberg of New York for his proposal to ban the buying of sodas with food stamps. The positive result of his proposal is that it can help reduce obesity and diabetes over time by the reduction in sugar intake. Let's hope that his proposal will become a permanent part of the food stamp program nationwide.

THIS IS A MILD RANT about the American flags flown at the federal courthouse. Why there are two flagpoles with flags I know not; most military installations have one flagpole for the whole base. The courthouse flags are flown 24 hours a day and are improperly lit at night. There are lights near the base of the poles, but the illumination only extends about one-third of the way up. Old Glory sits unlit at the top. Any Boy Scout will tell you that the American flag is flown at night only with proper illumination.

Tell us what you think
usafvet
usafvet 10/19/10 - 03:19 am
I think someone is being a

I think someone is being a little unfair to the government of Chile. Their President seemed genuinely concerned to me. There was much assistance and the USA did its part. Bottom line, technology, persistence, and good old brotherly love prevailed and all miners are alive and back on top.

momster59
momster59 10/19/10 - 04:26 am
Rant #1 - Keep calling, keep

Rant #1 - Keep calling, keep watching, keep painting over. They're "tagging" your neighborhood. Don't give in to the hoodlums no matter how much it takes.
Rant #2 - thank you for making me glad I don't watch commercial TV or listen to commercial radio. Won't be turning either on till after November 2.
Rant #3 - kinds of burns me up in this area. So many people don't realize their own holy book tells them to be kind to animals and not to purposely hurt them, even tells how to kill them with the least amount of pain. If you tried to help these animals, thanks for doing the right thing.
Rant #4 - In the last 38 years things have changed drastically for me and other members of racial minorities. I will choose to let my little voice be heard.
Rant #5 - don't be absurd. I can't believe the AC actually printed this dribble, they must be at the bottom of the barrel. The president of Chile showed concern and compassion for his people. This rant is a blatant show of chauvinism. In spite of what you obviously want people to think, America is not the only place in the world where we care about our people. This disaster ended much better than our own mining disasters. Rave to Chile and how they handled it; no loss of human life.
Rant #6 - here's an idea. As you increase the amount of ethanol, decrease the fields for tobacco and increase growth of corn. Less people dying of cancers, heart disease, emphysema and a host of other horrible diseases and more corn, less price increase in the grocery stores. win-win.
Rave #7 - Food stamps should not be able to be used to buy anything but good, wholesome food. No chips, no sodas, no junk food period. Get real nutrition into their children and not only break a cycle of obesity, but increase their achievement in school and thus help end the cycle of dependancy.
Rant #8 - now that you've voiced your concern here, pick up a phone or get on your e-mail and inform the people in charge of the flags at the federal courthouse. As for the courthouse folks, if you're reading this do the right thing.

momster59
momster59 10/19/10 - 04:29 am
Good morning CSRA! I'm off

Good morning CSRA! I'm off to educate the masses. Before you go out tearing at each other's throats, take a second to watch this. This is an especial shout out for a few who constantly say they follow Jesus, but like to be mean to others. Kindness is contagious, spread the infection.

TeamLoser
TeamLoser 10/19/10 - 07:39 am
People with food stamps get

People with food stamps get too much right now, cut back the amounts and they might stop buying luxury items and get more basic items. As far as good wholesome food, the steaks and crab legs I see people getting with food stamps look mighty good and wholesome to me.

#2 Most of the commercials I see are more boring/lame or just insult intelligence, I hope whoever thought those up is not getting paid for it. Maybe they have a research study that shows all Georgia voters are old men sitting at tables who like cows.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 10/19/10 - 07:59 am
How long to you plan to keep

How long to you plan to keep that 2007 vehicle? Probably not as long as you think. No one is forcing you to swap today... those changes take years and years to happen- which may not even come. Perhaps when that 2007 is a clunker, you could actually buy a fuel efficient vehicle.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/19/10 - 09:05 am
Admin and Sean, not to

Admin and Sean, not to irritate you, or suggest that your rules are improper, but why are you stopping a topic that had more hits than any others at the time? It appears you and the AC are trying to control our 1st amendment rights; “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances;” While I understand that the AC is privately owned, such as it is, unless threats were being made, the Rants and Raves topics should not have been halted. This kind of action has already taken a toll on your readers, and it’s about to take a toll on me. Stating to someone that they should “take a lengthy self assessment” of themselves, is merely a suggestion, not an insult. The Admin’s Gestapo tactics, and no explanations for their actions, will not enhance your Discussions membership. I suggest you consider a different approach to managing the Discussions topics.

countyman
countyman 10/19/10 - 09:48 am
A huge step in improving the

A huge step in improving the public transportation in Augusta.

A city bus is now equipped with a bike rack. The entire fleet will have bike racks by the end of this year

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/19/10 - 09:44 am
I enjoy the discussion on

I enjoy the discussion on these type forums but have to say lately it has gotten so strict, it's not worth it any more.

egan01
egan01 10/19/10 - 09:50 am
If they are going to sell 15%

If they are going to sell 15% Ethanol they should also be forced to sell Ethanol free gasoline that can be used in older engines, outboards, chain saws, weed eaters, ect.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/19/10 - 09:51 am
The second Smart USA will be

The second Smart USA will be selling in the USA in late 2011......but they will be built in Mexico..

GE appliance centers plan to create & preserve jobs in the USA...GE will spend $432 million on maufacturing centers in the US...This will create 500 new jobs & preserve 1166 existing jobs....The centers will be at existing locations in Louisville Ky.-Bloomington Ind.-Decatur Ala.-& Selmer Tenn. Good for GE...I will rethink my next purchase & try to buy GE.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/19/10 - 10:21 am
Hey Sarge, If a thread is

Hey Sarge, If a thread is deteriorating into petty bickering, which yesterday's R&R definitely was, we will turn comments off. We don't want fights; we want discussion and conversation.

happychimer
19566
happychimer 10/19/10 - 10:41 am
Thanks Sean. I agree with

Thanks Sean. I agree with you.

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/19/10 - 11:32 am
Thanks Sean. Too often the

Thanks Sean. Too often the R&R comments section gets hijacked and is turned into a personal chatroom. I believe you guys set up a discussion forum for that kind of chatter. It's nice to see the comments under a particular article to address the content of that article.

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 10/19/10 - 11:39 am
Sarge - your 1st Ammendment

Sarge - your 1st Ammendment rights in no way, shape, or form apply to a privately run website.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/19/10 - 12:01 pm
Sean, I agree that sometimes

Sean, I agree that sometimes the thread deteriorates into petty bickering (I've been at fault myself) but if a certain poster had been cut off after the second or third personal attack to other posters on there (not to mention myself), then I feel the discussion would not have deteriorated.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/19/10 - 12:13 pm
Much has been said lately of

Much has been said lately of the futility of voting for 3rd party candidates. Primarily that the only thing a 3rd party candidate could possibly force a runoff. People, that is part of the problem with America now. Too many have voted for the proverbial "lesser of two evils." Vote your conscious on Nov 2. Even if my vote for Monds for governor forces a runoff, don't you think that maybe Barnes and Deal may get the message that we are tired of all the political bovine waste matter? Stand up and be heard. Vote for the man/woman of your choice. No vote is ever wasted.

Besides, is there really any difference between Barnes and Deal???

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/19/10 - 12:41 pm
Emerydan, For now we do allow

Emerydan, For now we do allow chatting in the R&R; it's the back-and-forth bickering I was referring to. We created an open thread a while back specifically for chatting, but unless we enforce a ban on chatting in the R&R, no one will use it. We are in the process of discussing ways to make our comments more manageable. One of the suggestions is to get the chatting out of the R&R.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/19/10 - 12:45 pm
ICL, I wasn't moderating

ICL, I wasn't moderating yesterday. Had I been, I would have stopped it quickly. By the time I checked in, things had gotten out of control. Closing it down seemed like the best option.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/19/10 - 01:03 pm
I can always tell when Sean

I can always tell when Sean is moderating............. I get love notes :-)

How ya doing Sean???

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/19/10 - 01:08 pm
I do too roadkill. Thanks

I do too roadkill. Thanks for the explanation Sean.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/19/10 - 01:08 pm
Hey RK, I'm just trying to

Hey RK, I'm just trying to keep my head above water. I haven't had to send you many notes lately, and that's a good thing.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/19/10 - 01:10 pm
De nada ICL. Have a good day

De nada ICL.
Have a good day everybody.

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 10/19/10 - 01:29 pm
To Sargebaby, Colbalt, KSL,

To Sargebaby, Colbalt, KSL, and the rest of the regulars on this thread, as you have pointed out previously you are all up in age and experience and although I don't always agree with the comments that you make on certain subjects or should I say your opinions, I do enjoy and learn from your insight. I hope that you will not let the events of yesterday stop your participation on this sight. We all can agree to disagree on certain subjects and since we know that the AC moderaters are not going to allow the bickering then lets do some self moderating and stop a conversation when it becomes apparent that the other persons view is not going to change. I hope you all come back soon.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/19/10 - 01:30 pm
This is the second time I

This is the second time I have been to this library and there was a problem with noise. Last time, there was someone making a phone call about a question about her utility bill that could be heard all over the library. A fifteen minute phone call. For the past 20 minutes, the toddler in the next cubicle has been yapping away (not in his quiet voice) while the "adult" with him is on the computer. There is another baby in another cubicle apparently some distance away, shrieking every few minutes and talking in between. What happened to commonsense courtesy and library rules? If your child won't be quiet, TAKE THEM OUT OF THE LIBRARY!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/19/10 - 01:33 pm
I remember when elementary

I remember when elementary school classes had 30-40 students and the the children and teachers managed just fine. Now I hear teachers complaining when they have less than 20 about their workload. I realize things have changed, but have they really changed that much? Hasn't technology helped?

Trouble
Trouble 10/19/10 - 01:46 pm
dee, you have a point there,

dee, you have a point there, this is getting very very sad indeed

crackerjack
crackerjack 10/19/10 - 02:12 pm
I agree with Mayor Bloomberg,

I agree with Mayor Bloomberg, stop the purchase of sugared beverages and snack foods with food stamps.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/19/10 - 02:14 pm
I am guilty as sin for the

I am guilty as sin for the spit ball fight yesterday. I have a personality that maybe does not belong on this site. By that I mean, I will never turn the other cheek nor will I or any friend of mine be attack without returning heavy fire from me. Period.

This is the key and well spoken problem that exist on this forum:

InChristLove Tuesday, Oct. 19 1:01 PM

The moderators act just like a "Rig Jury" Some are allowed to shoot
Spit Balls and then some aren't.

I have always considered Sean as a close friend and will always be so. To prevent any lose of friendship by some of my NON-PC comments and shooting a Spit Ball now and then, I say Good by and I mean it this time.
There are other worlds to live in and past time that are not controlled by "Condition Reflex humans..You all enjoy!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/19/10 - 02:44 pm
I'm a news junkie & I like to

I'm a news junkie & I like to read the news on here & elsewhere.....this place isn't about a few posters (they will come/go) BUT I'll be darn if I will "git" run off the ranch because of some bitter comments by a few posters....We will never agree on everything, THAT's impossible..what some don't seem to get is THIS IS A BUSINESS.....we post because AC
allows us to make comments here.....I'll leave when I get ready OR AC decides to jerk me off.....so far, so good.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/19/10 - 02:53 pm
Yeptrouble....I didn't

Yeptrouble....I didn't realize I was putting sexy talk on here....Hi girl & you are still funnnnie t. :)