Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IS THERE GOING to be an Augusta mayoral debate? I have yet to hear about one. I know I want to hear what ideas the various candidates have instead of just sound bites on the news.

THIS IS A RAVE for the two guys who stopped to help me when my truck broke down at the corner of Martintown Road in North Augusta on Friday morning. Thank you both very much! I don't know what I would've done without you stopping. And rant for the lady in the Toyota who felt the need to sit behind me blowing her horn. Generally, madam, blinking hazard lights on a stationary vehicle mean there is some sort of issue.

I WOULD LIKE to comment on the couple in Waltons Landing with a 3-year-old whose house got slammed into the side of the garage by a hit and run car a week ago today, and still nothing has been done. The garage was totally torn off and bashed in. The elements are ruining their belongings, and the house is shifting. How safe is that?

BATTLING CRIME ON Broad Street and environs must include armed and tough cops walking the sidewalks there. Today's crooks are the worst in history. Businesses must arm themselves. Why do politicians refuse to ever mention beat cops? Budgets may be "tough." One solution would be for local government to fire two paper pushers to pay each Texas Ranger-tough beat cop.

AMEN TO YOUR notion that to again become a civilized town requires more than government effort. It requires all you suggest, especially parents. If parents did their jobs right, we wouldn't even need cops.

HEADLINE: "FANS mark Lennon's birthday." John Lennon helped drag the whole world down into illegal drugs. Why does anybody claim to "honor" him?

So now the city is going start furloughing employees. I certainly hope none of them are deputies because they are spread too thin as it is. We need all the police on the streets we can get with this crime wave going on. And why are we even discussing spending tax money on a new ballpark when we are furloughinging people? What's up with that?

MS. BURNER, I'M SORRY for the loss of your husband. I'm a Vietnam veteran. I spent four years in Vietnam. I see a lot of men with misdiagnosis and we couldn't get them to medical treatment. It wasn't the fault of the medical people. They do what they can with what they got on hand. I'm sorry for the loss of your husband. He was an outstanding soldier, from what I understand.

Tell us what you think
Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/12/10 - 01:56 am
There is plenty of waste in

There is plenty of waste in our local government that can be addressed. Instead of furloughs, remove some of the do-nothing political positions and various unnecessary employees. Cut trash service to twice per month. Turn golf courses and other type of activities over to private for-profit businesses vs. loosing government expendatures. As for public safety, that along with education should be the top priorities but sadly public safety is underfunded, understaffed and as we can see daily in the news our area is anything but crime free. As for the schools, they already take almost 70% of our local taxes and do a miserable job of educating our youth.

As for the mayoral debate - I agree, one is certainly needed.

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/12/10 - 02:34 am
according to the story in

according to the story in today's paper, it appears that police will also be furloughed.. will be interesting how that plays out.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/10 - 07:54 am
Tough beefy police on Broad

Tough beefy police on Broad St.. YEP...we need them everywhere..
John Lennon made great music.....but do we need to worship him...naw I don't think so..
Kids today don't know what a "switching" is ....believe me I do!!
Good am Augusta .... hope today is a good one for all.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/10 - 07:55 am
The Braves lost last night

The Braves lost last night score 3-2....The end game for Bobby Cox...a great guy.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 10/12/10 - 09:02 am
Augusta Commissioners, you

Augusta Commissioners, you must figure out a budget that does not reduce the number of officers on the streets of Augusta. Consider that Job # 1. I don't think it would be going too far to say we need MORE police on the streets not less.

usafvet
usafvet 10/12/10 - 09:04 am
Ranter #4, Battling crime on

Ranter #4, Battling crime on Broad St.. Countyman says Augusta is a safe town. Of course it is now Augusta, South Augusta, East Augusta, West Augusta, Southwest Augusta, middle Augusta, Old Augusta, Old county, Olde Town and who knows what is coming next? But its the BEST.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/12/10 - 09:10 am
Its time to get armed and

Its time to get armed and legal. Has anyone considered why robberies/assaults/murders were lower when everybody carried?

booble
booble 10/12/10 - 09:11 am
Where does it say to

Where does it say to "WORSHIP" John Lennon? He was a great musician, song writer and humanitarian!!! I will HONOR him if I WANT!! I don't recall any big drug issues!!! He sure wasn't doing it like Elvis!!! What, he smoked some pot?? WHATEVER!!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/12/10 - 09:12 am
Perhaps I should have said

Perhaps I should have said legally armed in my last post.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/12/10 - 09:16 am
I never knew J. Lennon was

I never knew J. Lennon was such a touchy topic. No drug issues...... Listen carefully to the lyrics of Lucy In The Sky.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/10 - 09:21 am
Good to see you again

Good to see you again booble......didn't mean to upset you about Lennon....Elvis was my hero....now we all can't "like" the same guy can we!! Worship away.......I could care less if he smoked mary.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/10 - 09:29 am
There will be a reunion for

There will be a reunion for the Great Lewis Grizzard.....Sat. & Sunday this weekend....in Moreland Ga. Are you reading this KSL...It is called "A Toast To Lewis Grizzard." This will feature friends, family & former colleagues and actor Bill Oberst Jr.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/10 - 09:31 am
RK....New gun laws won't

RK....New gun laws won't change what happened in the Hephzibah pawn shop will they....like we have said.. the criminals will always find a way to get a gun....always.

booble
booble 10/12/10 - 09:32 am
I have listen to The Beatles

I have listen to The Beatles my whole life!!! If you listen to what Paul stated it was about, "Lucy in the Sky" was NOT about drugs!!! (and SO WHAT if it was? It's a song!!!!) You need to do your homework , Road Kill. Now if you're speaking about "Puff, the Magic Dragon".... Well, there ya go!
P.S. I can find just about anything on you tube to back what I say too!!! It's all where you look!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/10 - 09:37 am
booble...If I had known J

booble...If I had known J Lennon would get you to come out & play I would have posted B4 about the man.....you have been missing from around here..:)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/12/10 - 09:43 am
Analysis of LSD.... causes

Analysis of LSD.... causes hallucinations. Distorted perception of reality.

Now listen to the lyrics again.

Trust me on this, I have done the research!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/10 - 09:46 am
I could use some feel good

I could use some feel good stuff this am RK....too many Doctors in my life this week & they don't want to give the "good" stuff..:)

dani
dani 10/12/10 - 09:48 am
And then - there was Yoko

And then - there was Yoko Ono....yuk!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/12/10 - 09:50 am
The current federal gas tax,

The current federal gas tax, which has remained unchanged since 1993, is 18.4 cents per gallon. Combined with state and other taxes, Americans pay an average of 48 cents extra on every gallon of gasoline -- any increase in the federal tax, based on proposals floated in the past, could easily push the price of regular gas to $3 a gallon.

From foxnew.com so go ahead and call me a liar then check the rest of the news outlets, but thank you Mr O for making it something we ALL pay. Even baby daddy will have to have gas to show of the 22's.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/10 - 09:55 am
I used to wonder what old

I used to wonder what old folks meant when they said "This ain't like the good ole days"....now I know what they meant....does this mean I'm old!!!

booble
booble 10/12/10 - 10:10 am
You are not alone with your

You are not alone with your "research" R. K. (wink- wink!) Those WERE the good ole days! However, does NOT take away from who and what John Lennon was.... a great songwriter, musician and, like I said before... a great humanitarian. I wish he were here!

Hi B4!!! Hope you're doing well! I read R&R everyday but sometimes I feel like I lose a couple of I.Q points when exposed to some of the stuff stated on here!

usafvet
usafvet 10/12/10 - 10:11 am
You are right RK, about ALL

You are right RK, about ALL having to pay if gasoline prices increase. Sad part is that they will steal more guns, cars, electronics, etc. to buy that 1500 dollar car, put 2500 dollars in tires and rims, another 1000 dollars or more in a ghetto blaster, thus having to snatch purses, strong arm robbery, drug dealing etc. so they can be "the man". The only thing that is going to stop some of them is the proper handling of your weapon.

usafvet
usafvet 10/12/10 - 10:13 am
Don't drive an oil burner

Don't drive an oil burner that is already low in oil.

usafvet
usafvet 10/12/10 - 10:14 am
Seenitb4, we aren't getting

Seenitb4, we aren't getting old, we're getting "gooder".

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/12/10 - 10:18 am
Seenit,you really should come

Seenit,you really should come over to the other side this morning...Doc is on a roll ..Doctor feel good!!!!

P.S This is TOTS post Sean....RK used my computer....ROFLMAOAY

usafvet
usafvet 10/12/10 - 10:19 am
ATHENS, Ga. - Authorities

ATHENS, Ga. - Authorities have arrested an ex-convict who they say used a toilet seat lid to bludgeon an Athens man to death.
I think these liberals need to ban toilet seats. Very dangerous to have around. Who knows, a child may even use one. We need GOVERNMENT CONTROL.........not.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/12/10 - 10:19 am
Third rant- Are you sure that

Third rant- Are you sure that was the question you wanted to ask.......?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/10 - 10:23 am
I have to close this thing

I have to close this thing down...gotta see the real doctors....The Doc is what got me addicted to this place...so I will tell my "other" doctors about this posting addiction & give The Doc the full blame...He is a very funny & entertaining man in my book & always will be. :o)
bbl

Tots
Tots 10/12/10 - 11:15 am
******

******

Tots
Tots 10/12/10 - 11:13 am
Seenit@10:23....You forgot he

Seenit@10:23....You forgot he is also VERY smart.....Really we miss you...

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...