Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

Please someone tell me exactly why Augusta is so obsessed with buffet restaurants? Judging by how overweight many people are here, you people should refrain from eating at buffets so much.

The photo of police on the shooting range looks like everybody needs to shed a couple of pounds.

Are there very many people who have live in downtown Augusta who have not had something stolen from their homes?

Raves to Joe and Will for helping a lady in distress at the gas station on Deans Bridge Road . These men went out of their way to make sure my car got started. My grandson and I greatly appreciate them coming to our rescue.

When I was younger, I had aspirations of looking like Superman. Now that I am older, I look more like the Michelin Man.

Dear Richmond County (or any other), please send me your $7.5 million for teen pregnancy prevention and I will tell you how a low-income, working-class father kept his daughter a virgin and not a pregnant, unwed teen mother. If you are interested, please send cash first!

What happened to the money that was taken from the tax assessor's office that was in a safe that wasn't locked in an office that probably wasn't locked? It got hushed up real soon.

The city of North Augusta is spending a half-million dollars to update its police radios. With all the crime that's going on in the city of North Augusta as they expand their areas of control, they need more policemen on the street patrolling. Crime is out of hand in North Augusta. We need more patrolmen, not more radios.

There is no way that I can park downtown, walk to a restaurant, order a meal and wait for it to be prepared, eat and then get back to the car in two hours with a little window shopping done. Might as well go to the mall and won't have parking problems at all.

This rant is directed to those modern, stylish females that deliberately disregard neatness with hair that resembles a mophead and crooked parting, who spend much of their time pushing that hair out of their eyes. And a rave to those I hope will reverse this no-care, nonsense trend.

I think it's completely wrong to expect that landlord of the Eve Street place to find people a place, or to have known how the renters caused and permitted the deterioration of the home. No wonder so many people decide it's better to let their property just sit there if they can't sell, rather than rent out.

showboat
showboat 10/10/10 - 09:48 pm
Westside football is at an

Westside football is at an alltime low and this very sad. we need to start over, why would you play a 9th grader @ QB and get him beat up like you did last friday night coach, shame on you and your staff.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/10/10 - 10:16 pm
Rant 10, ever hear of

Rant 10, ever hear of Veronica Lake, starlet of the 1940's with her peek a boo hairstyle? Somehow people, styles and life went on despite her fad as they will this current one. Wait a bit, I promise that something much more shocking will be waiting for you just around the corner.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/10/10 - 10:22 pm
Last rant- nobody that has

Last rant- nobody that has ever been in the position of the landlord in this case would ever expect him to find lodging for ones who caused so much damage to their property. Who would blame him for giving them a bad recommendations on any future rental prospects, let alone finding them a new home to destroy?

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 10/11/10 - 12:56 am
I agree with Rolling Eyes on

I agree with Rolling Eyes on the last rant. I read that the property was in bad shape overall, bad roof and floors, but the lack of water and use of impromptu toilets can hardly be blamed on the landlord.

The only reason I can think of that renters wouldn't complain when a property is in horrible shape is that they didn't want anyone to see what was going on inside the house.

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/11/10 - 01:13 am
The house at 223 Eve was

The house at 223 Eve was condemned for a variety of reasons.. the filth found inside being just one of them.. The house was NOT structurally sound.. having a sagging roof and rotted floors. Even a landlord who did just the minimal in upkeep in managing his properties would have had these issues fixed long ago.. but then we are not dealing with landlord who really seemd to give a darn.

kareyclark
kareyclark 10/11/10 - 02:57 am
Rant #2 - What does being

Rant #2 - What does being overweight have to do with being able to shoot? You need to get a life and get over it. Those so called overweight cops put their life on the line to save your dumb, sorry, and skinny butt.

momster59
momster59 10/11/10 - 05:11 am
Rant #1 - While I appreciate

Rant #1 - While I appreciate that you, like myself, love the people of Augusta enough to want them to be healthy, Buffet restaurants are not the problem. I enjoy going to a Buffet restaurant because I can choose an assortment of vegetarian choices and they can choose their meat. I am not obese.
Rant #2 - Shooting and weight are not connected. The beat cops in my area and the downtown area seem fit.
Rant #3 - Theft takes place everywhere. If you haven't been reading the paper, it's been taking place in N.Augusta and Columbia County also. The only things I've had stolen in my 17 years here were taken by my ex-husband.
Rave #4 - Good people are out there. Multiply their numbers and pay it forward.
Rave #5 - follow rant #1's advice and avoid the buffet lines. Further this by exercising every day.
Rant #6 - My brother and cousins did it by threatening to beat the crap out of any boy that so much as looked at me. I did it for my kids by educating them on the consequences of careless sex, the reason abstinence is a good idea for one so young and safe sex practices. Keep the money.
Rant #7 - It got stolen. Period. They haven't figured out who the thief was because it never occurred to them to place surveillance cameras on a safe containing thousands of dollars. You and I footed the bill.
Rant #8 - and without proper communication equipment just how do you expect these officers to communicate with dispatch when a call about crime is called in? Or to call for backup? Or to call for medical?
Rant #9 - The two hour limit is proposed for curbside Broad Street parking. It amazes me how so many people claim they can't find parking downtown. I find it every time I go down there, which is almost every day. Oh wait, I don't have an issue with walking more than 5-10 feet to reach my destination.
In defense of those physically disabled, they need to do something about disabled parking and making the sidewalks more accessible. The rest of you can park around the corner and walk an extra block. It will help work off all that food from the buffet line.
Rant #10 - So now we are offended by hair? Get it through your brain, there are no fashion police. Don't be offended by my hair, I can't control it. It's as old as I am and will do what it wants.
Rant #11 - I would have more sympathy had he not lied in court by saying his property was in good shape and he would live next door to the people in the house. Now that he has been shown to be a liar, let them live with him.

momster59
momster59 10/11/10 - 05:15 am
Good morning Augusta - off to

Good morning Augusta - off to the grind mill. A rave for our men in uniform who place their lives on the line daily to protect this community even though they get little in the way of monetary compensation or respect.

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/10 - 06:08 am
"Dear Richmond County (or any

"Dear Richmond County (or any other), please send me your $7.5 million for teen pregnancy prevention and I will tell you how a low-income, working-class father THINKS HE kept his daughter a virgin and not a pregnant, unwed teen mother. If you are interested, please send cash first!"

Ah, delusions.

If his daughter stayed virginal, it was her choice- not his.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 10/11/10 - 06:22 am
maybe it was the boys' choice

maybe it was the boys' choice to keep her "virginal"

cristinadh
cristinadh 10/11/10 - 06:41 am
there are too many

there are too many temptations here in Augusta..

crackerjack
crackerjack 10/11/10 - 06:54 am
Another shooting, beating,

Another shooting, beating, and robbery 3/4 mile from the Law Enforcement Center this morning at 2:20 A.M. Happy Columbus Day!

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/11/10 - 07:00 am
1. It's not just Augusta.

1. It's not just Augusta. People go to these, especially when there is a large group, for the variety and ease of choice. When our family gets together we do cookout's at the lake in the summer and the buffet thing in the cold months. Usually if I eat one plate I'm doing well. I don't like buffet's because I have to pay the same as everyone else and only eat about 1/4 of what they do. But it works when there's a large group of us.

2. I work closely with the RCSD... for the most part they are all in good shape. A lot of people battle with their weight, just because they work for the Sheriff's Department doesn't mean they can't have the same issue most of the country has. This is a very rude comment and I wish people would lay off.

3. Good question

4. There ARE good people left in the world, far more than the bad ones that are pointed out in the media.

5. LOL! Not a rant or rave, but I enjoyed the comic relief

6. You know for a fact she's a virgin? Or did you just teach her to be safe with it? Teens that get pregnant are not the only ones out there knockin boots.

7. A question many times asked and never answered...

8. I would think said patrolmen would need a reliable way to communicate. You really think crime in North Augusta is bad? Move to Richmond County! lol

9. The mall would be happy to have your business, I'm sure. I don't like the 2 hr limit myself but... it is what it is.

10. If this is all you have to worry about in your life then consider yourself lucky indeed. Fashion is what it is. We had the huge hair in the 80's and early 90's, and people thought that was a little weird. Now we've got the shaggy unkempt look. It'll run its cycle.

11. I wouldn't expect the landlord is responsible for relocating these people. I'm not sure who thinks he is but they're wrong. I do know that these people will have a very hard time renting anywhere due to all the publicity they've received over this. The landlord is responsible for a lot of the home's condition, but the tenants just made the bad situation worse. I think they share the blame in the whole thing.

KSL
KSL 10/11/10 - 07:05 am
Good job, Abby.

Good job, Abby.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/11/10 - 07:25 am
I never have any problem

I never have any problem finding parking when I go downtown. True I may have to walk a block or two but I can't see where that hurts me in any way. I know I need more exercise. Take the first spot you find, window shop to/from the restaurant. Problem solved.

Overheard at the watch briefing for North Augusta PD. "Since we are having problems with our radios, if you need assistance fire 3 shots."

The buffets aren't the problem. It's the repeated trips to get the most for your money.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/11/10 - 07:32 am
Good morning RK... lol@fire 3

Good morning RK... lol@fire 3 shots!

tyvm KSL

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/10 - 07:51 am
Well hello Augusta.....I hope

Well hello Augusta.....I hope gaspring had to go to work this am, cause I'm sho nuf tired of debating the funeral protests.....haha I see others joined the good fight last night.....
Good to see a small item about people helping others on Deans Bridge Rd.......we have good folks everywhere, they just don't make the headlines.

usafvet
usafvet 10/11/10 - 07:53 am
Corgimom, it is absolutely

Corgimom, it is absolutely ridiculous for you to suggest that a father raising his child in a wholesome environment while showing parental responsibility doesn't have an impact on her moral character. Lack of fathers in the home has certainly had much negative impact. Too many parents want to be a friend to their children and not perform their responsibilities. I'm well aware of the "liberal generation" that shirked their responsibilities under the "guise" of "I'm just letting my children think for themselves, I'm letting them grow up." Then of course, they end up raising their grand babies. Three cheers for the DAD who cared.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/10 - 07:53 am
Cobalt...where are youse

Cobalt...where are youse hiding??? Hope you are ok. I miss yaa.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/10 - 08:00 am
You are right vet....I was

You are right vet....I was skeeered of my dad.....tried to behave. Fathers can make a big impact on a childs life. We need more dads at home with the kids.....the only way that will happen is when we change the welfare laws of"more" money when the dad isn't there.

usafvet
usafvet 10/11/10 - 08:01 am
Good morning all my

Good morning all my conservative friends. We are on the count down. I'm looking forward to a great election and hope all the silent majority will get out and help restore some sanity to our government. Seenitb4, there are some posts and posters that are better left ignored. Sensible people should not get "sucked" in by the ill informed and unintelligent.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/10 - 08:07 am
vet....we are going to early

vet....we are going to early vote....

I know I shouldn't get sucked in but some things jerk my chain....a funeral is such a sad event, it is tough enough w/o outsiders getting into the mix...I am surprised no one has been shot yet.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/11/10 - 08:08 am
I need mo' money 'cause Mom

I need mo' money 'cause Mom isn't here. But then that would be sexist.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/11/10 - 08:18 am
My daughter to me yesterday,

My daughter to me yesterday, "It's a good thing they weren't there for Kevin's funeral. You would have gotten in trouble" Thing is, she is probably right.

Kevin is a nephew KIA in Afghanistan.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/11/10 - 08:21 am
"Momster, "our new

"Momster, "our new neighborhood" doesn't advertise they "don't believe in censorship". The community forbids personal attacks. Before you were banned, you were first asked to edit your personal attack, but chose to deny it. Instead of being recalcitrant, you escalated it with Doc. Not a good move.

Then you attempted to impose political correctness by objecting to "off the reservation" as a "racial slur". You better get on the horn with CNN, Reuters, and MSNBC, because Doc found 7 uses of the phrase in the last two days with a simple search.

THAT is why you were banned and blocked from using the public areas of our site. For attacking a members person and attempting to impose YOUR will on OUR blog.

Now the rest of you folks here in AC land know the entire story. Ask those of us who populate both sites. This is the truth of the matter.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 10/11/10 - 08:24 am
dear ranter #7, the theft

dear ranter #7, the theft occurred at the tax COMMISSIONERS office, not the tax assessor's office

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/10 - 08:25 am
It takes nerves of steel to

It takes nerves of steel to stay away from fools like that.....I know I would have some "choice" words & probably do something that would make headlines.....how can anyone disregard a parents feelings at their childs funeral is beyond me.
Even corgi says they would have to pull her away from the fools.

usafvet
usafvet 10/11/10 - 08:27 am
I'm with you both Seenit and

I'm with you both Seenit and RK. Some people can't see the forest for the trees. They are so condescending and down right disrespectful to the very people that have served to retain the freedoms and rights that some people really don't deserve and certainly are not equipped to discuss it. An old quote, "better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/10 - 08:28 am
WOW..RK....folks are banned

WOW..RK....folks are banned already??? Doc can be tough when he has to be. :)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/11/10 - 08:28 am
Good Morning America, All My

Good Morning America, All My Friends and Foes.

Spent my 23rd year yesterday talking to my son in his cold grave. My only wish is I could spend on split second with james edward "Jammie" tankersley.

Read the R&R's late last night, boy do we have some real Jerks walking among us. As for the Veterans Funeral, there would be no debate about it except words from an AR-15 w/30 round clip. Act like our great King SMCICBHO and forget the constitution.

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.