Weekend wrecks take 3 lives

Three people were killed in separate wrecks over Friday and Saturday in Columbia and Aiken counties.

Back | Next
A two car wreck at Wheeler Road and Tower Drive resulted in one fatality.  Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff
A two car wreck at Wheeler Road and Tower Drive resulted in one fatality.

The first happened Friday evening as 24-year-old Johnny Clarke of North Augusta headed south on Duncan Road at a "high rate speed" on his Kawasaki motorcycle, Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said.

Clarke crossed the center line coming around a curve about 11:30 p.m. and came into the path of an oncoming pickup, Carlton said.

The head-on collision threw Clarke several hundred feet.

The pickup's driver, Barbara Davis, was taken to University Hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening, Carlton said.

About 4 p.m. Saturday, Benjamin L. Young, 27, was driving a rented Kia Spectra east on Interstate 20 in Aiken County when he drove down an embankment and hit a tree, Carlton said.

Witnesses said just prior to the wreck that Young was driving "erratically," according to the coroner.

Carlton said alcohol and drug paraphernalia were found inside the car.

Young's death was the 23rd fatal wreck in Aiken County this year.

At 6:40 p.m. Saturday in Columbia County, a two-car wreck at Wheeler Road and Tower Drive killed Kyle Loungeway, 24, of Grovetown, Chief Deputy Coroner Bonnie Holloway said.

Holloway said Loungeway was eastbound on Wheeler Road when a westbound vehicle turned in front of him.

Loungeway was trapped inside the wreckage and died, Holloway said.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/10/10 - 07:29 am
Bless their souls.

Bless their souls.

sassygirl3914
sassygirl3914 10/10/10 - 07:43 am
so sad..

so sad..

jeni78
jeni78 10/10/10 - 08:14 am
R.I.P Johnny, You will

R.I.P Johnny, You will forever be Loved and Missed!

lashnjo
lashnjo 10/10/10 - 09:18 am
This is horrible. I hate how

This is horrible. I hate how so many lives are lost every year to car accidents >.<
Has anyone ever considered that there should be a law that posthumously punishes people who make decisions like driving under the influence? For instance, if you die in a car accident because you didn't put on your seatbelt, your possessions would be taken and sold to pay back the money society used to pay for your education. I understand that this seems very evil, but the sad thing is that it would work. People would think twice before driving without their seatbelt on, or driving under the influence, because if they die, their family will be the ones to pay, not themselves.

cristinadh
cristinadh 10/10/10 - 11:47 am
horrible tragedies!!.. my

horrible tragedies!!.. my condolences

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 10/10/10 - 12:02 pm
Punishing the families of

Punishing the families of people who make critical mistakes is not the road we need to be going down. As long as there are people who make bad choices in their lives there will be others to pay the consequences. Many times the people who pay the ultimate price for their mistakes have been living on borrowed time anyway. They've made a series of bad choices and somehow survived. Karma will eventually catch up with them. Some call it thinning the herd. It's sad enough when young people make mistakes that cost their own lives, but even worse when they take the life of someone else. All I can say is this....People, PLEASE put down your cell phones and i-pods and other distractions that you have when you are driving. The life you save might be your own.

pommom38
pommom38 10/10/10 - 02:26 pm
Lash, you can't be serious!?!

Lash, you can't be serious!?! Wth are you talking about?
There is already law in effect that *punishes* for drunk driving, where the heck have you been?? It is up to the judge as to what punishment is handed down, which sadly in most cases is not much of one.
And you think by punishing surviving family, that it's going to solve the problems? OKKK..
Tell ya what, go to congress and whoever else you got to go through and pitch your idea. Then time them to see just how long it takes for them to laugh and kick you out the room:)

211lover
211lover 10/10/10 - 02:49 pm
Often I see a bumper sticker

Often I see a bumper sticker that says "Watch out for motorcycles" I wish there was one that says "Watch out for cars" Glad the lady in the truck did not get hurt by that rocket rider. "alcohol and drug paraphernalia were found inside the car" Looks like for oncethe drunk driver got the bad end of the deal. Down a hill and into a tree.. wow, really?

Cheeched
Cheeched 10/10/10 - 03:05 pm
Looks like for oncethe drunk

-------

I'm not condoning what this guy was doing before he crashed or anything but could you have sounded any less heartless? What if that was your family member that had been killed? How would you feel if people were saying things like that? Sure he made a mistake...A BIG ONE...and it cost him his life. That alone should warrant you and others to keep your mouths shut and let the families grieve. You act as if you've never done a thing wrong and let's be honest I'm sure you have because we all have at one time or another. You probably weren't/aren't any better then the poor fellow who lost his life. Try showing some compassion once and a while....

RIP to the individuals lost and my condolences to their loved ones :(

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/10 - 07:22 pm
Though it may have sounded

Though it may have sounded bad, it think what 211 is referring to is usually in drunk driving crashes its the innocent people who always get hurt and killed, usually never the drunk who caused it. I hate it life is lost period, but I too am grateful when its not innocent ones who paid the price for people who refuse to not drink and drive. Rarely do drunks kill someone their first time drinking and driving, and they never heed the thousands of warnings they got before they kill someone... or themselves. Not much sympathy for repeat offender drunk drivers from potential victims who dont drive drunk (i.e. any one of us posters and our families at any time). Even drunk drivers are potential victims when they are sober, imagine the irony in that, 10 time dui'er killed by drunk driver. Not sure if thats ever happened.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/10 - 07:24 pm
Condolences to all the family

Condolences to all the family members. You guys are victims too and didn't deserve the pain you are in.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/10/10 - 07:31 pm
I wonder what the cause of

I wonder what the cause of the wheeler road accident was. Drunk, impatience, inattentiveness of the person turning left? Sometimes even the ones with right of way could be the cause. I know of one case that an old lady pulled out in front of a speeder and was killed and the speeder wasnt charged, because he had right of way, with the homicide just of the traffic violation. The people who pulled out saw the headlights way down the road and had plenty of time, even for a speeder approaching, but when the one with right of way is driving 120 in a 45, they had no chance. I wonder if they will release what happened. Just curious. Deepest condolences to the family. My heart breaks for you all.

211lover
211lover 10/10/10 - 07:49 pm
I am not trying to be

I am not trying to be heartless, but all too many times the drunk driver walks, the victim is either dead or in the hospital, and then the judge lets the DUI'er walk with just fines.. as far as the motorcycle, all too many times these guys that ride these bikes all too fast and take risks and chances that can kill them, everytime I get close to one of these jokers at a red light or on the highway, they are gunning it, and speeding in and out of traffic.. so again, thankfully the lady was not hurt by this wild rider. And the guy that was driving eratic.. well.. make your own assumption! I am just sick and tired or crazy drivers, on drugs, drinking, on cellphones and causing death and harm to others whom drive safe! It is what it is!

giwlynda
giwlynda 10/11/10 - 08:24 am
TakeAstand... the young man

TakeAstand... the young man that died in the wreck on Wheeler Road was a friend of my daughters and her boyfriend - from what we have heard it was definitely an accident but one that could have been avoided if a little bit more caution had been exercised... I'm not sure if the driver was impatient, and again from what we have heard I dont think he was, it was just a very bad judgement call on his part and because of that there was another senseless death... there were no drugs or alcohol or anything of the sort involved, just bad decision making... my most heart felt sympathy goes out to all families involved... this one was indeed a tragedy!

crackerjack
crackerjack 10/11/10 - 09:51 am
I wonder how many posters on

I wonder how many posters on here made some bad decisions in their lives that could have had different results, but luckily didn't?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/11/10 - 12:49 pm
giwlynda, thanks for the

giwlynda, thanks for the info. That is so sad. I'm sorry for your daughter and her boyfriends loss of a friend. The other 2 accidents said alcohol may have played a factor, just wondering because they never said that on this one. We have all had days we have had a lapse in judgement while driving, even the best drivers do, and as crackerjack says, we just get lucky thank God. So sad to see someone lose any family member especially one so young who had his whole life ahead of him. My deepest condolences to all the family member of those lost on the roads this weekend, may you all find peace again one day.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/11/10 - 12:53 pm
crackerjack you are so right.

crackerjack you are so right. It has happened to everyone. But I just can't have sympathy for repeat offender drunk drivers and those who have had their driving privileges revoked for being an irresponsible driver and hurting or killing someone. They more than likely took your license so you wouldnt hurt anyone. And repeat offender drunks who don't learn a lesson is self explanatory. The reason and facts behind the accident make a world of difference. Those aren't just bad decisions, those are intentional dangerous acts they know could hurt or kill someone and could care less. That's why people are so hard on them, well everyone except the law.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/11/10 - 12:58 pm
OMG, I just looked up at the

OMG, I just looked up at the picture as I hadnt updated the page yet. That is horrible!! So scary.

georgiapitbulldogs
georgiapitbulldogs 10/11/10 - 04:32 pm
My deepest sympathy to all

My deepest sympathy to all family and friends who have lost a loved one in these crashes. A terrible thing to happen to any parent is to lose a child and these were all very young. My son knew Kyle since high school. This is just a terrible loss for everyone, no matter what the circumstances where.

degross
degross 10/11/10 - 05:01 pm
I just want to make is clear

I just want to make is clear to everyone, Kyle was not drinking and driving. The truck pulled in front of him which caused the accident. Kyle was a good person, loving husband and father. RIP Kyle

erincurry
erincurry 10/12/10 - 11:08 pm
TakeAstand..........Regarding

TakeAstand..........Regarding the wreck on Wheeler Rd....This was my brother-in-law who was a great man with a great wife, a daughter, and a son on the way. This accident was caused only because someone couldn't take the time to take an extra second, not because anyone was intoxcated or under influence of drugs, but because of a very stupid adolescent mistake. So the next time u feel the need to insinuate what U think happened in a situation, u should stop and take a second to think about what u write and who u might offend, ANOTHER STUPID MISTAKE MADE FROM JUST NOT TAKING A SECOND!!!! You do not have the right to make an assumption about this situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We love u Kyle!!!!!!!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 10/13/10 - 02:45 pm
I didn't make assumptions. I

I didn't make assumptions. I asked what happened...HUGE difference. I asked if the guy that turned in front of him was drunk or just not paying attention, not the victim. Reread the post. The other 2 accidents they said alcohol was believed to be a factor. I just asked if this was too, and I didn't even say on the part of Kyle in anyway. giwlynda understood and answered my question just fine. I'm sure in your upset condition you are just not reading correctly, so I'm not going to be rude and hope it hasnt been taken that way. I was just curious because the other 2 were alcohol related and I am highly passionate about the subject of repeat offender drunk drivers and the lax laws. As stated before, condolences to your family. Its horrible your family has to suffer through the loss of your loved one at all. Prayers to your family. My heart breaks for you all.

Jefe
Jefe 10/18/10 - 07:25 am
Most of us are quick to

Most of us are quick to complain about the Westboro Church wackos who want to protest at a sacred event - a funeral, and yet many of us do exactly the same thing by ranting, speculating, and slandering someone who died in just about every news story posted. Some of us could care less about the pain and anguish the loved ones of the deceased are experiencing as we posit our "brilliant" speculations and the musings of an unregenerate mind. If you care about the person who lost their life, don't read any of the comments, lest you find yourself vicariously attending a Westboro "church" protest where your loved one will be trashed and disrespected. There are a whole lot of open minds out there that ought to be closed for repair.God save us.

Sickness closes all McDuffie schools

One day after closing Maxwell Elementary School due to excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to ...