300 jobs offered at call center

Augusta facility's growth requires more workers

One of Augusta's customer service centers is about to double in size.

Teleperformance USA announced Saturday that it will hire more than 300 staff members during the next seven weeks.

Teleperformance works with all the major cell phone providers, but Marcie Ballard, the vice president of recruiting, would not disclose which of them the expansion will serve.

"It is for a major wireless company that we have secured a new line of business, one of our existing clients," Ballard said.

The firm began accepting applications for the openings Friday, she said.

"We need to have those folks hired by the end of November," Ballard said, adding that new workers would make $10 an hour.

The company, which has its U.S. headquarters in Utah, serves Fortune 500 companies such as Microsoft, Dell, Apple, AT&T and Priceline.

When Teleperformance came to Augusta in June 2008, it was to handle calls from clients for Florida-based WellCare Health Plans Inc.

Ballard said the facility now serves three clients and has nearly 300 employees. The 50,000-square-foot customer service center is in the old Waccamaw building on Wylds Road near Augusta Mall.

Help wanted

All interested applicants are encouraged to apply at teleperformance.com.

1CowboyFan
1CowboyFan 10/10/10 - 06:17 am
Great ... more telemarketers.

Great ... more telemarketers.

OhWell
OhWell 10/10/10 - 07:28 am
Don't be overqualified or

Don't be overqualified or they won't hire you/ I relocated to Augusta had years or heath care billing with Medicaid, 2 years with WellCare and I was told I was overqualified.

floridasun
floridasun 10/10/10 - 09:15 am
I guess a $10 per hour job is

At an annualized rate of $20,800 this would be at or maybe even under the poverty level. I will be excited when I read about 300 jobs coming to Augusta that pay $25 per hour

workingirl32
workingirl32 10/10/10 - 10:07 am
I agreed with floridasun. I

I agreed with floridasun. I can't make a living out of this rediculus pay.

faithson
faithson 10/10/10 - 10:29 am
a window into the future...

a window into the future... A friend of mine (worked for awhile in this business) says these jobs are like working on a plantation in the 1800's.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/10/10 - 10:38 am
workingirl32. Learn how to

workingirl32. Learn how to spell ridiculous and it might help your job prospects. (Hint: it is not spelled "rediculus".)

Quack Quack Quack
Quack Quack Quack 10/10/10 - 10:38 am
For some, this is a screaming

For some, this is a screaming headline. It offers a job that pays $2.75 an hour more than minimum wage. Not ridiculous pay for someone without a job.
Plus Brack can say, "see what I did".

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/10/10 - 10:51 am
$10.00 an hour for people who

$10.00 an hour for people who may have been unemployed for over a year is like mana from heaven. When my husband and I relocated here we both took jobs that were far below what our qualifications would have previously paid us, but we had both been without work for 8 months and were thankful for whatever we could get. We used our last bit of savings to move here because there was no work where we were. On a whim, while visiting his father in North Augusta, he put in a few applications. He had a job before we left to go back to TN. So, for people out there saying "there's no work" they need to look again. It's there, you just may have to humble yourself a little to get it.

Chillen
Chillen 10/10/10 - 10:58 am
Wow, we have 10% unemployment

Wow, we have 10% unemployment and folks are complaining about new jobs?! This is ONLY happening because of the 99 months of unemployment "benefits"/welfare.

Get to work! $10/hour is better than sitting at home on your butt, living off the US taxpayers and making yourself terminally un-employable!

corgimom
corgimom 10/10/10 - 12:18 pm
Try paying child care on $10

Try paying child care on $10 per hour.

You can't- and eat, too.

Unless you can find someone to watch your child for about $2.50 per hour.

I paid $39 per week for child care in Augusta- in 1981.

cristinadh
cristinadh 10/10/10 - 12:52 pm
The point is to get all of

The point is to get all of the people that the taxpayers are supporting off their butts to work...

slwbbear
slwbbear 10/10/10 - 01:33 pm
Be Grateful, for GOD sakes

Be Grateful, for GOD sakes

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/10/10 - 03:27 pm
corgi, you're right that

corgi, you're right that child care is very expensive, but that still shouldn't keep someone from taking a job just because it's only $10 an hour, should it? I don't know, I've just always worked and did all I could do to support my kids. I've asked for assistance exactly twice in moments of pure desperation and that was more than enough double standard for me to stomach. I decided I would just go without as long as my children had plenty.

pommom38
pommom38 10/10/10 - 03:30 pm
It was always taught to me,

It was always taught to me, it is better to earn some money than no money. Exactly, shut the whining down and be grateful ANYONE is hiring.
Don't like telemarketer's, screen your calls and don't pick up the phone. Not rocket science. Those people deserve to earn a living as much as you and I do.

Abby-noll
Abby-noll 10/10/10 - 03:32 pm
I agree with you 100% pom

I agree with you 100% pom

TK3
TK3 10/10/10 - 08:00 pm
Dear floridasun: If you check

Dear floridasun: If you check you will see the Fed Poverty Level for 1 is $10K+ and $14K for 2 so $10 Per Hour is far ABOVE poverty level and is nothing to be ashamed of if out of work. "I guess a $10 per hour job is better than nothing,but the AC's 'screaming" headline makes this sound like something extra special. At an annualized rate of $20,800 this would be at or maybe even under the poverty level

TK3
TK3 10/10/10 - 08:30 pm
Dear Old Well; Appears this

Dear Old Well; Appears this just another telemarketing company instead of a customer service/support center. Some, but not all, telemarketing companies have bad reputations because they often instruct their telemarketers to use deceit in selling products or services or to push outright scams and those companies would rather their employees be on the desperate side and with few prospects of finding other immediate employment if they balk or think of quiting, so yes they would rather you not be "overqualified. "Don't be overqualified or they won't hire you.." Another problem with some sales companies is they say you are paid a hourly salary but sometimes turns out it is paid against "commissions", other words an advance against your "commissions" No sales, no pay, for long anyway. I hope this company is one of the better ones.

Tim Rausch
Tim Rausch 10/10/10 - 09:09 pm
Teleperformance USA is not a

Teleperformance USA is not a telemarketing company. It is an outsourced customer service center for its clients. In other words, customers of WellCare Health Plans, AT&T, Apple, etc. make a call and the people at Teleperformance pick up the phone and deal with the customers for the firm.

pommom38
pommom38 10/10/10 - 09:49 pm
Ty for clarifying that Tim. I

Ty for clarifying that Tim. I suspected that is what they did, but didn't know for sure.

countyman
19754
countyman 10/10/10 - 10:36 pm
During a bad economy jobs are

During a bad economy jobs are more important than ever.

countyman
19754
countyman 10/10/10 - 10:37 pm
The city has gained almost

The city has gained almost 400 jobs in 11 days... The 72 Solo Cup jobs were announced at the end of September...

TK3
TK3 10/10/10 - 11:50 pm
Dear Tim Rausch; Now you tell

Dear Tim Rausch; Now you tell us. Thanks but was that tidbit in the news article?

AugustaDad08
AugustaDad08 10/11/10 - 10:32 am
Obviously there are people

Obviously there are people posting here that know where there are jobs that pay more than $10, since it's beneath all of you, where are the good paying jobs? Workingirl32 since you're in agreement with floridasun, corgimom, where are these jobs? Why are you telling us that $10 is not going to pay your bills but your not telling us where the jobs are that are paying more so we can all work as hard as you to have your luxurious lifestyle? I make more than $10 an hour but if you tell me where these jobs are that have you so secure and happy i'd love to shower my family, friends, strangers, church, charities, just like I'm sure you're doing with all of your benevolence.