Black neighbors to picket SC woman's Confederate flag

Resident says it's a heritage display

SUMMERVILLE, S.C. --- Annie Chambers Caddell, whose ancestors fought in the Civil War, insists the Confederate flag flying over her home is an important reminder of her heritage. For others in the historically black neighborhood, it's an unpleasant reminder of a bygone era they'd rather not see.

Annie Chambers Caddell stands outside her home in Summerville, S.C. The Confederate flag behind her has raised concern in her predominantly black neighborhood.   Bruce Smith/Associated Press
Bruce Smith/Associated Press

Caddell, who is white, moved into the Brownsville neighborhood in June and began flying the flag about a month later. Since then, more than 200 residents have signed a protest petition, and neighbors plan to march today along the street in front of Caddell's house.

"My first reaction was they are going to do what they think they need to do," said Caddell, 50. "My second reaction was I'm not going to be here."

Caddell plans to be on nearby James Island for the wedding of a black friend. She tearfully told the town council this week that she is not racist.

She also flies the American flag from her modest brick house, and her yard has various ornaments, including a gnome, Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations, and a "Confederate Boulevard" sign on her fence.

"That flag means a lot more to me than anything I can describe to you," Caddell said. "It's my heritage, and it's my right. I'm not trying to slam anybody, and I wish I wouldn't be slammed either."

James Patterson, a 43-year-old crane operator who lives in a mobile home next door, said displaying the flag is insensitive.

"I know she has a legal right to do that on her property. But just because it's legally right, doesn't make it morally right," said Patterson, who is black. "You can put up what you want, but if this was a Jewish community and someone moved in and started flying swastika flags, there would be a lot of hell raised about that as well."

Violet Saylor, 74, a retired social worker who lives about three blocks away, said the flag brings back memories of Jim Crow in the neighborhood that she has lived in all her life.

"She shouldn't fly that flag because it represents slavery and the Ku Klux Klan that used to ride through the town and we used to have to turn our lights off and hide behind the shades," Saylor said.

The town of Summerville has said that although Caddell has the right to fly the flag, neighbors also have the right to march.

bettyboop
bettyboop 10/15/10 - 06:33 pm
not news....................

not news....................

sassygirl3914
sassygirl3914 10/15/10 - 06:54 pm
thats because thats all they

thats because thats all they know how to do..and probably have nothing better to do with their time than worry about what someone is flying in their own yard that they are paying for..in my yard i will most definately fly what i want to fly.. i may even stick it on my rooftop..they do what they want to do and its about time we do the same...thank you

robaroo
robaroo 10/15/10 - 07:05 pm
Sounds to me like her

Sounds to me like her neighbors are showing their prejudices. Will they try to ban other ethnic groups from their neighborhood?

flipa
flipa 10/15/10 - 07:10 pm
So when do we get to picket

So when do we get to picket the guettos?

southern2
southern2 10/15/10 - 07:29 pm
Apparently Miss Annie didn't

Apparently Miss Annie didn't get the memo. In this era of enforced diversity and cultural celebration, everyone has the right to be proud of their ancestors and culture except one group...those who want to express their southern heritage. It's the illusion of inclusion. You are forced to have tolerance of others, Homosexuals, Hispanics, Africans, etc, but Lord help you if you love the South Land. It's an automatic scarlet 'R' for you. I love Annie's final quote in the article, "If you don't stand for something, you'll never be anything." Thank goodness there are still a few that are willing to do just that.

depdog1002002
depdog1002002 10/15/10 - 07:32 pm
Why do people still associate

Why do people still associate the Confederate Flag to hate? If someone would pick up a book or even google the matter they would get a big history lesson. Goes hand in hand with people associating anyone of the Muslim faith as a terrorist.

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/15/10 - 07:41 pm
well shuckey darn. her

well shuckey darn. her decomoratin is somethin else an causin a ruckus. That mushroom statue is tacky tacky tacky, but I ain't about to cause a fuss over it

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/15/10 - 08:24 pm
The flag is as insensitive as

The flag is as insensitive as most history.
The neighborhood has the right to complain, but reaching a compromise is the best they can hope for.
If this same neighborhood allows loud rap music and pants worn with the crotch below the knees, then it's a very liberal neighborhood. Maybe they need to rethink their diversity attitude.
However, if it's a conservative, blue collar neighborhood filled with honest, employed, unhyphenated citizens, then Caddell needs to rethink her approach and consider a compromise.

dokken3605
dokken3605 10/15/10 - 08:32 pm
I say to heck with the

I say to heck with the compromise If I remember correctly the naacr compromised with Sc to get the Battle Flag off the top of the State House and put it onto the Statue on the Capital grounds then they turned around and started protesting the placement that they agreed to .
So to heck with compromising with liars it is her right to fly her flag just as I proudly fly them also in front of my house .

Willow Bailey
20595
Willow Bailey 10/15/10 - 08:43 pm
Now, where did all those

Now, where did all those "Constitution" experts go? Frankly, I would be more upset about all the yard tacky and the trash container on her front porch.

trimmy
trimmy 10/15/10 - 08:49 pm
Someone probably had to tell

Someone probably had to tell the white womans neighbors what the flag was. I showed a confederate battle flag to several African-Americans and they had no idea what it was or what it stood for. I showed the same flag to several white people and they didn't know what it stood for. Most people have no knowledge of their history and don't appear to care. Some people just want to stir things up. Quit whining and look to the future.

happychimer
happychimer 10/15/10 - 08:53 pm
The KKK also burned crosses.

The KKK also burned crosses. Do we get rid of the flag and the cross? I also have a strong southern heritage, and many who fought for the Confederacy. I never was taught that the flag represented hate. I was taught that it represented where I am from. I choose not to fly the flag, but if someone wants to fly it, then it is none of my business. Annie Caddell could fly the flag in her back yard if she wants to easy the minds of her neighbors.

trimmy
trimmy 10/15/10 - 09:01 pm
I wonder when the illegal

I wonder when the illegal aliens are going to get brave enough to fly their country's flag in their neighborhoods, like Grovetown.

usafvet
usafvet 10/15/10 - 09:04 pm
It would be interesting to

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 10/15/10 - 09:12 pm
ignorant is temporary stupid

ignorant is temporary stupid is forever.

happychimer
happychimer 10/15/10 - 09:13 pm
usafvet if you are that

usafvet if you are that curious, then go there and find out. Why do you think section 8 is in that neighborhood? We live near a lot of black people, but they are not section 8. They live in nice homes, and are hard working people. I never hear of crime there either.

timereader
timereader 10/15/10 - 10:08 pm
be proud of your southern

be proud of your southern heritage. keep flying that flag because i see nothing wrong with it.

KSL
KSL 10/15/10 - 10:15 pm
Nor do I.

Nor do I.

KSL
KSL 10/15/10 - 10:18 pm
Would the same people

Would the same people objecting to her flying a Confederate flag object to neighbors flying a Mexican flag? I don't think they would. But they should, more than they know.

KSL
KSL 10/15/10 - 10:21 pm
Don't give in. Don't take it

Don't give in. Don't take it down.

Harveston
Harveston 10/15/10 - 10:50 pm
Nice lady, flying the symbol

Nice lady, flying the symbol of human slavery among the descendants of those slaves. The more things change in the South, the more they stay the same.

soldout
soldout 10/15/10 - 11:02 pm
That flag is also the symbol

That flag is also the symbol of the end of slavery.

pommom38
pommom38 10/15/10 - 11:10 pm
Her property, let the flag

Her property, let the flag fly. Just because she's the new one on the block is what it's all about!!
Usavet, summerville is VERY strict on their laws about vehicles on property. If it isn't registered and have the current year sticker on it, then you have a limited time to remove it off the property or face fines.
That was one law I loved when I lived down there.
As far as the section 8, don't know. There are a lot of homes in the area that could use *improvements*, but that doesn't mean they are section 8.

georgiasouthern
georgiasouthern 10/15/10 - 11:31 pm
Give it up. The south LOST!

Give it up. The south LOST! Not to mention the flag is a symbol of REBELLION from the United States. This is not a good symbol and the KKK really gave the flag a reputation of racism. Try flying a notzi flag in Germany and see how quick a protest happens. There are just certain things countries and cultures like to forget about in history and the Confederate flag is one of them.

ispy4u
ispy4u 10/15/10 - 11:50 pm
USAVET "It would be

USAVET "It would be interesting to know how many junk cars are sitting around in her neighborhood. Her house and surrounding look neat other than her collectibles on the porch. Probably the neatest house in the neighborhood. How many section 8 houses there?" You need to seek professional help. You are fixated with Section 8. I bet if someone referred to a trailer on bricks and associated it with you, you would have a problem?

Privy
Privy 10/15/10 - 11:55 pm
If it offends someone just

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 10/16/10 - 12:46 am
@georgiasouthern...... what's

@georgiasouthern...... what's a notzi flag??????

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 10/16/10 - 12:48 am
So they signed a petition and

So they signed a petition and plan to protest, but did anyone actually try to talk to her, neighbor-to-neighbor?

Sounds to me like someone was looking for a reason to run her out of a 'historically black neighborhood'.

mable8
mable8 10/16/10 - 01:15 am
Are any of the black

Are any of the black neighbors paying this woman's mortgage, buying her groceries, paying her bills? If not, then shut up and keep your prejudices at home where it belongs. The lady has a right to honor her ancestors just as blacks have the right to honor theirs. It is not insensitive to portray history and history isn't going to be rewritten just to satisfy prejudicial minds that want to pretend certain events never happened.

mable8
mable8 10/16/10 - 01:30 am
Privy: You said: "If it

Privy: You said: "If it offends someone just remove it. I am sure that she understand how some people feel about this flag. I am pretty sure that the neighbors would not mind if she put it up inside her home." Well, I guess that can go both ways. If I said to every black person that their renditions about slavery are offensive to me, would it be okay for me to demand that they only speak of such issues in their own home? By your reckoning, everyone should bow to the other--guess what, Utopia does not exist. People are always going to be offended about some thing or some event, but they need to learn to live with that. Truth is, black slaves owned white indentured servants and in the heyday of the ante-bellum era, black plantation owners owned more black slaves and white indentured servants than any white plantation owner. It's in the history books and archives if you ever care to explore American History. Furthermore, America had slaves just like many other nations did at the time--just depended on what country and who the slaves were. Did you know that large groups of Native Americans were taken to Europe (especially Spain) as slaves? There are ghettos in Spain that house the descendants of these Native American slaves. One small tribe was shipped to Africa and turned loose in the jungles, but does anyone say anything about that? There are other things in our history that we should be paying attention to; what has been done is past and its time to move on.

Developer fined by Georgia EPD

The developer of a Grovetown subdivision has been fined by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division for failing to control erosion and other water quality control violations.