Deal for 967 Broad still under negotiation

A deal is still being negotiated for the four-story building on Broad Street that went up for sale at auction Saturday.

While about 10 bidders attended the auction, no buyer offered a price the seller had hoped for, auctioneer Rip Shaffer said.

"Everyone is looking for a bargain when they come to an auction, and we had some bargain seekers there," Shaffer said. "We didn't come up quite as good as we thought we would."

The building at 967 Broad St. is a four-story structure with commercial space on the first floor and residential space on the third floor. The first floor retail shop closed in 2009.

Shaffer said he will be in negotiations with the prospective buyer through next week.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/10/10 - 07:03 am
I hope the prospective buyer

I hope the prospective buyer realizes that after November, the economy will begin to recover. More buyers will be willing to invest by this time next year. I hope the current owner is able to wait for the price she deserves.

corgimom
corgimom 10/10/10 - 07:56 am
Right, Cliff, the people that

Right, Cliff, the people that are going to be elected in November are miracle workers. Got it.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 10/10/10 - 09:03 am
No, they will not be "miracle

No, they will not be "miracle workers", just people who understand the effects that overbearing tax burdens put on small business. When a business owner no longer has the fear of what will happen to them in the near future, including tax increases and providing health care for employees, they will be more likely to invest in expansion. Expansion includes expenditures for buildings and equipment AND new employees.
Under Bush America had near record low unemployment rates, record low interest rates and record high stock markets. In 2006 when the Democrats took control of Congress just the opposite began to happen and the country was pushed into a near depression in a matter of months. It would be great to see downtown Augusta rival what has happened in Greenville, SC. They have a booming downtown business now.

knighttime
knighttime 10/10/10 - 09:05 am
anyone read the article in

anyone read the article in the metro spirit about the soul bar. talk about blantant dishonesty on the part of the rubios and the spirit. all credibility is gone. the masked has been lifted on the "community leader'.

WW1949
WW1949 10/10/10 - 11:34 am
Why not turn all employees of

Why not turn all employees of small businesses into subcontractors. Raise their wage 7.62 % to compensate for the Social Security that the business paid and then issue 1099's at the end of the year. Then the subcontractor would not be a direct employee and would be responsible for his or her taxes and insurance.

sjgraci
sjgraci 10/10/10 - 03:28 pm
I read the MS article

I read the MS article knightime and I failed to derive any "blatant dishonesty" while doing so. Since I was there for much of those early conversations, I found it to be very accurate and a nice trip down memory lane. There was one original Soul Bar founder and owner not mentioned in the article but I hardly found that to be "blatant dishonesty" or lacking any "credibility". I found it a bit odd when I read it but took it as old friends and business partners moving on or even more-so that it just didn't add anything to the interview. It was, after all, an article on the Rubios.

Why do you bring it up in an article on property across the street from the Soul Bar? What's your beef with the Rubio's? They have been a huge part of transforming Downtown Augusta into what it is today and will become. That was the point of the article and there is nothing dishonest about that.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/10/10 - 06:07 pm
Does anyone (besides

Does anyone (besides countyman) really think downtown will improve enough for a decent return on investment in the area? Our county citizens are relying more on more on governmnet dole, crime in that area is certainly of concern, little to no parking and the neighbors aren't exactly condusive to positive business results. It would be nice for downtown to be good again but not necessarily a good business decision, especially at this time.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/10/10 - 06:09 pm
As for the Metro Spirit, it

As for the Metro Spirit, it is now a basically downtown propoganda news with the employees changing on a weekly basis. Not really worth reading anymore.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/10/10 - 07:04 pm
Great building, what are they

Great building, what are they asking for it?

knighttime
knighttime 10/10/10 - 09:40 pm
sjgraci, it was an article

sjgraci, it was an article about the soulbar and the history of it. If you dont see the blantant factual inacuracies then so be it. judging from your previous post I dont expect you to have an objective or intellegent opinion anyway. go to the secretary of states website and view who CFO of the soulbar is. they want to part ways allright but there are laws that prevent the type of thing the rubio's are trying to do. the rubio's are not being honest or ethical in there business practices.if you want to be a pillar of the downtown community then you have to walk the walk and talk the talk. the article was a hack job by a wrag mag that jayson rubio's girlfriend happens to be the asst editor for. objective you say. go figure.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/10/10 - 10:33 pm
I hate it when the Chronicle

I hate it when the Chronicle runs the same story under two or three different filenames because you cannot follow all the reader comments coherently. Brad asked:

Great building, what are they asking for it?

Good question, Brad. The Chronicle is silent on the reserve price of the auction. Following is my comment from yesterday's version of this same story:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here is a link to the story the Chronicle ran a day or so ago, granting owner Claire (Nouveaux) Riche a free advertisement:

Holdback

It was irresponsible journalism for the Chronicle to omit the reserve price in the original article. Read the first sentence in the link and tell me what you think.

sjgraci
sjgraci 10/11/10 - 01:50 am
Then we do know each other,

Then we do know each other, unlike what you said previously. I'm not afraid to hide who I am; why do you with your screen name?

I don't have to go to any website to know who the CFO is as he is a friend of mine just like the Rubios. Futhermore, there was nothing blatantly dishonest or lacking of credibility in the article as you suggested. If there is a dispute between business partners, that is between them and the courts to decide, not you and a public forum.

knighttime
knighttime 10/11/10 - 06:28 am
you bash me for airing this

you bash me for airing this in a public forum when they get an insider at the wrag mag to write a hack job to sway public opinion. blantanly leaving out his involvement in the soul bar. you dont think the metro spirit is a public forum? not sure how you connect those dots but oh well..how you infer you know me from my previous blog is beyond me. good day....

Fat_Bladder
Fat_Bladder 10/11/10 - 12:32 pm
knighttime. i kinda thought

knighttime. i kinda thought the same thing when i read the spirit. I am buddies with all those guys involved and i thought it was rather odd. history is history and when you pick and choose to form opinion it becomes propaganda. just my thoughts...