Rants & Raves

IF I WERE to attend the funeral of a serviceman killed in action and protesters showed up, it would take two good men to pull me off the leader.

PARKING PROBLEMS downtown are inevitable. That's one reason businesses move outward away from town, so people can park free and leave their car there as long as they want to.

RANT TO SMOKERS: Throw your cigarette butts in an ashtray, not in the streets, your yard or other people's yards.

FOR SEVERAL YEARS I have been warning my son and son-in-law not to bike with Outspokin and similar groups in the area. I think they got the message, but in a relatively tough way. It is time to build a 30-mile track at Fort Gordon's Range Road for bikes only.

RAVE TO COLUMBIA County middle school football coaches. It's been a great season. Thank you for working with our young men and providing fun games for the parents and spectators to watch.

RAVE TO THE ROUTE supervisor delivering my paper. He was very helpful, and I appreciate his effort. Thanks a lot.

FOUNDING FATHER Samuel Adams wrote, "It is my duty to oppose ... those who would enslave my Country." It's time for modern Americans to do that. And the first way is, in November, to kick out everybody who's running for re-election for any political office.

JENNIFER KEETON should counsel the Klan on bigotry and hatred and how wrong it is.

THIS IS A RANT to some of the ranters. Half the rants I read are ridiculous -- like the one I read in the newspaper about a person not liking that a church is praising God loudly because it ruins their Sunday mornings outside! Really?

THIS IS A RANT for all of the people who want to raise the taxes on the rich because they are more prosperous. The rich already foot the entire bill for this country. Just because they have the money to spare does not give the government the right to take more money out of their pockets.

THIS IS A RANT for the Augusta solid waste department. We had a neighborhood cleanup on Fairbluff Road. Seven houses cut brush and cleared it away because we've had so many robberies on this street, we were trying to make it more visible. We thought we were doing solid waste pickup a favor by dragging it all in front of two houses, putting it nice and neat for them. And they left it. They said we had too much.

ELECTING PEOPLE LIKE (South Carolina Republican gubernatorial candidate Nikki Haley) year after year is why South Carolina is at the bottom of the barrel compared to other states.

Tell us what you think
paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 10/10/10 - 05:10 am
#1 Thank you as I am a

#1 Thank you as I am a service member and have had good friends lost....but...It is THEIR RIGHT and I feel not letting them do so would tarnish what they died for

#2 True story

#3 Agreed...except for my yard....I bought it, not you

#4 That is your inalienable right to not celebrate something that you see is negative, but to celebrate your country and yourself you have to take the good with the bad

#5 good luck with that

#6 yay columbia county has good schools

#7 yay you got your paper...wish I had gotten mine

#8 I, too, am a constitutionalist

#9 Except that bigotry and hatred are actually, more often than not, instinctive

#10 If you're talking about the church I think...they called the cops on the people for their dog barking too loudly. It is your right to rant about what you want, that includes religion...get over it

#11 I am poor and I agree with you. Trickle-down economics worked wonders under Clinton.

#12 don't know what to say about that

#13 You still have Mississippi to cushion you

carcraft
carcraft 10/10/10 - 06:35 am
I think these people that

I think these people that want to exercise their right at funerals of service members who died and add to the grief of the survivors are Disgusting! Sheriffs of these areas should consult Richmond county Sheriffs Office and they can get help in finding an appropriate venue for them to protest like Webster did for Marth Burk and her Masters protest!

justfred
justfred 10/10/10 - 07:36 am
Why not issue hand guns to

Why not issue hand guns to the pall bearers at servicemen's funerals and just look the other way

corgimom
corgimom 10/10/10 - 07:58 am
"The rich already foot the

"The rich already foot the entire bill for this country."

If the rich foot the entire bill for this country, then WHY do I pay so much in taxes- and I'm not rich?

corgimom
corgimom 10/10/10 - 08:13 am
"AS AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN, I

"AS AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN, I know the Confederacy is a part of our history. So is high blood pressure. I won't be celebrating either of them."

So, don't.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/10/10 - 08:28 am
1. I can't say what I'd do,

1. I can't say what I'd do, but I have to think I would applaud your actions under those circumstances.

2. True enough. I don't like to spend my whole time worrying over how long I've been parked.

3. I do use an ashtray, but my yard is my yard. You pay my bills then maybe I'll give you a say. Until then... well, I can't say what I want here. ;-)

4. To each their own.

5. no opinion

6. Good for you, people that do this work rarely get much recognition.

7. Nice

8. I'm so at the polls! We need a complete overhaul.

9. I'm so sick of the negative remarks about Jennifer Keeton. She's following her faith, and whether we agree with it or not, she has that right. Oh wait, I forgot... that right is only extended to non-Christians.

10. We can add yours to the list now, too.

11. Really? They foot the entire bill for the country? I'm going to hafta reassess my taxes this year then, because I obviously over-paid. I'm so far from rich I'm poor. LOL.

12. Annyoing, yes. But it would've been wise to call the department before-hand and asked them how the debri needed to be stacked, or whatever, in order for them to pick it up.

13. "People like" Nikki Haley? That doesn't really explain your objection of her. People like ... Republican? People like... Women? What's your issue?

sassygirl3914
sassygirl3914 10/10/10 - 08:45 am
Well I know as a white

Well I know as a white amercian honky the naacp is nothing but a joke. as well as the fake jesse jackson and that no good for nothing al sharpton..i will pray for the two of them hypocrites..thank you

momster59
momster59 10/10/10 - 08:46 am
As for assaulting the

As for assaulting the Westboro Church protesters -
According to their own members, they conduct themselves in such a manner as to encourage people to assault them. In their twisted minds this is getting assaulted "for Jesus". The reason they attempt to get assaulted is two fold - 1) they are able to sue the person who finally couldn't take their behavior and lashed out, a major form of fundraising for them and 2) each assault usually generates some media attention which brings in funds from all the extremist nuts like themselves and another form of fundraising.

MajorPaul
MajorPaul 10/10/10 - 09:29 am
I guess the african american

I guess the african american guy who would not celebrate the Confederacy does not like the idea of freedom, nor have any reverence for the black Confederate soldiers. There were more black soldiers in the Confederate army than there were in the Union army, and in the Confederate army they were integrated and got equal pay.
Study some history!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/10/10 - 09:50 am
Speaking of the

Speaking of the Confederacy......The Alexander Stephens State Park is only 2 miles off I-20.....we have a lot of history in Crawfordville & it's such a beautiful little town.
Good morning Augusta..

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/10/10 - 09:54 am
The situation with the

The situation with the Westboro Church protesters is one group's right to protest interfering with a familiy's right to bury their dead in peace. Conflicting rights must be resolved by the courts. The family only has one opportunity to bury their loved one and the right to do that in peace should be recognized by the courts. The Westboro protesters can say anything they wish at anytime they wish but just not near the burial. Keeping them away from a funeral does not limit there right to free speech. If there ever is an "assault" on the Westboro group I hope the only ones left to file a lawsuit are their surviving family members.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/10/10 - 09:57 am
I agree dich.....they can

I agree dich.....they can voice their opinions 3 miles away from the funeral site.....imho....ThePatriot Riders can also drown them out.

momster59
momster59 10/10/10 - 10:02 am
dichotomy - I'm on the same

dichotomy - I'm on the same page with you on this one. I educated myself after these hate filled satanists "protested" at the funeral of a friend of mine. Unfortunately, the courts overall have supported their right and their behaviors continue and now copy cat groups are coming out of the woodwork. Certain municipalities have tried to combat them by passing ordinances against protests at funerals, but unfortunately these laws have been struck down by the courts. The issue of banning funeral protests is due to come before the Supreme Court. Let us all hope that the issue is handled in favor of the grieving families and not the promoters of hate.

momster59
momster59 10/10/10 - 10:04 am
mornin' Seenit - hope you had

mornin' Seenit - hope you had a wonderful time yesterday.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/10/10 - 10:13 am
I had a great tme with the

I had a great tme with the group of about 45 now from the class of 54..What a treat to enjoy the company of folks that have known each other since childhood-kept in touch-so many memories they have shared together...I said to them they were so lucky to have that friendship over the years...Small towns have a binding love for each other & it shows in every thing they do. The building they used as a school many-many years ago was used for the reunion..

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/10/10 - 10:16 am
moms...I guess the big ole

moms...I guess the big ole mountain was a treat too. I know it was good exercise. :)

nadps53jrt
nadps53jrt 10/10/10 - 10:21 am
To ranter 4. Why do you call

To ranter 4. Why do you call yourself African/American if you were born here in America? I have a friend that was born and raised in Chille, came to America on a Visa to better her education in Collage, met a friend of mine, they got married and now she is a citizen of America. She tells everyone, "I'm an American. Not Chille American but American."
If you were born and raised here in America, yuo are American.
As for the Confederate, you probably have relitives that fought in that war if you are from the South. You need to be happy they did that to free you and keep you here in America.
I hate that the KKK flys that flag as they do but I also hate the way the NAACP blames everything on racism.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/10/10 - 10:53 am
Forth rant- Do you celebrate

Forth rant- Do you celebrate February's Black Heritage Month? While you are not required to acknowledge the Confederacy in any form, ALL races are expected to embrace a month dedicated to your single race. My kids must study it in school, our tv's broadcast all of the black heroes and the newspaper pays tribute to it.

I too won't be celebrating high blood pressure.......or your special month!

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/10/10 - 10:58 am
Fifth rant- Great idea! Are

Fifth rant- Great idea! Are you going to pay for it?

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/10/10 - 11:02 am
Last rant- Who're you

Last rant- Who're you supporting? Al Greene?

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/10/10 - 11:22 am
Very well said, Eyes.

Very well said, Eyes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/10/10 - 11:23 am

We have got to change our freebie give-a-ways....change congress & change the laws or kiss the USA goodbye!

corgimom
corgimom 10/10/10 - 11:52 am
Now, you know the last time

Now, you know the last time the protesters tried to come to Aiken, they were stopped at the SC Welcome Center....those safety inspections sure do take a long, long, time...I'm just saying.

dani
dani 10/10/10 - 11:55 am
I agree with the person who

I agree with the person who said that if the courts can stop political campaigning near a polling place, then they can certainly enforce restrictions on those horrendous protesters.

RAWR
RAWR 10/10/10 - 12:05 pm
Corgimom and Abby your taxes

Corgimom and Abby your taxes are nothing in comparison to the rich.

momster59
momster59 10/10/10 - 12:08 pm
Seenit - going to the

Seenit - going to the mountain again next week with a good looking younger fella. ;-) I'll get to enjoy two beautiful views at one time.

momster59
momster59 10/10/10 - 12:09 pm
Off to the great outdoors.

Off to the great outdoors. We desperately need rain, but it's hard to complain about this beautiful weather.

All of my Christian friends enjoy a peaceful holy day.

corgimom
corgimom 10/10/10 - 12:10 pm
Excuse me, RAWR, but I can

Excuse me, RAWR, but I can guarantee you that, as a proportionate part of my income, I pay far more of taxes proportionate to my gross income than the rich ever THOUGHT about paying.

And I have FAR LESS disposable income to pay them with, too.

Before you start, I worked for CPA firms, I prepared taxes for a whole bunch of rich people, and I know what I am talking about.

The middle class gets slammed by taxes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/10/10 - 12:12 pm
Even Warren Buffett agrees

Even Warren Buffett agrees with ya corgi....:)

corgimom
corgimom 10/10/10 - 12:15 pm
I thought about buying some

I thought about buying some Berkshire Hathaway stock. I still might.

I wanna go to the annual shareholders' meeting in Omaha.

WHOO-HOO!!!