Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Bomb kills Aiken soldier in Afghanistan

AIKEN --- A local National Guard soldier was killed Friday in Afghanistan when the truck in which he was a passenger was damaged by an improvised explosive device.

Harley   Special
Special
Harley

Staff Sgt. Willie James Harley, 48, was with the 1221st Engineering Company based in Graniteville and Batesburg, according to Buz Yarnell, a Fort Gordon spokesman.

About 100 men in the company deployed to Afghanistan in July.

At least one other man, Spc. Luther Rabon, 32, of Lexington County, S.C., was also killed in the attack, according to Col. Peter J. Brooks, a spokesman for the South Carolina National Guard.

"Specialist Rabon and Staff Sgt. Harley were serving their country with honor and pride," Maj. Gen. Stanhope S. Spears, the Adjutant General for South Carolina, said in a news release. "The South Carolina National Guard has lost two more members of our family. My thoughts and prayers go out to their families and friends."

Harley is survived by five children, all of whom live in the area, Yarnell said.

Harley's family said Monday afternoon they did not wish to comment on his death.

Flags flew at half staff at the Army National Guard office on Bettis Academy Road on Monday as members of the battalion's Family Readiness Group discussed plans for an honor guard at each funeral.

Group members said plans should be finalized by Thursday.

ruach
ruach 10/04/10 - 02:31 pm
Thoughts & prayers for both

Thoughts & prayers for both Rabon & Harley families for their loss. May God comfort them.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/04/10 - 03:03 pm
My condolences to the Rabon

My condolences to the Rabon and Harley families. I'm so sorry for your loss. May they rest in peace.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 10/04/10 - 03:58 pm
God Bless these families!!!

God Bless these families!!!

gibzgirl
gibzgirl 10/04/10 - 05:11 pm
Spc. Luther "Will" Rabon is

Spc. Luther "Will" Rabon is survived by four young children, ranging in age from six years old to one, and his parents.

Don't quite understand why this only focuses on Mr. Harley, Lexington County (Columbia, SC) isn't that far away.

RIP Both of you, thank you so much for your service to this country, and many prayers for both of you and the families and friends you leave behind!!

Frank I
Frank I 10/04/10 - 06:14 pm
Godspeed soldiers and may

Godspeed soldiers and may your families be comforted in their sacrifices..

curly123053
curly123053 10/04/10 - 06:40 pm
My prayers are with the

My prayers are with the families of these 2 heros.I pray for peace for them all during this time.

TK3
TK3 10/04/10 - 11:22 pm
I salute them both.

I salute them both. R.I.P.
PEACE NOW!

the_source
the_source 10/05/10 - 02:26 am

Thank you for serving and protecting us, Staff Sgt. Harley and Spc. Rabon. Rest in peace. My condolences to the friends and families of these two heroes.

believe
believe 10/05/10 - 07:08 am
GIBZGIRL, Can you please

GIBZGIRL, Can you please contact me, I would like to do something for the children. remembermedolls@yahoo.com

stillamazed
stillamazed 10/05/10 - 07:27 am
Prayers to both families.

Prayers to both families.

KingJames
KingJames 10/05/10 - 08:01 am
My condolences to the

My condolences to the families of these men who gave all in service to our country.

Gibzgirl, the story probably focuses on Harley because he was from the local area. Though Lexington isn't that far away, it's still out of the area. As you can see in your link, WLTX focused their story on Specialist Rabon. It's not as if the AC didn't care about the soldier from Lexington, but their main focus appears to have been on someone with closer ties to the CSRA. This is still a tragic loss to our country, and to both families. Once again, my condolences to both families.

justus4
justus4 10/05/10 - 08:20 am
May Peace be upon those

May Peace be upon those families who lost love ones in Southwest Asia. Another life lost. Another family destroyed. Another opportunity to ask "Why?" Another lost opportunity...great country, eh?

dani
dani 10/05/10 - 08:50 am
My prayers go out for both

My prayers go out for both families. Such a tragedy.

Chillen
Chillen 10/05/10 - 09:35 am
Sad.

Sad.

teapot
teapot 10/05/10 - 09:49 am
My sympathies to both

My sympathies to both families. These two men answered the Call to duty from their nation. Their loss is the Nation's loss. Fine men, doing their duty. Our loss is Heaven's gain. May the Creator of us all give the measure of strength needed to both families. Let the rest of us HONOR these men for their ultimate sacrifice.

grinder48
2050
grinder48 10/05/10 - 09:55 am
A second to teapot's comment

A second to teapot's comment - Let us HONOR these men for their ultimate sacrifice

nadps53jrt
nadps53jrt 10/05/10 - 11:43 am
To the families, I hate to

To the families, I hate to hear of your loss. Sympathies to the families, friends and partners at arms.
I thank them and all service men and women that serve our country proud everyday and the Police andFirefighters that serve..

Sweet son
Sweet son 10/05/10 - 01:07 pm
When I am out and see a

When I am out and see a soldier in uniform I always stop and say thanks for protecting us!!!!!

KingJames
KingJames 10/05/10 - 02:47 pm
Sweet son, that means a lot

Sweet son, that means a lot more than you know. When I was still in the Navy, I went to the commissary during lunch one day. An older gentleman noticed me in uniform and told me to go ahead of him in the checkout line. It's standard policy for service members in uniform to enjoy head of the line privileges in the commissary during lunch hours, but I declined out of respect for the man's age. He insisted that I go ahead of him because, as he put it, I had "more important places to be." I thanked him as I walked ahead of him, and he replied by saying, "No. Thank you." That act of appreciation made me even prouder to serve this great country. Appreciation goes a long way. Thank you to all service men and women and their families.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/05/10 - 07:24 pm
Rest in peace Brother. Brad

Rest in peace Brother.

Brad

proudmilitarywife
proudmilitarywife 10/11/10 - 01:44 pm
Gibzgirl my husband serves

Gibzgirl my husband serves with the 1221st also and I wondered the same question as you. The answer to that is the family has discretion to what information and how much information is put out in the media that is their right.
Please keep all of our soldiers and their families in your prayers and God Bless America!

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...